PDA

View Full Version : You know who should be our backup PG?

aaronstampler
02-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Brent. That was his position in Seattle, primarily. Pop is misusing him as a backup SG or SF. That's why he's not playing that well, he plays the best with the ball in his hands, running the offense. His talents are being wasted as a spot up shooter. He's not Steve Kerr or John Paxson, and he never has been.

He showed in the finals that he's the best backup PG we have on this team, and I don't think anything has changed. Both NVE and Beno are classified as PGs because of their height, but not necessarily because it's what they're good at. Just like Steve Francis, both NVE and Beno are better at scoring than they are at running an offense.

On the other hand, Brent's unselfish nature is perfect for the role of a PG. He just happens to be 6'7, so he's got the swingman label.

Instead of being Manu's backup, I think Fin should be Bowen's backup. NVE should be the backup SG, and Brent should backup Tony. I think our second unit would function a lot better against good teams this way, and it would provide more oppurtunities for Fin and Manu to be on the court at the same time.

yeahone
02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
well i like how the teams plays right now no need to fix something when its not broken

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree, Pop has been fucking this team up for years. John Lucas was better. :D

yeahone
02-27-2006, 11:10 PM
lol

sa_butta
02-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Im sure he will be rotated in as needed but probably wont be the #1 backup. He will see a fair share of minutes come playoff time.

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I remember another guard that could shoot it when the real lights were on:

http://www.spurstalk.com/magigstat.jpg

sa_butta
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Jaren Jackson!!! I loved the head shake.

T Park
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Pop is misusing him as a backup SG or SF. That's why he's not playing that well

No the reason hes playing bad, is because hes too chicken shit to shoot, and his defense ranks up with Steve Smith bad.

THATS why.

Its all on Barry.

True, Pop prob dooesn't run enough plays for him and what not, but Barry has the green light to shoot the ball every damn time he has it, and the only one keeping Brent from being Brent, is, uh, Brent.

T Park
02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
The lights were on against Seattle and Brent was pathetic.

Where was Brent in games 1, 2, 3,4,5,6, of the Finals?

1 good game in the playoffs of any meaning and hes thought of as some clutch player for some reason.

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:20 PM

1 good game in the playoffs of any meaning and hes thought of as some clutch player for some reason.

Where were you? You quit bitch. :fro

Solid D
02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I agree, Pop has been ****ing this team up for years. John Lucas was better. :D

:rollin

Solid D
02-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Brent can make plays but Beno really is a natural PG. He needs to get stronger with the ball against bigger defenders...no doubt, but Beno is much better at delivering to the open man.

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Brent can make plays but Beno really is a natural PG. He needs to get stronger with the ball against bigger defenders...no doubt, but Beno is much better at delivering to the open man.

Yeah, but Pop needs to hand him the ball once he gets past half court.

T Park
02-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Where were you? You quit bitch

You quit after game 1 against Denver, WTF are you talking about Pot.

and learn that whole, bring the ball up against pressure thing.

Solid D
02-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Okay, Sequ you're right. Beno is a natural PG at driveway basketball. :lol

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:35 PM
You quit after game 1 against Denver, WTF are you talking about Pot.

and learn that whole, bring the ball up against pressure thing.

Did you get an invitation into this topic?

ShoogarBear
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
You know who should be our backup PG?
Yeah. Speedy. :depressed

SequSpur
02-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Okay, Sequ you're right. Beno is a natural PG at driveway basketball. :lol

Yeah... good one...

Oh... and Speedy would've been nice to.

T Park
02-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah. Speedy

yuuup.

A move I gaurantee Pop wishes he could do over again.

Joepa
02-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Jaren Jackson was the greatest Spur of all time. Can't believe we let that guy go. I mean, look at the career he had after the Spurs!

Un-fricking-believable.

Ya'll just ruined my night.

kris
02-28-2006, 12:38 AM
2 problems I can think of right away:

1) He can't handle the ball against pressure

2) He doesn't have a left hand

Solid D
02-28-2006, 12:40 AM
2 problems I can think of right away:

1) He can't handle the ball against pressure

2) He doesn't have a left hand

Brent doesn't have a left hand?

ChumpDumper
02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Brent doesn't have a left hand?I smell a new photoshop contest.

Solid D
02-28-2006, 12:49 AM
:lol Well, I knew he couldn't be talking about Beno because Beno is left-handed...

T Park
02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I got Kris's joke.

Gotta be quick around here.... :)

I wouldn't be opossed to Brent being the back up point.

As long as hes more agressive.

sa_butta
02-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I got Kris's joke.

Gotta be quick around here.... :)

I wouldn't be opossed to Brent being the back up point.

As long as hes more agressive.Come to think of it we might be on to something here. He is a great passer and this might be a better fit for him since he has been so timid shooting the ball.

SouthernFried
02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
I dunno...some of his passes in previous games were of the "wtf was he thinking" category.

Still, he does have some point guard abilities. Right now, I'd put him over NVE...but, behind Beno.

Unless there's a lotta pressure on the point, NVE does handle pressure ok. Nick's so slow bringing up the ball, pressure would only make him move faster.

Chris
02-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Nick's so slow bringing up the ball, pressure would only make him move faster.

Nick the Quick is "slow bringing up the ball"? What part of your brain did you contrive that rubbish from?

MI21
02-28-2006, 09:29 AM
I thought Brent was going to be backup PG this season after his showing in Game 6/7 off the Finals, and I would of been happy with that. He needs the ball in his hands to be useful.

But I also agree with the NVE signing a lot, and I like some things Beno brings too :lol

Solid D
02-28-2006, 09:33 AM
The PG depth is actually quite good but the quickness fades once TP goes out. Nick isn't Nick "The Quick" any more...but he knows the angles and he can score when he's "on".

I've been impressed with some of Beno's ball-handling this year. His right to left cross-over dribble gets him past the first defender a lot more than last year.

MI21
02-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I've been impressed with some of Beno's ball-handling this year. His right to left cross-over dribble gets him past the first defender a lot more than last year.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure I agree. I like it when he just goes hard one way and doesn't try and get tricky with the ball. His behind the back dribble is the one that gets him in trouble, I never want to see it again. Also when he does get past his man on the perimeter, he needs to protect the ball better. I'm sick of seeing the ball get stripped out from behind when he goes up to shoot or pass.

Other than his ball handling, I like what Beno brings. He isn't afraid to shoot and we know he has range. His finishing at the rim has been better this year too. He's definitly a very good backup overall.

SAGambler
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Brent. I think our second unit would function a lot better against good teams this way, and it would provide more oppurtunities for Fin and Manu to be on the court at the same time.

Yeah, the way they played that 4th quarter last night looked really terrible, not to mention the 70 points the bench poured in last night.

Think I'll go with Pop on this one.

Peter
02-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I'd rather Manu bring up the ball if for whatever reason the other backup PGs are not available. I think Brent is in his proper position with the Spurs.

SenorSpur
02-28-2006, 10:55 AM
This just shows the versatility of several players on the team. I do believe Brent would thrive with having some spot duty in that role in certain situations. However with the logjam at that position, I can't see Pop using him there because it would take time away from NVE and Beno when they're spelling TP.

Should be interesting to see how Pop "utilizes" this versatility come playoff time.

Peter
02-28-2006, 10:57 AM
The Spurs benefit from Barry's experience as a PG in their offense as it is when he's on the floor. I think that the optimal use of his talent.

Que Gee
02-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Uh, he basically was the backup point guard in game 6 and 7...Go back and watch the games...since based on a lot of what you write...you don't.