PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Throws Bush Tantrum In Class

Nbadan
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
This story has been all over the right-wing radio shows today, so although its of minimal significance to anyone but hard-core wingnuts, well, here it is...

An Overland High School teacher who criticized President Bush, capitalism and U.S. foreign policy during his geography class was placed on administrative leave Wednesday afternoon after a student who recorded the session went public with the tape.

In the 20-minute recording, made on an MP3 player, teacher Jay Bennish described capitalism as a system "at odds with human rights." He also said there were "eerie similarities" between what Bush said during his Jan. 28 State of the Union address and "things that Adolf Hitler used to say."

The United States was "probably the single most violent nation on planet Earth," Bennish also said on the tape.

Bennish, who has been part of Overland's social studies faculty since 2000, did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Cherry Creek School District officials are investigating the incident, but no disciplinary action has been taken, district spokeswoman Tustin Amole said.

Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3560566)

Having a student tape the class and report the teacher Is an eerie similarity to Hitler on its own.

The whole thing is available of the link in the OP.

The student who is recording, doesn't just sit idly while the teacher goes off, the student engages and pushes the teacher further. Another thing the news article seems to miss is that the teacher also speaks of Clinton's foreign policy (and earlier ones as well) as the probable catalyst for 9-11.

I just don't get this and I wouldn't get it if it were a wingnut standing up before a class on offering his opinions on world affairs. There are so few teachers who actually attempt to reach students and get them thinking outside of their own box. I wish my local public high school had teachers who cared so much about developing critical thinking skills.

:hat

Nbadan
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Of course, there always more to the story than wing-nut radio is telling you...

Allen's father claims the comments made in the recording are biased and inappropriate for a geography class.

"I'm not saying Bush and Hitler are exactly the same, obviously they're not. OK? But there are some eerie similarities to the tones that they use," says Bennish in his critique of U.S. economic and foreign policy.

Towards the end of the class, Bennish goes on to say, "I'm not in anyway implying that you should agree with me, I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take thinks from the surface."

A spokesperson for the Cherry Creek School District said they have placed Bennish on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. This is not a disciplinary action; the school district wants to remove him while they sort through the rest of the investigation.

9 NEWS (http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=b8298706-0abe-421a-0116-75e16c449518&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf)

Mr. Peabody
03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't think the teacher's actions were appropriate for a high school class. At that age, most kids are not informed enough to counter the teacher's arguments or even feel that they are in a position to do so. A comment every now and then may not be a reason for suspension or termination, but it appears that this teacher routinely made these types of comments.

Nbadan
03-02-2006, 05:38 PM
The Republican Youth was just on Hannity's radio show. He said his teacher has "teached" for about 6 years, and he hoped his teacher got a severe "reprimandation." Hannity was totally stoked and said, "Do you know what you have done for education? You have put a chill up the spine of every educator who may speak out against Bush? You have made education better today."

Mr. Peabody
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
"I'm not saying Bush and Hitler are exactly the same, obviously they're not. OK? But there are some eerie similarities to the tones that they use," says Bennish in his critique of U.S. economic and foreign policy.

I still don't think these comments are appropriate for a high school class. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't think high school minds are mature enough to handle these types of comments.

Mr. Peabody
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
The Republican Youth was just on Hannity's radio show. He said his teacher has "teached" for about 6 years, and he hoped his teacher got a severe "reprimandation." Hannity was totally stoked and said, "Do you know what you have done for education? You have put a chill up the spine of every educator who may speak out against Bush? You have made education better today."

Exactly my point.

Oh, Gee!!
03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Sounds like the teacher watched "Dead Poet's Society" and "Dangerous Minds" too many times

Spurminator
03-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah he went overboard, but is this really all that newsworthy? Or, rather, "newsnecessary"? I'm sure the Sean Hannity's of the world would love to proclaim this is undeniable evidence of a Liberal conspiracy to brainwash our children but it's really nothing more than an irresponsibly opinionated teacher. Is this any worse than a teacher espousing religious beliefs? Is it any worse than just being an altogether unintelligent teacher? How many thousands of THOSE do we have in this country?

They should have gone to the principal with complaints, not the Media. These kids weren't in any danger here.

Mr. Peabody
03-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Sounds like the teacher watched "Dead Poet's Society" and "Dangerous Minds" too many times

Well, we know what happened to the teacher in "Dead Poet's Society."

Mr. Peabody
03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah he went overboard, but is this really all that newsworthy? Or, rather, "newsnecessary"? I'm sure the Sean Hannity's of the world would love to proclaim this is undeniable evidence of a Liberal conspiracy to brainwash our children but it's really nothing more than an irresponsibly opinionated teacher. Is this any worse than a teacher espousing religious beliefs? Is it any worse than just being an altogether unintelligent teacher? How many thousands of THOSE do we have in this country?

They should have gone to the principal with complaints, not the Media. These kids weren't in any danger here.

I agree. It's not newsworthy. But it will get the conservatives all fired up.

boutons_
03-02-2006, 06:34 PM
What if the teacher had run his mouth in favor of dubya/dickhead, Iraq war, Repugs, Katrina response, etc. Would the story be all over Repug/hate/pissed-off radio and TV?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-02-2006, 06:50 PM

You have a point, but it also sounds like the kids are so brainwashed by their conservative parents that Orwell's little tattle tails (as described in 1984 ) are going to be here faster than we originally thought...

Peter
03-02-2006, 06:50 PM
So every HS teacher should be allowed to use a classroom as their own personal forum provided they are a left wingnut?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
So every HS teacher should be allowed to use a classroom as their own personal forum provided they are a left wingnut?

It'll be interesting to see if he gets fired or not. Disciplinary action should be taken, cuz we don't want teachers blabbering shit. On the other hand, we don't want someone fired from their job for speaking out against the current regime (provided he has a decent previous history and most kids say he's good at his job)

"I'm not in anyway implying that you should agree with me, I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take thinks from the surface."
He did a decent job covering his tracks if he was just preaching the entire class. It seems just as plausible that he really was trying to get them to think outside of the box.

Why is he a raving left-wing nut if he just points out the parallels between nazism and this current regime (a jr high student of normal mental faculties with internet access could point these out), then tells them to think for themselves?

Oh, Gee!!
03-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Just teach Geography, that's what you're getting paid to do.

Peter
03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Because he's advancing a certain political viewpoint to a captive audience on the taxpayer's dime.

boutons_
03-02-2006, 07:04 PM
So the red-state right-wingers are all against political dissent by teachers in the classroom, but public schools teaching fringe, nut-case "science" like creationism and ID is appropriate?

Cant_Be_Faded
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Because he's advancing a certain political viewpoint to a captive audience on the taxpayer's dime.

yeah
i keep forgetting he was a geography teacher

definite punishment
but if his record is clean, he shouldn't be fired

Cant_Be_Faded
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
So the red-state right-wingers are all against political dissent by teachers in the classroom, but public schools teaching fringe, nut-case "science" like creationism and ID is appropriate?

:lmao good one

JoeChalupa
03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
"Good morning, eager young minds."

Yonivore
03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I didn't know Nbadan taught school.

SA210
03-03-2006, 12:48 AM
^^ :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
03-03-2006, 12:59 AM
I heart Gitmo.

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 01:54 AM

Blah, he's merely giving the kids an opportunity to develop their critical thinking skills. Something that is severely missing in our school system. It's not like he's flunking anyone or throwing them out of his class for disagreeing with his argument, hell, even he admits that he hasn't staked out a concrete position on the topics he discussed.

I think it's more disturbing that instead of going to the Principal or the school board with his concerns, this student being egged on by his wing-nut parents, went to the local media instead.

Peter
03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Blah, he's merely giving the kids an opportunity to develop their critical thinking skills. Something that is severely missing in our school system. It's not like he's flunking anyone or throwing them out of his class for disagreeing with his argument, hell, even he admits that he hasn't staked out a concrete position on the topics he discussed.

Let's see, a kid is sent to a state run school that his parents are forced to pay for. Yeah, no problem there. I'm sure you'd have the same reaction if the teacher was just, for the formation of the students' critical thinking skills, pontificating on how the current president's leadership was akin to, oh, say a Winston Churchill that you'd so readily defend it?

I think it's more disturbing that instead of going to the Principal or the school board with his concerns, this student being egged on by his wing-nut parents, went to the local media instead.

So he's utilizing his 1st amendment rights. What's your problem with that?

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Let's see, a kid is sent to a state run school that his parents are forced to pay for. Yeah, no problem there. I'm sure you'd have the same reaction if the teacher was just, for the formation of the students' critical thinking skills, pontificating on how the current president's leadership was akin to, oh, say a Winston Churchill that you'd so readily defend it?

Happens all the time in Texas and I have no problem with it. I'm sure that my kids will have the critical thinking skills they need to distinguish between fact and ideology.

Peter
03-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, sure.

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 03:16 AM
So he's utilizing his 1st amendment rights. What's your problem with that?

Yeah, so your saying that his wingnut parents didn't have a hidden agenda when they made the choice to run to the local media instead of handling this through the proper channels first. I call bullshit.

Peter
03-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah, so your saying that his wingnut parents didn't have a hidden agenda when they made the choice to run to the local media instead of handling this through the proper channels first. I call bullshit.

"Hidden agenda"? They didn't want their kid forced to listen to someone's personal political viewpoints. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 03:31 AM
"Hidden agenda"? They didn't want their kid forced to listen to someone's personal political viewpoints. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

and the best way to solve this is to run to the local media who in turn edit the teacher's comments and give blow-hards like Limpballs and Insannity all the cause they need to turn this into a private versus public school issue, right?

If the Parents where so concerned about the teachers comments then why didn't they go to the School Principal or to a school board meeting and voice their concerns?

Peter
03-03-2006, 03:34 AM
and the best way to solve this is to run to the local media who in turn edit the teacher's comments and give blow-hards like Limpballs and Insannity all the cause they need to turn this into a private versus public school issue, right?

I don't care what they do. It's their right and the right of their child to express how they felt about it. Why can't people complain about an employee at a public institution in public? You do that often.

If the Parents where so concerned about the teachers comments then why didn't they go to the School Principal or to a school board meeting and voice their concerns?

They chose what they chose. They had the right to.

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 03:37 AM
I don't care what they do. It's their right and the right of their child to express how they felt about it. Why can't people complain about an employee at a public institution in public? You do that often.

If I had a problem with a public school, or public school teacher I wouldn't run to the local media to handle my problem for me, unless I had another agenda, or I wanted to turn the whole thing into a circus.

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 03:38 AM
They chose what they chose. They had the right to.

That's one of the beauties built into the Constitution. You just can't chose to surrender your rights.

Crookshanks
03-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Dan, did you listen to the whole interview with the young man? This teacher has been doing this all year! The boy didn't tape the lecture with any agenda - he taped it so that he could use it to study later. He just so happened to pick a day when the teacher went on a pretty spectacular rant.

Also, this was an honors World Geography Class, not a history class or a civics class. The teacher should have been teaching the capital of Slovenia, not the politics of George W. Bush! And, finally, because of the lack of teaching, the student transferred to another class (a regular World Geography Class), which was way ahead of the so-called honors class!

The teacher is a joke and should be reprimanded. BTW, would you be so tolerant if the teacher was stating that the Christians are far superior to the Muslims and that the Muslims were getting what they "deserved." Probably not!

Peter
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
That's one of the beauties built into the Constitution. You just can't chose to surrender your rights.

Well, that's my point.

Peter
03-03-2006, 04:02 PM
If I had a problem with a public school, or public school teacher I wouldn't run to the local media to handle my problem for me, unless I had another agenda, or I wanted to turn the whole thing into a circus.

...or perhaps to bring this to the public's attention and garner support for when they do go to the school board?

Oh, Gee!!
03-03-2006, 04:02 PM

maybe he should just buy the school. Then he can say and do whatever the hell he wants.

101A
03-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Is this any worse than a teacher espousing religious beliefs?

If that had happened in California, I promise you, THAT teacher would not have a job today - and would probably be facing an ACLU lawsuit.

101A
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
maybe he should just buy the school. Then he can say and do whatever the hell he wants.

No-one would enroll.

But, yes he could (glad that last thread was so enlightening for you).

Peter
03-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Absolutely.

Oh, Gee!!
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Absolutely.

:lol

101A
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Actually, in a comedic side note....apparently some of the teachers OTHER students made an appearance on the Hannity TV show...

[little background - this was a high school world geography class]

anyway, they were very supportive of the teacher, espousing his wonderfull teaching skills & how much they had learned from him.

Well, when Hannity broke out some questions from the geography bee (not tough ones) they had no correct answers.

Can just see teach at home going Homer Simson, "DOH!"

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
On a more comedic sidenote, I doubt that Insannity knew the answers either without looking at them.

jochhejaam
03-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by nbadan: Having a student tape the class and report the teacher Is an eerie similarity to Hitler on its own.
The boy said that he was a prolific note taker and he decided to tape the class instead of writing notes so just what is this eerie similarity to Hitler?

Peter
03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
The boy said that he was a prolific note taker and he decided to tape the class instead of writing notes so just what is this eerie similarity to Hitler?

Isn't being forced to sit through one man's political diatribe a better comparison?

Spurminator
03-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Bottom line is that this isn't newsworthy. The kid and his parents are "free" to do whatever they want with the recording, but they should have exercised some restraint in this instance. The appropriate thing to do is contact the principal. If that doesn't work, contact the district.

Contacting the Media should have been a last resort. Clearly the parents wanted to make names for themselves and their kid... and yeah, they're free to do that.

Now all they've created is another layer of fear for teachers... Every action has an equal and opposite reaction; sure, teachers will probably think twice before spewing ideology in class but there IS a fine line between ideology and initiating discussion. This teacher crossed that line, but how many other teachers will be unfairly accused of bias?

How many lessons will be recorded out of context and submitted to the Media out of spite? Will it be national news every time a kid records his teacher expressing a viewpoint?

Nbadan
03-03-2006, 05:08 PM

If he is a prolific note-taker, which I doubt from listening to him on the radio, then were is the need to tape the class in the first place?

No one has even bothered to answered my more valid question, why did he run to the press instead of taking care of this as an internal school matter? Was he trying to make a name for himself? I heard that he is now transfering schools, so who is left to deal with the after-math of this attack on free speech in schools? Certainly not him or his wingnut parents who started this whole over-reaction in the first place.

Peter
03-03-2006, 05:12 PM
He complained about a public employee in a public forum. You haven't answered my question: what is wrong with that?

Spurminator
03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
What's wrong with it is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. This is the kind of national attention normally reserved for teachers who molest students, not the ones who preach to them.

Peter
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, was it known that it would create this much of a firestorm? Maybe the parents did not feel that the authorities would be receptive to their complaints?

Spurminator
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
They should have tried first.

It's not their fault that the Media blew it up more than necessary but it shouldn't have gone to the Media in the first place unless other avenues had failed.

Extra Stout
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I had a terrific teacher in high school who also happened to be a hardcore lefty. But he knew where the line was. During class lecture time, he didn't exploit his captive audience. He taught the curriculum.

But if a student wanted to chat with him during some free time in class after finishing an assignment, or after class, or after school, he'd open up and share his beliefs. That's perfectly OK because it's in the give-and-take of a conversation where both parties are on equal footing. The student is approaching him to have the conversation of his own volition.

But the teacher does not have free speech rights to say whatever he wants during a class lecture. He is not speaking in a free public forum. He is carrying out his job as an employee, and he is subject to the terms of his employer. If he wants to prattle on about pinko-commie causes, he can do it outside of his work, or after class with those students who choose to talk with him.

What he is doing is not "developing critical thinking skills." I had teachers who worked on that with students. It happens in small discussion groups, where everybody is supposed to be speaking and challenging one another to back up what they say. It doesn't happen in a lecture. What he is doing is exploiting a captive audience of impressionable minds by cramming his beliefs down their throat.

If there is evidence that he has been conducting his class this way with any frequency, he deserves to be fired.

Nbadan
03-05-2006, 02:26 AM
If there is evidence that he has been conducting his class this way with any frequency, he deserves to be fired.

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/hulka.jpg
Settle down Francis

Nbadan
03-05-2006, 05:06 AM
How some people view a 'more politically balanced' education...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/JohnnyRingo2U/Doonesbury1.jpg

Peter
03-05-2006, 12:29 PM
To recap this thread...

If a teacher fires off an anti-conservative tirade in class he's merely developing "critical thinking skills".

If a teacher fires off an anti-liberal tirade in class he's helping to establish the Fourth Reich.

Understood.

spurster
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
We don't want our kids to think critically. What good is that on the TAKS test?

xrayzebra
03-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Critical thinking. Preaching the left wing theory is critical thinking? Why do people
on the left continue to hold on to falsehoods? None of their theories work, never
have, never will. Government screws most things up, but they insist that they
continue to handle health care, social programs and getting people out of poverty.
It wont happen. Government should stick to what it was created for.

The guy in Bolder is an over educated idiot. Like many in our government
controlled education system. He was suppose to be teaching a basic subject,
not geopolitics or politics period. And even in geopolitics he is suppose to
give the material he is assigned to teach and encourage the students to do
research on their own, not his.