PDA

View Full Version : Texans considering trade for Bush

MoSpur
02-27-2006, 10:39 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush might not land with the Houston Texans after all.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Sunday the Texans have been talking to teams about possibly trading the first pick in the 2006 draft.

It has been widely speculated that the Heisman Trophy winning running back out of Southern California would end up with the Texans because they recently gave quarterback David Carr a three-year contract extension.

The Texans, who finished 2-14 last season, have multiple needs that might be filled with one major move.

"There's clearly players at the top of this draft that are marquee players," Casserly said. "Players that are impact players, players that are going to go to the Pro Bowl, players that are going to sell tickets. We're going to get offers for this pick. We've already had discussions with teams. I think there's value in our pick.

"Whether it's Reggie Bush, Vince Young or Matt Leinart, those three players are going to produce trade offers. We are definitely going to have some choices when it comes to draft day."

midgetonadonkey
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Good. They need more than just one dude to have a successful season. If they can trade dow, get D'Brickashaw Ferguson and a couple of additional draft picks, it would be best.

Peter
03-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure they should deal the pick. I think Bush would flourish in Houston. They already have an every down workhorse back in Davis. Bush would be great as the big play guy, be it lining up in the backfield, going out wide, or into the slot. He'd also be great to have for kick returns. Between him and Mathis an opponent couldn't sleep on any punt or kickoff. Kubiak and friends know how to build a quality offensive line as well as how to salvage a QB talent who's underachieved in the league. It seemed like every year Denver had someone rush for 1500 yards. I'm not sure they have to use high picks in the draft to build that Oline. I think they should go with Bush and then see if they can get a quality TE along the way. The Texans have the material to put together a dynamic, producing offense and put butts in seats and eyes on the tube.

Peter
03-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Also, the WR corps is fine with Johnson and Gaffney. The Texans don't necessarily have to fix the Oline on draft day. If they need a couple of offseasons, that's fine. I forget which Denver lineman but one did indicate that he would be interested in joining the Texans in free agency this summer. All in all, things are looking up for the team, though that shouldn't be hard when you are coming off a 2-14 season. Still, this team was 7-9 the season prior and endured some injuries and bad luck last season.

Peter
03-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Davis certainly was last season. Bush's spot in Houston would not be limited to the backfield. Just because a team might have a strength in a certain area, that doesn't mean you should pass up a golden opportunity to make it stronger.

Sure the Oline sucks, but there is no reason why it has to be fixed through the draft.

Kubiak was already praising Bush when he was in Denver. Now he has a chance to coach him.

As for extending Carr, that's the obvious path if you are going to draft for other positions. Carr's not a bad QB and now the Texans have the coach who helped make Plummer look pretty damn good.

The Texans don't have to be totally fixed this offseason. Having the opportunity to add a talent like Bush doesn't come along all the time. Even if they dealt him they wouldn't cure the Oline problem. They don't have to be so nearsighted that they take on a lineman prospect and a maybe one vet while giving up a player like Bush.

Horry For 3!
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Texans could trade picks with Jets and get that OL Ferguson, DE Abraham (Jets trying to get rid of) and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

scott
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
This is the best draft at the top in recent memory - Houston should be able to reap a pretty plentiful bounty given the prize available for a team moving from out of the top 3. The Jets' #4, John Abraham, a 2nd and a 3rd aren't enough. Add next year's #1 and #2 and you have the starting point for a deal.

Extra Stout
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure they should deal the pick. I think Bush would flourish in Houston. They already have an every down workhorse back in Davis. Bush would be great as the big play guy, be it lining up in the backfield, going out wide, or into the slot. He'd also be great to have for kick returns. Between him and Mathis an opponent couldn't sleep on any punt or kickoff. Kubiak and friends know how to build a quality offensive line as well as how to salvage a QB talent who's underachieved in the league. It seemed like every year Denver had someone rush for 1500 yards. I'm not sure they have to use high picks in the draft to build that Oline. I think they should go with Bush and then see if they can get a quality TE along the way. The Texans have the material to put together a dynamic, producing offense and put butts in seats and eyes on the tube.
Coaching will help the offensive line. They have had poor coaching for years. Pendry tried to implement zone blocking but he neither could teach it nor did he really understand it that well.

Nevertheless, only Pitts and Wiegert have NFL-starter-type talent. Wiegert is aging and injury-prone. Pitts has been undisciplined his whole career, which may be related to the shitty coaching.

The better coaching alone won't fix everything, though, because the talent level still is well below average on that line.

Extra Stout
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Also, the WR corps is fine with Johnson and Gaffney. The Texans don't necessarily have to fix the Oline on draft day. If they need a couple of offseasons, that's fine. I forget which Denver lineman but one did indicate that he would be interested in joining the Texans in free agency this summer. All in all, things are looking up for the team, though that shouldn't be hard when you are coming off a 2-14 season. Still, this team was 7-9 the season prior and endured some injuries and bad luck last season.
Johnson certainly is a fine talent. But Gaffney? He sucks. He belongs on a practice squad. It's a testimony to Casserly's poor talent evaluation that a player like Gaffney is their #2 receiver. Opposing defenses knew they could double Johnson because even in man-to-man Gaffney and Bradford hardly are threats to make first downs, much less break downfield.

Or, they could blitz at will.

Horry For 3!
03-01-2006, 06:08 PM
This is the best draft at the top in recent memory - Houston should be able to reap a pretty plentiful bounty given the prize available for a team moving from out of the top 3. The Jets' #4, John Abraham, a 2nd and a 3rd aren't enough. Add next year's #1 and #2 and you have the starting point for a deal.
Jets would never do that deal. They would do #4, Abraham, 2nd round and maybe a 3rd round.

Peter
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Coaching will help the offensive line. They have had poor coaching for years. Pendry tried to implement zone blocking but he neither could teach it nor did he really understand it that well.

Nevertheless, only Pitts and Wiegert have NFL-starter-type talent. Wiegert is aging and injury-prone. Pitts has been undisciplined his whole career, which may be related to the shitty coaching.

The better coaching alone won't fix everything, though, because the talent level still is well below average on that line.

Well, I'm counting on better coaching and new talent. I'm not sure you have to deal the pick to go after a prospect and a run of the mill lineman. If someone offers you something stupid ala the Vikings and HWalker you probably have to take that. I'm not sure the Texans have to fix everything this offseason through the draft. Barring the too good to pass up deal, the Texans should take Bush.

Peter
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Johnson certainly is a fine talent. But Gaffney? He sucks. He belongs on a practice squad. It's a testimony to Casserly's poor talent evaluation that a player like Gaffney is their #2 receiver. Opposing defenses knew they could double Johnson because even in man-to-man Gaffney and Bradford hardly are threats to make first downs, much less break downfield.

Or, they could blitz at will.

Well, it's certainly more Johnson than Gaffney. Bush would add a wrinkle of his own in the lineup. I guess they can check the later rounds for a solid WR prospect.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Texans decide they don't want Bush?

Insert Brokeback joke.

scott
03-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Jets would never do that deal. They would do #4, Abraham, 2nd round and maybe a 3rd round.

The Texans would be morons to do that deal. Precedent has been set for these kind of deals, most recently the Eli deal.

Despot
04-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Bump

:lmao