PDA

View Full Version : A.I. not invited to play for team USA

ABDENOUR POWER
02-28-2006, 03:08 PM
:wow

Sources: A.I. not invited to play for USA
By PHIL JASNER
[email protected]
DALLAS - Allen Iverson was, in many ways, the face of the U.S. Olympic basketball team in 2004. He wanted to be there. He played hard, and he played well. Now, he's not even in the picture for the 2008 Games in Beijing.

Contracts from the U.S. Olympic Committee to 22 NBA players, two college players and one high school player went out in the mail about 10 days ago. Two sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed that Iverson, a four-time scoring champion in his 10th season with the 76ers, was not in that group.

Before last night's game against the Dallas Mavericks, Iverson said he had not personally received notice, but that he was aware of the situation.

His response?

"Thanks for considering me," he said. "Now, I get to spend time with my kids in the summer."

Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said, "That comes as a surprise to me."

One source confirmed that Iverson, who had said he very much wanted to be part of the 2008 team, was on a list of players who had made a commitment to Jerry Colangelo, the managing director for USA Basketball's senior men's team, but received a letter thanking them for their interest.

Iverson had met with Colangelo on Jan. 4, when the Sixers were in Phoenix. Afterward, Colangelo told reporters, "I liked the look in his eye. He looked me right in the eye and said it really would be an honor for him."

Iverson was easily the MVP of the U.S. team that won the 2003 World Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and was far and away the most popular U.S. player. The Americans, though, had to settle for a third-place finish in the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

"I had a good experience in 2004, but we won the bronze," Iverson said in Phoenix. "I really want to win a gold medal."

Some of the younger players who made commitments but were not selected will be kept in the USA Basketball pipeline as prospective candidates for the 2012 Olympics, and could become part of a Select team that would spend time training together.

"We tried to make the letters as appreciative and professional as possible," one of the sources said. "The idea was to try and bring people down softly."

Colangelo and U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski, of Duke, will formally announce the 25 invitees on Sunday on ABC. An eventual team of 12 players will participate in the world championships this summer in Japan. If the U.S. team does not qualify for the 2008 Olympics there, it would have another opportunity in the 2007 Pre-Olympic Tournament.

With the world championships expanded from 16 to 24 teams, the United States has been placed in a preliminary round group with Puerto Rico, Slovenia, Italy, China and Senegal. The Americans will open Aug. 19 against Puerto Rico, the team that stunned the Americans, 92-73, in the opener of the 2004 Olympics.

Marklar MM
02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
B-B-B-Billups

ABDENOUR POWER
02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I know what they are thinking, but damn. It is a GUTSY move to leave off the guy who has been your only good player.

Marklar MM
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I know what they are thinking, but damn. It is a GUTSY move to leave off the guy who has been your only good player.

Probably gonna have Billups/Wade as point guards.

lilmads
02-28-2006, 04:18 PM
That's crazy. He deserves it. He's proven it.

timvp
02-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I think AI should be on that team. He's one of the few players who acts like he wants to be there during international competition.

Pero
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
This is a surprise, the US team loses a lot IMO.

Iverson was easily the MVP of the U.S. team that won the 2003 World Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and was far and away the most popular U.S. player.

WTF?!?!?

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 04:51 PM
That sucks. Dumb move.

Sec24Row7
02-28-2006, 06:05 PM
He got jobbed.

ducks
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
that is a shame

glad pop is not the coach
ai was the mvp last time
dude should be there

T.F. Storm
02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow, this is crazy.

Pero
02-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I don`t get it. MVP of what? Was a world championship played in secret or what?!?!?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I don`t get it. MVP of what? Was a world championship played in secret or what?!?!?

That should be the Americas Tournament, which gives qualification spots for the Olympics.

ducks
02-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I wonder if this was the coaches preference

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
The more I think about this, the more pissed I get. AI is not one of my favorite players, but you can't deny his greatness or his commitment to the team. Why the fuck do players who flipped off the team last time *cough*Kobe*cough* get a free pass in now?

Marklar MM
02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
The more I think about this, the more pissed I get. AI is not one of my favorite players, but you can't deny his greatness or his commitment to the team. Why the fuck do players who flipped off the team last time *cough*Kobe*cough* get a free pass in now?

Not like he really had a choice...he was off committing adultery.

1Parker1
02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
:wow That is complete bullshit. I think AI knows he's probably never going to get a ring with the Sixers. His next best shot was a gold medal in the Olympics. I can understand the committee wants a 4 year committment from players and that AI would be about 35 by that time, but honestly...Have they seen the little guy play basketball???????? He's having one of his best seasons ever at the age of 30.

That's weak, you should at least let the former co-captain join out of respect to him. Especially considering the fact that he actually wanted to be on the team.

hussker
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
So, Three Cares

boutons_
02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I bet some reaction to his exclusion might get him invited later.

As was said, he's got the talent and the desire, so why not?

Medvedenko
02-28-2006, 09:10 PM
I would leave him off as well...
They are building a more balanced squad, hence asking Bruce Bowen to play.
It's not about the best players anymore, plus they will have plenty of scoring with Kobe.

ALVAREZ6
02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
That is fucking bullshit.

USA basketball sucks fucking cock.

mavsfan1000
02-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I know other people are big supporters but he is not fit to be a role player and there are better superstars than him. Smart move by USA not to have an all-star team but players that actually fit.

1Parker1
02-28-2006, 10:26 PM
I know other people are big supporters but he is not fit to be a role player and there are better superstars than him. Smart move by USA not to have an all-star team but players that actually fit.

Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, etc are now all "roll players?"

ABDENOUR POWER
02-28-2006, 11:10 PM
AI deserved to be on the team, flat out. This is bullshit.

Quasar
02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't like AI as a a player, but he should definitely have been rewarded with a spot, if only because of his commitment. They have no grounds rejecting him - he definitely has the ability and balls to play there.

mavsfan1000
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, etc are now all "roll players?"
Hey they got Josh Howard. Definitely a great role player for Dallas.

aaronstampler
03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
This is totally unfair to AI. They act like he is the poster boy for everything that went wrong on the '04 team. The reason they lost is because Larry Brown doesn't take foreign players seriously and he just assumed that USA could roll over everyone with their athleticsm. Plus, he didn't let Amare or Wade play. AI was not the problem though.

AI has really matured in the past few seasons, if you ask me. He doesn't do or say anything controversial anymore. His only "crime" is being surrounded by terrible players and not playing good defense anymore, and if that's a crime, well then Wade, LeBron, and Kobe are all guilty too. The only rap sheet on AI now is the cornrows and the 35 tattoos, and I guess USA basketball doesn't want that. What USA should concern themselves with is only two things, "Does the guy want to be here, and does he want to win?"

As long as Team USA makes dumb decisions like this, Manu & co are still the favorites.

JMarkJohns
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Far be it from me to criticize Jerry Colangelo, but.

I see a pattern.

No Artest. I'm fine with it.
No Martin. I'm fine with it.
No Rasheed. Mistake.
No Iverson. Mistake.

Let's see, what do these players all have in common with each other that separates them from all the selected players (save for Kobe)?

Heavily tatted African-American players with a questionable image and a questioned attitude need not apply, apparently.

Don't give me that the others didn't belong, either.

Martin has competed in International competition before.
Rasheed's skills are a perfect match for FIBA.
Artest is arguably the best perimeter defender in the game.
Like Martin, Iverson is a veteran of the International scene and is a top-10 player in the League.

All have arguments as to why they should be on the team.

None made the team.

Meanwhile, Battier, Howard, Lewis, etc... were all invited.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Hey whose job it is to make sure Carlos Arrojo doesn't go off? It wasn't Iverson's offense that was the problem. The defense has been questionable at times. Also Wade and Billups are both younger. I have no problem with this decision. Artest could cause some problems though I think he has changed. Battier is a great role player to have. This team is trying to mix stars with star role players.

JMarkJohns
03-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't have a problem with trying to mix role-players with stars. Honestly, I don't have a problem with any of the invites. But give me a break. Iverson, along with Marion, hwere the two best players America had in Athens. He had a great attitide and only ever wants to win. You make an exception for him.

1Parker1
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Tonight against the Rockets:
AI: 40 points, 10 assists, 7 rebounds, 2 steals.

:shootme, What were they thinking?

AI-square
03-01-2006, 11:51 PM

I think 16-29 from the field is an important stat as well. At least people would know he didn't throw up 40 shots just to score as much as possible.

1Parker1
03-01-2006, 11:58 PM
**Sigh the point still remains. Guess I'm just being a bitter homer :)

ShoogarBear
03-02-2006, 12:11 AM

:shootme, What were they thinking?I bet I know what AI was thinking.

T-Pain
03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm a little pissed because AI is not invited. He was 100% committed to play for the US for the longest time, and he wasnt even invited. I think he deserves to play on the team, in fact, i think hes a starter.

nkdlunch
03-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm shocked so many ppl are mad and surprised at this. He doesn't like to pass the ball, and he doesn't like to sit on the bench. He had his chance and it was not his fault but failed. He did behave last olympics but his nature just doesn't fit a national team. It's so obvious.

Joepa
03-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm shocked so many ppl are mad and surprised at this. He doesn't like to pass the ball, and he doesn't like to sit on the bench. He had his chance and it was not his fault but failed. He did behave last olympics but his nature just doesn't fit a national team. It's so obvious.

Dude is averaging 7.4 assists per game this year, more than double anyone else on his team.

I think he has a good attitude, excellent all around skills (except for defense which he stopped playing 2 years ago,) and a desire to win. This was a mistake...AI should be there.

Think about it - the guy has matured and has stayed out of trouble for several years now. I guess he's still paying for the rep that he earned as a younger player.

nkdlunch
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Think about it - the guy has matured and has stayed out of trouble for several years now. I guess he's still paying for the rep that he earned as a younger player.

nope, he didn't get picked 'cause his style of play don't fit what Team USA wants, simple as that.

1Parker1
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
nope, he didn't get picked 'cause his style of play don't fit what Team USA wants, simple as that.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. So you're trying to tell me Kobe, Arenas, etc. are not ball hogs? What's so different about AI's style of play than theirs?

nkdlunch
03-02-2006, 12:49 PM
That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. So you're trying to tell me Kobe, Arenas, etc. are not ball hogs? What's so different about AI's style of play than theirs?

No I'm not trying to tell u that, u're telling urself that. I didn't mention Kobe, arenas ,etc. I'm only talking about AI.

that's a good point u bring up though. maybe they think Kobe has to be invited 'cause the whole country would bitch at the organizers and Arenas, maybe they think he can adjust his game. who knows but this thread is about AI

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
That is complete bullshit.

Team USA should let ANY NBA American player to try out for the team. Whoever shows that they want to be there the most gets a place on the team.

AI was the player that wanted it the most in Athens 2004, and he played pretty good. He isn't afraid to represent his country, he takes pride in it and wants to have the USA across his chest.

Horry For 3!
03-02-2006, 01:24 PM

He also hit the big shot to close the deal on the Rockets.

Brutalis
03-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey... go bring up AI's stats in the Olympics..

nkdlunch
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM

27.0min 1.6rb 2.5ass 13.8pts

ALVAREZ6
03-02-2006, 03:34 PM
It's the Olympics, and with all the talent team USA had, not every player will fill the stat sheet every game. The scoring is spread out pretty evenly.

In International competition, it doesn't matter whether you fill out the stat sheet like you try to in the NBA. There is no MVP. The only thing that matters is that your country wins.

1Parker1
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM

Hey...go bring up Tim Duncan's stats in the Olympics..

:rolleyes