PDA

View Full Version : Lighter load for Spurs' Duncan

TMTTRIO
02-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Lighter load for Spurs' Duncan

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022706.1D.BKNspurs.duncan.82f3977.html

Web Posted: 02/27/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

When the Spurs go looking for footage of Tim Duncan for their season-ending highlight video, they can fast forward through Saturday's third quarter.

In a little more than nine minutes, Duncan missed a short jump hook, failed to finish a drive to the basket, front-rimmed a 16-footer, clanged a bank shot and dumped three passes into the arms of the Golden State Warriors.

But as much reason as Duncan had to be frustrated, the scoreboard said otherwise. Despite his poor shooting, the Spurs still led by 19 when he walked off the floor late in the quarter.

With Duncan slowed by a sore right foot for much of the season and Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili having developed into All-Stars, the Spurs' offense has become less reliant than ever on the two-time MVP.

The Spurs are 15-4 this season when Duncan scores 16 or fewer points and 7-3 when he shoots 40 percent or worse. When he had a season-low nine points while missing 13 of 17 shots Saturday against Golden State, six other players scored in double figures and the Spurs won going away.

Duncan's offensive struggles haven't hurt the team as much as expected, in part, because he's continued to rebound and defend. Although he never settled into a rhythm Saturday, he pulled down 16 boards for the third game in a row and blocked four shots.

"That's the core of what we do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "When other people can pick up the scoring, that takes a lot of pressure off Timmy."

More often than not, Duncan's teammates have done that, most notably Parker.

With Parker averaging 19.3 points — slightly above Duncan's 19.2 — while shooting 54.7 percent, opposing teams have started to shift their focus toward corralling the Spurs' point guard.

"You look at a (scouting) report and you still worry about Tim," Golden State assistant coach Mario Elie said. "But I think the main concern now is No. 9 (Parker) in the open court."

Bruce Bowen also has improved, shooting a career-high 44 percent, including a league-best 46.3 percent behind the 3-point line. The Spurs' bench is as deep as it's ever been and although Ginobili has endured his own shooting slump recently, he's more than capable of taking over a game as he did two weeks ago in Indiana.

Duncan is still averaging a team-high 15.4 shots, a slight drop from last season, but Popovich admits he's called fewer plays for him this season. Some of that has to do with Duncan's foot. When Duncan hasn't had a day to rest between games, he's averaged 14.5 points while shooting 38.1 percent.

"I think it will be tough for him to be as effective as he has been in past years on a consistent basis," Popovich said. "Especially on a long road trip or back-to-backs, it starts to catch up to him."
The Spurs' offense also has grown considerably more motion-based over the past four seasons to better utilize the skills of Ginobili and Parker.

"It's more of an equal-opportunity deal," Popovich said, "where I'm not sure where the shots are going to come from and I don't really care."

As a result, Parker and Ginobili have better learned how to play off each other.

"They know they have to share the ball to win and they know Tim is always the common denominator," Popovich said. "We're fortunate in that regard. If we had problems there ego-wise, it could develop into a pain in the neck."

Recognizing who has the hot hand between Parker and himself, Ginobili said, hasn't been too hard this season.

"We've played what, 55 games?" Ginobili said, laughing. "So far it's been 50 him and five me.

"I know he's having a great season, and in those games when I know the team needs me a little bit more, I try to produce."

Ginobili, like Duncan, has been limited by injuries to his right foot. He has yet to completely regain his explosiveness or his rhythm — he's missed 36 of 48 shots the past four games — but isn't worried.

"I still have a pretty long way to go," Ginobili said, "but I know I'm going to get there."
The Spurs remain optimistic Duncan also will improve as the playoffs near. He's been especially active in the three games since the All-Star break, a sign he might have benefited from the rest he received.

"We're going to stick with him and keep passing him the ball," Parker said. "I'm not worried about him."

carina_gino20
02-27-2006, 10:09 AM
"We've played what, 55 games?" Ginobili said, laughing. "So far it's been 50 him and five me.

manu is honest...:lol

lilmads
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
"We're going to stick with him and keep passing him the ball," Parker said. "I'm not worried about him."

I am!

DesiSpur_21
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Everytime I think of Spurs these days, I thank basketball gods for teaming up Tony and Manu with Timmy.