PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavs on Thursday-Biggest reg season game ever?

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Thursday's game against the Mavs is the biggest game in midseason history for the Spurs.

This game is tantamount to a playoff game. The young Mavs have three days to prepare for the Spurs, and Avery Johnson knows the Spurs' playbook better than any coach in the NBA, so he will have them as ready as any opponent to beat the Spurs. The Spurs are the champs and they need to let it be known that the young Mavs are still not at their level, and they do that by winning Thursday, and knocking the youngsters down a peg or two.

Great, but young teams need confidence in order to beat the champs in the playoffs(look at Phoenix last year), and if Dallas wins on Thursday, after SA had three days to rest and be ready to play Dallas, then their confidence will skyrocket, and that does not bode well for SA come May.

The Spurs must win this game, that is not hyperbole.

I can not wait til Thursday night and TNT's coverage. I can hear Kenny The Jet, and Sir Charles right now telling everyone that SA will win the game, and the Mavs are still not on par with Detroit and the Spurs. I do not want to have them proved wrong in their assessment. The Spurs need to keep their swagger, and they need to serve notice that the road to the championship goes through SA, not Dallas.

I am pumped up already.

PS I know they have a game tonight, but comon...it is the Knicks for God's sake. :)

1Parker1
02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
:lol I agree with you 100%...although they still play the Mavs once more after Thursday, so not sure if it's still the "biggest reg season" game ever. I kind of thought that second game against the Pistons was important.

It's funny, because I was looking back at this season and trying to remember some of the highlights of the season so far...I honestly cannot remember any Spurs game/moment so far that has stood out to me. Last season there were many memorable moments, most obviously the 48 pt Manu performance and the back to back OT wins w/o TD. Despite their record, Spurs have had a quiet season.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh, and also, there is home court advantage on the line too. If SA wins both games in SA, they will have tiebreaker with Dallas, in the event that they tie with best record.

Given Dallas' team record 13 home game winning steak, it is important that SA gets HCA in a 7 game series against Dallas.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 09:45 AM
:lol I agree with you 100%...although they still play the Mavs once more after Thursday, so not sure if it's still the "biggest reg season" game ever. I kind of thought that second game against the Pistons was important.

It's funny, because I was looking back at this season and trying to remember some of the highlights of the season so far...I honestly cannot remember any Spurs game/moment so far that has stood out to me. Last season there were many memorable moments, most obviously the 48 pt Manu performance and the back to back OT wins w/o TD. Despite their record, Spurs have had a quiet season.

Darlin, I said "mid season" regular season.

:)

spursfaninla
02-27-2006, 10:21 AM
hyperbole aside, this is an important game.

I just don't buy it being the biggest EVER. Big this year, yes. People also thought the games against Detroit would be big. Hopefully the Spurs are ready to take it up a level of intensity against Dallas, because I have a feeling they are going to bring it.

nkdlunch
02-27-2006, 10:30 AM
unless we get beat by 20. then it's a meaningless game.

1Parker1
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
^Or unless we beat Dallas by 20 :)

RogerIsEatingASandwich
02-27-2006, 10:41 AM
huge game ( glad i'm going ) but i'm not sure it's the biggest ever. although, no other big midseason games from the past really come to mind right now......

should be a good one

101A
02-27-2006, 11:00 AM
huge game ( glad i'm going ) but i'm not sure it's the biggest ever. although, no other big midseason games from the past really come to mind right now......

should be a good one

No they don't - which should tell us all something, because I know games have been touted as "very big" or "biggest ever" etc....regular season games are what they are.

That being said, the Spurs will give us our first glimpse of what this team is capable of this year. It's March, it's time to tighten rotations, and start gearing up for some real basketball.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
This is much bigger than Detroit games. Number one, those games were way too early in season to gauge what each team would be like come June. Number two, the Spurs already beat Detroit in Finals, and they probaby had the "big brother, little brother" attitude towards them, in that you are just a pest and I will deal with you come June.

Now, the Spurs are getting into playoff mode a little more, so from now on, the games mean more.

I am really surprised that the schedule makers did not save at least one Detroit game for March at least.

Solid D
02-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Not really, no.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Biggest game of the season so far? Sure.

Ever? No way. If anything this is going to pale in comparison to the importance last Spurs-Mavs game this year.

Joepa
02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
It's a huge game, and I think it is the most important one this year because if we don't beat them here, then we've lost the season series and the tie breaker.

BigVee
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
As usual it is a bigger game for the opponent than it is for the Spurs. The Spurs have nothing to prove. I think the players however, will give playoff effort. It remains to be seen how Pop sees it. We will be able to tell by his sub patterns and whether Horry suits up.

101A
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
It's a huge game, and I think it is the most important one this year because if we don't beat them here, then we've lost the season series and the tie breaker.

Spurs simply have to beat Mavs 1 out of 2 here to own the tiebreaker. Spurs have a significant advantage in conference record.

101A
02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
As usual it is a bigger game for the opponent than it is for the Spurs. The Spurs have nothing to prove. I think the players however, will give playoff effort. It remains to be seen how Pop sees it. We will be able to tell by his sub patterns and whether Horry suits up.

Playoff effort won't be seen by the Spurs until the 2nd round of the playoffs, IMO. This will be a taste - which should be enough for the W.

boutons_
02-27-2006, 11:16 AM
With the Spurs' 14 games past the 41-game mid-point, Thur should be, could be where the Spurs finally get their heads out of their asses, find their hearts and guts, and start playing like "Defending NBA Champions With Everybody Back", rather than a random bunch on a re-building lottery team.

The Spurs Last 10 games are nothing to be happy and confident about.
Needed overtime to beat the Raptors
Lost to the Sixers.
Blown out by the Cavs.
Blow a big lead and barely escaped the B2B-tired Grizz (allowing 31 pts in 4th qtr)

It's time to stop giving away games by playing like shit, time to turn the corner, time to turn up the toughness, control games, dominate the better teams, like the Mavs.

It's time to re-confirm the Spurs previous win @DAL, and
time implant a big, deep doubt in Mavs' hearts about their prospects of getting past the Spurs in the playoffs.

I have no doubts the Mavs will come ready to play. Will the Spurs?

And yes, Mavs/Spurs HCA is still undecided. Split 1-1, the Spurs are in good position to go 3-1. A W Thur would pull the Spurs even with the Mavs in the L column.

Joepa
02-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Spurs simply have to beat Mavs 1 out of 2 here to own the tiebreaker. Spurs have a significant advantage in conference record.

Argh my fault. I thought that we'd lost both games earlier this year.

genghisrex
02-27-2006, 11:18 AM
It's March, it's time to tighten rotations, and start gearing up for some real basketball.
I think that fact should kill the biggest regular season game ever talk. It's an important game, but the SPAM gods are still hibernating.

Spurminator
02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Biggest Regular Season Game in Spurs History:

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1998&b=19990502&tm=SAS

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Biggest Regular Season Game in Spurs History:

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1998&b=19990502&tm=SAS

Again...read my first sentence!!!

MID SEASON GAME!!!!

Not games that give division title.

Spurminator
02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
I read it. But your title reads differently.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I read it. But your title reads differently.

It would not fit in space.

MadDog73
02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
The Spurs must win this game, that is not hyperbole.

Well, simply put, this is false. This is not a must win game.

1. We have another chance after this to beat the Mavs.

2. There's still a long way to go, even if we lose, I wouldn't rule out getting homecourt.

3. Even if we lose homecourt, Jim, do you really think we'll lose a 7 game series to the Mavs?

101A
02-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Enough about the Mavs.

They have not:

* Played in SA yet (toughest threat in the West - 2 games to go)
* Played in Detroit yet (1 to go there)
* Played in NJ yet (not THAT tough, but a division leader nonetheless)
* Played in Cleveland yet (they play tough teams tough at home)

They still have to play games at Phoenix (late April - when Amare is totally back) AND @ Clippers

That's 7 games which are very tough (5 extremely so) - Spurs only have 3 tough, and since they get Phoenix before Amare returns, none extremely.

Spurs schedule was front-loaded, Mavs back-loaded; and yet only 1 game separates them AND the Spurs have not focussed yet.

These teams aren't that close.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 11:54 AM

I read somewhere that the NBA changed the second tiebreaker from conference record to division record, but can't find confirmation of that. If the second tiebreaker is division record, it makes the Spurs win in Memphis a huge one in retrospect, since the Spurs and Mavericks are tied in the loss column in that category.

Spurminator
02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
It would not fit in space.

:lol

Or you just changed your mind later, as evidenced by the "edit" in the post.

It's all good, I was just adding to the discussion... Not really arguing your take.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I read somewhere that the NBA changed the second tiebreaker from conference record to division record, but can't find confirmation of that. If the second tiebreaker is division record, it makes the Spurs win in Memphis a huge one in retrospect, since the Spurs and Mavericks are tied in the loss column in that category.

That has not changed. It was always division first, when both teams were tied in the same division.

Jimcs50
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
:lol

Or you just changed your mind later, as evidenced by the "edit" in the post.

It's all good, I was just adding to the discussion... Not really arguing your take.

I edited to put it in bold

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
That has not changed. It was always division first, when both teams were tied in the same division.

That's not true. The Spurs won the division in 2002-03 by virtue of a tiebreaker with Dallas. The teams split the regular season and the Mavericks had a better division record than the Spurs did. The Spurs won the tiebreaker based on a better record in the Western Conference, so the 2nd tiebreaker wasn't division record, it was conference record.

I just wish I could remember where those tiebreakers are published. Neither ESPN nor nba.com has put up their annual "Race for the Playoffs" page, which is usually where that info is readily available.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:03 PM

From NBA.COM

TIEBREAKER BASIS:
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Head-to-head
(2) Conference
(3) Division
(4) vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(5) vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(6) Net Points, all games

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 12:06 PM
From NBA.COM

Quote:

TIEBREAKER BASIS:
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Head-to-head
(2) Conference
(3) Division
(4) vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(5) vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(6) Net Points, all games

I'm assuming that's from a previous year. If that's something that is attached to THIS year's standings, I'd be interested in the link.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm assuming that's from a previous year. If that's something that is attached to THIS year's standings, I'd be interested in the link.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html

Right. So that's from last year. I recall reading that the NBA changed the tiebreakers after last season -- arguably to reflect a greater importance on division games -- by flipping the 2nd and 3rd tiebreakers. If that's true, the Spurs will need to do more than just beat Dallas once to secure the tiebreaker.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Right. So that's from last year. I recall reading that the NBA changed the tiebreakers after last season -- arguably to reflect a greater importance on division games -- by flipping the 2nd and 3rd tiebreakers. If that's true, the Spurs will need to do more than just beat Dallas once to secure the tiebreaker.

Yep, I didn't look closley enough at it; thought it was this year's standings...haven't found confirmation either way for this season, however.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Yep, I didn't look closley enough at it; thought it was this year's standings...haven't found confirmation either way for this season, however.

And I might be wrong, but I'd like to know. What got to me was when the Spurs and Mavericks were in a dead heat a couple of weeks ago, the Spurs seemingly held the tiebreaker under last year's rules because of a superior conference record, but the TNT announcers (well, Kevin Harlan mostly) were adamant that the Mavericks were leading the West. The nba.com software had them listed atop the division, too; that made sense if you believed that the software basically looked to conference wins at early stages of the season to determine which team held that second tiebreaker, though it assumes that the nba uses some fairly non-sophisticated software. But, at the time, the Mavericks had more division wins, too. So, the combination of all of those things makes me think I'm not just imagining that change.

And if it's true, that change is rather significant.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:32 PM
And if it's true, that change is rather significant.

Or academic, if you, like I, believe that the Spurs will ultimately hold a 2-3 game edge in the W/L because of remaining schedules - also, when the Spurs beat the Mavs twice, it's two "L's" for the division race.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I've found several corroborations for the conference record - before division record tiebreaker scheme; none for the flip.

I'm not doubting you FWD, but I can't find it anywhere.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I've found several corroborations for the conference record - before division record tiebreaker scheme; none for the flip.

I'm not doubting you FWD, but I can't find it anywhere.

Oh, I'd be happy to know that I was wrong, to be honest about it.

I've probably found the same corroborations, but nothing that relates specifically to the current NBA rule or to the current NBA season.

And, you're right -- it is academic if the Spurs take care of their business.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Harris and Howard aren't right. Harris has an injured Quadricep and Howard a sprained ankle. The 2 players that killed the spurs their first meeting aren't healthy. We'll see what happens though.

101A
02-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Harris and Howard aren't right. Harris has an injured Quadricep and Howard a sprained ankle. The 2 players that killed the spurs their first meeting aren't healthy. We'll see what happens though.

'little early for excuses, ain't it '000?

Willinsa
02-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Are you preparing for a loss already. :lol

newbiefan
02-27-2006, 01:31 PM
The Spurs Last 10 games are nothing to be happy and confident about.
Needed overtime to beat the Raptors
Lost to the Sixers.
Blown out by the Cavs.
Blow a big lead and barely escaped the B2B-tired Grizz (allowing 31 pts in 4th qtr

didn't the mavericks have to come back from a 19 point and then a 24 point deficit. yeah, they came back and won, but they should not have gotten to that point either.

Dunc
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM

I think you make excuses after the game. I guess Mavs fans do things differently.

batman2883
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Spurs will defeat the Mavs on thursday, and it will be a close game.......

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Hey I would be more confident if Dallas was healthy but that is not the case. Harris's injury is lingering and Howard just sprained his ankle.

GoSpurs21
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
why is it that everyone thinks AJ has the Spurs playbook? Where does this nonsense come from. The Spurs offense looks nothing like it did when slow ass AJ ran it, now we have a good motion offense. Back when AJ was running the team it was all half court and very little motion.

and even if this was remotely true, so the fuck what, its still Spurs players having to run their offense against dallas' so called defense. If dallas' defense is so fucking good how do you explain them getting into huge holes over mediocre teams.

I think that if anything Pop knows what AJ is going to do and how to counter it more than AJ know how to counter what Pop is going to do. The Spurs have more experienced and battle tested players (expect NVE and Fin) and most importantly, the Spurs have the mental toughness it will take to beat the mavs

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey I would be more confident if Dallas was healthy but that is not the case. Harris's injury is lingering and Howard just sprained his ankle.

I thought you said the Mavericks were the deepest team in the NBA.

batman2883
02-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Harris had a great game the first time, thats fine, but the dude will not deliver games like that consistantly enough to beat the Spurs himself....Dirk will be on lockdown, JTerry will have a great game, Josh Howard's sprained ankle might not even allow him to play, who's gonna step up??? With Nazr and Rasho actually grabbing boards now i doubt there will be any chance for Dallas to win this game, even with a healthy Harris and Howard......

TOP-CHERRY
02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Yep, this is a big game.

boutons_
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
"why is it that everyone thinks AJ has the Spurs playbook"

Pop has said everybody has tapes of everybody else's games.
There are no secrets.
Results depend on who executes better.

StylisticS
02-27-2006, 03:09 PM
I think you make excuses after the game. I guess Mavs fans do things differently.

Nah. Just that Mavs "fan". If we lose without Harris and Howard we lose without Harris and Howard even though both should be back.

rayray2k8
02-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Im waiting for a quote from bill walton over hyping the game.. :lol

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:38 PM
"This could be the biggest game in the history of mankind"-Bill Walton

Joepa
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Can't wait to see this game. Should be a fun one.

101A
02-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Comparing the remaining games...

Spurs:
- 10 games against teams over .500 (6 home, 4 road)
- 4 games against teams over .600 (3 home, 1 road)
- 5 back-to-backs

Mavs:
- 14 games against teams over .500 (6 home, 8 road)
- 6 games against teams over .600 (2 home, 4 road)
- 6 back-to-backs, including a stretch of 4 games in 5 days

Spurs could very well lose the game this Thursday, and still win the division. If the Spurs win, it almost seals the deal.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Is Josh Howard going to play?

If not, the game doesn't mean much for the Spurs to win with him out.

mavsfan1000
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Devin Harris is out tonight and Howard is a game time decision so I guess if Howard is healthy tonight he will be healthy against the spurs but not 100%. The biggest regular season game and the mavs can't stay healthy. It would prove something if they could win this despite that but I doubt it.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Devin Harris is out tonight and Howard is a game time decision so I guess if Howard is healthy tonight he will be healthy against the spurs but not 100%. The biggest regular season game and the mavs can't stay healthy. It would prove something if they could win this despite that but I doubt it.

It's okay Duncan and Manu aren't healthy either.

rayray2k8
02-27-2006, 03:54 PM
thank you :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2006, 04:04 PM

That sentence is too short to have been one of Walton's. Walton's would read something like this:

This game ranks among the greatest events in human existence and acheivement, along with the discovery of the new world, man landing on the moon, the Grateful Dead's performance at Woodstock, and the birth of John Wooden, who would tell us at UCLA that activity is never a substitute for acheievement and that Dr. Naismith had Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Nazr Mohammed, Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, and Adrian Griffin in mind when he hung that peach basket in that gym all those years ago and undoubtedly lead us directly to this unbelieveably important moment, this incredibly big game, which is clearly the biggest game in the history of mankind. [/walton]

101A
02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
That sentence is too short to have been one of Walton's. Walton's would read something like this:

This game ranks among the greatest events in human existence and acheivement, along with the discovery of the new world, man landing on the moon, the Grateful Dead's performance at Woodstock, and the birth of John Wooden, who would tell us at UCLA that activity is never a substitute for acheievement and that Dr. Naismith had Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Nazr Mohammed, Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, and Adrian Griffin in mind when he hung that peach basket in that gym all those years ago and undoubtedly lead us directly to this unbelieveably important moment, this incredibly big game, which is clearly the biggest game in the history of mankind. [/walton]

nice