PDA

View Full Version : Hartman: Garnett Doesn't Get Calls Like Tim Duncan

Quasar
02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
This guy is crazy... Tim does *not* get calls easily.

The reason KG gets no calls is because he shoots too much and doesn't play in the paint...

Last update: February 27, 2006 – 12:44 AM
Sid Hartman: Garnett doesn't get calls like other stars
Timberwolves star Kevin Garnett's frustration with officiating helped result in his ejection for tossing a ball into the Target Center stands on Sunday.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
For some reason, Kevin Garnett never has received the same type of calls from officials that other NBA superstars have, such as Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitzki.

As a 7-footer, Garnett sees one opposing player after another undercut his legs, but nothing is called. Unlike some NBA crybabies who protest every obvious call, Garnett seldom complains.

Well, his frustration came to a head Sunday when after being called for a questionable fourth foul, he threw the ball into the Target Center stands and hit a fan. The ball was tossed, not thrown hard.

So according to the rules of the NBA, Garnett was ejected with the Wolves leading the Memphis Grizzles 64-61 with 7:47 left in the third quarter.

Garnett was three assists short of his 15th career triple-double when he was ejected. The Wolves held on without him, winning 105-99.

Earlier this season, Seattle forward Rashard Lewis threw a ball into the stands here, but nothing was called.

However, Bob Delaney, one of the officials working Sunday's game, said Garnett was ejected as the rules said he should be.

When Dwane Casey was named Wolves coach last year, he talked about how the scouting report on stopping Garnett was to handle him as physical as possible and hope you don't get any fouls called.

"Kevin is probably one superstar in this league that does not get to the free-throw line," Casey said about a week ago. "I don't want to criticize the officials, but that's something that amazes me, that he get bumped and banged and pushed around, bent over and [it] doesn't get called.

"We have sent tapes into [NBA senior vice president] Stu Jackson and we have gotten e-mails back that they didn't think there was enough contact. Garnett does a good job of playing through it, because he is a mentally tough guy."

Garnett has talked about how he sometimes doesn't get the calls from referees, but he doesn't want to make any issue of it.

What this team needs is a big, strong, tough rebounder who can help Garnett on the boards and protect him.

The beating he takes game after game is something, and apparently officials won't do anything about it.

leemajors
03-01-2006, 12:13 AM
garnett shoots a lot of outside j's to be getting calls. if he drove more, he would get calls.

timvp
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, you aren't going to get many calls when your go-to move in a jumper.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Neither does Dirk. The playoffs last year gave Dirk no breaks while Amare got every call. That is life in the nba.

timvp
03-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Neither does Dirk. The playoffs last year gave Dirk no breaks while Amare got every call. That is life in the nba.

Dirk shoots. Amare takes it to the hole.

The calls follow accordingly.

v2freak
03-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Both he and Duncan take around 6 FTA per game. I don't know what he's complaining about

scott
03-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Does Garnett whine as much as Duncan? Maybe that is it...

ambchang
I suppose that is how Duncan, an inside, low post scorer, attempts an astounding 6.8 FT per game this year, while Garnett attempts a paltry 6.2.

Pinto Bean
Sound like the guy that wrote that has some kind of man-crush on KG

polandprzem
03-01-2006, 05:10 AM
They've got to find and excuse for not being in the playoffs. Any reason is good.

vanvannen
03-01-2006, 08:56 AM
What amazes me the most is that he didn't even bother to check the stats before posting this nonsensical bullshit. What a tool.

LilMissSPURfect
03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Ignorance
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, or a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions. Ignorance is also a "state of being ignorant" or unaware/uninformed

SPURS r used to IG nant reporters!

Marcus Bryant
03-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Since when does Garnett deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Duncan?

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I think they pick on Garnett because he's black.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Maybe KG needs to bring his uzis and the rest of his weapons cache out onto the court every night. I suspect the officials would be more respectful then (of course, I'm not sure how much elevation KG would be able to get on those 18 foot jumpers).

sickdsm
03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Cut the guy some slack, he IS actually senile. He will be 86 years old on the 15th. His son, Wolves radio PbP guy, Chad Hartman, routinely makes fun of the stuff Grandpa Sid publishes. Surprised no one knows Sid's case, he is a national sports icon.

I do agree with the no calls though. The people pointing to the drive/jumpshot aren't even on the same page. We're not coplaining that he should get a call when the turns left shoulder and fades. When he does bang he gets murdured. Its a chicken or the egg question. He doesn't get the calls bc that's not what he's known for and he doen'st bang that much bc he doenst get calls.

You never see a delayed whistle for KG to see if he makes the shot or not like you will on much of the other superstars.

kris
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Garnett is fine with shooting from 15 feet out. Duncan throws his arms into the opponents arms even if he could just make the basket without the foul.

Probably has a lot to do with it. All the calls Duncan gets even out anyway because free throws mess with his mind.

z0sa
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
If you"re aggressive and drive to the hole often, you're going to get calls period.

If youre goto move is a fifteen footer fading away, whenever you do drive to the hole, the refs feel obligated almost NOT to call anything.

Obstructed_View
03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
That reads like a lame attempt to justify his throwing the ball and hitting a fan incident. "Well, if Duncan got so few calls, he'd have thrown the ball too." Give me a break. The only thing lamer than Kevin Garnett are the people who leap at every opportunity to make excuses for him.