PDA

View Full Version : The Cavaliers lost their fifth straight game Wednesday night, a slump that is

ducks
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Cavaliers Lose Fifth Straight Game By The Associated Press
Thu Mar 2, 7:17 AM ET

Even if they aren't panicking, the Cavaliers sure aren't giving anyone in Cleveland reason to relax. The Cavaliers lost their fifth straight game Wednesday night, a slump that is all too familiar after their second-half collapse last season.

Kenny Thomas scored 22 points and Mike Bibby added 16 to lead the Sacramento Kings to a 97-90 victory in Cleveland. The Cavs are only a game ahead of Indiana for the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference playoff race and will try to halt the slide Thursday night when they visit Chicago.

"I don't feel things slipping away," coach Mike Brown said. "We as a group have to get back in the foxhole and go get one tomorrow in Chicago. We have to try to increase our effort level. I have to increase my effort level. We just have to go get it done. I don't feel like it's slipping away."

Cleveland's slump is similar to last season's, when the Cavs won their first game after the All-Star break but then lost six straight. It marked the beginning of a collapse that caused them to miss the playoffs by a game.

"Right now, it's all, `Here we go again,'" Cavaliers forward Donyell Marshall said. "Obviously, with the talk of last year, we try not to let that affect us, but I think it's affecting us right now."

In other games, it was: Indiana 99, Washington 93; Atlanta 113, Toronto 111 in overtime; Miami 103, Boston 96; Memphis 101, New York 99; Minnesota 100, New Jersey 90; Charlotte 104, Utah 89; Denver 98, Detroit 87; Phoenix 123, Milwaukee 110; Philadelphia 106, Houston 101; Portland 99, the Los Angeles Lakers 93; Golden State 98, Orlando 94; the Los Angeles Clippers 89, New Orleans 67.

Ron Artest's strong defense on LeBron James sparked Sacramento's eighth win in 11 games. James shot 7-for-21 and was held to 19 points, well below his 30.8 average. James also had 12 assists and seven rebounds.

"It's not what we did to LeBron, it's what we did to their team," Artest said.

The Cavs upgraded their roster after James didn't get enough help during last season's collapse. His supporting cast didn't hold up its end Wednesday night, but James said he isn't giving up on them.

"I am not frustrated," James said. "I have always said if they are going to put two on me or three on me, I am going to give the ball up. I did that tonight and guys made shots and missed shots. It happens."

Nuggets 98, Pistons 87

Kenyon Martin had 28 points and 12 rebounds and Carmelo Anthony added 25 points to help Denver hand Detroit a rare road loss.

Marcus Camby grabbed 20 rebounds to go along with 12 points for the Nuggets, who dominated the boards, 59-35. Detroit had its six-game winning streak snapped.

Heat 103, Celtics 96

At Boston, Dwyane Wade had 24 points and eight assists, Antoine Walker scored all of his 13 points in the fourth quarter, and Miami extended its winning streak to seven.

Paul Pierce, who set a Celtics record by averaging 33.5 points per game in February, scored 38 points.

Suns 123, Bucks 110

At Phoenix, Steve Nash scored 23 points and had 13 assists, Shawn Marion added 29 points, and the Suns shot 57 percent while extending the NBA's longest active win streak to eight games.

Michael Redd scored 37 points, but the Suns beat the Bucks for the 18th straight time in Phoenix.

Grizzlies 101, Knicks 99

At Memphis, Tenn., Pau Gasol hit 15-foot baseline jumper with 2.7 seconds remaining to lift Memphis over New York, which has lost five straight and 21 of its last 23.

76ers 106, Rockets 101

At Houston, Allen Iverson scored 40 points, including 12 in the fourth quarter, and Chris Webber had 21 points and 13 rebounds.

Clippers 89, Hornets 67

At Los Angeles, Elton Brand scored 25 points, and the Clippers held New Orleans to one field goal during the final 20 minutes.

Desmond Mason scored 20 points for the Hornets, who missed 21 consecutive field-goal attempts and finished at 36.5 percent while setting an NBA record with only 16 points in the second half. They were 0-for-9 from 3-point range.

Pacers 99, Wizards 93

At Washington, Stephen Jackson scored 26 points, David Harrison scored 10 fourth-quarter points on a gimpy ankle, and Indiana snapped the Wizards' nine-game home winning streak.

Hawks 113, Raptors 111, OT

At Toronto, Joe Johnson and Al Harrington each scored 26 points, and Atlanta recovered after blowing a six-point lead in the final 34 seconds of regulation.

Timberwolves 100, Nets 90

At Minneapolis, Kevin Garnett had 26 points and 16 rebounds, rookie Rashad McCants scored a season-high 21 points, and struggling Minnesota handed New Jersey its third straight loss.

Bobcats 104, Jazz 89

Brevin Knight had 19 points and 10 assists, and Charlotte shot 52 percent and won on the road for just the sixth time this season.

Trail Blazers 99, Lakers 93

At Portland, Ore., Zach Randolph had 20 points and eight rebounds, and Portland snapped a six-game losing streak.

Kobe Bryant scored 35 points for the Lakers, who have lost three of four.

Warriors 98, Magic 94

At Oakland, Calif., Jason Richardson scored 11 of his 25 points in the final 1:49 to help Golden State end a four-game losing streak.

himat
03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
this happens every year. if they somehow work their way out again i'll be dissapointed.

ducks
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
just shows you how great james really is