PDA

View Full Version : bobcats......

ducks
09-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Bobcats get permission to talk to Boston's Wallace; Isiah Thomas
HARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) _ The Charlotte Bobcats have received permission from the Boston Celtics to interview general manager Chris Wallace for the same job with the expansion team.

Wallace is on a short list of about four candidates Charlotte wants to interview for the GM position. One name missing from that group is Isiah Thomas, fired last month as coach of the Indiana Pacers.

``We certainly recognize who he is and his name value,'' Charlotte vice president Ed Tapscott said Monday. ``But I am very confident with the group we've identified.''

The other candidates believed to be on Tapscott's list of potential general managers are Gary Brokaw, former director of player personnel in Orlando, John Hammond, vice president of basketball operations in Detroit, and Bernie Bickerstaff, an in-house candidate who is already general manager of the WNBA's Sting.

Tapscott only got the go-ahead to start looking for a general manager two weeks ago after Michael Jordan decided he did not want to join the Bobcats. Up until then, owner Bob Johnson had been holding out hope that Jordan would come aboard as either a partial owner or team president.

Once he officially declined, Tapscott hit the ground running.

He has already spoken at least once to Brokaw, but has not had a formal interview with him.

Bickerstaff, a former NBA coach who was also general manager in Denver, should have a solid shot at the job but has not formally interviewed.

Tapscott, who said he sent Bickerstaff on a much-needed vacation after the Sting wrapped up their season, already has a solid working relationship with him as they scrambled to begin the WNBA season.

Note: The following stories are the most recent wire transmissions from SportsTicker and other ESPN.com sources. Versions of some of these stories appear elsewhere on the service.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24180216)

pacersrule03
09-16-2003, 05:15 PM
I was wondering if the Bobcats are considering Isiah for the head coach position...? I'd like to see zeke get back on his feet.

Pooh
09-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Maybe that would be the best situation for Isiah to step into. They should've gave him a slot up in Toronto that time but they didn't.