PDA

View Full Version : Mercer, Good D?!?

pacersrule03
09-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Solid D
I just like Mercer's athletic ability and mid-range game. Plus, he's strong with the ball and can shoot on the move. Not everyone can do that. He is not charismatic ... not much on personality from what I understand. The Spurs can blend all kinds, though, as long as they are not trouble-makers. His defensive effort will tell the tale.

I don't know about you guys but i'm sick of this talk about Mercer and how great of a defender he is and he's ruthless, and he can shoot on the move. That's total bullshit, i never saw him do any of this stuff in Indy. The spurs fans are just trying to find something good out of this guy and it's making me sick. Mercer is nothing but a traveling suitcase.

KoriEllis
09-17-2003, 04:11 AM
You are right.

Mercer sucks on D. He's a good athlete. But I can't see him getting much playing time on the Spurs unless his defense makes a complete turnaround.

Pop preaches defense first. That's why -- though the Spurs look deep at the wing spots on paper with Manu, Bowen, Hedo, Mercer, Brown -- I don't really think they are all that deep. Because outside Bowen and Manu, the rest are sub par defenders.

Hopefully for the Spurs, both Hedo and Mercer will step up their games on both ends of the court.

Pooh
09-17-2003, 06:09 PM
I think his days as a Spur are number, he won't be there too long, once Pop takes a real good look at him.

pacers4ever
09-17-2003, 07:22 PM
While his defensive abilities can be questioned, his offensive game is very good. Problem with the pacers is that he never really settled down in the rotation. I think he's the kind of player who needs quality minutes and the coach's confidence in order to shine. Remember the Playoffs of 2001-2002 ROUND1 against the NETS.. he played great in Game 5.. he was the star!