PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Eastern Conference Power Rankings.

Pooh
09-23-2003, 07:47 PM
You've seen the overall power rankings, now for the Eastern Conference, the way it could and should be. Instead of just covering all of the teams in the East, I decided just to cover only eight teams, being that only that many make the playoffs. So lets begin.

1. New Jersey Nets - I'm only giving them the number one slot mainly cause they won the conference once again. They picked up Alonzo Mourning, which is a huge question mark in my opinion. With no true center, the Nets will have to rely on Jason Kidd, who rightfully snubbed the champion Spurs, in order to stay in Jersey. Kenyon Martin will also be asked to carry the load along with Kidd. But have they run out of steam this year, after two disastrous defeats in the finals.

2. Indiana Pacers - The return of Bird, Rick Carlisle. It has all the trappings of a wonderful year in Indiana. But a lot of questions still need to be answered. Is Scot Pollard reliable and good enough to work along side Jermaine O'Neal? How will the loss of Brad Miller effect this team? Is Reggie Miller 100% after off-season surgery, and what about O'Neal? His best friend and coach Isiah Thomas was fired without consulting its' biggest star, how will he react? Will there be another "implosion" at the end of the season again? If the Pacers play up to their expectations, there should be no doubt that the Pacers will indeed represent the East in the 2004 finals.

3. Detroit Pistons - Traveling Gypsy Coach Larry Brown was brought in to put the Pistons over the hump and into the finals. Ben Wallace is still very domination and they still have young talent. But can this team handle another disappointment in the Eastern Conference finals?

4. Orlando Magic - They took the Pistons to the brink of elimination in the playoffs, only to fall apart at the end. They're thin at the point position, but as long as Tracy McGrady is there, the Magic still can shock some teams this coming season.

5. Philadelphia 76'ers - Another team with another new coach. Allen Iverson doesn't have to worry now about Larry Brown over his shoulder. Randy Ayers comes in to the asylum now. Not only does he have to figure out a way to feed the ball into Iverson's hands. Now he has to deal with another headache in Glenn Robinson. Just sit back and wait for the implosion folks.

6. New Orleans Hornets - With Paul Silas gone, the Hornets could be in a downward spiral. Former Chicago Bulls coach Tim Floyd was brought in to see what he could do. The trio of P.J. Brown, Baron Davis and Jamaal Mashburn are still a factor, but can they improve from their first round defeat of a year ago?

7. Boston Celtics - They couldn't get Larry Bird to come back, so they got Danny Ainge to restore "Celtic Pride". For Coach Jim O'Brien and staff, they're going to have to rely on more than just the duo of Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker. Tony Battie and Tony Delk showed potential during the playoffs but the Celtics have never been the same since their defeat in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals.

8. Miami Heat - Pat Riley has another up-incoming star to mold or to mess up in Lamar Odom. With the exception of three players, the Heat has a very young team. This is a perfect opportunity for Riley to see what he can do with young talent. Although lacking a true center, the Heat could finally make a return trip back to the playoffs.

Honorable Mention: Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls.

pacersrule03
09-23-2003, 07:58 PM
the eastern conference is just going to be a mess this year. The nets are definately #1. #2 and #3 could be switched either way you look at it. I'm also liking the Magic this year at #4. Finally Tmac doesn't have all the load on himself this season, he has a supporting cast of juwan howard, tyronne lue, reece gaines, and gooden. Unlike most people i'm not liking the 76ers chances this year, but they always seem to pull something out so who knows. One thing i disagree with is the heat at #8, I highly doubt they will make the playoffs. I'd pick the wizards for that spot, hopefully gilbert arenas can give that team the boost they need. If the nets are the east champs again....:shootme

-kyle

Pooh
09-23-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah I know it's a mess, but a lovely one to watch during the season. I agree with you at the eighth slot, it was hard deciding really. We'll see now where all this stands around mid December.