PDA

View Full Version : (Jon) Barry to be waived

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Jon Barry (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3693918.html), that is.

Rockets will waive guard Jon Barry

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets will waive guard Jon Barry today, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said, to give him a chance to hook up with a playoff team or retire.

Players must be free agents by today to be eligible for the post-season if signed later. Barry, who has not returned to the Rockets rotation since coming back from a strained right calf Feb. 14, might have a better chance to play with another team, particularly the Denver Nuggets, who have been looking for a perimeter shooter.

Barry declined to comment until he reaches a decision whether to continue playing or retire, a decision he said he would likely make by Friday.

"I talked to him about (that) we need to pick up a point guard, and also he had an opportunity out there to go and I think play for Denver," Van Gundy said. "We talked about it. I think he decided it was not something he was interested in doing. We told him we were going to waive him. He decided I think to retire. I hope something works out to where he can stay in the Rockets organization. He's a great guy. Even though we were only together for a little more than a year, I was as fond of him and (Bob) Sura as any two guys I've ever coached. Personally, it hurts a lot that both had injuries that impacted them and us."

Barry, 36, has only played in seven games since Nov. 25 when he suffered his first injury this season, a sprained right foot. He did not play at all in the Rockets past two games.

Though Barry indicated he would "leaning toward" retiring, Van Gundy said the Rockets chose to make the move today to give him the option to play with a team looking for help this was season and in the post-season.

"Jon and I had a long conversation over a burger. The conversation came up because Denver had called inquiring. I knew it was really a struggle for him not playing for us because he contributed so much to us last year not only on the court but his whole spirit," Van Gundy said. "He prepared himself so well. Circumstances broke health-wise and out record-wise, when he came back we already set the path we were going.

"He's had a remarkable career. I think he doubts health-wise whether he can still do it. He's not sure. I was not sure, either. I might even miss that stupid . . . three sign those two clowns gave us last year, I miss those guys so much."

With the open roster spot, the Rockets will likely try to add a point guard. Van Gundy said there were a number of players the team is considering, but would not say if they might bring back John Lucas III, who played 13 games with the Rockets this season.

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
you asshole

Peter
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I liked him back when the Rockets picked him up. Not sure about now. Definitely a gamer.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Some people have stated in here that of the two Barry's, he's the better one.

Spurminator
03-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, intriguing on several levels...

bdubya
03-01-2006, 05:48 PM
He brought great energy as a Piston but his D was a little iffy; seems like Brent is more consistent.

timvp
03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
When Brent was signed, I was on record as saying Jon would be the better fit. However, now I'm not sure how healthy he is and the Spurs already have a good amount of shooting guards.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Hmmm, intriguing on several levels...

I'm with you on that.

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
When Brent was signed, I was on record as saying Jon would be the better fit. However, now I'm not sure how healthy he is and the Spurs already have a good amount of shooting guards.

Speaking of which . . . I guess there are no real reports concerning Mr. Sprewell's whereabouts today.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Really slim pickings for free agent point guards. JL3 makes some sense. Andre Barrett is the only other D-Leaguer that might help at this point. Goldwire is still out there in Yakima. Suppose it depends on how serious they are about a playoff run. MAybe they lose their minds and sign Tim Hardaway.

island_dude
03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Well I have about as much dislike for that guy as Dirk did in the playoffs last year. He and Sura were being cocky sumbitches flashing hand signals when they hit a three. That all came to bitter end in game 7 they got spanked by 40 though.
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2005/0502/photo/g_nowitzki_et.jpg

spurs=bling
03-01-2006, 06:33 PM
thats too bad for Jon.

Peter
03-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I doubt the Spurs add his brother because, after all, neither would be here next season.

spurs=bling
03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I doubt the Spurs add his brother because, after all, neither would be here next season.
that is true.

DMFFL341
03-01-2006, 06:37 PM
http://www.atomicsquirrel.com/images/sura.jpg

After game 5 of the playoffs last year. :lol

Peter
03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Man, this team needs some life off the bench. NVE's brought some this season, but not enough. A JBarry or a Sprewell would at least give the Spurs someone who could come in and spark a run. As it stands the team has to wait until Manu comes back into the game.

island_dude
03-01-2006, 06:43 PM

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2005/0502/photo/g_nowitzki_et.jpg

spurs=bling
03-01-2006, 07:25 PM

:lol

angel_luv
03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Ah, that is too bad. Sorry Jon.

zero signal
03-01-2006, 07:54 PM

What the hell, he looks like he just bowled a turkey http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
u would have gotten more hits if u had juss Barry in the thread name
He did, but I think Kori changed it.

Kori Ellis
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
He did, but I think Kori changed it.

No I didn't.

MI21
03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Spurs have enough 2 guards, but Barry would fit in somewhere playing 10-15mpg. A team with a strong inside game would probably benefit from his presence.

Shouldn't Denver be all over this?

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
No I didn't.

I did. I didn't want a thread of flames from folks pissed that it was Jon and not Brent. I had it as "Barry to be waived" for about 2 minutes and got called "an asshole" by the first person to respond. That was enough.

ShoogarBear
03-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I had it as "Barry to be waived" for about 2 minutes and got called "an asshole" by the first person to respond. That was enough.

Damn, pretty thin-skinned for a lawyer. :lol

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2006, 09:28 PM
No I didn't.

I did. I didn't want a thread of flames from folks pissed that it was Jon and not Brent. I had it as "Barry to be waived" for about 2 minutes and got called "an asshole" by the first person to respond. That was enough.

Well there you have it.

ALVAREZ6
03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
I had it as "Barry to be waived" for about 2 minutes and got called "an asshole" by the first person to respond. That was enough.
:lol

I was just joking....

FromWayDowntown
03-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Damn, pretty thin-skinned for a lawyer. :lol

It wasn't being called an asshole that made me change the title -- believe me, I've been called much worse than that. And I assumed (hoped) that Alvarez was using that term in the sense that I would use it with a friend of mine who managed to get over on me. That part was nothing.

It was the prospect of the largely irrational sorts being in a frenzy after having read only the title and assuming that it must have been Brent Barry who was waived.

ploto
03-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Bad week to be a Barry. :(

timvp
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
It wasn't being called an asshole that made me change the title -- believe me, I've been called much worse than that. And I assumed (hoped) that Alvarez was using that term in the sense that I would use it with a friend of mine who managed to get over on me. That part was nothing.

It was the prospect of the largely irrational sorts being in a frenzy after having read only the title and assuming that it must have been Brent Barry who was waived.

Plus, you didn't want whottt to jump :)