PDA

View Full Version : Aww, how do those of you who are parents deal with this?

adrienne
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
My little brother, who is 7, has had a guinea pig for about a year...and she had been acting funny, and finally died today while I was at work. He called me crying to tell me. I know it's all a part of learning about life, but it's so sad to see a kid deal with that!

CharlieMac
03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Guinea pigs are such great pets.

The sone
03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
its a learning curve...as is life. the death of a pet is a good way to get them to understand things of that nature...

man i just re-read that and even i hate myself...but its true.

ElMuerto
03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Death is as much a part of life as living is.

Watch the Lion King together and he'll be alright.

Akunamatata.

The sone
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Death is as much a part of life as living is.

Watch the Lion King together and he'll be alright.

Akunamatata.

well said death...well said!

ObiwanGinobili
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
My little brother, who is 7, has had a guinea pig for about a year...and she had been acting funny, and finally died today while I was at work. He called me crying to tell me. I know it's all a part of learning about life, but it's so sad to see a kid deal with that!

awwwwwww.
reallky I have no idea because my kikds arn't old enough for that yet.

but thats along life for a guinea pig, so you can at least comfort you brother with the knowledge that his pet lived the longest fullest tiem posible adn that he just couldn;t live any longer. I'm sure he took the absolute best care of that guinea pig.

jcrod
03-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, we got my daughter (8) three Gerbils and we told her she had to feed and give them water. We would ask her every other day if she's feed them. She would always say yes. My wife would clean out the cage about every week or so. Well she went to clean the cage out and two of them were dead.

My wife came and told me about it and realized she hadn't feed them in a week. I went to talk to her about it. Thinking she was going to be upset, all she told me was you should've seen the one eating the brains of the other one. Well i now was upset and told is that all you can say, etc.... No response and tried to change the subject.

You think i have a Jeffery Dalmer in the making?? :( :lol

travis2
03-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Well, when my kids were that age they lost a gerbil. I had them help me bury him (gives them a chance to "say goodbye" and gives some sort of "closure")...and outside of that, just let them cry that evening as they needed to...

SpursWoman
03-03-2006, 08:48 AM
My daughter and her friend came walking home one morning after she'd spent the night at her friends house to find one of our kittens dead in the street ... right behind the tire of my car, so of course she thought I did it. A year later I'm still trying to convince her it wasn't me (and it wasn't :lol :angel ).

We've had so many animals come and go it's not even funny ... and even the little overly emotional drama queen has gotten used to it by now.

:fro

Of course, she doesn't know yet that we found mama-kitty dead in the ditch that runs along the side of my house... :depressed

Jekka
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, when my kids were that age they lost a gerbil. I had them help me bury him (gives them a chance to "say goodbye" and gives some sort of "closure")...and outside of that, just let them cry that evening as they needed to...

I was 18 when my first cat died (we'd had him for 12 years) and my mother the minister tried to have a family funeral for him. It was pretty bad.

Then again, she has baptized all of our cats, maybe she thought the funeral was a necessary end.

ShoogarBear
03-03-2006, 10:30 AM
My wife came and told me about it and realized she hadn't feed them in a week. I went to talk to her about it. Thinking she was going to be upset, all she told me was you should've seen the one eating the brains of the other one. Well i now was upset and told is that all you can say, etc.... No response and tried to change the subject.

You think i have a Jeffery Dalmer in the making?? :( :lol

:wow :wow

:lol

2Blonde
03-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Next Tuesday we are going to put one of our dogs to sleep. She has gotten old and sick. She can hardly walk, is in pain, and has now started losing control of her bladder. This is the 3rd dog that has been put down in my daughter's life. She takes it very hard. But that is because the first time was when my ex told her over the phone (she was only 7) while she & I were in Ohio at a wedding. He just called up and said "Hey, I took the dog to the vet today, she had cancer so I had her put to sleep" WTF!! He didn't even warn me. She gets off the phone and is hysterical and we have a wedding to attend later that day. Fucking asshole. :flipoff She cried for months. She never even knew the dog was sick.

Now our goldfish, Buster, was another story. We had him for five years he got to be about 5-6 inches long and was a fat thing. When he finally died, she insisted I keep in the freezer. He stayed there for about a year because my daughter wanted to have funeral for him but she kept putting off the date because she wasn't quite ready yet. Then one day we got dressed and went to get him and he was gone. Turned out her step-dad had cleaned out the freezer and tossed him. OOPS... She was pissed. :lol

tlongII
03-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Try writing Richard Gere for his perspective on pet gerbils.

MoSpur
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I would say explain to him that not all animals live forever, but that they are resting in a better place.

bdubya
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
What you do is, line up a few more rodents in front of him, and off them, one by one, with a knife or a hammer or something. After about a dozen, he oughta be used to it. :(

batman2883
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
can you turn the guinea pig into sausage links or bacon?

Duff McCartney
03-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Having a pet die sucks big time. I had to put one of my dogs puppies to sleep when he was only 4 months old...it was hard.

He kept having seizures and didn't eat. I didn't think I would cry at the vet but I did...I cried alot.