PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Tim Thomas may go West, San Antonio or Phoenix ?

juncan
02-28-2006, 04:14 AM
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

ATLANTA -- The Nets' pursuit of Tim Thomas took a sharp turn for the worse Sunday night, when Chicago's buyout provisions expanded to include a demand that the forward find future employment outside of the Eastern Conference.

Bulls GM John Paxson told agent Arn Tellem that he is determined to give Thomas the money he has left on his $14 million contract and allow him to become a free agent, but only if Thomas subsequently signs with San Antonio or Phoenix.

The negotiation continued yesterday with no settlement. But Paxson has control of the discussion: If Thomas is not waived by Wednesday, the Paterson native won't be eligible for the playoffs regardless of what team he chooses to play for.

Entering the weekend, it was believed that Paxson didn't want Thomas to go to Philadelphia, because the Bulls are chasing the Sixers for the eighth seed in the East. But the Nets have been added to his list of undesirables because they still have two games against Chicago this season.

http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114110888934360.xml&coll=1

ChumpDumper
02-28-2006, 04:24 AM
The hits keep coming.

Mr. Body
02-28-2006, 04:26 AM
This was expected. He'd be a great pick-up for Phoenix.

Phenomanul
02-28-2006, 08:58 AM
This was expected. He'd be a great pick-up for Phoenix.

Yeah... because he's lazy on D. Wasn't his rift with Skiles that he didn't work enough on the defensive end? Pop is a similar coach... Tim knows that and will probably choose Phoenix.... It can still happen though...

Peter
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
I still do not see how the Bulls and Thomas can agree to a buyout that provides partial payment if he signs with an EC team. I guess if a buyout can include a changing of the amount due Thomas for this season then such restrictions can be included. About the only thing I would think the Bulls could do is offer to pay Thomas the rest of the full salary due him immediately if he signs with a WC team as an incentive.

My understanding is that the only way the Bulls can be certain that he doesn't end up on another EC team's playoff roster is to not waive him until after March 1. I guess what the Bulls are angling for is a gentleman's agreement with Tellem. But it's not like an agent hasn't broken one of those before in the NBA. Offhand, I don't know what other Tellem clients are with the Bulls. That, or clients who want to get to Chicago might provide the reason why Tellem would have a reason to not screw the Bulls.

Anyways, I hope that the Bulls can offer a buyout with those restrictions.

picnroll
02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Hard to see Pop having his standard talk with a potential FA "No guaranteed playing time. You have to play D if you want a wiff of the floor. Any bitching and you're gone" and Thomas not signing with the Suns. Don't get the feeling Thomas is cut from the same cloth as Finley.

Peter
02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Hard to see Pop having his standard talk with a potential FA "No guaranteed playing time. You have to play D if you want a wiff of the floor. Any bitching and you're gone" and Thomas not signing with the Suns. Don't get the feeling Thomas is cut from the same cloth as Finley.

...or Pop says "we just tried to move our 4th swing. Finley's at the end of his career. Bruce is getting up there too. We like your game and believe you would fit in well in SA. No guarantees, though."

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Hasn't Pop been reluctant to deal with Arn Tellem and his clients in the not-too-distant past?

JMarkJohns
02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't want him. He'll only steal minutes from James Jones, who isn't lazy on defense or the boards. Sure, he's tall, but so the eff what...

PM5K
02-28-2006, 12:22 PM
The more I think about it, and with Tim's health at less than 100%, but with him doing everything but scoring, maybe Thomas would be a good fit here, I mean he's no Jordan but he can score tha basketball....

leemajors
02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
tim thomas wouldn't come here if Duncan wasn't with San Antonio.

Streakyshooter08
02-28-2006, 01:03 PM
If he is in game shape I would take him. There is not much of a risk. By the way over 60% of the ppl who voted on woai.com want the Spurs to pickup either Spree or TT... interesting...

Gummi
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
I want the Spurs to stay away from any changes. Sure Thomas would be a great pickup if Finley wasn't here. There's no way Barry, Finley, and Thomas can split the reserve minutes between them.

The only reason I see Pop signing Thomas is because Horry's injury is going to linger on for the rest of the season.

Peter
02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
The Spurs made a late change last season. That one turned out to be a positive, I thought.

The more quality players you have at your disposal come the offseason, the better. Sure, the team would be altered if it lost one of the Big 3. But if a Barry or Finley goes down, you have someone who's played before sitting on the end of that bench.

The Spurs have had a history of seldom used, experienced players making postseason contributions. The most famous, of course, was Kerr in Game 6 of the '03 WCF. Danny Ferry stepped up and started in Game 2 of the '03 series against the Suns when they had already gone up 1-0. Last season Glenn Robinson provided some late season scoring as well as a couple of good stints in the postseason, namely for his stints against Anthony in the Denver series as well as his play in Game 1 of the Finals when he helped the Spurs get back in the game after Detroit jumped out to the early double digit lead.

To me, there is no negative. If a recent addition isn't working and is fucking things up, Pop will get rid of him. Spree supposedly respects Pop greatly, so I doubt he'd pose much of a problem in SA. Thomas does pose a greater concern since he'd be on the lookout for minutes, but it's not like that won't be told to him beforehand. If he doesn't join, fine. I suspect the Spurs have Spree as the backup plan.

Also, Spurs fans, don't trash Thomas if he opts to go to the Nets or Sixers.

Streakyshooter08
02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
The Spurs made a late change last season. That one turned out to be a positive, I thought.

The more quality players you have at your disposal come the offseason, the better. Sure, the team would be altered if it lost one of the Big 3. But if a Barry or Finley goes down, you have someone who's played before sitting on the end of that bench.

The Spurs have had a history of seldom used, experienced players making postseason contributions. The most famous, of course, was Kerr in Game 6 of the '03 WCF. Danny Ferry stepped up and started in Game 2 of the '03 series against the Suns when they had already gone up 1-0. Last season Glenn Robinson provided some late season scoring as well as a couple of good stints in the postseason, namely for his stints against Anthony in the Denver series as well as his play in Game 1 of the Finals when he helped the Spurs get back in the game after Detroit jumped out to the early double digit lead.

To me, there is no negative. If a recent addition isn't working and is fucking things up, Pop will get rid of him. Spree supposedly respects Pop greatly, so I doubt he'd pose much of a problem in SA. Thomas does pose a greater concern since he'd be on the lookout for minutes, but it's not like that won't be told to him beforehand. If he doesn't join, fine. I suspect the Spurs have Spree as the backup plan.

Also, Spurs fans, don't trash Thomas if he opts to go to the Nets or Sixers.

+1

SenorSpur
02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
While watching NBA Coast to Coast, I Jjust heard Mark Stein confirm that the Spurs and Suns are VERY serious in acquiring Tim Thomas. He stated that the Spurs would very much desire to "acquire another big 3 man as insurance for the ailing Robert Horry."

Mr. Body
02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
If you can add a player like Tim Thomas for practically nothing, there's no way you don't do it.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Thomas hopes to be bound for New Jersey
Feb. 28, 2006
The Record, Bergen County, NJ

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9273979

ATLANTA -- Tim Thomas believes his settlement with the Bulls is hours away and said there's a "pretty good chance" he'll play with the Nets.

The Nets, Suns, Spurs, Heat, 76ers and Pacers are believed to be in the mix for Thomas after he is bought out and waived.

The Bulls were talking to Thomas' agent, Arn Tellem, on Monday, trying to hammer out the details. The hang-up is that the Bulls don't want Thomas playing for an Eastern Conference competitor.

The Bulls could give Thomas much less than the roughly $5 million left on his deal if he picks the Nets or 76ers, whereas he'll likely get most, if not all, of his money if he chooses the Spurs or Suns.

Thomas must be waived by Wednesday for him to be playoff eligible. All indications are he will be.

"I'm just waiting," Thomas said. "I'm weighing my options, trying to see what's the best scenario for me."

Once the Paterson native is waived, the Nets or any of the above teams would have to wait 48 hours for him to clear waivers. Only teams under the cap can sign him before he clears waivers.

While the Spurs and Heat have obvious appeal, the Suns, now that Kurt Thomas is out for about eight weeks, also could become a player in the Tim Thomas sweepstakes. He would fit well in the Suns' run- and-gun style.

The Nets' appeal is obvious.

"I'm taking into consideration the whole scenario," Thomas said. "Playing with a good friend [Vince Carter], with a great point guard like Jason [Kidd] and alongside RJ [Richard Jefferson] and being at home - that's an opportunity nobody can give me.

"I have to find the situation that's right for me."

Kori Ellis
03-01-2006, 01:33 AM
And now this report just came out saying he's going to the Suns ...

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1141191937231260.xml&coll=1

Nets losing out on Tim Thomas
Suns likely to land Paterson native
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Nets didn't play last night, but they may have suffered the biggest setback of their season.

The resolution of the Tim Thomas buyout agreement was nearly final last night, and it included the provision that the Paterson native would not play for an Eastern Conference team once he is released to become a free agent.

According to a league official, Thomas is headed to Phoenix, which has a frontcourt shortage because of the recent loss of Kurt Thomas, who might miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his foot.

Here's the worst part: Another league official who spoke with agent Arn Tellem yesterday said the Nets were Tim Thomas' first choice.

But on Sunday night, Chicago GM John Paxson told Tellem he wouldn't release the 6-10 forward to a team in the East because it could affect the Bulls' playoff ambitions. After three days of negotiations, Tellem agreed to accept Paxson's terms or risk the possibility that the Bulls wouldn't let Thomas out of his contract.

If Thomas weren't waived by today, he would have been ineligible for the playoffs. He will receive nearly all of the $5.1 remaining on his contract.

The Nets had hoped to plug Thomas into their rotation as a backup forward, one who can spell Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins, and occasionally swing to two-guard. He always has been defensively challenged, but his athleticism and ability to run the floor would have been assets for a Nets team that has received little bench help all season.

Entering tonight's game against the T'wolves, Jason Kidd is on perhaps the best run of his season, averaging 17.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 12.4 assists in the past five games.

Here's the catch: He's also averaging 41.6 minutes in those five games, including 45 apiece in the past two. That's not an ideal scenario for someone who is going to turn 33 later this month.

Still, no complaints from the captain:

"I don't know how many games are left, but I don't think there'll be any effects," Kidd said. "I feel great. After the game (against Indy Sunday) night, I felt great. We'll keep the routine, keep working out and lifting and keep myself young."

He also didn't dismiss the notion that being passed over for the All-Star Game was probably the best thing to happen for him.

"The break is the break. I used it well," he said. "Just getting ready for the second and most important part of the season."

Despite the two-game losing streak, Jefferson is also on one of his efficient offensive streaks again. He's averaging 23.7 points on 50-percent shooting in his past four games.

Timberwolves owner, billionaire Glen Taylor, issued his biannual support for GM Kevin McHale Monday, even though the team is in the tank for the second straight year.

"I think you work with a guy over a longer period of time and you try to judge him over the whole period of time," said Taylor, whose team was 3-9 this month entering last night's game at Chicago.

"Though we're having difficulties this year, I don't just judge a person. I assume some of the times we played better than we should have. Now we're playing probably less than my expectations. I don't want to judge him just on this (season)."

Kori Ellis
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Dealing (with) Thomas

The Bulls plan to release Tim Thomas, but he needs the release by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday to be eligible for the playoffs with another club. Last week Bulls officials said they were working out an oral agreement with Thomas' representatives to send him to a team that isn't competing with the Bulls for a playoff berth or one that is unlikely to play the Bulls in the playoffs. The league prohibits such an agreement, and it's possible Thomas could end up in the Eastern Conference.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-060228bullsbits,1,5662855.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Horry For 3!
03-01-2006, 01:38 AM
And now this report just came out saying he's going to the Suns ...

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1141191937231260.xml&coll=1

Nets losing out on Tim Thomas
Suns likely to land Paterson native
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Nets didn't play last night, but they may have suffered the biggest setback of their season.

The resolution of the Tim Thomas buyout agreement was nearly final last night, and it included the provision that the Paterson native would not play for an Eastern Conference team once he is released to become a free agent.

According to a league official, Thomas is headed to Phoenix, which has a frontcourt shortage because of the recent loss of Kurt Thomas, who might miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his foot.

Here's the worst part: Another league official who spoke with agent Arn Tellem yesterday said the Nets were Tim Thomas' first choice.

But on Sunday night, Chicago GM John Paxson told Tellem he wouldn't release the 6-10 forward to a team in the East because it could affect the Bulls' playoff ambitions. After three days of negotiations, Tellem agreed to accept Paxson's terms or risk the possibility that the Bulls wouldn't let Thomas out of his contract.

If Thomas weren't waived by today, he would have been ineligible for the playoffs. He will receive nearly all of the $5.1 remaining on his contract.

The Nets had hoped to plug Thomas into their rotation as a backup forward, one who can spell Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins, and occasionally swing to two-guard. He always has been defensively challenged, but his athleticism and ability to run the floor would have been assets for a Nets team that has received little bench help all season.

Entering tonight's game against the T'wolves, Jason Kidd is on perhaps the best run of his season, averaging 17.4 points, 8.4 rebounds and 12.4 assists in the past five games.

Here's the catch: He's also averaging 41.6 minutes in those five games, including 45 apiece in the past two. That's not an ideal scenario for someone who is going to turn 33 later this month.

Still, no complaints from the captain:

"I don't know how many games are left, but I don't think there'll be any effects," Kidd said. "I feel great. After the game (against Indy Sunday) night, I felt great. We'll keep the routine, keep working out and lifting and keep myself young."

He also didn't dismiss the notion that being passed over for the All-Star Game was probably the best thing to happen for him.

"The break is the break. I used it well," he said. "Just getting ready for the second and most important part of the season."

Despite the two-game losing streak, Jefferson is also on one of his efficient offensive streaks again. He's averaging 23.7 points on 50-percent shooting in his past four games.

Timberwolves owner, billionaire Glen Taylor, issued his biannual support for GM Kevin McHale Monday, even though the team is in the tank for the second straight year.

"I think you work with a guy over a longer period of time and you try to judge him over the whole period of time," said Taylor, whose team was 3-9 this month entering last night's game at Chicago.

"Though we're having difficulties this year, I don't just judge a person. I assume some of the times we played better than we should have. Now we're playing probably less than my expectations. I don't want to judge him just on this (season)."
Interesting....

SequSpur
03-01-2006, 01:39 AM
I don't even know who this guy is.

jcrod
03-01-2006, 01:49 AM

Why is that not suprising

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2006, 02:47 AM
John Paxon is a wanker, are the bulls even in playoff contention this season?

TT can just sign with sum team for teh rest of teh season then sign with the nets next season and paxon can go EAD.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-01-2006, 03:13 AM
John Paxon is a wanker, are the bulls even in playoff contention this season?

TT can just sign with sum team for teh rest of teh season then sign with the nets next season and paxon can go EAD.

They're three games back of the eighth spot and Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng are hitting their strides.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to actually have any brain function.

Peter
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Dealing (with) Thomas

The Bulls plan to release Tim Thomas, but he needs the release by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday to be eligible for the playoffs with another club. Last week Bulls officials said they were working out an oral agreement with Thomas' representatives to send him to a team that isn't competing with the Bulls for a playoff berth or one that is unlikely to play the Bulls in the playoffs. The league prohibits such an agreement, and it's possible Thomas could end up in the Eastern Conference.

Yeah, I couldn't see the league approving what Paxon is trying to force.

Peter
03-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Hmmm...if Thomas could get some of Horry's minutes down the stretch as well as Barry's, he could end up with at least 20 a night.

Solid D
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Dealing (with) Thomas

Isn't that what Donnie and Larry in Indy were trying to do with the "TruWarier" but without the words "oral agreement" coming into play?

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
i think we should sign this guy since we need minimum 13 players on roster, its better to sign him then let another team sign him which could backfire on us on mismatches.
we could just sign him and tell him to stay home n dont bother comin to the games.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM

He has a 203 average.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
So, If Tim Thomas is cut today, when does he have to be signed by in order to be playoff eligible?

Bruno
03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
So, If Tim Thomas is cut today, when does he have to be signed by in order to be playoff eligible?

He can be sign for a minimum contract as soon as he clears waivers (48 hours after the buyout). He has to be signed just before the playoff (around mid April, I haven't the exact deadline).

MoSpur
03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't think there is a deadline, but he has to be cut by today.

Bruno
03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think there is a deadline, but he has to be cut by today.
The deadline is likely the deadline for playoff roster.

And I don't want thomas, I rather have Beno,Barry or Oberto at the end of the bench for the playoffs.

Duncan21
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
i think we should sign this guy since we need minimum 13 players on roster, its better to sign him then let another team sign him which could backfire on us on mismatches.
we could just sign him and tell him to stay home n dont bother comin to the games.

so we should give him money to do nothing, nice plan

JMarkJohns
03-01-2006, 03:23 PM
ESPN and the Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Phoenix will likely sign him. He's deceided to take his full money and go West and feels the Suns lack of size will help his playing time while the style will help him earn a new contract.

On the Spurs, he'd be lucky to see the floor for 5 minutes a game once Horry gets back.

Peter
03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Sprewell it is.

MoSpur
03-01-2006, 03:29 PM
I was hoping we'd land Thomas. Oh well.

timvp
03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
On the Spurs, he'd be lucky to see the floor for 5 minutes a game once Horry gets back.

The thing is Thomas would be a small forward on the Spurs and a center on the Suns.

Peter
03-01-2006, 03:39 PM
The thing is Thomas would be a small forward on the Spurs and a center on the Suns.

He could get Barry's minutes in SA and also a smidgen of Horry's. A rough estimate would be between 12 on the low end and 20 on the high end. I think Phoenix is more appealing for him, but SA could offer a role plus a future. The swing rotation is fairly aged and Horry's not going to stick around forever and while he's still playing, it wouldn't hurt to have a guy to allow him to play part-time during the regular season. Anyways, it looks like he's off to Phoenix.

NASpurs
03-01-2006, 05:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/thomas_waived_060301.html

March 1, 2006 — The Chicago Bulls announced today it has waived forward Tim Thomas.

The Bulls’ roster now stands at 13.

Thomas appeared in three games with the Bulls this season and averaged 4.3 ppg and 1.3 rpg in 10.7 mpg.

The 6-10, 235-pounder came to Chicago via trade with the New York Knicks on October 4, 2005.

----------------

At least it's official that he was waived :p

Peter
03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Let the games begin.

picnroll
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I expect he'll sign with the Suns but bet he's buried on the bench come playoff time if Thomas and Amare are back. He probably has a better shot at getting playoff minutes matching up as a long three with the Spurs but doubt he sees that.

TDMVPDPOY
03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
The only reason i see suns signin thomas is that AHARE is not ready for playoffs.

SirChaz
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Tim Thomas will have his best chance to re-establish some value for a contract next year by playing for the Suns with Nash.

There is no guarantee he will even see the floor with the Spurs.

With the Suns injuries he will get a chance to play.

Word in Phoenix is TT has agreed to terms with the Suns and will sign on Friday.

last_train
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
it's all about defending the post-ups of 6-8 or 6-9 small forwards like rashard lewis and boris diaw when bruce bowen is on the best outside player but i believe that finley is capable of doing this job