PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Hubris

Peter
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Anyone recall when Cuban was panning the importance of defense to winning in the postseason? I do. Kinda funny now considering that he has one of the two most defensive-minded coaches in the association leading his team.

I guess Marky Mark's 'found religion', as they say.

DMFFL341
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Ever since Avery first played for the Mavericks he kind of took over as the "next big head coach" for the Mavs. I don't know how this happened, but I guess he really liked Dallas and his knowledge of the game and his attitude as a player just set him up for it. But it's great having Avery as head coach cause now this team doesn't give up in games where we seem like we are out of it as under Don Nelson we would just give up and lose. It's been evident extremely recently and all season where we come back from down double digits to win.

Peter
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
It's not the personality, but the philosophy. AJ learned from the master.

DMFFL341
02-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I think it's a little personality. Avery has to be the best in the NBA at motivating people. Speaking on Cuban, he trys to always to do the best for the franchise which he usually does and he's the type of owner you want to have, he is a fan and is willing to spend the big bucks to win some games.

Peter
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
John Lucas could give a pretty good talk too.

But yeah, AJ's a great leader. Something Spurs fans have yet to truly appreciate.

DMFFL341
02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
^ Who is John Lucas? An assistant? Lol. Spurs fans are pretty still bitter that Avery "stabbed them in the back" by going to the Mavs and going to man the ship of the arch rival. I guess they have the right to be mad, I have a deep hate for Nash since he left.

Peter
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
^ Who is John Lucas? An assistant? Lol.

George had a rep for motivating talent and what not.

Spurs fans are pretty still bitter that Avery "stabbed them in the back" by going to the Mavs and going to man the ship of the arch rival. I guess they have the right to be mad, I have a deep hate for Nash since he left.

The problem is, you have to appreciate before you can hate. Spurs fans never understood what AJ brought to the team.