PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' Anderson feels fortunate to have a chance

KoriEllis
09-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Pacers' Anderson feels fortunate to have a chance
Veteran point guard says he doesn't believe he's guaranteed a starting job here.

By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
September 26, 2003

www.indystar.com/print/ar...1-036.html (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/1/077924-2571-036.html)

Potential often pays better than performance in today's NBA. That's why the Indiana Pacers were able to pluck a possible starting point guard from the league's bargain bin.

Kenny Anderson signed for a song last week. But while his one-year, $1.1 million contract might seem like a sad refrain for a 12-year veteran, he sees it as a revival number.

Kenny Anderson
"I'm not bitter," said Anderson, who will join the other veterans in training camp on Oct. 3. "This is just the way it goes now with contracts. Who would have thought I would play 13 years in this league? I'm just glad that I'm still wanted."

The Pacers want Anderson to fix a hole in their backcourt. Coach Rick Carlisle is reserving judgment on whether he'll become a starter or a backup to incumbent Jamaal Tinsley, and that's fine with Anderson. He's just eager to regenerate his career.

"I know one thing," Carlisle said. "Kenny Anderson right now is a very motivated player.

"He's at a point in his career where his game will do the talking. I know what Kenny's capable of, but he has to come in here and do it. And he knows that."

Anderson, who turns 33 on Oct. 9, was the second player selected in the 1991 draft upon leaving Georgia Tech after his sophomore season. He started in the All-Star game in 1994 and averaged in double figures in eight consecutive seasons.

He started on the Boston team that reached the Eastern Conference finals two seasons ago, but was traded to Seattle in the summer of 2002 in a financially motivated move as the Celtics pared their payroll in advance of the team's sale. After backing up Gary Payton the first half of the season, he was traded to New Orleans, where he backed up Baron Davis.

His scoring (6.1) and assist (3.2) averages were the lowest of his career. The same can be said for his salary in the upcoming season. His rookie contract called for $14.5 million over five years and he was paid $9.2 million last season. But he didn't wince when he accepted his drastic pay cut from the Pacers.

He could have received more money and a longer-term deal from other teams, particularly if he had waited for the completion of Atlanta's ownership transfer. But he was willing to sign for the minimum with the Pacers despite the uncertainty of his role.

"I didn't want to go somewhere and just run up and down the floor and get numbers," he said.

Anderson was drawn by the Pacers' recent winning tradition, their opportunity to be successful again this season, and the presence of Carlisle and team president Larry Bird.

Carlisle has been an assistant coach with teams on which Anderson played for five seasons -- four in New Jersey and one in Portland. They built a mutual respect during those years and have maintained a friendship since then.

"He was the one guy who stayed after (practice) with me and made sure I got my shots up," Anderson said. "We communicated well with each other. He was a cool guy."

As a kid growing up in Queens, N.Y., Anderson's favorite player was Nate Archibald, a short left-handed point guard from the New York area who was a natural role model. While watching Archibald play for Boston he became familiar with Bird, who went on to become his favorite player.

"He didn't jump out of the gym, but he would out-think his opponents," Anderson said. "It took my basketball mentality to another level watching him. You don't have to be the best athlete to get the job done."

Bird retired after Anderson's rookie year in the NBA, the 1991-92 season. Still a fan, Anderson persuaded Carlisle to get Bird's autograph on a pair of shoes after that season.

Anderson hopes all the mutual admiration brings a long-lasting relationship. He has no major health issues and believes he can play four or five more seasons. Having played for six teams already, he'd like to play for only one more.

"That's my goal," he said. "I hope it works out in Indiana.

"I'm going to bust my butt."

Pooh
09-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Well the jury has always been out on Anderson, ever since leaving Georgia Tech early back in 1991. But I think he'll be better off in a "role playing" position than a starter.

pacersrule03
09-26-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm liking Kenny Anderson more and more the more I hear about him.

mattyc2422
09-27-2003, 09:45 AM
I like Anderson. The kid can play and I enjoy watching him when he is firing, BUT the deciding factor on his success is how well he handles his ego during the season.
He has often whinged about his playing time and position in the pecking order and thus was put in the doghouse.

It's worth the gamble.

pacersrule03
09-27-2003, 10:25 PM
He'll get more playing time here than he did on the last few teams he's been on. So I don't think he'll get mad about not starting.

Pooh
09-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Yes, he will get some playing time. I think as long as he knows he's contributing to the team, he'll be just fine.