PDA

View Full Version : Your advice...

Old School Chic
03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a good friend that I work with that has her Mom in the ICU.
She tells me that her Mom went in with a sharp pain in the back of her neck
and for the doctors to determine what was causing the pain they did an MRI.
Before they took her Mom in for the MRI they gave her some type of med that the Doctors haven't been able to tell my friend what it was. :rolleyes
Unfortunately from that moment on her Mom is no longer the same. They lost her twice and she is now on a breathing machine. The doctors are giving my friend little hope :depressed
She is very confused right now because of everything that is happening to her Mom. She insists that her Mom was ok before she went to the hospital except for the pain she was having on her neck which it ended up to be a tumor. So far by what she has told me and others, It sounds like it was something the hospital did wrong. Everyone is telling her to contact an attorney that handles medical malpractice. If this was your situation, what would you do? I personally would of already been filing a lawsuit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

angel_luv
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll pray for your friend.

I think I would explain the situation to an independent ( i.e not from that hospital) doctor and get his/ her take on the situation.
I would use that information to help decide whether or not to contact a lawyer.

Mixability
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a good friend that I work with that has her Mom in the ICU.
She tells me that her Mom went in with a sharp pain in the back of her neck
and for the doctors to determine what was causing the pain they did an MRI.
Before they took her Mom in for the MRI they gave her some type of med that the Doctors haven't been able to tell my friend what it was. :rolleyes
Unfortunately from that moment on her Mom is no longer the same. They lost her twice and she is now on a breathing machine. The doctors are giving my friend little hope :depressed
She is very confused right now because of everything that is happening to her Mom. She insists that her Mom was ok before she went to the hospital except for the pain she was having on her neck which it ended up to be a tumor. So far by what she has told me and others, It sounds like it was something the hospital did wrong. Everyone is telling her to contact an attorney that handles medical malpractice. If this was your situation, what would you do? I personally would of already been filing a lawsuit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

I work in the Medical Field and know how some greedy people can be with lawsuits. But the fact that they won't tell her the med seems shady on their part. Tell her to contact a lawyer ASAP.

pache100
03-02-2006, 02:43 PM
The best thing she can do is go talk to an attorney. Having lost my father and nearly losing my brother to what we believe was medical malpractice, I will never make that mistake again. She doesn't have to sue if she talks to an attorney. And it may cost her a few bucks to talk. But, her peace of mind is worth it, no matter what she decides to do.

I'll keep your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

If you don't mind my asking, what hospital was your friend's Mom in?

Old School Chic
03-02-2006, 02:48 PM
The best thing she can do is go talk to an attorney. Having lost my father and nearly losing my brother to what we believe was medical malpractice, I will never make that mistake again. She doesn't have to sue if she talks to an attorney. And it may cost her a few bucks to talk. But, her peace of mind is worth it, no matter what she decides to do.

I'll keep your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

If you don't mind my asking, what hospital was your friend's Mom in?

Santa Rosa

pache100
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Santa Rosa

Ok. That's not the one I feared. Will you keep us updated on this?

Messican Lover
03-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Raise some serious shit. See if a little ranting a raving will get you some answers.

Mixability
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Santa Rosa

:pctoss

My gf and her father took her son to the clinic there for a catheter. They were seated next to a woman wearing a surgical mask. They called her name and since it was so busy, her Dad sat down. 30 mins later, the nurses come and ask him to get up along with everyone in the area. He asked why. They said they have to sanitize the area, because the woman has tuberculosis. This would be fine if they didn't know until she was seen, but she was scheduled that day for treatment for the TB. He asked why did they allow her to sit near everyone, they responded, "we didn't think about that". They told him that he, along with the baby needed to get tested for TB immediately. Morons.

easjer
03-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I would try to get a copy of her medical records or charts, though I don't know the proceedures for doing so. She may need a court order, if her mother has not given her access.

So, yeah, talking to a lawyer is a good idea. Talking with a lawyer who will help her get to the bottom of the story is not the same thing as filing a ridiculous lawsuit. People do make mistakes and it is regrettable, but if something the hospital did has caused this, then your friend should know. What she decides to do with the information is of lesser importance.

Old School Chic
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
:pctoss

My gf and her father took her son to the clinic there for a catheter. They were seated next to a woman wearing a surgical mask. They called her name and since it was so busy, her Dad sat down. 30 mins later, the nurses come and ask him to get up along with everyone in the area. He asked why. They said they have to sanitize the area, because the woman has tuberculosis. This would be fine if they didn't know until she was seen, but she was scheduled that day for treatment for the TB. He asked why did they allow her to sit near everyone, they responded, "we didn't think about that". They told him that he, along with the baby needed to get tested for TB immediately. Morons.

Are they ok?

That hospital sux.
I told my friend to pressure them in to telling her WTF it was they gave her Mom. If this was my case, I would be in jail right now for kicking the nurses and doctors ass...
My friend says they didn't even notice she was gone the second time until she walked in and screamed at the nurse that her Mom was not breathing :depressed

Mixability
03-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I would try to get a copy of her medical records or charts, though I don't know the proceedures for doing so. She may need a court order, if her mother has not given her access.

So, yeah, talking to a lawyer is a good idea. Talking with a lawyer who will help her get to the bottom of the story is not the same thing as filing a ridiculous lawsuit. People do make mistakes and it is regrettable, but if something the hospital did has caused this, then your friend should know. What she decides to do with the information is of lesser importance.

If you show proper identification, along with providing her DOB and SSN, you can't be denied her Medical Records. I'd hope the med would be recorded there. It'll give them a chance to fabricate them though, since they have 14 days to release them by law.

Old School Chic
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for your advice and well wishes...

I will keep everyone posted on Mrs. Medellin's condition.

1Parker1
03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
They didn't give your friend a reason for why they couldn't tell her the name of the meds?

I'm thinking if that was me, and the docs said they couldn't tell me, I'd demand a reason as to why they couldn't. I would also try getting that info from maybe one of the other nurses...it does seem shady though.

I hope everything works out. :(

Old School Chic
03-03-2006, 01:09 AM
They didn't give your friend a reason for why they couldn't tell her the name of the meds?

I'm thinking if that was me, and the docs said they couldn't tell me, I'd demand a reason as to why they couldn't. I would also try getting that info from maybe one of the other nurses...it does seem shady though.

I hope everything works out. :(

Thank you, Sweetie...

Old School Chic
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Update

Good morning

Unfortunately, I saw my friend this morning and she informed me that her Mom is no longer responding to anything. They are just waiting on her brother to come in so that they all get a chance to say good bye.
I wish there was words to comfort her but unfortunately all I can do is pray for God to give her strength in this very difficult time in her life.
We have put together a benefit barbque plate sale for this Saturday, March 11, 2006 12pm-6pm. If you would like more information on purchasing tickets please PM me.

Thank you

1Parker1
03-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I am so sorry to hear that. My sympathies go out to your friend and her family. :(

ObiwanGinobili
03-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. It is just awfull. Another hospitol gave my mother in law the wrong meds last year and her hear t stopped 3 times.
We are still goign thru the legal process trying to get the full med records etc etc.
So I know that would be a long process for your friend.

I wish this had ended differntly.:( I'll keep her in my thoughts.

pache100
03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Update

Good morning

Unfortunately, I saw my friend this morning and she informed me that her Mom is no longer responding to anything. They are just waiting on her brother to come in so that they all get a chance to say good bye.
I wish there was words to comfort her but unfortunately all I can do is pray for God to give her strength in this very difficult time in her life.
We have put together a benefit barbque plate sale for this Saturday, March 11, 2006 12pm-6pm. If you would like more information on purchasing tickets please PM me.

Thank you

OSC, I can't PM you because I'm at work. I would like to know where the benefit will be and how much the plates are. If you could email me at [email protected] and let me know, I will see if I can help out.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend's Mom. It is so sad when things like this happen, and I was hoping for a different outcome. Please tell her that there are people who are thinking about her and praying for her family.

Old School Chic
03-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Benefit Barbque Plate Sale Saturday, March 11, 2006
12:00 noon to 6pm
Crestholme Boys & Girls Club 1602 Goliad Rd @ Hot Wells
210-359-7822

Plates $5.00 (chicken & sausage plus trimmings)

Thank you in advance from the Medellin family

http://www.annstreasurechest.com/Images/glitter/glitzer00041.gif

CAGE
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

I will also be there supporting my wife and her friend's family... Hope you can make it out there this Saturday.

hussker
03-06-2006, 06:23 PM
As much as I despise them...

SEEK A LAWYER...Lots of legal loopholes to jump through with the situation indeed.

Issues like Standard of Care come into play, as well as informed consent. The ability to obtain one's legal records, unless as parent/guardian, is extremely difficult unless there is a Powr of Attorney or some other LIKE document.

One stop might be to the Hospital Administrator and the Hospital Chief of Staff. Start internal and work up the chain before going external. Could save you big $$ in the long run, and if you end up going to a lawyer anyway, it is time well spent.

Good luck to all involved. I wish you all the very best at this difficult time.

Old School Chic
03-07-2006, 06:53 AM
^^^ Thank You Hussker^^^

I appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers...

Thank you to all who have PM me.

Summers
03-07-2006, 08:24 AM
If you show proper identification, along with providing her DOB and SSN, you can't be denied her Medical Records. I'd hope the med would be recorded there. It'll give them a chance to fabricate them though, since they have 14 days to release them by law.

I'm not so sure about that. I've asked doctors questions about my husband's gastritis when he was in the hospital and they wouldn't answer them due to confidentiality because Jim hadn't signed a form yet.

pache100
03-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Issues like Standard of Care come into play, as well as informed consent. The ability to obtain one's legal records, unless as parent/guardian, is extremely difficult unless there is a Powr of Attorney or some other LIKE document.

This is very true. Both my sister and I carry a notarized medical Power of Attorney for my Mom at all times.

pache100
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm not so sure about that. I've asked doctors questions about my husband's gastritis when he was in the hospital and they wouldn't answer them due to confidentiality because Jim hadn't signed a form yet.

I had my brother's doctor tell me on the phone that he could not answer any of my questions about my brother's illness because my brother was a 45-year-old man and had to make his own decisions about his medical care. I wasn't trying to make any decisions, I was just trying to find out what the hell was going on. No one, in this day and age, should have to spend 3 weeks in the hospital for a simple case of pneumonia. He was too sick to battle with them. We (his two sisters and his Mother) could not even find out what they were doing to or for him. I do believe, though, that if he had stayed in that hospital one more day, they would have killed him with their "treatment".

Old School Chic
03-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I had my brother's doctor tell me on the phone that he could not answer any of my questions about my brother's illness because my brother was a 45-year-old man and had to make his own decisions about his medical care. I wasn't trying to make any decisions, I was just trying to find out what the hell was going on. No one, in this day and age, should have to spend 3 weeks in the hospital for a simple case of pneumonia. He was too sick to battle with them. We (his two sisters and his Mother) could not even find out what they were doing to or for him. I do believe, though, that if he had stayed in that hospital one more day, they would have killed him with their "treatment".

They told my friend that due to HIPPA they could not release any information to her. :depressed
She has contacted an attorney to start the legal process.

pache100
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
They told my friend that due to HIPPA they could not release any information to her. :depressed
She has contacted an attorney to start the legal process.

Thanks for the update. This is going to be very hard for her. My heart goes out to her and her family (and to you, as her friend).

Carie
03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm so sorry about this!

For my MRI's I've had to have a contrast injected into me. But they have always done the MRI without it first to compare the results.

Also, is your friend's mom sure she didn't have any metal in her body, and wasn't taking Metformin (Glucophage) for diabetes? I THINK you are not able to have this done if you are taking MAOI's either, but I could be wrong about that.

ETA: You can have an MRI taking Metformin, but not one with contrast.

Also, I just found this:

Although Open MRI is an effective diagnostic tool, certain medical conditions will prevent individuals from having an Open MRI. Please inform your physician and our center personnel at the time of scheduling if you have either of the following:

Cardiac Pacemaker
Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)
Cochlear Ear Implant
Other certain medical conditions may prevent individuals from having an Open MRI. Please inform your physician and our center personnel at the time of scheduling if you have any of the following:

Metal fragments located in one or both eyes
Metal fragments or prosthesis within the body
Pregnancy
Certain type aneurysm clips
Other certain type of electrical or magnetic activated implants
It is very important that if you are pregnant or there is a possibility of pregnancy, or if you are breast feeding, that you inform your physician and the center personnel prior to your Open MRI.

If any of these conditions exist, your physician and/or the center radiologist will determine if you can be safely imaged or recommend an alternative diagnostic imaging procedure that can be safely performed for your condition.

Old School Chic
03-07-2006, 09:44 PM
^^^ Thank you Carie ^^^

Actually, my friends Mom is diabetic and had been going to diaysis for quite sometime. :depressed

SequSpur
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
MRI's are done with or without IV contrast. They also can be done with a mild sedative for anxious patients. It sounds like she had a reaction to something which is clearly possible. Look up anaphylaxis shock to medications, etc.

If there is a potential issue with the quality of healthcare delivered to your friend's mom at that hospital, then the Nurse Director, Case Manager, Quality Manager/Director, Peer Review personnel should've all been notified of it.

HIPAA protects medical information. And without a Medical Power of Attorney, you ain't getting any info.

This should be good advice for you, me and the rest to make sure that we have a POA, and Advanced Directives so our family members aren't left hanging in getting info and trying to remember what you wanted when you become incapacitated.

hussker
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
^^^ Thank you Carie ^^^

Actually, my friends Mom is diabetic and had been going to diaysis for quite sometime. :depressed

Would be interesting to know what her seum creatinine was prior to the procedure and injection of contrast (if that is what the injection was. Often times, as sequspur said, there will be a small dose of benzodiazepine prior to the procedure as an anxiolytic.) Especially if she were on Metformin. I am assuming she has diabetic nephropathy, which makes me wonder why the MRI? Knowing that history, however, I am sure all the consent forms were signed and risk/benefits explained by the radiologist.

If not, slam dunk...

SequSpur
03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Would be interesting to know what her seum creatinine was prior to the procedure and injection of contrast (if that is what the injection was. Often times, as sequspur said, there will be a small dose of benzodiazepine prior to the procedure as an anxiolytic.) Especially if she were on Metformin. I am assuming she has diabetic nephropathy, which makes me wonder why the MRI? Knowing that history, however, I am sure all the consent forms were signed and risk/benefits explained by the radiologist.

If not, slam dunk...

Thanks Doc.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
HIPAA regulations make it a lot harder for anyone, even family, to get medical information unless you have designated Durable Power of Attorney or some similar designated medical decision-maker status.

EVERYONE, regardless of your current age and health, should make sure that they have filled out (or at least discussed) Advanced Directives and DPOA forms with your loved ones.

Also, I know people are trying to by helpful, but there's some medical misinformation being spread in this thread. Don't confuse complications from MRI contrast with those from CT scans. The best thing is to take whatever steps you need to find out the facts, and not speculate from what you read in here.

hussker
03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
HIPAA regulations make it a lot harder for anyone, even family, to get medical information unless you have designated Durable Power of Attorney or some similar designated medical decision-maker status.

EVERYONE, regardless of your current age and health, should make sure that they have filled out (or at least discussed) Advanced Directives and DPOA forms with your loved ones.

Also, I know people are trying to by helpful, but there's some medical misinformation being spread in this thread. Don't confuse complications from MRI contrast with those from CT scans. The best thing is to take whatever steps you need to find out the facts, and not speculate from what you read in here.

True, but with a nephropathy, any contrast can cause problems. And yes, there are differences.

2Blonde
03-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I know that this is a terribly difficult time for your friend's family but sometimes during the diagnosis and treatment of patients they have to be given medications that they could potentially have a reaction to. That is why informed consent papers are signed. Nobody knows in advance if the medications will cause a reaction but the benefits of a diagnosis or a cure must be be assessed and if they outweigh the risk then they are usually recommended. If a patient has a reaction, anaphylactic or otherwise, it doesn't necessarily mean there was anything done wrong on the part of the hospital.
As far as the hospital's reluctance to give out information on what medication was administered, disregarding HIPPAA, I am sure any doctor would be a little hesitant to answer that question considering the pro-litigation society we live in. Even if he/she did nothing wrong, quite often people with little or no medical training read about malpractice suits and assume that whenever there is a negative outcome during a medical procedure someone must be held accountable. They are hurting and want someone to blame. It's human nature.
Sometimes there truly are mistakes, like when someone gives a wrong medication or a wrong dose, and that is when people should be held accountable. I agree that your friend should investigate to find out the truth about was given to her mother as long as she realizes that she may find out that it was a tragic accident (allergic reaction) that was no-body's fault and couldn't have been foretold.
My prayers are with you and your friend's family.

Old School Chic
03-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers...

http://128.177.176.205/pub/11/11267h7y4w6eczb.gif

Old School Chic
03-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I just got a call from my friend Patty.
Her Mom passed away this morning. :depressed
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers...
I asked her if the plate sale was going to be cancelled and she told me that now more then ever she needs to have it so that funeral costs can be covered. The information is below is you would like to contribute.

Thank you

Benefit Barbque Plate Sale Saturday, March 11, 2006
12:00 noon to 6pm
Crestholme Boys & Girls Club 1602 Goliad Rd @ Hot Wells
210-359-7822

Plates $5.00 (chicken & sausage plus trimmings)

Thank you in advance from the Medellin family

http://www.annstreasurechest.com/Images/glitter/glitzer00041.gif

Silver21_Black20
03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
I just got a call from my friend Patty.
Her Mom passed away this morning. :depressed
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers...
I asked her if the plate sale was going to be cancelled and she told me that now more then ever she needs to have it so that funeral costs can be covered. The information is below is you would like to contribute.

Thank you

Oh...OSC, I am so sorry to hear that :(

2Blonde
03-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I am so sorry. Is there someplace we can contribute if we can't make it to the benefit? A bank fund set up in her name for funeral and medical expenses maybe?

Old School Chic
03-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I spoke to her earlier... No bank fund was set-up, just the benefit barbque plate sale tomorrow.

My friends' Mom information will come out in the obituaries this weekend under Santa Teresa Medellin...

Once again thank you for all your thoughts and prayers

pache100
03-10-2006, 05:56 PM
OSC, I am so very sorry to hear this. Please pass my condolences on to your friend. She is lucky to have a friend who cares as much as you do, and I am sure you are a comfort to her.