PDA

View Full Version : For Those That Said The Pistons Wouldn't Be As Good Defensively Under Flip

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Remember all that talk about the Pistons losing their defensive identity with Saunders in charge? The Pistons have now kept 14 of their last 15 opponents below 100 points and are allowing just 89.2 points a game. Last season's team allowed 89.5.

That is all, thanks for your undivided attention. :)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/SPORTS0102/602270321/1127

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Giving up 86.3 over the last 20 and only 85.8 over the last 10
Picking up the defensive intensity as the season progresses! :tu

Dunc
02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Yessirr!!! I always knew they'd come back their defensive personality. But it's nice that they can still drop 110 on you if they feel like running. Ben has been an animal lately, and Sheed's had a couple 8+ rebound games... nice to see them get back to their defensive ways.

bdubya
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I was among the doubters, definitely, and I REPENT! In spite of the hot record, I was real worried about rebounding differentials, points in the paint, on-ball defense, blah blah blah; the last few games have made me feel MUCH better. Ben is playing like Ben again, Delfino seems to have figured out the team D (and has shown an unexpected flair for one-on-one coverage), Lindsey looks to be on schedule....I'm liking it. A LOT.

FEAR THE :fro

Darrin
02-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I think this is a combination of Ben Wallace smelling the postseason, getting their one-man press back in Lindsey Hunter, and Flip starting to trap. That was a great game by Big Ben yesterday, a lot of fun to watch him dominate.

bdubya
02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
BIG test tonight; Cavs are going to bring everything they've got, and they'll have a fired-up home crowd behind them. None of our starters played excessive minutes, but we're still going to need the bench to hold the line when they're in. Cleveland will bring playoff intensity, and the Pistons have to match.

Pistons gotta keep LBJ from going off tonight. Tay'll need good backup minutes from Delfino on that job; if he can deliver, it'll be BIG.

FreshPrince22
02-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Yea, I love how everyone was saying that the D would be decent to start the season, but then slip as the games wore on because LB wasn't here. There are a lot of guilty parties on this board alone. Especially with Lindsey Hunter back and Arroyo gone, the defense has been stellar. Big Ben has been an animal as well. If he's not the DPOY again it will be a travesty. He deserves it this year more than any other because he's proving that he is the reason the defense is so great. Not Larry Brown's system.

sickdsm
02-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Most of us said the pistons would choke in the POSTSEASON under flip even thought the reg. season would be a breeze.

Said it preseason.

Pistons < Spurs
02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Most of us said the pistons would choke in the POSTSEASON under flip even thought the reg. season would be a breeze.

Said it preseason.

Flip doensn't push the players to be at top shape and doesn't know how to deal with chemistry. Your defense is going to suffer greatly bc of his emphasis on offense. Not only that but his systems relies heavily on spot, jumps shots and passing. None of those players on the starting lineup are exceptional shooters. Some are good to ok but athletiscim is the way to run that offense. I'll take my chances of Rip running around like Reg around screens allday and Tay shashing and drawing defenders for a Wallace throwback then four swing pass's to turn the Pistons strenght, into a weakness. Namely not drawing fouls from the slashing and not pulling opposing paint defenders away for rebounds.

LOL :spin

himat
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM

Said it preseason.

have you ever thought the t-wolves were a choke and not flip. there still doing bad right now.

T.F. Storm
02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Ya know, as exciting as scoring 117 points is and watching the players run-and-gun....There was something about giving UP 100 points that just didnt feel right. :D

The past 5 games I've enjoyed watching us play that good old Pistons D. Just didnt feel the same...But its nice to know we can drop 120 on somebody if we need to, like Dunc said.

bdubya
02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
LOL :spin

:lol Damn that pesky archive!

sickdsm = :owned

Dunc
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I think that's a complete own right there, yessir!

FreshPrince22
02-27-2006, 03:08 PM

Said it preseason.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Flip wasn't the problem in Minny. That is obvious when you look at their record. Not only that, but KG has a history of disappearing late in games.

I'll cross my fingers so you guys get a good pick in the draft lottery, BTW :lol

ALVAREZ6
02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
For those of you that said the Pistons wouldn't be as good defensively under Flip:

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2003/10/nba/images/rasheed-reuters.jpg

Sheed is laughing at you.

bdubya
02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Alvarez, with the way you're plastering that awesome Sheed photo all over the board, I gotta ask: when are you gonna dump that weak Ginobino shot and make Sheed your avatar? You KNOW you want to; might as well cop to it. :eyebrows

kskonn
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Alvarez, with the way you're plastering that awesome Sheed photo all over the board, I gotta ask: when are you gonna dump that weak Ginobino shot and make Sheed your avatar? You KNOW you want to; might as well cop to it. :eyebrows

throwing down the guantlet!!!!!! :pctoss

Mixability
02-27-2006, 06:14 PM

The Shweed pic was funny the first time and only the first time. Now its annoying. Please kidnap Alvie, I promise not to issue an Amber Alert. :pctoss

ALVAREZ6
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
:lmao

I'v pusposely posting Shweed repeatedly in case if you haven't noticed...

:lol

CubanMustGo
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
No, really? :bang

ALVAREZ6
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
No, really? :bang
Well, my goal was to annoy people, to get that image stuck in there heads.

I didn't post it 100 times and not notice how abnoxious it was.

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2003/10/nba/images/rasheed-reuters.jpg

Enjoy.

FreshPrince22
02-27-2006, 09:57 PM
back on topic.... Pistons threw down a 9 point defensive 4th quarter against the Cavs tonight.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-27-2006, 10:09 PM
back on topic.... Pistons threw down a 9 point defensive 4th quarter against the Cavs tonight.

Classic LeBron. :lol

jochhejaam
02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
And that would drop the opponents scoring avg over the last 6 games to 79.8. :wow :king

FreshPrince22
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
And that would drop the opponents scoring avg over the last 6 games to 79.8. :wow :king

Funny how that coincides with Arroyo leaving and Lindsey getting his first action of the season :spin.

bdubya
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM

A step in the right direction, but still too damn soft. Gotta slice another 5 ppg off that, then we'll be talking DEEEEtroit basketball.

:fro

Pistons < Spurs
02-28-2006, 12:12 AM

However our scoring average in those 5 games dropped to 90.8

That's still a nice differential, but I'd like the scoring to get back up a little bit.

FreshPrince22
02-28-2006, 01:52 AM

That's still a nice differential, but I'd like the scoring to get back up a little bit.

ehhh, Tayshaun and Chauncey have been in huge shooting slumps of late (Actually the past month or more). Once their shots start dropping you'll see that back up in the 96-98 range. Another thing is the fact that the defense is forcing teams to use more clock, and therefor getting less possessions.

jochhejaam
02-28-2006, 07:15 AM

More points would be nice but the more important stat is the scoring differential, we're leading the NBA with a +8.5 and over the last 6 games where we've kept the opponents scoring avg below 80 we are at +10.8.

Another nice stat, Billups has averaged a Nashesque 11.2 assists over the last 8 games. :king

Warlord23
02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Good that Flip has proved his detractors wrong on that count.

Now let's see if he's able to make adjustments in the playoffs.

bdubya
02-28-2006, 10:40 AM
More points would be nice but the more important stat is the scoring differential, we're leading the NBA with a +8.5 and over the last 6 games where we've kept the opponents scoring avg below 80 we are at +10.8.

Another nice stat, Billups has averaged a Nashesque 11.2 assists over the last 8 games....

...and 1.75 turnovers. Over the last 6, Chauncey's just a hair off of a 10:1 a/t ratio. YOW.

Marklar MM
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
...and 1.75 turnovers. Over the last 6, Chauncey's just a hair off of a 10:1 a/t ratio. YOW.

6.4 : 1 to be exact.

bdubya
02-28-2006, 03:34 PM
6.4 : 1 to be exact.

That's over the last EIGHT (which includes 7 TOs to the Magic and the Heat). Over the last SIX, he's gone 9.4:1. (Or, since the AS break, 9.3:1) :smokin

Marklar MM
02-28-2006, 03:37 PM
That's over the last EIGHT (which includes 7 TOs to the Magic and the Heat). Over the last SIX, he's gone 9.4:1. (Or, since the AS break, 9.3:1) :smokin

Whoopsidaisy

bdubya
02-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Whoopsidaisy

'sawright; we're not complaining either way, right? :elephant :elephant :elephant

Darrin
03-01-2006, 03:00 AM
'sawright; we're not complaining either way, right? :elephant :elephant :elephant

True. I'm as comfortable as a Bill Laimbeer elbow on Larry Bird's throat.

sickdsm
03-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Said it preseason.

Still looking where you might have gotten "i didn't say that i said this" assclown.

Did i or did i not predict this Pistons team would follow Flips track record? I said the defense would wear off and it will at the same time his balls shrivel up, in the postseason.

Reading, its fundamental.

whottt
03-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I was one of the ones that said their D would wane as the season progressed, because of Flip's lack of emphasis on it...and even though I never said this......in no way did I ever expect Detroit to be as good as they have been this year.

Detroit and Flip have been much better than expected...way better, but I am still not sold on Flip, and I am still not certain how much of their newfound defensive emphasis is due to Flip(and not the players going by memory).

We'll see what happens in the playoffs...even the Spurs, with all their emphasis on D, start to lose defensive focus at times in the post season. If that happens to Detroit I don't see Flip getting them back on track like Brown or Pop would.

Brutalis
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Flip regular season and Flip playoffs.

Flippin' hilarious.