PDA

View Full Version : Spurs, Mavs look ahead to showdown

ducks
02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Spurs, Mavs look ahead to showdown
Spurs, Mavs look ahead to showdown

By the Associated Press
February 28, 2006
The San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks will have a couple days to prepare for their Western Conference showdown.

The Mavericks (45-11) maintained their one-game lead over the Spurs (44-12) after both teams were victorious Monday night. Dallas beat Philadelphia 104-92, and San Antonio routed New York 121-93. Neither teams plays again until they meet Thursday in San Antonio.

"They're coming in trying to establish themselves as a title contender," Michael Finley said of Dallas, where he played for nine seasons before moving south to San Antonio.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We're trying to get to the point where we were last year, so this is a great matchup," he said. "It's a great time for us to let the world know that we're still a team to be reckoned with."

Dallas has won 19 of its last 20 games.

In San Antonio, Finley had 22 points in 22 minutes. Tony Parker added 20 points for the Spurs, who shot a season-best 62.5 percent from the floor. Parker made seven of his nine attempts, and Nick Van Exel went 6-for-8 and finished with 14 points.

Parker also collected 12 assists, four of them coming on passes to Finley.

"Finley was hot, so I was trying to run plays and try to make sure I'd find him," Parker said. "As a point guard, it was great."

In Dallas, Dirk Nowitzki had 32 points and 13 rebounds despite missing most of the third quarter with a sprained ankle, and Jason Terry added 24 points for the Mavericks, who extended their club-record home winning streak to 15 games.

Nowitzki, who also had 13 rebounds, landed on the foot of teammate Adrian Griffin while playing defense early in the second half. But X-rays were negative and Nowitzki was back on the floor to start the fourth quarter. He has scored 30 or more points in three straight games for the Mavericks, who have won six straight.

"It was a lob, I was going for the ball and I landed on Griff's foot," Nowitzki said. "It was a little stiff and I got it re-taped. I felt all right in the fourth quarter."

Oh, Gee!!
02-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I will probably cry if the spurs fuck this up

loveforthegame
03-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Were any of you offended by Fin's comments about the upcoming game? The fact that he used "we" in the getting back to where they were last year?

infinite styles
03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Were any of you offended by Fin's comments about the upcoming game? The fact that he used "we" in the getting back to where they were last year?

No, not really. He is apart of the team and he knows where the team was last year.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2006, 12:48 AM
That explains Finley's performances last year. He was figuring out what would be the easiest route for the Spurs. :lol

loveforthegame
03-01-2006, 12:54 AM
I wasn't offended either but he's being ripped a new one on the Lone Mavs Fan Forum and Dallas-Mavs.com sites because he used we when he wasn't with the team last year. Like he's taking credit for something he wasn't a part of.

I know it's Mavs forums but still.

5ToolMan
03-01-2006, 01:14 AM

WhyTF would any Spurs fan get offended because Finley used "we" to talk about the Spurs getting back to where they were last year? He is a member of the Spurs, and it is is duty to be a part of getting the Spurs back to the rings.

If Pierce says, "we want to get back to playing championship hoops like we did when Bird was here" he is expressing a desire to get his current team on par with the great Celtic champions of the past. This statement honors the past team and does nothing to include himself as a part of the past championship team. Finley honors last years team, saying he wants to get his team (this years Spurs) playing at a championship level like they did. He is taking no ownership in the past, by expressing a desire for the present or future.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2006, 08:27 AM
It sounds funny, but it would sound even funnier if he said "we want to get back to where they were last year".

Pandaemonaeon
03-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Finley's fitting in quite well, I see :lol

GoSpurs21
03-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I wasn't offended either but he's being ripped a new one on the Lone Mavs Fan Forum and Dallas-Mavs.com sites because he used we when he wasn't with the team last year. Like he's taking credit for something he wasn't a part of.

I know it's Mavs forums but still.what else would you expect from a bunch of jr high schoolers...sounds like typical mavs fans to me