PDA

View Full Version : Alba Threatens to Sue Playboy

midgetonadonkey
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=174586034&p=y7458674x

Alba threatens Playboy

02/03/2006 - 12:53:37 Jessica Alba has threatened to sue Playboy, claiming that putting her photo on its cover made readers think she posed nude for the magazine.

Jessica Alba has threatened to sue Playboy, claiming that putting her photo on its cover made readers think she posed nude for the magazine.

Documents show that the 25-year-old actress has written to Hugh Hefner's company complaining that it attempted to make it seem as if she appears in a "nude or semi-nude pictorial".

In a February 23rd letter her lawyers demanded that Playboy stop distributing the magazine and provide her with a "monetary settlement" for its unauthorised commercial use of her image.

According to her lawyer Brian Wolf, the magazine's decision to put her on the cover to illustrate a story about the 25 sexiest celebrities had caused Alba "immeasurable harm".

The lawyer alleged that Playboy initially offered to pay the actress to appear on the cover, but that they were flatly turned down.

I think she needs to just shut the hell up and pose nude already.

batman2883
03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
damn i was fixing to buy that shit so quickly too

lilmads
03-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I think she needs to just shut the hell up and pose nude already.

:lmao Every male's dream... :)

midgetonadonkey
03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Actually I'd prefer to see her pose in Hustler.

batman2883
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Actually I'd prefer to see her pose in Hustler.
with beads??

ShoogarBear
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm thinking of suing Playboy too, for the very same reason . . .

pache100
03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
She signed a release. Not everyone who has ever posed for or been on the cover of Playboy Magazine has posed nude for them. No one held a gun to her head and made her do this (if they did, that's a different lawsuit). This is a frivolous lawsuit. I hope the judge throws it out. If she wants more money, she should do more work.

It's a done deal now, she can't take it back. What does she want them to do, go around and snatch the cover off everyone's Playboy?

midgetonadonkey
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
with beads??

Anal beads? That would be swell.

Sec24Row7
03-02-2006, 03:18 PM
She signed a release. Not everyone who has ever posed for or been on the cover of Playboy Magazine has posed nude for them. No one held a gun to her head and made her do this (if they did, that's a different lawsuit). This is a frivolous lawsuit. I hope the judge throws it out. If she wants more money, she should do more work.

It's a done deal now, she can't take it back. What does she want them to do, go around and snatch the cover off everyone's Playboy?

She didnt pose for them.

Playboy called up Sony Entertainment and lied saying that Alba had agreed to let them use a press release photo of her from one of the movies she is in a Bikini most of the time. (The one with the blond dude from Fast and Furious... Walker i think) Sony released the photo to playboy and now playboy is using it.

Sony has asked for an apology I believe...

Alba is sueing.

If that version of the story is true... she deserves the money.

ShoogarBear
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM

Assuming she did sign a release for the photo, does it then entitle somebody to sell/use the photo anywhere they choose? (I'm asking; I don't really know.)

If you signed a release, what's to prevent somebody from putting your photo on the cover of NAMBLA Monthly, as long as they don't say anything false about you?

Sec24Row7
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
It's the responsibility of both parties to know what a release says.

I'm sure any release she WOULD sign if she has anyone handling her worth his/her salt would limit playboy's use of the photo to only pre approved mediums.

tlongII
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I would like to see Alba pose for Playboy.

pache100
03-02-2006, 03:25 PM
She didnt pose for them.

Playboy called up Sony Entertainment and lied saying that Alba had agreed to let them use a press release photo of her from one of the movies she is in a Bikini most of the time. (The one with the blond dude from Fast and Furious... Walker i think) Sony released the photo to playboy and now playboy is using it.

Sony has asked for an apology I believe...

Alba is sueing.

If that version of the story is true... she deserves the money.

I did not know that. I had read that she had posed for the magazine but did not know they would use her photo on the cover. If she posed for the magazine she signed a release and they can use her photo as they see fit. I was unaware that another entity had sold or provided her photo to Playboy because that is not what I heard. If they used her photo without her permission, she has a legitimate gripe.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-02-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking of suing Playboy too, for the very same reason . . .

:lol

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Assuming she did sign a release for the photo, does it then entitle somebody to sell/use the photo anywhere they choose? (I'm asking; I don't really know.)

If you signed a release, what's to prevent somebody from putting your photo on the cover of NAMBLA Monthly, as long as they don't say anything false about you?

Generally, the release will contemplate the uses to which your likeness can be put and if it is non-specific, you run the risk of the image being misused. There are legal remedies -- torts like invasion of privacy, defamation, and misappropriation of likeness -- but a release signed by the person depicted is usually a pretty solid defense in those cases.

ChumpDumper
03-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Doesn't Alba appear semi-nude in pretty much every picture and movie she's been in?

FromWayDowntown
03-02-2006, 04:41 PM
What I don't get is this: any Playboy "reader" would KNOW that there are no nude pictures of Alba in the magazine; only someone who doesn't "read" Playboy would think that she was.

ShoogarBear
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
What I don't get is this: any Playboy "reader" would KNOW that there are no nude pictures of Alba in the magazine; only someone who doesn't "read" Playboy would think that she was.

Seems to me she could argue both ways on this:

1) Some people would buy the magazine because they thought there were nude pics, then when they found out there weren't they would think that she agreed to use of her photo under misleading pretenses.

2) People who wouldn't buy the magazine would assume she did pose nude, and this might damage her image in their eyes.

Sec24Row7
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Not to mention perhaps she PERSONALLY just doesnt want to be associated with Playboy in any way.

I can understand that if it is important to her.

I wouldn't want my picture on the cover of the PETA newsletter with it implying I thought what they do is cool.

Maybe its just the same thing with her.

Albeit... That to me would seem a little weird considering she basically is famous because of her body and the way she shows it off anyway.

tlongII
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm considering suing Jessica Alba if she doesn't pose for Playboy.

Peter
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
What's her problem? It isn't like this is bad PR for her.

CosmicCowboy
03-02-2006, 05:11 PM
the whole issue is frivilous bullshit. It would be like her sueing the National Enquirer if they put her on the cover because people might think she had been kidnapped by aliens. She is a public figure and shit happens. No legal case here.

Sigmund Freud
03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
:lmao Every male's dream... :)

You got that right.