PDA

View Full Version : Spurs veteran Van Exel seizing his new persona

Manu20
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
Spurs veteran Van Exel seizing his new persona
Web Posted: 03/01/2006 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030106.1C.BKNspurs.vanexel.12ac2209.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

In two quick segments of Monday's home rout of the New York Knicks, the Spurs got remarkably efficient offense from Nick Van Exel.

Van Exel, the veteran point guard signed last summer to provide nerve-free backup for Tony Parker, needed just 91 seconds to score seven points in his first appearance. Only 55 seconds elapsed during a stretch that produced seven points in the fourth period.

Nearly instant production is the last remaining rationale for using his longtime NBA nickname.

"People ask me if they can still call me 'Nick the Quick,'" Van Exel said recently. "It's definitely not that any more. That's just reality."

At 34, Van Exel is more like "Nick the Slightly Faster Than Average."

Reality for Van Exel and the Spurs also is a Thursday game at the AT&T Center against the Dallas Mavericks, who have the best record in the Western Conference and lead the Spurs by one game in the Southwest Division. Since the regular-season division winner likely will earn the No. 1 playoff seed in the West and the division runner-up the No. 4 seed, Thursday's game is considered important.

Van Exel understands this better than most, which helps explain his recent offensive fire. It is time, Van Exel said, to reconnect with his longtime persona.

"Definitely," Van Exel said. "I know I can help the team out more if I'm a little more aggressive. Basically, throughout this season I've been playing not to make mistakes, playing not to hurt the team."

Van Exel's aggression and precision in the 2003 Western Conference finals appealed to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich when the team pursued him last summer. In the Spurs' 4-2 series victory, Van Exel averaged 17.5 points — Steve Nash averaged 14.8 — and was Dallas' most reliable clutch shooter.

Van Exel spent more than a few afternoons in the months that followed playing golf with his then-Mavericks teammate, Avery Johnson. The two lamented a missed opportunity and relished the chance for another shot at the NBA Finals. In mid-August, each was traded to the Golden State Warriors, who have been absent from the playoffs longer than any Western Conference team. The move was tough for both, but Van Exel took it especially hard.

"There's two NBAs," Van Exel said. "There's one with teams that are used to winning and making the playoffs. And there's one with teams that lose a lot."

No need to ask which categories the Spurs and Warriors occupy in Van Exel's view.

"It's nice to be back in the real NBA," he said.

Johnson, now the Mavericks' coach, understands and appreciates Van Exel's drive.

"Nick is so hungry for a championship," Johnson said earlier this season. "I remember when we lost to San Antonio in the Western Conference finals. I had never really seen Nick that emotional. All he had on his mind was trying to get back ... trying to get back. I think that's why when that trade happened he took it so hard."

Van Exel this season has battled a chronically sore left elbow. Bone chips continue to float in the joint, reminder of an old injury. He also has worked hard to be a better defender, and the Spurs' concept of team defense has helped Van Exel mask deficiencies in that area.

"You want to guard your man but funnel him to the big man, more than anything else, and just keep him out of the middle," Van Exel said. "It helps me, it helps Brent Barry, it helped Danny Ferry and it helped Steve Kerr.

"It's a team defense, and that's what basketball is about: Being a team."

Perhaps Van Exel's new nickname should be "Nick the Quick Study."

"He's really an intelligent player," Popovich said. "In our defense there's a lot more team responsibility than individual. He understands that part of it and uses it well. That's important for him, because his nickname may be 'Quick,' but he still depends on that good team 'D' to help him."

Notebook: Robert Horry, who has missed the past six games with an abdominal strain, went through the team's entire practice Tuesday without problems. Popovich said he wants to see how Horry makes it through what is to be a more rigorous session today before deciding whether to activate him for Thursday's game ... The Chicago Bulls are expected to complete a buyout of forward Tim Thomas' contract and waive him today, which would make him eligible for the playoffs if he re-signs with a playoff-bound team. League sources believe the Phoenix Suns, who recently lost starting center Kurt Thomas to a fractured right foot, are most likely to sign Tim Thomas. The Spurs are believed to have interest in Thomas as well.

timvp
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Don't look now, but Nick Van Exel is heating up. Since January 16th, he is shooting 45%.

:smokin

PM5K
03-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I believe his 3PP is also up...

EDIT: He's a bad motherfucker, and don't you forget it....

LilMissSPURfect
03-01-2006, 03:14 PM
so is the weather.....coincidence? hmmmmmm >>>>> See SPAM!

101A
03-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Horry back, Van Exel shooting % up; Finley productive... :smokin

ploto
03-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I am interested to continue my observation of how Nick and Rasho play together- does NVE or will he benefit from some of those things Tony and Manu benefitted from?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
We should have a NVE vbookie

a vbookie about NVE and his performance

50 cent
03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping he gets back into form. Keep it up NVE.

timvp
03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
"Definitely," Van Exel said. "I know I can help the team out more if I'm a little more aggressive. Basically, throughout this season I've been playing not to make mistakes, playing not to hurt the team."

In that regard, Van Exel has been a surprise. He's always been the type of player who could shoot you out of a game if he's running cold. With the Spurs, he's been all about running the offense and has kept his bad shots to a minimum. If he can dail it up a little bit down the stretch, he'll be a nice player to have come playoff time.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
In that regard, Van Exel has been a surprise. He's always been the type of player who could shoot you out of a game if he's running cold. With the Spurs, he's been all about running the offense and has kept his bad shots to a minimum. If he can dail it up a little bit down the stretch, he'll be a nice player to have come playoff time.

If he can get the ball up the court without turning it over he'll be a nice player to have come playoff time.

phyzik
03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
If only Nick had Dick Chenney's shooting percentage.

ZING!