PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Find A Scooter?

PM5K
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm looking for an electric scooter like this:

http://www.electricstar.org/images/big_360S_scooter.jpg

Any idea where I can find them at locally?

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Pepboys?

PM5K
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Pepboys?

Damn right, that sounds like a good idea, why didn't I think of it?

Any others though, just in case?

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.pepboys.com/transportation/novelty_scooters/electric.html

Mixability
03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
SW Military Drive........

seriously.

LITTLE MEXICO
where you can get a cellphone, a pitbull, and fresh mangos all within a block.
:lol

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Or the Flea market

PM5K
03-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah there is a flea market I had in mind, but other than that I wasn't too sure. I know Pep Boys has a bunch of that stuff.

I've looked at all the typical places, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, Conns (They used to have them) and a few other places.

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah there is a flea market I had in mind, but other than that I wasn't too sure. I know Pep Boys has a bunch of that stuff.

I've looked at all the typical places, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, Conns (They used to have them) and a few other places.

I think there was some law just passed banning these things

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Yep here it is

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/citycouncil/stories/MYSA021006.03B.Mini_motor_ban.1071cb88.html

Motorized scooters, pocket bikes banned

Web Posted: 02/10/2006 12:00 AM CST
Laura E. Jesse
Express-News Staff Writer

Putting the brakes on "toy" vehicles that have been zooming around some neighborhoods with greater frequency, the City Council approved an ordinance Thursday banning the motorized scooters, mini-motorbikes known as pocket bikes and neighborhood electric vehicles.

The new ordinance prohibits the use of such vehicles on streets, sidewalks and highways but allows them on private property.

Police Chief Albert Ortiz stressed that the ban does not apply to motorized wheelchairs used by people with disabilities.

"None of these will be mobility devices for the disabled," Ortiz said. "(Wheelchair users) are pedestrians and enjoy all the rights and privileges of pedestrians, including operating on a sidewalk."

Councilman Chip Haass said he sought the ordinance after city leaders from the East and West coasts spoke about the problem of pocket bikes at a recent conference.

"I thought, 'What on earth are you talking about?' I never heard of these things," Haass said, adding that he wanted the council to address the problem before a tragedy occurs.

Last year in San Antonio, 11 accidents with 12 injuries involved pocket bikes, with nine of those injured requiring treatment in a hospital.

Ortiz said patrol officers have become aware of the bikes' prevalence in some neighborhoods, but without a new law they couldn't do anything about them.

"Officers will now have an enforcement tool," he said.

The ordinance, which establishes a fine of up to $500 per violation, defines a motor-assisted scooter as a self-propelled device with at least two wheels in contact with the ground, a braking system, a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters, a deck allowing a person to stand or sit on the device and the ability to be propelled by human power alone.

Mini-motorbikes have an electric motor or internal combustion engine of less than 50 cubic centimeters and are typically 15 to 18 inches high. They are not considered mopeds or motorcycles.

Neighborhood electric vehicles look like a cross between a small car and a golf cart, but they typically have a top speed of 25 miles per hour. These vehicles are less common than the pocket bikes or scooters, Ortiz said.

The ordinance will still allow golf carts to be operated in neighborhoods if the occupants are going straight to or from the golf course. Scooters can be used in city parks on bike paths or trails with a sign that states they are allowed.

Children under age 15 must wear a helmet and be accompanied by an adult while operating any of the vehicles.

Nationally, between July 2003 and June 2004, children under age 15 made up two-thirds of emergency room visits from accidents involving scooters, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. During the same period, there were 10,015 emergency room visits because of motorized scooters.

The ordinance does not ban the use of the two-wheeled, self-balancing transportation device known as the Segway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

PM5K
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
I think there was some law just passed banning these things

Oddly enough I always thought it was illegal to ride any of these types of things on city streets, but they weren't, until now...

SpursWoman
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Wow ... I didn't know about that. Thanks...I was planning on getting one (the scooter) for my son. :wow

Taco
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow ... I didn't know about that. Thanks...I was planning on getting one (the scooter) for my son. :wow

Saved you a few $$

Buy him a new bike instead :spin

PM5K
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM

I still am!

I don't really even care, my kids already have a power wheels that I let them ride in the street under my supervision, I live in a neighborhood that's situated in a way that only people that live there drive though 95% of the time and it's pretty quiet, I'll supervise them with this one as well, with helmets also...

EDIT: The kid that rides the power wheels won't ride the scooter, he's too small...

2Blonde
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I have one that looks almost exactly like the one in the picture. I will sell it too you. It is sitting in my garage. My daughter's father bought it for her about a year and a half ago and she rode it for about a month and never could master it very well. She is a klutz. She kept falling and ended up messing up her knee. She brought it home to my house and it has been sitting in my garage ever since.

PM5K
03-03-2006, 09:40 PM
How much?

2Blonde
03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
How much?
I'll let you know tomorrow. I promised my husband I would watch a show with him tonight so I have to go right now, but I'll go out in the garage in the morning and get the info on the scooter and post it and figure out a fair CHEAP price.

PM5K
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Well let me know as soon as you can, I have some other ideas as well but would like to get one very soon.

;-)

PM5K
03-04-2006, 11:36 AM
The search continues.

Man I went everywhere yesterday, except the Southside as mentioned and that's probably where they have them, but I never drive over there and it's far as hell....

I did go to a flea market, some electric bikes and electric ride-ons for 3-4 year olds but no scooters.

I went to Northern Tools, some motorcycle shops, pawn shops, and even Pep Boys.

Pep Boys did have scooters but not the type I am looking for, more of the kind without a seat and headlight/blinkers, etc.

I thought these things were popular enough to find easily but I guess not...

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 12:09 PM
There is a place over by Wonder Bowl on Austin Highway, I think.

PM5K
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow. I promised my husband I would watch a show with him tonight so I have to go right now, but I'll go out in the garage in the morning and get the info on the scooter and post it and figure out a fair CHEAP price.

:depressed

2Blonde
03-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We have doing yard-work all (^*&% weekend. Hers is a Freedom Scooter 24Volt. The problem is I have to find the freaking key. She says it's in her room somewhere and her room is a level 4 bio-hazard. Tomorrow morning I will don a Hazmat suit and attempt to find it, but I can't promise anything. But if I find it, I'll be glad to sell it for $50

PM5K
03-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We have doing yard-work all (^*&% weekend. Hers is a Freedom Scooter 24Volt. The problem is I have to find the freaking key. She says it's in her room somewhere and her room is a level 4 bio-hazard. Tomorrow morning I will don a Hazmat suit and attempt to find it, but I can't promise anything. But if I find it, I'll be glad to sell it for $50

I'll take it, I'll send you a PM to get the information, if you can't find the key I'm sure I can work that out by getting rid of the key mechanism and adding a toggle switch.