PDA

View Full Version : The Official Manu Ginobili Subpar Performance Thread

aaronstampler
03-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Anyway you slice it, I know Finley was hot in the 4th, Manu pretty much got unofficially benched tonight. Nobody has the guts to say it. The game after he plays only 10 mins vs the Knicks? It can't be a coincedence.

He hasn't been "our" Manu the whole year. He's been very reluctant to rebound the whole year, when he used to be good for 5 a game last year. His assists are down too. But the biggest thing is the explosion is just not there. The aggressiveness isn't there. The first step isn't there. More and more, he's trying to score off 3 pointers, being lazy, or just doing Parker-like teardrops six feet from the basket.

He hasn't dunked in like two months, and most of the time when he's on the floor, he isn't looking for the ball, isn't looking to get involved, he's just there. It's like he's playing scared. Ever since the Miami ankle injury, he's been a completely different player. He was just starting to be more aggressive, and then after the latest injury, he's a complete softie now.
The way he's playing right now, if it was like this in Italy, Pop wouldn't have brought him over to the NBA. He isn't anything like the player he was last year. All his aggressiveness and explosion is gone, and I'm wondering where it went.

Pop seems to think he's pretty healthy now, so it must be a mental thing. I think Pop is laying down the gauntlet to Manu. If you're not gonna play like you can, I'm not gonna put you on the floor. For all his talk about Manu's wild playing "driving him nuts" I think Pop really likes it and appreciated the energy it gave his team. Now when he's on the floor, that spark isn't the same. I think Pop is trying to challenge him with this move. And hopefully Manu will respond.

Brutalis
03-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Maybe Manu is trying to be safe because his ankle isnt full strength..

ChumpDumper
03-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Hmm, I didn't see a quote to that effect.

You should change the title.

TMTTRIO
03-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I was watching the news the other day and they asked Manu about his health and he said it was still bothering him on the court and is not allowing him to do what he usually does. He just said that right now he's trying to get healthy and that he has a long way to go.

Peter
03-03-2006, 03:32 AM
The Spurs v. Health is going to be the most important series of the season.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-03-2006, 03:45 AM
As it is every season we've had our Duncan

Kori Ellis
03-03-2006, 03:48 AM
I was watching the news the other day and they asked Manu about his health and he said it was still bothering him on the court and is not allowing him to do what he usually does. He just said that right now he's trying to get healthy and that he has a long way to go.

True. That was two games ago, so I don't think he's gotten healthy since then. He said he doesn't have the lift or strength back yet but he's coming along. So by playoff time, he should be Super Manu again.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2006, 03:50 AM
Being able to battle with the other contenders while battling the injury bug is impressive.

This team still has upside.

Lots of it.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
03-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I agree with most of what you said, and believe it or not, I think Pop should bench Manu until he wakes up. Just to make him realize that it's ok to be scared of serious injuries so late in the regular season, but that he needs to start gainning rhythm and agressiveness for the playoffs. Send him to the bench, not to scare him or to punish him, but to make him notice that he needs to start playing more aggressive. Finley is playing better right now, so it fits perfectly. Hell, even Barry is showing more hustle than Manu.

But, I'm confident that by the time the playoffs start some things will happen for sure:

-Manu will be Super Manu.
-TD will be TD.
-Parker will be this year's Tony, attacking the basket more, shooting less 3s.
-Finley and Horry will be in Big Shot Mode.
-The rest of the team will hustle and contribute a lot.

Oh, and the Mavs won't make it past Conference Semi Finals.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
03-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Being able to battle with the other contenders while battling the injury bug is impressive.

This team still has upside.

Lots of it.

Exactly, just imagine a healthy, dominant TD and an aggressive Manu last night. Can you spell blowout, Mr. Cuban?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Seriously, Manu is stinking up the joint. I agree it is probably either because he is still injured or because he is scared about getting injured again. If he is still injured, then perhaps Pop should bench him until he is fully recovered, however if the problem is him being scared, I say either he shapes up, or I say bench his ass as a wake up call! You my boy Manu, but damn!

EDIT: DAMN! I missed my 3000th post http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif I wonder which one it was

orhe
03-03-2006, 07:04 AM
obviously manu is injured...
some of his drives he was able to get to the rim but his lift wasn't there. his two drives in the third quarter he used a semi hook w/ so little elevation. the first one which he made he was so crafty that the mavs weren't able to react. Fine he might not have needed to jump... but the next drive he was free of his defender and he tried the semihook again when he normally would just go over the top... he is really INJURED

Chris
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Manu looked good against Memphis.

samikeyp
03-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Once he gets the hair back...all will be well.

101A
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I think Manu is on a short leash - Spurs don't need him to score, penetrate and create havoc right now; but they do need him to stay in game shape/in the rotation.

Spurs are getting what they need - W's, and limited injuries to finish off this extended preseason.

It's all about health in the playoffs - this team DOES have serious upside from what it has shown, and that is simply scary for the rest of the league.

carina_gino20
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
i agree with most of the points and could only hope that Manu's recent slump is really just with the health thing.

but in the point of view of someone who can't gauge a player's performance because I can't watch the games here (only some highlights), it's kind of disturbing or just plain weird when everyone else is lighting up the updates and boxscore except for manu.

remedy: an extra-large serving of SPAM..:lol

seriously, Go Spurs Go!

BigVee
03-03-2006, 09:59 AM
It is a combination of things. He isn't getting some of the calls he got last year, he is obviously hampered by injuries (the biggest factor), Tony has become a bigger part of the offense, Finley and Barry have played better of late, and he has had some tough luck. TPlus he is a team player and doesn't force shots to fill a stat sheet. Things go in cycles. But, for anyone to say he is soft, or lazy, or scared, or needs to step it up is the most absurd thing I have ever read.

SAGambler
03-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Manu admits that he is not 100%.

As long as the Ws are coming, keep him on the bench as much as possible. Let him get 100% by playoff time. That's when he will be most valuable. Of course, I am sure Pop is aware of what's going on with Manu, and that could be the reason his minutes have been reduced recently.

You can just tell something is still wrong. Even his free throws are way off base recently. It's like he just can't get the lift he needs.

Let him recoup. As long as Fin and Barry can come in and cover for him, I say rest him as much as possible before the playoffs begin. A rested and healthy Manu in the playoffs could equate to monster games.

Solid D
03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
It's obvious Manu is hurt and holding back his aggressive play. Who doesn't know that in here?

Is this thread a criticism of that?

boutons_
03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
What's strange about the Manu-is-hurt explanation that he has had some big games wreaking his usual havoc on offense and defense in this stretch where he's supposed to be hurt.

Solid D
03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
What's strange about the Manu-is-hurt explanation that he has had some big games wreaking his usual havoc on offense and defense in this stretch where he's supposed to be hurt.

So what's your theory?

boutons_
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I really don't know what's up with Manu. I accept his ankle and performance are not 100%, but it should be continuously getting better, like his game should be. His up/down games are mysterious.

BigZak
03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Manu admits that he is not 100%.

keep him on the bench as much as possible.

Let him get 100% by playoff time.

I am sure Pop is aware of what's going on with Manu,

You can just tell something is still wrong.

Let him recoup.

rest him as much as possible before the playoffs begin.

:tu

Nikos
03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Manu is probably just having a bad stretch. Remember last season when Duncan was out? This reminds me of that period in 2005.

diego
03-03-2006, 02:12 PM
i've never been a fan of the light switch theory. hopefully manu can start getting it together this month. its great that parker has picked up the scoring load but i'm still not entirely sold on his decision making and clutchness, plus manu is better than barry and finley at defending, drawing fouls and rebounding which will be important against detroit.

austinfan
03-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I really don't know what's up with Manu. I accept his ankle and performance are not 100%, but it should be continuously getting better, like his game should be. His up/down games are mysterious.

I think it's a combination of 1) still, maybe even subconsciously, worrying about reinjuring the foot, and 2) not having been able to get a real rhythm going because of the string of injuries. Manu is such an intuitive player, so much of his style of play comes from being in a groove, that if he doesn't have a chance to develop that rhythm, it's going to affect his play. It's kind of like a jazz musician who for some reason hasn't had the chance to rehearse much lately and so can't really improvise easily.

spurschick
03-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm going out on a limb that Manu goes off against Portland tonight. Call me a homer.

Sportman
03-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I agree about what people are saying about manu but i think there is no problem while tony and tim continue doing a good job. We dont have to forget that the real competition begins during playoffs and maybe that would be the "manu time" :elephant