PDA

View Full Version : Pacers boost backcourt flexibility.

Pooh
09-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Pacers boost backcourt flexibility.
Anderson gives Indiana another veteran who can play either guard position.

By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
September 20, 2003

The Indiana Pacers on Friday potentially addressed depth at two positions with the signing of veteran guard Kenny Anderson to a one-year contract.

"This is where I wanted to be and I'm glad it worked out," Anderson said in a statement. "It's a great fit for me."

It's even better for the Pacers.

With veterans Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson and Jamison Brewer, the addition of Anderson suddenly gives the Pacers depth at point guard.

It also allows more flexibility with backcourt rotations. Anderson is a dangerous outside shooter (career .345 from 3-point range) in addition to being a savvy floor general. And despite his 6-1, 170-pound frame, he is capable of working at both guards spots.

"I think Kenny has done some of that, but what he really can do is score from that position," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Friday. "It gives him another dimension and I think that will help our team. He's got some qualities that I'm not sure we have.

"Kenny's a veteran player that knows what he's doing, can run the pick-and-roll, can create his own shot and he can shoot from the outside. He can score and play point guard."

President of basketball operations Larry Bird, who got a good look at the Pacers' new addition while Anderson played in Boston, has watched his career.

"He's always been one of my favorites and I look forward to working with him," Bird said in a statement.

Johnson, a free agent signed in July from New Jersey, has the size (6-3, 190), strength and versatility to play both guard positions as well. While he wasn't coveted on the free-agent market like Anderson was, he has raised some eyebrows with his workouts at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"I think he is going to surprise people," Walsh said of Johnson, who served as Jason Kidd's backup the past two seasons.

The additions of Anderson and Johnson, a six-year veteran, provide a security blanket of sorts for Tinsley, who was thrust into a starting role when the Pacers acquired him from Atlanta for a future first-round draft pick in July 2001.

Tinsley, who has shed about 20 pounds since the end of last season, became the first rookie to start on opening night for the Pacers since Vern Fleming in the 1984-85 season.

Tinsley's inconsistent outside shot and inability to maintain his physical condition have eroded his performance in each of his first two seasons. Were that to happen this season, with more than adequate replacements waiting in the wings, Tinsley might be forced to fight for the right to stay on the floor.

"All that is positive for Jamaal," Walsh said. "These guys are competitive, they're talented and they are true veterans. Kenny's been in it longer, but Anthony is a solid veteran. They know what you have to do; they've got that kind of knowledge. They've both been with teams that have been successful.

"I think they're exactly the kind of guys you want around Jamaal, who's going into just his third year in the league."

Notes

The Pacers have the maximum 15 players under contract. . . . In addition to undrafted rookie forward Carl English, who impressed Pacers officials with his play in the Rocky Mountain Revue, guards Omar Cook and Brian Brown will be invited to training camp that opens Sept. 29. The 6-4 Brown played at Ohio State from 1999-2002 and played last season in Germany.

pacersrule03
09-23-2003, 07:59 PM
oooh i hope we pick up omar cook, i really liked him at st. johns.

Pooh
09-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Tell me more about Cook, you have me curious now.