PDA

View Full Version : Who will win MVP?

adrienne
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm sure there's been discussion but I don't feel like looking for it, and I just want to see how many votes for who instead of a bunch of crap reasoning.:)

King
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Of those choices, I'd say Chauncey. Of course, there's another huge case to be made for Steve Nash.

Pistons < Spurs
02-26-2006, 06:22 PM
IMO

1A: Nash
1B: Billups
3: Dirk
4: Brand

I personally think that what Nash has done without Amare, and w/ a bunch of different/new players is quite impressive, and makes him most deserving...............But I still voted for Chauncey!!!! :spin

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I think it's a very close battle between Dirk and Nash, and I'm actually leaning towards Dirk lately.

spurs=bling
02-26-2006, 06:41 PM
where is the WGAF option??

adrienne
02-26-2006, 06:43 PM
The "WGAF about MVP" option is probably not in the "who will win MVP" thread.

Pinto Bean
02-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Chauncy Billups or Steve Nash seem to be the most deserving IMO

mavsfan1000
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM
I'd say definitely Dirk. He has carried that team to a 44-11 record.

1Parker1
02-26-2006, 07:30 PM
If the Mavs manage to win the division...I'd say Dirk.
If the Lakers managed to stay above .500 and get into the playoffs...I'd say Kobe.

Who deserves it the most?
1) Billups
2) Nash

Nephets
02-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Kobe.

Pistonfan1
02-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Nash. Billups deserves mention but the other he does have other 4 starters who are very big to this team as well. Take any of the other 4 guys out of this lineup and wed have over 20 losses right now. Nash deserves it the most because of how he has led that team without Amare and with new starters.

Dunc
02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I think it should be Steve Nash, but I obviously hope it's Billups. My head says Nash, but my head says Billups.

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't really understand votes for Billups.

The Pistons are the best *team* in the league but they're only a couple of games ahead of the Mavs, who basically live or die based on the play of Dirk Nowitzki. It was one thing when the Pistons were by far the most dominant team in the league, but other teams have caught up with them.

I think if you have two equal teams and one of those teams is carried more by one individual than the other, that player should be favored in discussions of value.

adrienne
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
My head says Nash, but my head says Billups.

That must be confusing.

Dunc
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
That must be confusing.

Yeah, I guess it would be.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't really understand votes for Billups.

The Pistons are the best *team* in the league but they're only a couple of games ahead of the Mavs, who basically live or die based on the play of Dirk Nowitzki. It was one thing when the Pistons were by far the most dominant team in the league, but other teams have caught up with them.

I think if you have two equal teams and one of those teams is carried more by one individual than the other, that player should be favored in discussions of value.
Dirk's having a good year but I wouldn't rate him any better than having an even chance of getting more votes than Billups. As far as Detroit being more of a team I'd mention that Dallas has 7 players averaging at least 9+ points while the Pistons have only 4 so I don't see the case for Dirk carrying the team.

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Well Billups has three teammates averaging at least 14 points while Dirk only has two. :lol It's about more than points. The Mavs spread their minutes around much more than the Pistons do.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 07:58 PM
I think it should be Steve Nash, but I obviously hope it's Billups. My head says Nash, but my head says Billups.
Two heads, whoa!
Should have read "my head says Nash but my "other" head says Billups?

1Parker1
02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Two heads, whoa!
Should have read "my head says Nash but my "other" head says Billups?

:lmao

Dunc
Whoops. Must have been that line of coke I just finished. I meant my head said Nash, my heart says Billups. Sorry bout that.

jochhejaam
Well Billups has three teammates averaging at least 14 points while Dirk only has two. :lol It's about more than points. The Mavs spread their minutes around much more than the Pistons do.
Minutes spread around more = more team to work with = less chance of carrying the team? (I appreciate you helping me with my case :lol )

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Whoops. Must have been that line of coke I just finished. I meant my head said Nash, my heart says Billups. Sorry bout that.
I think we knew that, just havin' a bit of fun. :)

Horry For 3!
02-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Nash or Billups

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Minutes spread around more = more team to work with = less chance of carrying the team? (I appreciate you helping me with my case :lol )

You might have a point if Dirk wasn't averaging more minutes than any Piston, including Billups.

The minutes are spread among Dirk's supporting cast.

Dunc
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I think we knew that, just havin' a bit of fun. :)

Yeah, I know you knew that... I just wasn't sure about the Mavs fans, lol.

1Parker1
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
What does how many points your teammates average have to do with anything? I think Spurminator's point was that the Pistons have the best starting 5 in the NBA, and it's arguable that Billups is the Most Valuable Player on his own team. On the other hand, guys like Dirk and Nash are the main go-to guys on their team. Take them out of the lineup, and you face a completely different team.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 08:14 PM
You might have a point if Dirk wasn't averaging more minutes than any Piston, including Billups.

The minutes are spread among Dirk's supporting cast.
I suppose if Dirk were among the league leaders in minutes played I'd be more likely to buy in to your point but at 37 mins per game he only comes in at 30th in the league. Good team them Mavs. :)

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 08:19 PM
I suppose if Dirk were among the league leaders in minutes played I'd be more likely to buy in to your point but at 37 mins per game he only comes in at 30th in the league.

I don't think you understand the point I'm making in the first place.

The only reason I even addressed Minutes was because you brought up the arbitrary "9 ppg" threshold to define how much help Dirk is getting. The reason that (outside of Dirk) the points are more evenly distributed is that (outside of Dirk) the minutes are more evenly distributed.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 08:28 PM
. On the other hand, guys like Dirk and Nash are the main go-to guys on their team. Take them out of the lineup, and you face a completely different team.
Nash isn't really the main go to guy on the Suns, he was only their 4th leading scorer last year when Stoudamire was playing. This year he's averaging less than 7 field goals made per game (30th in the league) and that's with him trying to pick up the slack left by Amare's absence. Not really a go to guy.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
I don't think you understand the point I'm making in the first place.

The only reason I even addressed Minutes was because you brought up the arbitrary "9 ppg" threshold to define how much help Dirk is getting. The reason that (outside of Dirk) the points are more evenly distributed is that (outside of Dirk) the minutes are more evenly distributed.
I understand the point you're trying to make and I believe my reasoning is solid that more teammates playing more minutes and scoring more points does not equate to Dirk carrying the team. It stresses that the Mavs are getting it done with more balance than the Pistons which does not support your position that Dirk's carrying the team.

ALVAREZ6
02-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Nash, Billups, or Brand, depending on how the remainder of the season goes.

DannyT
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
im glad this board isnt biased and votes on real stats...not just hometown favorites.

CharlieMac
02-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I like Dirk. But he wont win.

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I understand the point you're trying to make and I believe my reasoning is solid that more teammates playing more minutes and scoring more points does not equate to Dirk carrying the team. It stresses that the Mavs are getting it done with more balance than the Pistons which does not support your position that Dirk's carrying the team.

That doesn't make any sense.

Dirk's minutes are 37+ per game. Regardless of whether Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry are playing 20 mpg or 35 mpg, Dirk is playing 37+. How his supporting cast's minutes are distributed is irrelevant. Your reasoning would only be valid if Dirk's minutes were also evenly distributed like the other Mavs.

They're not. For 37+ minutes per game, it is Dirk Nowitzki and four other Mavs on the floor.

If Rasheed and Rip had their minutes REDUCED, and Chauncey maintained the same minutes per game and the Pistons continued to win, would this HURT Chauncey's MVP credentials? By your logic, it would.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 10:33 PM
That doesn't make any sense.

Dirk's minutes are 37+ per game. Regardless of whether Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry are playing 20 mpg or 35 mpg, Dirk is playing 37+. How his supporting cast's minutes are distributed is irrelevant. Your reasoning would only be valid if Dirk's minutes were also evenly distributed like the other Mavs.

They're not. For 37+ minutes per game, it is Dirk Nowitzki and four other Mavs on the floor.

If Rasheed and Rip had their minutes REDUCED, and Chauncey maintained the same minutes per game and the Pistons continued to win, would this HURT Chauncey's MVP credentials? By your logic, it would.
Most minutes played doesn't have to translate to carrying the team, it simply means what is says, you log the most minutes per game. it's not as if Dirks playing 10 more minutes than every player on the team, Dirks playing 37.5, Terry's playing 34.4 and Howard's playing 33.9. Now if you want to say it's Dirk, Terry and Howard and 2 other Mavs on the floor that would make sense but not Dirk and 4 other players and that defeats your arguement.

Kobe is scoring 35.6% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Iverson's scoring 32.9% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Lebron's scoring 31.4% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Dirk is scoring only 25.2% of his teams points, nice but that is not "carrying the team".

Nash is scoring 18% of his teams points, that is not carrying the team.

Funny how the teams with 1 player shouldering the scoring load (carrying the team) are average teams.

E20
02-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Kobe, Dirk, Chauncey, or Nash.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-26-2006, 11:09 PM
The media is already hyping Billups. Barring a Pistons meltdown he'll probably win it.

Spurminator
02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Most minutes played doesn't have to translate to carrying the team, it simply means what is says, you log the most minutes per game. it's not as if Dirks playing 10 more minutes than every player on the team, Dirks playing 37.5, Terry's playing 34.4 and Howard's playing 33.9. Now if you want to say it's Dirk, Terry and Howard and 2 other Mavs on the floor that would make sense but not Dirk and 4 other players and that defeats your arguement.

Kobe is scoring 35.6% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Iverson's scoring 32.9% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Lebron's scoring 31.4% of his teams points, that's carrying the team.

Dirk is scoring only 25.2% of his teams points, nice but that is not "carrying the team".

Nash is scoring 18% of his teams points, that is not carrying the team.

Funny how the teams with 1 player shouldering the scoring load (carrying the team) are average teams.

:lol Another arbitrary limit... So what exactly is the percentage of one's team's points that, by definition, constitutes "carrying the team"? 26%? 30%?

The more you post the more confusing your argument becomes.

Are you even suggesting that Chauncey is the MVP? So far your argument has been that Chauncey is the MVP because Dirk doesn't carry his team, as evidenced by the fact that Dirk "only" plays 37 MPG (Chauncey plays 35) and that he "only" scores 25% of his team's points (Chauncey is 19%).

Can't you find any factors that favor Chauncey? Because every one of your arguments against Dirk is even more of an argument against Chauncey so far.

Chauncey definitely belongs in the MVP discussion, but not for any reasons you're giving...

midgetonadonkey
02-26-2006, 11:27 PM
My vote is for Darko for MVP.

ShoogarBear
02-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Not having Kobe, Dwyane, AI, or LeBron, but including Tim, sort of invalidates the poll.

Dunc
02-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Not to mention listing Shaq.

adrienne
02-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I know it could have been better...I just quickly put in the names of players from the top 5 teams (Spurs, Pistons, Mavs, Heat, Suns). I should have maybe not made it a poll at all and just asked for names.

Tanya
02-26-2006, 11:35 PM
If the MVP is according to the record then Billups will win.
If the MVP is according to the heroic performance then Kobe will win.
If the MVP is according to the ability to get teammates involved then Nash will win.
If the Mavs can catch the pistons and become the team with the best record then probably Nowitzki will win the MVP.

mrpach
02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
the naming of 4 of his teammates to the ASG may have taken the MVP away from billups

Supergirl
02-27-2006, 12:01 AM
My votes:
1. Dirk Nowitzki
2. Lebron James
3. Chauncey Billups

snowboarder
02-27-2006, 12:16 AM
kobe

snowboarder
02-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Why were Kobe and LeBron left out of the poll? Shaq and Duncan have NO chance this year! WAKE UP!

exactly

adrienne
02-27-2006, 12:25 AM
I know, man, I'm such a friggin IDIOT!!!!! What the crap is wrong with me? Shouldn't they take away my computer before I cause my damage to the world of online sports discussion???

Dunc
02-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I think getting your computer confiscated is a good idea... can't have you putting out incomplete polls now, can we? Lol...

adrienne
02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Send ZStomp to pick it up...I'll be waiting... :eyebrows

Dunc
02-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Actually, I'm glad you put Shaq on the list. i want to see who the first person to vote for him is. Do we have Heat fans in here?

krinkx
02-27-2006, 12:45 AM
nowitzki... am tentative about it... but nowitzki...

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Billups almost has a all star team around him. He is far from carrying that team. They are still good without him.

Pistonfan1
02-27-2006, 01:49 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, put Billups on this current Suns team without Amare and they would win 25-30 games. I love Billups and I think he deserves recognition for the award but he isnt our main leader. 4 other Pistons help lead this team in many different ways and I am sorry but Billups isnt a leader like Nash is.

Warlord23
02-27-2006, 02:14 AM
IMO only two of those guys are irreplaceable in their teams' gameplan. Billups, Duncan and Shaq are very good, but their absence wouldn't absolutely cripple their teams' playing style.

The leading candidates are:
1. Nash
2. Dirk

If the MVP voting actually turns out that way, would that be the first time 2 white boys would finish 1-2 in the MVP vote? </racist>

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-27-2006, 02:16 AM
What does how many points your teammates average have to do with anything? I think Spurminator's point was that the Pistons have the best starting 5 in the NBA, and it's arguable that Billups is the Most Valuable Player on his own team. On the other hand, guys like Dirk and Nash are the main go-to guys on their team. Take them out of the lineup, and you face a completely different team.

To be fair, if you take any of those guys off of their respective teams, those teams would be completely different...

I voted for Shaq because I could...

FreshPrince22
02-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Nash. Billups winning the MVP would take too much away from what the other 4 guys do. IMO, Ben and Sheed are just as important to the team as Chauncey is.

Pandaemonaeon
02-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Voted for Dirk, but I think Nash would take it. The ironic part is - both players don't care much about the award :lol

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:08 AM
And the irony that they both don't play defense and used to be on the same team. Marion made Nash better and Nash leaving made Dirk better. That alone gives me the reason why I think Dirk is better than Nash.

Pandaemonaeon
02-27-2006, 03:28 AM
I disagree about Marion making Nash better. Marion spilled his guts after Kidd was traded that he needed a point guard to look better and it showed. If anything, Nash made Marion much, much better more than the other way around.

I can't say the same about Diaw though. I've always thought he was talented but needed the right system to succeed. I guess it's half Nash, half Diaw. Diaw feeds 20% of Marion's shots if I did my math correctly.

Shawn Carter
02-27-2006, 03:30 AM
if the lakers make the playoffs, Kobes got it. How come he isnt on the list???

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Marion makes Nash better by being a good help defender and hiding Nash's weaknesses on defense. Nash makes Marion better by finding him on the fastbreak and getting him open shots. Marion's ability to run the floor well is what gives Nash or a quality point guard to find him easier. Diaw though adds some to.

Warlord23
02-27-2006, 03:41 AM
You, my friend, have no clue. Marion makes Nash better? All Nash needs is a guy who can run the floor and finish at the rim or hit the open 3, doesn't matter if his name is Bell, Marion, Diaw, Q or Jones . All of them have had career years with Nash. Marion just happens to be the best of the lot.

A healthy Marion led the Suns to 29 wins. Marion, Amare, Marbury and JJ combined for 44 wins. The arrival of Nash gave them 62 wins. W/o Amare, they're on pace for 56. When Nash got injured briefly last year, the Suns lost 4 or 5 straight, or else they would have been hyped as a 70-win team like the Pistons this season. Nash leads the Suns in +/- stats, not Marion.

I can understand that you overrate Marion because he punked Dirk last playoffs. But he disappeared when it mattered against a good defense. Try and watch how Nash runs that offense, how he runs the pick-n-roll in particular. It is almost undefendable. Not like he doesn't hae the stats either. 20 PPG and 14 APG with an eFG% of 55.4 is awesome.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Take Marion off the suns and see how many wins they pull off. Marion is the key to Nash's attack on offense though Diaw has added to the attack with his passing as well. When Marion got shut out by the spurs it was over. There is a reason Pop put Bowen on Marion and not Nash or Joe Johnson. If Marion is contained it is over. I figure you give Nash all the credit on offense but the defense and rebounding would not be the same without Marion. Marion allows the suns to go small without being a terrible rebounding team.

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 06:18 AM
:lol Another arbitrary limit... So what exactly is the percentage of one's team's points that, by definition, constitutes "carrying the team"? 26%? 30%?

The more you post the more confusing your argument becomes.

Are you even suggesting that Chauncey is the MVP? So far your argument has been that Chauncey is the MVP because Dirk doesn't carry his team, as evidenced by the fact that Dirk "only" plays 37 MPG (Chauncey plays 35) and that he "only" scores 25% of his team's points (Chauncey is 19%).

Can't you find any factors that favor Chauncey? Because every one of your arguments against Dirk is even more of an argument against Chauncey so far.

Chauncey definitely belongs in the MVP discussion, but not for any reasons you're giving...
Chauncey has a chance but I'm not no, I'm not argueing his case here. The arguement is that you believe and have stated unconvinclingly that Dirk should be considered MVP because he's carrying his team, a point that after reviewing this post of yours even you seem to have abandoned.
Dirk is having his usual excellent year but his scoring and rebounding are both down from last year yet the team is winning far more games and that's just one more reason why you're arguement that Dirk is carrying the team is without merit.
Dirk should be given strong consideration for MVP but not at all for the reasons you have argued.

Who's confused here? :lol

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Billups almost has a all star team around him. He is far from carrying that team. They are still good without him.
He's the floor general but I agree the load is shared too evenly for him to be considered for MVP on the arguement that he's carrying the team.

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Top 5 candidates IMO in no particular order.

Nash
Wade
Dirk
Chauncey
Lebron
Kobe would be on my short list but not the top 5 because I believe the voters put weight on high team performance. Put him on one of the top teams and I believe he becomes one of the top 3

Pistonfan1
02-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Take Marion off the suns and see how many wins they pull off. Marion is the key to Nash's attack on offense though Diaw has added to the attack with his passing as well. When Marion got shut out by the spurs it was over. There is a reason Pop put Bowen on Marion and not Nash or Joe Johnson. If Marion is contained it is over. I figure you give Nash all the credit on offense but the defense and rebounding would not be the same without Marion. Marion allows the suns to go small without being a terrible rebounding team.
:rolleyes give credit where it is due Nash Hater. It is one thing to hate Nash for bolting and kicking your teams ass last year, it is another to say stupid ass things like Marion made Nash so much better. Marion has been part of the teams success this season agreed, but Nash is the difference between 30 and 50-60 wins for the Suns.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Nash will repeat.

No player in basketball at any level makes his teammates better just by playing with a certain player than Nash does, that is a fact.

3 new starters this year, and it is business as usual. Nash is unbelievable. I think if he were on the Lakers, he would get them a 2 seed, and give then a legit shot at winning the West.

1Parker1
02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Take Marion off the suns and see how many wins they pull off.

That's funny. Because last season it was..."Take Amare off the suns and see how wins many they pull off." Now this season it's all about Marion?

Give credit where credit is due. Nash pushes that team to be what it is. Sure, Marion and Amare are great players...but having a guy like Nash feed you the ball for easy transition buckets, makes the game a lot easier.

DMFFL341
02-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I wish I could say Dirk, but he's obviously not the most valuable player to his team in the league. We have been able to win games when he's been shut down. Maybe that's due to the teams focusing so much on Dirk that he can pass to open players when they double him, who knows? But unfortunately, Nash has to be the MVP even though he's been doing the SAME things for the past 5 years. That team cannot win without Nash and we all know it. It's ashame that the MVP can't be a decent defensive player as well, but I guess it's just how the cookie crumbles. Billups cannot be considered for MVP simply because he's just as important to the team as Hamilton, Prince, Rasheed, and Ben. Maybe they can give the award to their 5 starters, cause they defenitely collectively deserve it.

Nashfan
02-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Mavsfan1000, I think your case for Dirk being MVP is way off. The Suns have basically all new players except for Nash, Marion and Barbosa (Jim Jackson doesn't count since he doesn't play) and our most dominant player, Amare, has been out for most of the season and Nash has led us to the fourth best record in the league. Dirk has the same players from last year so they have played together longer. I don't see how this is considered carrying your team! Marion is a very good player but without Nash our team only won 29 games. Marion cannot carry a team like Nash. Dirk is not carrying his team since his numbers are down and he has the same players from last year. Also you have to take into consideration that Nash's numbers are up and he has a player named Diaw who makes at least five assists a game and it is amazing he is still averaging around eleven assists a game. So, I think Nash is the clear MVP, especially since he was good enough to be the MVP last year and is doing better this year and that is without Amare and all of our other player injuries. Just my two cents and yes I am a homer!

MoSpur
02-27-2006, 01:08 PM
This is the guy I would pick, but I know he won't get it. After the Spurs, the Clippers are my next and only favorite team.

http://www.nba.com/media/clippers/wallpaper0405_brand_800.jpg

pache100
02-27-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't think Steve Nash will win 2 years in a row. Shaq and Dirk are not even in the running, IMO. So, that leaves Billups and Duncan...it's a toss-up.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Mavsfan1000, I think your case for Dirk being MVP is way off. The Suns have basically all new players except for Nash, Marion and Barbosa (Jim Jackson doesn't count since he doesn't play) and our most dominant player, Amare, has been out for most of the season and Nash has led us to the fourth best record in the league. Dirk has the same players from last year so they have played together longer. I don't see how this is considered carrying your team! Marion is a very good player but without Nash our team only won 29 games. Marion cannot carry a team like Nash. Dirk is not carrying his team since his numbers are down and he has the same players from last year. Also you have to take into consideration that Nash's numbers are up and he has a player named Diaw who makes at least five assists a game and it is amazing he is still averaging around eleven assists a game. So, I think Nash is the clear MVP, especially since he was good enough to be the MVP last year and is doing better this year and that is without Amare and all of our other player injuries. Just my two cents and yes I am a homer!
Why did Nash not have this type of success in Dallas than? Nash was good with Dallas but Marion raised Nash's game to the next level. He is the perfect compliment to Nash's game of run and gun. Also having a ton of outside shooters helps as well. If the suns had the best record I would think Marion would be an MVP candidate as well. I also remember the suns getting blown out by the rockets last year when Marion was out so you can't say Marion doesn't mean a lot to the suns.

pache100
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Why did Nash not have this type of success in Dallas than?

The coaching Nash had in Dallas (pre-Avery Johnson) made a lot of difference, too. I don't know WHAT Don Nelson was doing the last couple of years he was there, but there wasn't much coaching going on.

Stephen A. Smith
02-27-2006, 02:49 PM
What league are all of you fools watching? Is Disgruntled Lions Fan the only human being in this forum with a lick of common sense? The MVP this year is the Big Fella! The reasoning is pretty simple-because he's such a leader that he's done nothing to earn it. Think about it people!

We'll dismiss Billups and Dirk right off the bat because 1) they have all the same players around them as last year and they couldn't win an MVP then, why should they now? and 2) they aren't from large markets.

Pat Riley completely remade the Heat in the offseason, all but assuring them a mortal lock on the NBA Championship. However one of the realities of that change is that it takes time to get all the pieces in place and working. Now some players like Nash are greedy. He had a bunch of new pieces put around him but if you actually watch the game it's Nash who is always dribbling the ball, and he often only passes it to teammates who are wide open. By putting his teammates in this position it makes it impossible for them to truly shine and develop. Ask yourself, what would improve someone's game, shooting a bunch of wide open shots or actually having to work against a defense? So in a sense Nash is coddling his teammates and stunting their growth, kind of like a smothering parent who does everything for their child. His heart's in the right place, but he's hurting them in the long run.

Meanwhile look at what Shaq was willing to do. He went as far as to severely sprain his own ankle in order to assure that his team would have to play without him, meaning more playing time for all the new guys. Sure, he could have put up a 35/15/9 season average but that would just be making it too easy for the new additions. Instead, Shaq had a sub par year, so that his teammates would have to work harder and in the end be better players. IT'S CALLED TOUGH LOVE PEOPLE! Quite frankly if Shaq doesn't get the MVP I will not rest until a full investigation is launched.

Dunc
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Something like this could only come from Stephen A... who of course must be a Heat fan.

Stephen A. Smith
02-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Well, normally I'd cheer for my boys in Philly, but I don't think AI is going to be able to bring the Larry O'Brien trophy back this year. I picked the Heat at the start of the year, and since I was right then, I am standing by my pick.

Dunc
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Lol. I like this guy!

MoSpur
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I still like my pick. Elton Brand. 25pts, 12rbs. His team is nowhere near where they are if its not for him.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:01 PM
What league are all of you fools watching? Is Disgruntled Lions Fan the only human being in this forum with a lick of common sense? The MVP this year is the Big Fella! The reasoning is pretty simple-because he's such a leader that he's done nothing to earn it. Think about it people!

We'll dismiss Billups and Dirk right off the bat because 1) they have all the same players around them as last year and they couldn't win an MVP then, why should they now? and 2) they aren't from large markets.

Pat Riley completely remade the Heat in the offseason, all but assuring them a mortal lock on the NBA Championship. However one of the realities of that change is that it takes time to get all the pieces in place and working. Now some players like Nash are greedy. He had a bunch of new pieces put around him but if you actually watch the game it's Nash who is always dribbling the ball, and he often only passes it to teammates who are wide open. By putting his teammates in this position it makes it impossible for them to truly shine and develop. Ask yourself, what would improve someone's game, shooting a bunch of wide open shots or actually having to work against a defense? So in a sense Nash is coddling his teammates and stunting their growth, kind of like a smothering parent who does everything for their child. His heart's in the right place, but he's hurting them in the long run.

Meanwhile look at what Shaq was willing to do. He went as far as to severely sprain his own ankle in order to assure that his team would have to play without him, meaning more playing time for all the new guys. Sure, he could have put up a 35/15/9 season average but that would just be making it too easy for the new additions. Instead, Shaq had a sub par year, so that his teammates would have to work harder and in the end be better players. IT'S CALLED TOUGH LOVE PEOPLE! Quite frankly if Shaq doesn't get the MVP I will not rest until a full investigation is launched.

Nashfan
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Mavsfan1000,

One of the reasons Nash is doing so well with Phoenix is because our coach lets him run the show. I never said Marion was complimentary to Nash's game. He is exactly that, a "complimentary player", not MVP. If I recall correctly you had shooters on your team when Nash was there. :rolleyes Nash has helped most of our players this year have their career highs. Has Dirk helped the other players have career highs this year? Also, I never said Marion was not important to the Sun's but when Nash went down for six games last year and Marion and Amare were both playing we lost those games, so Nash is the engine behind this team.

In regards to someone who said Duncan should be an MVP canidate, what are you smoking? Without Tony Parker your team might not be where it is right now in the standings. If I recall correctly he has taken his game to another level and Duncans numbers are not that great compared to last year. I understand he has a bad foot problem so that would explain his lower numbers but he had a bad ankle last year and it did not seem to slow him down as much. Tony Parker is your engine behind your team this year. :spin

doldrums
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
no kobe?

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Mavsfan1000,

One of the reasons Nash is doing so well with Phoenix is because our coach lets him run the show. I never said Marion was complimentary to Nash's game. He is exactly that, a "complimentary player", not MVP. If I recall correctly you had shooters on your team when Nash was there. :rolleyes Nash has helped most of our players this year have their career highs. Has Dirk helped the other players have career highs this year? Also, I never said Marion was not important to the Sun's but when Nash went down for six games last year and Marion and Amare were both playing we lost those games, so Nash is the engine behind this team.

In regards to someone who said Duncan should be an MVP canidate, what are you smoking? Without Tony Parker your team might not be where it is right now in the standings. If I recall correctly he has taken his game to another level and Duncans numbers are not that great compared to last year. I understand he has a bad foot problem so that would explain his lower numbers but he had a bad ankle last year and it did not seem to slow him down as much. Tony Parker is your engine behind your team this year. :spin

I would like to see the suns play with Marion down and see how well they do. Amare is one dimensional (scoring) while Marion does that as well as rebound and defense. Marion's athletic ability prevents the suns from getting exploited on defense while being small. Nash always played well with small lineups and Marion is a small that can play big on defense.

tlongII
02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I would vote for LeBron James.

ShoogarBear
02-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Damn, can't Zach Randolph get no love?

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Randolph should be an MVP candidate. He is leading the Blazers to a terrific 18-37 record. Gotta respect the guy.

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Nowitski.

sa_butta
02-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Got to go with Dirk, he is most valuable to the team. Honorable mentions, Lebron and Kobe.

reader
02-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Steve Nash

DieMrBond
02-28-2006, 02:32 AM
I went to click on Dirk because he has definitly been the force (other than AJ :D) behind that team... but i slipped and clicked on Chauncey. I dunno what i was thinking!

Atm, for me - its Dirk -> Nash -> Chauncey - Tony

Who voted for Shaq tho? Wade is leading that team, not Shaq isnt he? (Although, he seems to have gotten his s**t together the last couple of games)

mavsfan1000
02-28-2006, 02:38 AM
How did Billups all of a sudden be the leader in the vote count? I guess a lot of piston fans on the board. There is a possibility of Billups being the MVP along with Ben Wallace being the DPOY.

Pandaemonaeon
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, Pop has Dirk's back at least (don't have the link but it's from the SA Express):

"At this point," Popovich said, "I think Dirk has an edge. What Nash has done to keep those guys where they are is amazing, but Dirk has basically done the same thing in Dallas: rebounding, playing defense, doing a little bit of everything. And he's so unique, I think he's got a little edge on Steve right now, with a month, month and a half to go."

Which of the two has the better supporting cast: Nash or Dirk? I think Dirk's supporting cast only looks good in name value, and it's all about the game which Nash's guys have. I mean, Shawn Marion? As good as Howard and Terry is, they're nowhere near the same level as the Matrix... and don't get me started with Bell and Diaw.

reader
03-04-2006, 12:57 AM
From that same article, Dirk picks Nash. I think it really will come down to Nash or Dirk. In the last two days Marc Stein and Steve Kerr both picked Nash over Dirk.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030306.4D.BKNspurs.notebook.1d380450.html

Nowitzki is flattered to be in the MVP mix, but his vote, if he had one, would go to old friend and former teammate, Nash.

"We have one of the deepest teams in the league," Nowitzki said. "If I would be out for a couple games I don't think it would be that big a deal, so I think Steve is doing a heck of a job again with Phoenix, keeping their team involved. You know, it's tough to pick an MVP on the Detroit team or the San Antonio team because everybody is so good and they play for each other.

"So for me, it's Steve again." Dirk said Nash.

Sense
03-04-2006, 01:22 AM
I'd say definitely Dirk. He has carried that team to a 44-11 record.

Last thing I wanna do with this........ poster is agree with him..

But I agree, Dirk is carrying this team without Nash and Finley. Nash doing his old self.

If chauncey gets the MVP, I'll think very low of the voters....

It's a fucking team, chauncey is just part of it...

A big man better win it.

cheguevara
03-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Steve Nash. Let's face it, Duncan is hurtin and having his lowest #s in his career. Oneal is just chillin waiting for the playoffs and eating a few too many twinkies meanwhile. Nowitzki is close, but he makes too many defensive errors and costs his team. Billups is #2, but his cast is so powerful and talented, that without Billups, Pistons would still be scary. So Nash is my pick, Suns form like Borltron and Nash just happens to be the head. and Suns are #4 team in the league, mainly 'cause of Nash.