PDA

View Full Version : What does Brent Barry MEAN, by this quote?

T Park
02-27-2006, 01:44 AM
"It's been an interesting week," Barry said. "It's sort of like going to your ex-wife's wedding. You're happy for her, but not really."

joking sure.

But, does this mean, he wanted a trade out of SA?

Reading into it too much?

maayyyyybe.

But it sure is a strange thing to say.

Dre_7
02-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Thats just Brent Barry cracking jokes like he ALWAYS does.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-27-2006, 01:55 AM
I think he meant that it was sorta nice to know that other teams wanted him, but he really wanted to stay with the Spurs, not sure tho.

angel_luv
02-27-2006, 01:59 AM
What was the reporter's question?

Peter
02-27-2006, 02:04 AM
He still has his ring from the ex, no?

thispego
02-27-2006, 02:06 AM
i think thats one of those that sounded better in brents head

Dunc
02-27-2006, 02:09 AM
He still has his ring from the ex, no?

:lol

T Park
02-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Looking at it more.

I have no clue wtf Brent meant. :lol

Horry For 3!
02-27-2006, 02:23 AM
I didn't understand what the hell he was trying to say when he said and I still don't.

zeleni
02-27-2006, 03:53 AM
he was glad Spurs got a great trade going, but really not feeling nice about finishing his game in San Antonio.

And then the marriage broke off, and he still doesn't if he's happy or sad for the Spurs.

That kinda my guess.

Pero
02-27-2006, 03:57 AM
^ My thoughts also.
He was happy that the spurs were getting "better" with a trade, but not really, because they were trading HIM.

caŽlo
02-27-2006, 04:06 AM
maybe he just meant that hes glad the deal didnt push thru.. but now itll be kinda awkward in a way.. because you were tried to be traded.

just wont be the same anymore.

hopefully thats just it.

WalterBenitez
02-27-2006, 05:52 AM
his ex-wife got married!!!

boutons_
02-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't think the divorce / re-marriage of ex-wife analogy fits at all.

Remember how Pop hugged Brent last June 23?
A few months later, Brent is trade bait. :)

Obvioiusly, lots of mixed emotions having been put through trade wringer, glad he (and his wife/family) is still here) but probably upset and angry that he was so close to being gone.

pache100
02-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Obvioiusly, lots mixed emotions having been put through trade wringer, glad he (and his wife/family) is still here) but probably upset and angry that he was so close to being gone.

I don't think so. Like Malik Rose, Brent Barry understands that, above all else, the NBA is a business. He's been traded before. He's a grown man, and a very mature one, at that. He won't hold this against anyone. And, I'm sure he's thankful that the deal fell through and he can stay here awhile longer because I have heard him say many times that he really likes San Antonio.

ploto
02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I think it just a metaphor for having mixed feelings. He's happy because the trade didn't go through- he wants to be in SA- but he's "hurt" that they wanted to trade him at all. No matter what anyone says about it being a business, etc. it is still personal to the person it happens to. He won't hold a grudge- he will be a professional- but it doesn't mean it doesn't "bother" him some. He's a human being.

MrChug
02-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I KNOW!! I'm as big a fan of Brent's interview sound bytes as much anyone, because he's EXTREMELY witty and funny, but I have to admit that this one left me scratching my head. like :wtf?

Joepa
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
I think ya'll got it right.

AI-square
02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe he's happy that he's staying with the Spurs, but not so much that the team wanted to trade him..

zeleni
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
I KNOW!! I'm as big a fan of Brent's interview sound bytes as much anyone, because he's EXTREMELY witty and funny, but I have to admit that this one left me scratching my head. like :wtf?

think about it like this:

Pop: We are making a trade. We will get JR Smith.

BB: Great! Way to go!

Pop: You are being traded.

BB: Wow, that is not something i expected.

Pop: Hey, you are great. It's mine fault. I need money and this is the only way we get a better player with this move. Like nazr-- U see how good was that now?

BB: Okay.

Pop: Just wait a while.

BB: Daaaad!

2nd act

We love each other. In good and bad, in sickeness and in health we will be together. Exchange is a great thing and will improve everything. Now, if someone has something to say about this deal, he should speak now or hold his peace.

Pop: No, this boy, I mean the object of this transfer, is not happy. We are family. Come home, son...

BB and POP hug.

BB: U know, I am married?

Pop: This is about family values.

BB: So no fixed marriages? You will not send my contract in Oklahoma towns?

Pop: No, you stay right here!

BB: No wedding, and I would still like to cry... Why is this contract seperated from me? I like this club and i like my wife. So why am I in this farce of a romantic comedy?

Pop: Life is like NBA my son. You get screwed on family and friends, and then again, you get a ring just for being in the family.

BB: And so I will live here happily ever after.

Pop: Son, that's not in the contract.

angel_luv
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Did no one hear the reporter's question? I bet the answer makes a little more sense in that context.

BigVee
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
It simply means that you live with the possibility of a trade the same way you live with the possibility of your ex-wife remarrying. When it happens you put up the front of being happy or professional about it, but deep down it is very tough to take, and not something you really want to happen.

smeagol
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
If he plays like he did the last two games, he can say whatever he wants.

MannyIsGod
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I think it just a metaphor for having mixed feelings. He's happy because the trade didn't go through- he wants to be in SA- but he's "hurt" that they wanted to trade him at all. No matter what anyone says about it being a business, etc. it is still personal to the person it happens to. He won't hold a grudge- he will be a professional- but it doesn't mean it doesn't "bother" him some. He's a human being.I was begining to worry that nobody here got the most basic of metaphors.

Solid D
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Brent's getting married again? When?

Sincerely,
That guy on the other side of the room

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Mixed feelings. Not that hard to figure it out.

MoSpur
02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
It simply means that you live with the possibility of a trade the same way you live with the possibility of your ex-wife remarrying. When it happens you put up the front of being happy or professional about it, but deep down it is very tough to take, and not something you really want to happen.

:tu

We got ourselves a winner.