PDA

View Full Version : Team America: Whos in/whos out (Bruce is in)

DieMrBond
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Bryant, James, Wade among those on U.S. roster
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009

Josh Howard, Luke Ridnour, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller are among those going to training camp with Team USA. Lamar Odom and Allen Iverson are not.

ESPN.com has learned the identities of the 22 NBA players on the preliminary roster for the U.S. national team, whose director, Jerry Colangelo, will make the news public Sunday.

The list includes All-Stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, but it does not include two players -- Iverson and Odom -- who were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and had expressed strong interest in playing again for USA Basketball.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Colangelo has not revealed all the players he has invited, but sources around the NBA helped ESPN.com compile the following list of players who have been asked to report to training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, and who are expected to attend.

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster up to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.

The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)

Billups will attend training camp but is not expected to compete at the 2006 World Championship in Japan because his wife, Piper, is due to give birth to their third child in late July or early August. Also, Redd is not expected to play in Japan, either, because of his wedding plans.

The Americans plan to take 15 players to Japan (including three who would be inactive for the Worlds). By removing Redick, Morrison, Oden, Billups and Redd from the equation, there would be 20 players vying for 12 active roster spots.

Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards). Brand and Dwight Howard would seem to have the edge for spots 9-10 because of the team's need for size (we're keeping Stoudemire out of that group because he is recovering from knee surgery), which would leave Pierce, Anthony, Battier, Bowen, Josh Howard, Jamison, Johnson, Lewis and Ridnour competing for the final two spots on the active roster. Colangelo has said he would like to include at least one defense-minded role player on the active roster, and it would appear Bowen, Josh Howard and Battier will vie for that role.

Those players who do not go to Japan will remain on the larger national team roster through the 2008 Olympics. If the U.S. team does not win the World Championship, the team will regroup in 2007 for an Olympic qualifying tournament in the Americas zone.

The U.S. team will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who will be assisted by Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Portland Trail Blazers' Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University.

The World Championship begins Aug. 19, with the Americans in a preliminary round group in Sapporo, Japan, that includes China, Slovenia, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal. The U.S. team is planning a pre-tournament trip to South Korea and China to play exhibition games.

Training camp is scheduled to take place July 18-25 before the team takes a five-day break. It will then reconvene for an exhibition game in Las Vegas, likely against Puerto Rico, before the team plane leaves for China on Aug. 4 with 15 players aboard.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2006, 10:26 PM
So . . .

INVITED
Carmelo Anthony
Gilbert Arenas
Shane Battier
Chauncey Billups
Chris Bosh
Bruce Bowen
Elton Brand
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Josh Howard
Lebron James
Antawn Jamison
Joe Johnson
Rashard Lewis
Shawn Marion
Brad Miller
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Michael Redd
Luke Ridnour
Amare Stoudemire
Dwayne Wade

STANDING INVITE
Shaquille O'Neal

POSSIBLE ADDITIONS
J.J. Redick
Adam Morrison
Greg Oden

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

I can see why he would have excluded an irrelevant guy like Tim Duncan from that group.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 10:29 PM
If they are going to put Gilbert fucking Arenas on the team and leave AI off, I'm going to puke.

I get to watch Arenas nightly. He's talented, but has no idea how to do anything except accumulate stats for himself. He plays no defense, and if he feels he isn't getting enough touches (which is impossible since Hughes left), he pouts.

USA Basketball is completely full of shit.

(On a completely different topic, funny how they somehow forgot to put Duncan when the listed who declined to play.)

1Parker1
02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Wait a minute, Shaq gets a standing invite, Arena's gets picked.........yet they blow off ALLEN IVERSON?

Kori Ellis
02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I feel sorry for AI. He cries for stuff like this.

FromWayDowntown
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
It's ridiculous that AI didn't get an invite, while Colangelo is probably trying to figure out a way to invite Quentin Richardson, too, to bring back the American Suns from 2004-05. Joe Johnson is a nice player who can do some good things, but he's not Allen Iverson.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 10:38 PM
This is bullshit. If anyone's organizing a fan protest, let me know.

And I'm not even an AI fan.

DieMrBond
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I found it interesting that Paul Pierce was on the list. I know hes a very talented player, but i didnt even think he was on the radar at all!

But yes, leaving AI off is a joke - him and TD kept Team America in medal contention, not Lebron Carmello etc!! At least they have included some good PG's and Shooters this time, such as Chris Paul, Michael Redd, Chauncey, Rashard and some 'higher level' players such as Kobe, Wade and Amare. Shame about the center position (which admittedly changes if Shaq changes his mind).

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
And the guy is thriving to represent his country, while other players choose to stay at home because they don't give it that much relevance.

And if someone pulls the "team" or "ballhog" card...

Gilbert Arenas
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Dwayne Wade
Amare Stoudamire
and maybe Shaquille O'Neal?

Gimme a break...

Kori Ellis
02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Only 12 players and three alternates actually make the team, right?

It will be interesting to see how that happens.

2centsworth
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

that is one sick team.
my 15 would be: Arenas, Billups, Bosh, Bowen, Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, James, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Redd, Stoudemire, Wade, TBD.

v2freak
02-28-2006, 11:03 PM
TD did not want to participate

ABDENOUR POWER
I can't wait to see what these guys can do together. I'm dissapointed that Billups will miss out on the world championships, but I guess I can't fault the guy for wanting to be with his wife as she gives birth.

I feel bad for AI. He was the MVP of the olympic team, seemingly one of the only players who really wanted to do a good job representing our country .... and he gets kicked off for Gilbert Arenas? GIVE ME A F'ING BREAK!

picnroll
What happened to Hinrich?

DieMrBond
02-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I feel bad for AI. He was the MVP of the olympic team, seemingly one of the only players who really wanted to do a good job representing our country .... and he gets kicked off for Gilbert Arenas? GIVE ME A F'ING BREAK!

Maybe they are trying to make up for his all-star 'snub' /end sarcasm. :rolleyes

smeagol
02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
What happened to Hinrich?
He almost has a triple double against the Pups tonight. He should be in training camp.

JamStone
02-28-2006, 11:14 PM
Chauncey Billups > Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant > Dwyane Wade
LeBron James > Joe Johnson > Shawn Marion
Amare Stoudemire > Elton Brand > Chris Bosh
Brad Miller > Dwight Howard

JamStone
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Allen Iverson is my favorite NBA player. But, I agree with the decision not to invite him on the team. His game just isn't quite right for the Olympic team. But, that being said, neither is Gilbert Arenas', Paul Pierce's, or Carmelo's.

ShoogarBear
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Did Ben Wallace decline? Notice he wasn't mentioned.

JamStone
02-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Did Ben Wallace decline? Notice he wasn't mentioned.

From the article:

"The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)"

ABDENOUR POWER
02-28-2006, 11:34 PM

Looks good to me, though I would play Marion before Johnson. I really don't see them being stopped this time.

I would love to have Bowen on the 12 man active roster, but I simply don't think there are enough spots.

Also, it will be interesting to see how much the young players will have improved by the time the Olympics roll aroun.d

baseline bum
02-28-2006, 11:35 PM
What a disrespect to AI. He's one of my top 3 choices for the team.

fred33
02-28-2006, 11:41 PM
with the fiba rules the usa sucks

Kori Ellis
02-28-2006, 11:45 PM
The one I really don't understand is Ridnour over Hinrich. :wtf

timvp
02-28-2006, 11:54 PM
AI should have been a no-brainer. Last time, he seemed like the only American who cared to be there. I guess Colangelo didn't like his image or something ....

Ridnour sucks. How the heck did he get nominated. AD was better than him last year and the Sonics had to go out and get Watson this year because Ridnour couldn't cut it on his own. Hinrich is ten times the player Ridnour is.

By 2008, the go-to player on the team might actually be Greg Oden.

1Parker1
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
:lol Sidenote: CONGRATS BRUCE! :elephant :elephant

timvp
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Antawn Jamison was a bad choice. So was Rashard Lewis. Those two don't do anything but score.

And ShoogarBear is right. If Arenas is on that team, the US is doomed. The reason the US lost in the Worlds and at the Olympics was because of poor point guard play. Baron Davis and Andre Miller were horrible in the Worlds and Stephon Marbury sucked in the Olympics. The US needs to make sure Chris Paul is on that team and get Hinrich there ASAP.

Supergirl
03-01-2006, 12:04 AM
On talent and heart, AI should go over Chris Paul, who will have other opportunities ahead of him and is too green for the Olympics. AI is so valuable because he's proved he can be PG or a SG and he plays hard, lives for this stuff.

BUT - I wonder if he didn't get overlooked because he's so banged up all the time. I mean, he'll play even if his legs are falling off (he's like that knight in the Monty Python sketch) but they may have wanted someone less banged up, given the commitment he's asking.

Arenas is overrated. Pierce was a good selection, IMO. Billups, Kobe, Lebron, Miller (or Bosh) and Marion is a hell of a starting lineup, and they should be able to win with that.

I hope Bowen gets picked. Against Battier and Howard for that "defensive minded role player" he should be a no brainer.

carina_gino20
03-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Props to Bowen. i really hope he gets to play because he'll really give it all when the time comes.

sucks for AI, tho. to really express commitment for Team USA even after a disappointing in the Olympics and then to get snubbed in the selection process...

velik_m
03-01-2006, 02:37 AM
I can see why he would have excluded an irrelevant guy like Tim Duncan from that group.

maybe they are hoping Bruce will change Duncan's mind...

Spurs "WC team": Manu, Oberto, Parker, Rasho, Beno, Bruce

Pandaemonaeon
03-01-2006, 04:08 AM
The Bruce Bowen pick is the biggest headscratcher for me... okay, maybe not as big as the Arenas/AI issue but a headscratcher nonetheless. He's good at spotting up for corner pocket threes, but I don't think he could get away with his "defensive tactics" in FIBA. I'd probably go with Battier, if not him, then Howard.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Howard>Bowen any day. Howard definitely should be the starting SF at the Olympics. He is just the perfect role player to compliment a star like Dirk. My lineup would be
PG Billups/Wade
SG Kobe/Wade
SF J. Howard/Battier
PF Marion/Battier
C Amare/Chandler
A 8 man rotation with some superstars and a few role players.

JamStone
03-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Howard>Bowen any day. Howard definitely should be the starting SF at the Olympics. He is just the perfect role player to compliment a star like Dirk. My lineup would be
PG Billups/Wade
SG Kobe/Wade
SF J. Howard/Battier
PF Marion/Battier
C Amare/Chandler

Ever heard of a guy named LeBron James?

Billups > Chris Paul
Kobe > Wade > Joe Johnson
LeBron > Marion
Amare > Brand > Bosh

pache100
03-01-2006, 09:59 AM
He's talented, but has no idea how to do anything except accumulate stats for himself.

Perfect description of Kobe Bryant, too, IMO.

This is bullshit. If anyone's organizing a fan protest, let me know.

And I'm not even an AI fan.

Me, neither. But I love a good protest in favor of an underdog. I'm in.

Spurminator
03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Shaq turned it down partly in protest of AI's snub.

Vashner
03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
The Bruce Bowen pick is the biggest headscratcher for me... okay, maybe not as big as the Arenas/AI issue but a headscratcher nonetheless. He's good at spotting up for corner pocket threes, but I don't think he could get away with his "defensive tactics" in FIBA. I'd probably go with Battier, if not him, then Howard.

How many rings do you have??

Bruce>You

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 05:56 PM

I disagree with characterizing Bowen's selection as a "headscratcher," given that he's probably the best perimeter defender in the NBA at the moment.

That said, I do think that USA Basketball would be better served by selecting Battier or Howard as that sort of guy for this team. Were it up to me, I'd take Battier, mostly because he's got both youth and experience on his side, plus he's played for Coach K (which may explain his inclusion) and played well for Coach K. Battier could be the 2006-08 version of Steve Alford on Bob Knight's 1984 Olympic team.

As a side note, Brand may be a virtual lock for the World Championship team in any circumstance, but it certainly helps his chances that Coach K has the team -- same with Redick.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
FWD brings up a good point.

I think Krzyzewski/Colangelo have to be careful about having too many Dookies when there are other just-as-qualifed players.

Brand is a no-brainer. But having Brand, Battier, and Redick all on the team is indefensible, I think.

Spurminator
03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I'd take Battier over Howard as well if you're looking for pure defense... Howard is certainly a better rounded player, but this team won't really need his scoring abilities. I'd go with the better defender, Battier.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
I'd take Battier over Howard as well if you're looking for pure defense... Howard is certainly a better rounded player, but this team won't really need his scoring abilities. I'd go with the better defender, Battier.

I think Battier shoots the ball better from the floor as well. Howard shoots a high percentage because he gets to the rim a lot. In international play, though, there seems to be a premium on perimeter shooting. In terms of effective field goal percentages from "the outside," 82games.com says that Battier shoots almost .060 better than Howard (.502 to .443).

I like Battier, too, because he's longer than either Howard or Bowen.

But mostly, Battier was always one of Coach K's favorites. I suspect that if another guy was coaching the squad, Battier might not have gotten the chance to make the team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2006, 07:15 PM
AI and Hinrich not on the list is just more proof positive Colangelo is a fuck up.

2centsworth
03-01-2006, 07:26 PM
anyone who thinks Brad Miller is better than Dwight Howard needs his head examined.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Michael Redd and Rashard Lewis have decided not to participate.

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=4372

Cant_Be_Faded
03-03-2006, 03:45 PM
fiba sucks

samikeyp
03-03-2006, 03:46 PM
He's good at spotting up for corner pocket threes, but I don't think he could get away with his "defensive tactics" in FIBA

I disagree...his style is perfect.

Drive Like Jehu
03-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Michael Redd and Rashard Lewis have decided not to participate.

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=4372

Less competition on the wing for Bowen.

picnroll
03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
PG Billups/Wade
SG Kobe/Wade
SF J. Howard/Battier
PF Marion/Battier
C Amare/Chandler

I assume and hope Colangelo is looking at the coimpetition and selecting players that match up well with the oppositions best players. Who is the US competition? Argentina and I think Bowen knows Manu's game. Probably not Germany but Bowen sure owns Dirk's ass. Spain has Gasol that Bowen won't stop but they'll also count alot on Navarro who would have a prayer against. Saunas can't buy a breath against Bruce and If Peja is there forget it.

Bowen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Howard.

hendrix
03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
In FIBA tourneys anything can happen right now. I'm not sure Argentina can keep up the level of play of past years, and there surely will be some teams working real hard to reach that level. USA is strong as usual, but Lithuania, Slovenia, Spain, etc can make an impact like the one Argentina did in 2002.