PDA

View Full Version : Signs of SPAM

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 02:28 PM
The media is back to ripping the Spurs:

Deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you know the truth. You know that for as much as you are supposed to appreciate the selfless, successful play of the San Antonio Spurs, as much as you are supposed to laud Tim Duncan as the best player in the league, this team is absolutely killing the popularity of the game. Can you ever remember a time when you had to get home to catch the Spurs game? Sorry, but Duncan banking in jumpers from 15 feet or Bruce Bowen draping himself over Vince Carter like an octopus doesn't get our blood flowing. But that's the Spurs' plan -- to play fundamentally sound ball on offense and make the game ugly on defense. And no one does fundamental better, more consistently, than the Spurs. And why not? That plan has won three titles in five seasons. But it's also a lot like eating dry, white toast. It gets the job done, but, man, is it dull.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/paul_forrester/02/28/progress.reports3/index.html)

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
A picture of the genius scribe in question:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/img/2.0/story/writers/new/topper_forrester_in_nba.jpg

thispego
02-28-2006, 02:33 PM
he most be another one of those highly achieving autistics

spursfaninla
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Idiot. Doesn't bother watching games.

Has no idea how Parker got on the All-Star team other than his girlfriend.

Watches highlights.

nuff said.

Peter
02-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Sure, it's dull when it's guys like Mario Elie or Jerome Kersey feeding the post and the team is posting up on every possession. Problem is, that hasn't been the case for the last few seasons.

Dude needs to spring for a TV.

Spurminator
02-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, he evened it out by giving the Spurs an extra Championship between 2001 and 2005... Fair trade?

Peter
02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I mean, if we want to talk about deep dark feelings about the Spurs, I'd go with the notion that the frontline is not strong enough to beat the Pistons in a 7 game series again.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-28-2006, 02:41 PM
All you need to know about this ass clown is gives the Spurs an "A" while he bemoans the fact that they are poised to make a serious run at a repeat. Meanwhile he gives the Mavs an "A+" while expressing misgivings about Dirk's D (he said it smelled like anothre pre-June exit) and using the word "maybe" half a dozen times when describing their chances.

Shouldn't being "Inside the NBA" give him at least some sense of appreciation at the level of play the Spurs have been able to bring in winning three titles with a rotating supporting cast? Do journalists even watch the games they write about any more or do they just watch Sportscenter and figure that the best teams are the ones that get the most hype? Loser.

TheTruth
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Dude, doesn't even know how to add..

Peter
02-28-2006, 02:45 PM
The thing that's really odd is his writeup about the Pistons:

Detroit Pistons
The league has Larry Brown to thank for the can of whoop-ass the Pistons have opened up on the NBA this season. As if the Pistons weren't a formidable enough bunch already, Brown engineers his way out and gives the Eastern champs motivation: 1) to prove that he was almost superfluous to their success 2)that his controlling nature chained their offensive talent and 3) that any man would be a fool to leave the two-time defending Eastern Conference champs to take over the dysfunctional Knicks. Think a 46-9 start to the season has Brown rethinking his maneuvers of last June? The Pistons have the look of those well-oiled Bulls and Lakers (modern edition) teams that often toyed with opponents, as if they need to create a challenge to overcome.

It's not like they are that exciting to watch. He praises them for being predictably good and efficient, yet pans the Spurs for the same thing. What a hoser.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2006, 02:48 PM
SI gave Rowan Atkinson a column?

Damn, everyone is getting a chance to offer NBA opinion these days.

thispego
02-28-2006, 02:56 PM
LOL, he does look like mr bean

rayray2k8
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I read all of his post on teams mostly on the A's like dallas and detriot. Not all of them are correct, but here are some i thought i'd point out.

On the pistons.
Brown engineers his way out and gives the Eastern champs motivation: 1) to prove that he was almost superfluous to their success 2)that his controlling nature chained their offensive talent and 3) that any man would be a fool to leave the two-time defending Eastern Conference champs to take over the dysfunctional Knicks.
I really dont see where he says the pistons are exciting, i believe he's going by record wise to the comparison to the lakers and bulls. He was ripping on Larry Brown and the bone head move he made going to the knicks.

ON DALLAS
Haven't we seen and heard this before? The Mavericks, tired of getting shoved out of the playoffs when their "first to 120 points wins" philosophy eventually grinds to a halt against a better defensive team, finally make a commitment to defense and are hailed as legitimate Finals contenders. And indeed, the Mavs have one of the league's top 10 defenses. But when your best player defends opponents with a matador's cape instead of quick footwork, well, that smells like another pre-June exit. But maybe the Li'l General will surprise us. Maybe the Mavs really are devoting their efforts to stopping other teams from scoring. Maybe this team has what it takes to get to the Finals. Maybe -- whoa -- see how easy it is to envision the Mavericks as an NBA champ, and we didn't even get an angry e-mail from Mark Cuban.

You guys act like he was only ripping on the spurs. Ya'll should be used to this and expect this from a typical journalist.
Don't let it get to you so easliy, you guys cry foul when someone says something bad about the spurs. For this man's case, he called them dull..
NOT EVERYONE IS A SPURS FAN!!

He even said it himself
But that's the Spurs' plan -- to play fundamentally sound ball on offense and make the game ugly on defense. And no one does fundamental better, more consistently, than the Spurs. And why not? That plan has won three titles in five seasons
you're only paying attention to this
But it's also a lot like eating dry, white toast. It gets the job done, but, man, is it dull.
Who gives a shit what he says????
the spurs dont!! So why care now? :rolleyes
Plus he gave them an "A"!! I bet you had he given them and "A+" people would still find a way to complain.
RELAX! :spin

easjer
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Dumbass.

Nothing work making it home for? Not the gracefulness of Duncan's bank shots, or the speed and ingenuity of Parker and Ginobli driving inside, not the steals or the blocks or the amazing shots. Not Bowen's smothering defense or dead-on threes. Nothing exciting about sound basketball or nice execution and no showboating after a good play. Nope, nothing to see there.

That is what is so annoying about the national media and casual basketball fan. I like the Suns a lot. It's fun to watch them play. For about five minutes. It's all so predictable. High scoring perhaps, but predictable in a way that the Spurs are never predictable. The Spurs can play in a variety of ways, in a variety of tempos. They have a variety of weapons at their disposal, whereas the Suns are generally the same - a three point attempt or Nash kicking inside to whoever is under the basket.

But the Spurs are boring.

It's highly annoying to see national media who cannot appreciate the beauty and gracefulness that are the standard of Spurs play.

Melmart1
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
LOL, he does look like mr bean

Mr. Bean is way smarter than this guy. That is an insult.

Three in five? Guy is just pulling stats out of his ass. But we have seen this before, it shouldnt surprise well-informed Spurs fans.

And any NBA 'fan' worth their salt should know the Spurs have not been boring for awhile. Hell, Manu alone should be enough to entertain the flash-loving drones. Not to imply that Manu is flashy (lest I incur the wrath of his Church), but he makes flashy plays sometimes.