PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle close to becoming Pacers' coach.

Pooh
09-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Pacers near Carlisle deal

By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
September 2, 2003

All that's left is a signature on a contract for Rick Carlisle. When that's done, Carlisle will officially become coach of the Indiana Pacers.

As of late Monday night there was no press conference scheduled for today, Pacers spokesman David Benner said. The media alert, however, could be sounded at any time. Carlisle's agent and Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh were negotiating a deal late last week, before being interrupted by the long Labor Day weekend.

Carlisle spent last Thursday and Friday at Conseco Fieldhouse, interviewing and visiting with Pacers officials. He was tapped by Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird as the top choice to replace Isiah Thomas, who was fired last Wednesday after three seasons as coach.

"I'm sure right now they're just getting everything straightened out first. Plus, I wouldn't doubt they're waiting for O'Neal to come back from the tournament so that he can talk to Bird and Carlisle."

pacersrule03
09-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Go Carlisle! NBA Coach of the Year!:king

Pooh
09-02-2003, 07:28 PM
If they do as expected, I would also throw in Bird as executive of the year too.