PDA

View Full Version : Even the Troops don't support the war in Iraq

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
U.S. Troops in Iraq: 72% Say End War in 2006

Le Moyne College/Zogby Poll shows just one in five troops want to heed Bush call to stay “as long as they are needed”
While 58% say mission is clear, 42% say U.S. role is hazy
Plurality believes Iraqi insurgents are mostly homegrown
Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam’s role in 9/11, most don’t blame Iraqi public for insurgent attacks
Majority of troops oppose use of harsh prisoner interrogation
Plurality of troops pleased with their armor and equipment
An overwhelming majority of 72% of American troops serving in Iraq think the U.S. should exit the country within the next year, and nearly one in four say the troops should leave immediately, a new Le Moyne College/Zogby International survey shows.

The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, showed that 29% of the respondents, serving in various branches of the armed forces, said the U.S. should leave Iraq “immediately,” while another 22% said they should leave in the next six months. Another 21% said troops should be out between six and 12 months, while 23% said they should stay “as long as they are needed.”

Different branches had quite different sentiments on the question, the poll shows. While 89% of reserves and 82% of those in the National Guard said the U.S. should leave Iraq within a year, 58% of Marines think so. Seven in ten of those in the regular Army thought the U.S. should leave Iraq in the next year. Moreover, about three-quarters of those in National Guard and Reserve units favor withdrawal within six months, just 15% of Marines felt that way. About half of those in the regular Army favored withdrawal from Iraq in the next six months.

full article: http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1075

Nbadan
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
fucken traitors!

:lol

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Bull Crap once again. From our friends from the left.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
I've never seen anyone put Zogby on the left.
The survey included 944 military respondents interviewed at several undisclosed locations throughout Iraq. The names of the specific locations and specific personnel who conducted the survey are being withheld for security purposes. Surveys were conducted face-to-face using random sampling techniques. The margin of error for the survey, conducted Jan. 18 through Feb. 14, 2006, is +/- 3.3 percentage points.Why do you hate our troops, xray?

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I hate everyone, and I am biggot. Don't you read the post in this forum. Hell let
me take a poll and I will get the results I want. You know like CBS and NYT.
Polls are junk reporting.

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
XRay is in rare form

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I am not in a good mood. So what! I do get tired of people trying to paint
this country as some kind of abnormal place. They want all the perks but don't
want to pay all the fees. By that I don't mean taxes. I mean they have to have
the backbone to support the country. Not their damn agenda. So there!

Vashner
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Troops are not the ones that make decisions. You don't let a soldier "choose" .. this is no fucking boy scout troop. They follow orders. They SWORE to follow orders of the Commander.. FUCKING PERIOD.

Most of the people joining that ask for infantry WANT TO and EXPECT to get deployed into combat zone. This poll is fucking stupid.. saying they should leave next year is not a NO support of war. Thats just a question? "do you think we should leave by next year" yea..

BIG FUCKING DEAL.. that's not like some revolution...

Stupid fucking poll... another pile of liberal coward bullshit that wants to just
have us leave without a successfull mission.

Fuck yall pussies.

ChumpDumper
02-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Wow, you guys realy hate our troops.

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Another quality post by Vashner

Melmart1
02-28-2006, 04:28 PM
So.. what happened to "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS"... only if they agree with the President?

boutons_
02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
"Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam’s role in 9/11"

The poor motherfuckers are still deluded by the dubya/dickhead lies, as well as having their lifes, bodies, and minds wasted for dubya/dickhead's bogus Repug war.

Impeach dubya and dickhead NOW!

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 04:35 PM
This thing really is turning into another Vietnam

Vashner
02-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Another quality post by Vashner

On behalf of the US Military. Fuck all you liberal pussies.

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
On behalf of the US Military. Fuck all you liberal pussies.

Very persuasive argument. Bravo.

Nbadan
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Why don't the troops support the troops?

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
What a bunch of crap from all our libs in this forum. Run a poll and that is
the truth. How bout you support the country and not your damn agenda. How
bout that? Bash Bush, except like all your thinking. He isn't running again,
is he, dummies?

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow,

Why are all these soft conservatives that won't go fight this war, against our troops now? How unpatriotic.

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:12 PM
^^Go back under your bridge and ask for more money to support you no good
bums.......

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
^^Go back under your bridge and ask for more money to support you no good
bums.......
Can anyone please tell me why Xray always posts things that don't change anything? Because he has yet to give me an answer.

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Sam as you dummy. I have an opinion and you darn sure going to change it.

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Xray forgot to take his HPB medicine today

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Sam as you dummy. I have an opinion and you darn sure going to change it.
All you ever have to say is for me to go under a bridge.
I could tell you the sky is blue and you'd say the same thing.

:lol

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:22 PM
^^nope you are wrong. But you never see the blue sky, only the dark clouds over
the horizon. You live in the world where all people who have anything only got it
by taking it from someone else. But what is different. You wont agree with this
statement either. I post, you disagree and say the same old junk. You live your life
and I sure will live mine.

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:25 PM
The sufferring of others is your blue sky.

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:32 PM
If they bring it upon themselves, yes. I, you or the government can't solve all
problems. Sometimes, people themselves have to solve their own problems.
That is a fact. Like it or not.

Mr. Peabody
02-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Those troops obvioulsy don't understand the sacrifices that have to be made in order to spread freedom.

Mr. Peabody
02-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Sometimes, people themselves have to solve their own problems. That is a fact. Like it or not.

Are you referring to the occupation of Iraq or to the situation of the homeless?

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Those troops obvioulsy don't understand the sacrifices that have to be made in order to spread freedom.

What a dumb statement from someone who is suppose to be educated.
Believe me most troops are well aware of what they are fighting for. More
so than people like you. You sarcasm is just that and demeaning to those
that are doing the fighting.

Murphy
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
hmmm, so back in World War II all the troops wanted to stay in Europe and Japan, never ever thinking about when they are going to return home?

Mr. Peabody
02-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Believe me most troops are well aware of what they are fighting for.

That's probably the reason they want to withdraw.

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:40 PM
^^If I remember correctly, course I am old, their tour of duty and enlistment was
for what they called: "the duration". Course I could be wrong, but don't think so.
And from my years in the service, the old saying was, a bitching GI was a happy
GI, course I never did any.... :lol

SA210
Are you referring to the occupation of Iraq or to the situation of the homeless?
:lmao

boutons_

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
That's probably the reason they want to withdraw.

Your opinion not mine.

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
What a dumb statement from someone who is suppose to be educated.
Believe me most troops are well aware of what they are fighting for. More
so than people like you. You sarcasm is just that and demeaning to those
that are doing the fighting.
You're the one that's against 70% of the troops.

boutons_
02-28-2006, 05:43 PM
The Repugs have accomplished their objectives, which don't include finishing the jobs in Afganistan and Iraq.

=====================================

Report Offers Gloomy View of Insurgencies

Escalation of Violence in Iraq, Afghanistan Cited

By William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 28, 2006; 4:00 PM

The Defense Intelligence Agency today presented a relatively gloomy assessment of the insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan, reporting that recent Iraqi elections appear to have contributed to rising sectarian violence and that Afghan insurgents have sharply escalated their attacks.

In written and oral testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Army Lt. Gen. Michael D. Maples, the DIA director, described the insurgencies in the two countries as remarkably resilient as they battle U.S.-backed governments and the military forces of U.S.-led coalitions.

Also testifying before the committee was John D. Negroponte, the director of national intelligence, who delivered a somewhat more nuanced threat assessment in which he stressed some "encouraging developments" in Iraq in addition to continuing "challenges" from insurgents. Negroponte gave essentially the same written report earlier this month to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Although al-Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri are "relatively isolated" and under pressure, they are trying to "maintain a level of control over strategic plans such as the war in Iraq and another major attack against the U.S. homeland," Maples said in his written testimony. They also are pursuing a "decentralized track" by encouraging terrorist attacks by like-minded people.

In Iraq, Jordanian terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has collaborated with "disparate Sunni extremist groups, formalizing ties with some," Maples said. "He has increasingly attracted Iraqis into his organization, replacing foreign fighters with Iraqi nationals" in many of the leadership positions in his group, al-Qaeda in Iraq.

Although foreign terrorists make up a relatively small share of the overall insurgency in Iraq, they have a disproportionate impact psychologically because of their "spectacular attacks," Maples wrote.

"While responsible for less than 5 percent of the overall violence in Iraq, foreign terrorists are responsible for over 90 of suicide bombings," he said.

Dissatisfaction with the foreign fighters and their tactics appears to have grown since last year among Iraqi tribal and local insurgents, but this tension "is localized and has not disrupted the overall strength of the insurgency," the report said. Leaders of Iraq's Sunni Muslim Arab minority, the main support base of the insurgency, "hold no influence over foreign terrorists such as al-Qaeda in Iraq," it said.

The group remains resilient even though coalition forces have dealt it "serious blows, killing and capturing several of al-Zarqawi's closest associates, constricting the flow of personnel, money and material in and out of the country and degrading their operations," Maples said.

"Reporting indicates sectarian violence is increasing," although the trend is hard to quantify, he said. "The elections appear to have heightened tension and polarized sectarian divides." He referred to voting in December for a new permanent parliament under the country's recently ratified constitution. A new government has yet to be formed as a result of the elections because of persistent squabbling among Iraqi factions.

Maples said that "the perception of sectarian violence is increasing" in both Sunni areas and those dominated by the Shiite Muslim majority, and that "we continue to see a rise" in attacks led by al Qaeda in Iraq against Shiites and their religious shrines.

The bombing last week of a Shiite shrine in Samarra north of Baghdad set off the latest wave of sectarian violence. No one has claimed responsibility for that attack, but Zarqawi, a radical Sunni, is known to distain Shiites not only as collaborators with the Americans but as religious heretics.

"With over a million Sunni Arab military-aged males in Iraq, insurgents have little difficulty mobilizing enough fighters and support to sustain current levels of violence," Maples said. Moreover, "many elements" of the Iraqi security forces "are loyal to sectarian and party interests," and some have been infiltrated by insurgents, he said.

"Nationwide opposition to Coalition presence persists," he wrote. "Most Iraqis consider those who perpetrate violence against civilians to be 'criminals' or 'terrorists,' but those who attack the Coalition as 'patriots.' "

Even the increasing Sunni participation in politics has a downside, and it remains unclear how much insurgent violence will drop as a result. "Even moderate Sunni Arab leaders see violence as a complement to their political platforms and are pursuing a 'dual track' policy of political engagement and armed resistance," Maples wrote.

More broadly "Iraq appears to be emerging as an al-Qaeda platform for launching transnational terrorist attacks," he said, citing hotel bombings in neighboring Jordan in November and a rocket attack last August that targeted U.S. Navy ships visiting that country.

In Afghanistan, Maples said, the ousted Taliban movement and other militants increasingly are adopting al-Qaeda tactics.

Although the Afghan government has made progress in disarming private militias, "the Taliban-dominated insurgency remains a capable and resilient threat," he said. Last year, the Taliban and other groups increased their attacks by 20 percent from 2004, stepped up suicide bombings almost four-fold, more than doubled attacks using roadside bombs and "increasingly used beheadings to terrorize the local population," Maples said.

Insurgents "now represent a greater threat to the expansion of Afghan government authority than at any point since late 2001," when U.S.-backed Afghan forces and devastating American airstrikes drove the Taliban from power, Maples said. He predicted that the Taliban "will be active this spring."

Adding to the threat in Afghanistan is a "thriving narcotics trade" that not only has enriched Afghan warlords, militia commanders and corrupt government officials, but also has "enabled the insurgency to operate in regions of southern and northeastern Afghanistan."

Negroponte said in his own testimony that "the threat from extremism and anti-Western militancy is especially acute in Iraq and Afghanistan." But he said there were also positive developments in Iraq, noting that insurgents "have not been able to establish any lasting territorial control" and were unable to disrupt the elections. Nor have they been able to attract broad popular support or coordinate nationwide operations, Negroponte said.

The veteran diplomat also said that Iraqi security forces are "making incremental progress toward operational independence" and that conflicts between Sunni extremist and nationalist insurgents are "encouraging and exploitable." He added that "large-scale Sunni participation in the last elections has provided a first step toward diminishing Sunni support for the insurgency."

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
You're the one that's against 70% of the troops.

Hey, I was one of the troops for over twenty years. What is your
claim to fame.

SA210
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Hey, I was one of the troops for over twenty years. What is your
claim to fame.
you fought in Iraq?

xrayzebra
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
No I flew twenty missions over Piccadilly....now you figure that out.

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Baby killer!!!

MannyIsGod
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
This thread is amazing.

Its a shame, but we have fallen square on our faces in Iraq.

SA210
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
March 1st, 2006 3:10 pm

Poll of troops in Iraq sees 72% support for withdrawal within a year

By Leo Shane III / Stars and Stripes (http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=35385)

WASHINGTON — Seventy-two percent of troops on the ground in Iraq think U.S. military forces should get out of the country within a year, according to a Zogby poll released Tuesday.

The survey of 944 troops, conducted in Iraq between Jan. 18 and Feb. 14, said that only 23 percent of servicemembers thought U.S. forces should stay “as long as they are needed.”

Of the 72 percent, 22 percent said troops should leave within the next six months, and 29 percent said they should withdraw “immediately.” Twenty-one percent said the U.S. military presence should end within a year; 5 percent weren’t sure.

But policy experts differ on exactly what those numbers mean.

Justin Logan, a foreign policy analyst for the Cato Institute, called the figure alarming, and a sign that the Bush administration and troops in Iraq see the goals and the progress of the war very differently.

The president has opposed any plans for a withdrawal date, saying troops will remain until Iraq’s security is assured. Logan sees so many troops wanting a clear time line as showing “an alarming disconnect” between the policy and its implementation.

But Loren Thompson, a military analyst with the Lexington Institute, said troops who say the U.S. should withdraw could be concerned for their own safety, or they could be optimistic about progress so far, or they could simply be opposed to the idea of operations in Iraq.

“You have to pick apart each servicemember’s thought process to understand what that means,” he said. “I think this is about personal circumstances, and not proof there is a higher rate of troops who desire departure.”

Defense Department officials declined to comment on the poll, saying they did not have details on how the survey was conducted.

John Zogby, CEO of the polling company, said the poll was funded through Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, which received money for the project from an anonymous, anti-war activist, but neither the activist nor the school had input on the content of the poll.

Zogby said the survey was conducted face-to-face throughout Iraq, with permission from commanders. Despite the difficulty of polling in a war zone, he said, pollsters were pleased with the results.

“This is a credible and representative look at what the troops are saying,” he said. “Clearly there are those [in the U.S.] who will speak for the troops, so there is a real value in seeing what they are actually saying.”

The poll also shows that 42 percent of the troops surveyed are unsure of their mission in Iraq, and that 85 percent believe a major reason they were sent into war was “to retaliate for Saddam’s role in the Sept. 11 attacks.” Ninety-three percent said finding and destroying weapons of mass destruction is not a reason for the ongoing military action.

“We were surprised by that, especially the 85 percent [figure],” Zogby said. “Clearly that is much higher than the consensus among the American public, and the public’s perception [on that topic] is much higher than the actual reality of the situation.”

In terms of current operations, 80 percent of those polled said they did not hold a negative view of all Iraqis because of the ongoing attacks against coalition military forces.

More than 43 percent of those polled said their equipment, such as Humvees, body armor and munitions, is adequate for the jobs facing them, while 30 percent said it is not.

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C. and chairman of the Victory in Iraq Caucus, a group of 118 Republican lawmakers, said the poll does not diminish his opinion of the importance of the armed forces role in Iraq.

“Whatever the percentages are, I know 100 percent of our troops want to complete their mission over there,” he said. “My view is, whatever the poll results say, the bottom line is these are troops who will continue their mission, because they would rather fight the enemy overseas than at home.” Of those surveyed, 75 percent have served multiple tours in Iraq, 63 percent were under 30 years old, and 75 percent were male.

RandomGuy
03-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Bull Crap once again. From our friends from the left.

I have seen and heard very similar sentiments from troops who have been there.

The basic gist of it goes like this:

"These people don't want us there, and my buddies are dying for nothing".

These guys are not some nebulous "left". They are, however, very uncomfortable facts for the Bush cheerleaders.

Give it ten years and I truly believe that even the die hards will see Iraq for what it truly is:

The most poorly-planned and poorly-excuted political blunder that the US has made since Vietnam.

I don't doubt the veracity of those numbers because they jibe with the first hand accounts I have seen. Some think it's a good idea, but an increasing number are really beginning to doubt that it will succeed in its stated objective.

JoeChalupa
03-02-2006, 08:29 AM
If anyone thinks that everyone in the Military loves Bush they are sadly mistaken.

boutons_
03-04-2006, 03:00 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/wpswi/2006/wpswi060303.gif

RandomGuy
03-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Direct quote from a returning soldier:

"We have been on over 2,000 missions and haven't accomplished anything."

Some of the optimists point out that we gave them elections.

This guy responded to that by saying he didn't notice one iota of difference in the glares after the election from the glares before the election.

The Iraqis don't really want us there, and this is becoming more apparent as time goes by.

exstatic
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Sometimes, people themselves have to solve their own problems.

IRAQ.

SA210
03-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Sometimes, people themselves have to solve their own problems.

Xray owned himself.
:lmao

xrayzebra
03-06-2006, 10:12 AM
^^How long did it take us to achieve our freedoms? More than a few years.