PDA

View Full Version : WHOA. Marc Stein Says Spurs would have got Smith AND Macijauskas

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
:pctoss

Kori Ellis
02-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Damn you are behind the times. :lmao

Kori Ellis
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=773836&postcount=164

fred33
02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
tony has said the same thing at tp show monday

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Damn. I suck at the internet. :depressed

ChumpDumper
03-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Byron hates these guys so much I think this could still be on the table this summer.

CharlieMac
03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Is JR a free agent this summer? If not, who would the Spurs try to move to get him?

Peter
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Here's hoping the Hornets don't wise up between now and June.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Is JR a free agent this summer? If not, who would the Spurs try to move to get him?Both Smith and Arvydas will still be under contract after this season, and the Hornets will definitely have much more than the roughly $2 million in cap space necessary to make up the difference in their and Barry's salaries.

Bruno
03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Here's hoping the Hornets don't wise up between now and June.

It's quite sure Hornets will trade Macijauskas and Smith this summer.
Yesterday both were DNP-CD while Linton Johnson played 20 minutes : they are deep in Scott's doghouse.
The only matter is that Hornets will maybe receive a better offer.

Bruno
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Both Smith and Arvydas will still be under contract after this season, and the Hornets will definitely have much more than the roughly $2 million in cap space necessary to make up the difference in their and Barry's salaries.

It won't be so easy to make the deal this summer.
The deal was likely Barry to NOK; Smith, Macijauskas and a TE to SAS; Vroman to Atlanta.
This deal can't happen between the end of the season and the draft because Vroman is expiring.
After the draft Hornets will be over the cap with Draft picks and cap hold on Claxton, Williams, Norris and Butler.
They have to renounce/re-sign/sign&trade these players to be under the cap. After that they can do the Barry for Smith/Macijauskas trade.
They can easily renounce to Williams and Norris, both are too old to get a 6 year contract. By doing that they will be under the cap and the Barry for Smith Macijauskas trade could happen.

T Park
03-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Macijauskas!?!?

AND JR SMITH!!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG

Macijauskas is one hell of a shooter, and would be FANTASTIC on this team.

Pretty much what Andrew Gaze was supposed to be, but not at Kevin Willis age and Steve Smith abilities.

Chewbacca
03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Macijauskas!?!?

AND JR SMITH!!!!!

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGG

Macijauskas is one hell of a shooter, and would be FANTASTIC on this team.

Pretty much what Andrew Gaze was supposed to be, but not at Kevin Willis age and Steve Smith abilities.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :flipoff

Peter
03-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Yesterday both were DNP-CD while Linton Johnson played 20 minutes : they are deep in Scott's doghouse.

Minny was reportedly offering McCants for Smith. The Spurs could attempt to sweeten the deal by adding Udrih to the mix. That would make sense if they are bringing in Macijauskas.

velik_m
03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Minny was reportedly offering McCants for Smith. The Spurs could attempt to sweeten the deal by adding Udrih to the mix. That would make sense if they are bringing in Macijauskas.

yes, Udrih would be atractive to hornets if speedy doesn't resign. But then spurs would need a new backup pg (van exel is gone after this year?)

Macas is a great shooter, not much else though...

Bruno
03-01-2006, 01:24 PM

Before or after the dealine ?
The matter with McCants is that he likely hasn't a good enough work ethic/attitude for Scott.

Bruno
03-01-2006, 01:26 PM
yes, Udrih would be atractive to hornets if speedy doesn't resign. But then spurs would need a new backup pg (van exel is gone after this year?)
Macas is a great shooter, not much else though...

We can sign Speedy if he isn't too expensive (a goal of the Barry trade is to save money).

ChumpDumper
03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
There is a possibility that the Hornets renounce most of their free agents in an attempt to sign a max free agent to play alongside Paul (if there are any worth pursuing). Alot of it depends on where their FO thinks they are in terms of playoff competition and whether they think a vet like Barry can help them out. They certainly thought that this season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-01-2006, 01:43 PM
The deal was likely Barry to NOK; Smith, Macijauskas and a TE to SAS; Vroman to Atlanta.
This deal can't happen between the end of the season and the draft because Vroman is expiring.

Actually the original deal was Barry for Smith and Maci, it's just after the other deal NO made they needed to dump some more cap room, hence the Jackson offer to Atlanta (who had cap room).

I think there's a good chance this deal will happen this summer unless, as someone's already pointed out, NO gets a better offer.

Peter
03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
We can sign Speedy if he isn't too expensive (a goal of the Barry trade is to save money).

I like Speedy, but he's played well enough this season to fool someone into giving him a large contract to run their team...and promptly miss about half of the games over the duration of that deal. If the market factors that in, then perhaps.

Peter
03-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Before or after the dealine ?
The matter with McCants is that he likely hasn't a good enough work ethic/attitude for Scott.

Before. I read it before the deadline. Wish I had the link.

Peter
03-01-2006, 01:57 PM
There is a possibility that the Hornets renounce most of their free agents in an attempt to sign a max free agent to play alongside Paul (if there are any worth pursuing). Alot of it depends on where their FO thinks they are in terms of playoff competition and whether they think a vet like Barry can help them out. They certainly thought that this season.

I think it depends on where Scott is with the front office. If they believe in him, then that's a huge step towards revisiting this deal in the summer.

wildbill2u
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM

I remember on the day of the trade there was an article somewhere about the relationship between Scott and Smith. Scott all but called him a liar and related some incidents that Scott said reflected a bad attitude. Wish I could remember where I saw it, but it was obvious that they were shopping Smith because of his attitude/relationship with the coach.

I know everyone wants to take on head cases here because the Spurs are supposed to be wonderworkers with them--but you'll notice most of them don't stick here very long. I think JAX remained here longer than most.

Peter
03-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Jack would've remained here longer if he hadn't balked at what the Spurs offered. He suffered a little bit in Atlanta but Indy came to his rescue.

The Smith v. Scott story is too familar. I'm not worried about Smith's attitude. It's Scott's attitude that may just yet give the Spurs another young dynamic swing for nothing.