PDA

View Full Version : Barry To Nuggets?

ducks
03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
The job description calls for a dependable three-point shooter who has playoff experience and can play the point if needed.

Someone such as Jon Barry.

Barry, waived by the Houston Rockets on Wednesday, is a strong candidate to join the Denver Nuggets, who are in desperate need of a perimeter shooter.

Barry, who played for the Nuggets in 2003-04, said he would welcome a return to Denver but plans to take a couple of days before deciding if he wants to continue his NBA career.

"I'm familiar with them, which is obviously a bonus," he said in a telephone interview. "It's a comfortable situation; that makes it attractive. It's not as much the team. It's if I feel I can do it.

"I'm not going to make a rash decision. It's very hard. One moment you feel that you absolutely want to do it, and the next moment you're hanging out with the kids in the backyard."

The Nuggets also have a strong interest in veteran Howard Eisley, whose agent Dan Fegan met with Denver general manager Kiki Vandeweghe on Wednesday.

One Nuggets source said Eisley could sign a 10-day contract within the next few days.

The picture likely will become clearer when Vandeweghe meets with Barry in Houston. Denver will be in town Friday to play the Rockets.

"Jon really has to come to the conclusion that he wants to do this," Vandeweghe said.

The Nuggets opened a roster spot Wednesday when they waived guard Charles Smith, who appeared in one game after being acquired as part of a four-team trade Feb. 23.

Wednesday was the last day a player could be waived and still remain eligible to be on a playoff roster.

"I appreciate the fact that they did it now, but I'm a little disappointed they didn't give him the chance he deserved," Smith's agent, Tony Dutt, said.

The Nuggets entered play Wednesday tied for last in the NBA in three-point shooting (.313). They also are in need of a third point guard as insurance for starter Andre Miller and backup Earl Boykins.

The list of possible additions includes Barry, Eisley, Rick Brunson, Fred Hoiberg, Jim Jackson and Wesley Person.

"There are a lot of guys on the board," Vandeweghe said.

Barry, an energetic veteran with plenty of playoff experience, has averaged 5.7 points and 2.2 assists while shooting .392 from three-point range in 14 seasons.

Slowed by foot and calf injuries, the 36-year-old appeared in only 20 games with the Rockets this season. He had played in only three games since Jan. 8 as Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy turned to Keith Bogans and Luther Head off the bench.

"I've got to be fair to whatever team does call me," Barry said. "I don't want them to expect something that I might not be able to give."

Barry, who has been to the playoffs each of the past nine seasons, averaged 6.2 points for Denver two years ago.

Former teammate Francisco Elson welcomed the opportunity to play with Barry again.

"We need a shooter out there on the perimeter," Elson said. "He can shoot. He's a guy that brings a lot of NBA experience. He could probably help us out."

The Nuggets would like to sign someone quickly, but Vandeweghe said the team will consider conducting workouts after returning from Houston.

The Nuggets also had targeted Tony Delk, who signed with the Pistons on Wednesday.

"They got in late," said Delk, adding that he would consider the Nuggets when he becomes a free agent this summer. "If they were a team that came on earlier, I probably would have considered them."