PDA

View Full Version : Colangelo leaves Suns, reportedly headed to Toronto

CubanMustGo
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
WTF? http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2347020

Bryan Colangelo could be going from one of the best teams in the NBA to one of the worst.

The Phoenix Suns announced Monday that Colangelo, their president and GM, had resigned, and sources told The Globe and Mail in Toronto that Colangelo would assume those same roles with the Raptors.

According to The Globe and Mail, the Raptors' hiring of Colangelo would be effective immediately after his resignation from the Suns, with a formal announcement coming Tuesday.

"There are some final details to work out with the Suns regarding his situation that's where it is right now," an NBA source told The Globe and Mail. "There will be something more later, but it is not out of the realm of possibility to say he's coming to Toronto."

Colangelo, who was named the 2005 NBA executive of the year after his retooled roster won a league-high 62 games, would replace Rob Babcock, who was fired by the Raptors Jan. 26.

"Bryan has decided that his preference is to leave the Suns, and under those circumstances, we saw no other option other than to accept his decision," Suns managing partner Robert Sarver said in a statement.

Colangelo could not be reached for comment.

Colangelo was in his 11th season as the Suns' general manager and 17th with the team. His father is Suns chairman and CEO Jerry Colangelo, who sold the club to a group led by Sarver.

Colangelo reportedly has a contract worth $1 million per year that runs through next season. He also has an ownership stake in the Suns that he would have to sell upon leaving the club.

The Raptors have reportedly offered Colangelo a multiyear deal worth $3 million per year, and the job would give him more power over basketball operations than he has with the Suns.

JMarkJohns
02-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Congrats! The Raptors pulled the coup.

Lifelong Sun now gone. Thanks Sarvar.

Just damn. Sarvar better get a pick out of this. A good one, because this move, unlike others isn't so easily fixed. Kerr already shot him down.

"Troubled times, on that I can rely. I'm off the wagon and I'm hitchin' a ride."

In no way does the above line change my feelings toward tothe Suns.

As for Sarvar, the honeymoon is over. That guy better put a Championship product on the court around Amare, or there will be echoes of boos like nothing ever heard.

RaptorsFan
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I don't think we need to give you guys any compensation since Colangelo resigned.

Anyways, this is fantastic news for the organization. Finally some respectability after Babcock crippled the franchise.. Things are really going in the right direction now. If Colangelo can surround Bosh with the right people, we could be an up-and-coming team.