PDA

View Full Version : Truth or Myth

1Parker1
03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Does drinking diet soda really cause cancer?

SpursWoman
03-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Everything causes cancer. :rolleyes :lol

Melmart1
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I agree with SW... Everything is bad for you. Even if you drank 10 gallons of diet soda a day, methinks there would be a dozen other things in your everyday life that would probably kill you faster.

1Parker1
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM

:lol I'm serious!! It was the weirdest thing. I was at standing in line at Subway the other day, and some old dude was standing in line behind me. As I grabbed a bottle of Diet Pepsi out of the fridge, he's like to me "Young lady, do you want to die of cancer? That stuff can kill you and it's bad for your bones."

I just looked at him and said, "Ok" but it got me thinking. Because I've heard that before too...

Extra Stout
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
:lol I'm serious!! It was the weirdest thing. I was at standing in line at Subway the other day, and some old dude was standing in line behind me. As I grabbed a bottle of Diet Pepsi out of the fridge, he's like to me "Young lady, do you want to die of cancer? That stuff can kill you and it's bad for your bones."

I just looked at him and said, "Ok" but it got me thinking. Because I've heard that before too...
Regular soda will kill you faster.

sa_butta
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
It has to do with the sweetner in diet soda, but only in heavy doses does it cause cancer

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/hl/nutr/food/alert08192004.jsp

1Parker1
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
"A 12-ounce can of diet soda contains about 225 milligrams of aspartame and a packet of Equal provides about 40 milligrams. In order to reach the ADI, a 150-pound adult would have to ingest about 15 diet sodas or 85 packets of Equal each day," Sass says.

Oh good, I barely even drink one can of Diet Soda a day...! And I only started drinking Diet Soda about a year ago...because unfortunately it's the only soda we have at work...

timvp
03-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Regular soda will kill you faster.

:tu

2Blonde
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Here is an interesting link that may clear up the confusion for you.

Cancer Causes (http://www.enduringvision.com/archives/everything_causes_cancer.htm)

helwardman
03-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Personally, I will NEVER drink diet sodas.
Aspartame (the sweetening agent) has for a long time been a restricted substance for airline pilots, meaning that commercial pilots are NOT allowed to ingest aspartame before piloting a plane. It has proven links to depression, mood swings, schizophrenia and all kinds of nasty things. The FDA passed it for general consumption on the back of years of bribes and back-handers. Go to www.nexusmagazine.com - they will tell you all about it and a lot of other suppressed information.

ObiwanGinobili
03-03-2006, 06:30 PM
I alway thought that sweet n' low casuses holes in your brain.
mostly becasue dupont advises thier employees not to use it.

and pilots cannont fly if they have drinken or otherwise ingested any.

but i've never been sure if that was an urban legend or what.

desflood
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Too much caffeine has been proven to hamper calcium absorption, hence that statement. But, it takes a lot to do that.

AlamoSpursFan
03-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Does drinking diet soda really cause cancer?

I sure hope not, because Black Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke is the BOMB!

Never thought I'd say that about a Diet Soda, but Mr. High Blood Sugar almost cost me my job.

Diet Pepsi sucks ass, BTW...and I'm a Pepsico employee, so I can say that. (At least I hope I can... :lol)

SpursWoman
03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
We saw on Dr. Know that aspertame, while it does NOT contain it itself, in large doses can cause a chemical reaction in your stomach that produces fromaldihyde.

Interesting stuff.

*takes a swig of diet Big Red* :fro

Summers
03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
How Aspartame Became Legal (http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm)

Some sites with info if you're curious:

www.sweetpoison.com
www.dorway.com

spurs=bling
03-03-2006, 08:35 PM

wasn't there also a study that white bread causes cancer

hussker
03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
How Aspartame Became Legal (http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm)

Some sites with info if you're curious:

www.sweetpoison.com
www.dorway.com

Lesson ONE:

Trust NOT the DOT.COM

BigZak
03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
It has proven links to depression, mood swings, schizophrenia...

so that's what it was...

spurs=bling
03-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Lesson ONE:

Trust NOT the DOT.COM

WHY????

hussker
03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
DOT COMs are for sales/ads...COM = commerce/commercial...Find some .edu/.org sites and those are more reliable.

Most of the stuff you read about concerning this and other stuff is the anecdotal information.

New England Journal of Medcine is a good site.

The Calcium leeching is not anecdotal BUT has ZIP to do with Aspartame. It has to do with the fact that Calcium and Phosphorun are chemical twins that the body cannot distinguis. lots of PHOSPHORIC ACID in sodas. Bone takes it up, at the expense of Calcium (that is a simple way to put it)

Just one example.

spurs=bling
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
DOT COMs are for sales/ads...COM = commerce/commercial...Find some .edu/.org sites and those are more reliable.

Most of the stuff you read about concerning this and other stuff is the anecdotal information.

The Calcium leeching is not anecdotal BUT has ZIP to do with Aspartame. It has to do with the fact that Calcium and Phosphorun are chemical twins that the body cannot distinguis. lots of PHOSPHORIC ACID in sodas. Bone takes it up, at the expense of Calcium (that is a simple way to put it)

Just one example.

Aight foo'

hussker
03-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Aight foo'

YO

Summers
03-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Just one example.

This is a study I found at an .edu site: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1998/aspartame-0916.html

"Mood, aggression and selected cognitive functions were tested" Ooh-wee... that sounds like some serious hard-core science.

"During a four-month period" Are you kidding me? Four months?? I could drink bleach for 4 months and probably not have significant changes in my "mood, aggression and selected cognitive functions".

Come to think of it, why would MIT lend their good name to a visiting scientist to conduct such a useless experiment? Oh... "This work was supported by a grant from the NutraSweet Co. to the Center for Brain Sciences and Metabolism Charitable Trust."

Summers
03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
And, no, I'm not a complete conspiracy theorist. Yes, most the sites that warn about the dangers of aspartame come off a bit like the faked-moon-landing sites. They're just anecdotal evidence. For me, it was enough to remove artificial sweeteners from my diet. But speaking of anecdotal evidence, here's mine. I began drinking diet Coke about 3 years ago as part of losing weight. After the third or so time someone mentioned to me that diet sodas interfere with conception (actually, it was Kori), I googled it and came across the info I posted above. I cut the stuff out of my diet on October 21. I got pregnant in November. Could be coincidence. But I'm never touching the stuff again.

hussker
03-03-2006, 09:04 PM
This is a study I found at an .edu site: http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1998/aspartame-0916.html

"Mood, aggression and selected cognitive functions were tested" Ooh-wee... that sounds like some serious hard-core science.

"During a four-month period" Are you kidding me? Four months?? I could drink bleach for 4 months and probably not have significant changes in my "mood, aggression and selected cognitive functions".

Come to think of it, why would MIT lend their good name to a visiting scientist to conduct such a useless experiment? Oh... "This work was supported by a grant from the NutraSweet Co. to the Center for Brain Sciences and Metabolism Charitable Trust."

DATED...check the NIH, there are some studies that show SOME anecdotes and relationships but much of the data is scatterred about. Come hard with some good, significant p. values and reliable Confidence intervals and we can break down the stats. MIT usually does a good job with those. For every statistical analysis you can find to support your effort, you can find another to blow it off. Trust me, I read stats all day! I HATE SPSS!!!!!

hussker
03-03-2006, 09:07 PM
And, no, I'm not a complete conspiracy theorist. Yes, most the sites that warn about the dangers of aspartame come off a bit like the faked-moon-landing sites. They're just anecdotal evidence. For me, it was enough to remove artificial sweeteners from my diet. But speaking of anecdotal evidence, here's mine. I began drinking diet Coke about 3 years ago as part of losing weight. After the third or so time someone mentioned to me that diet sodas interfere with conception (actually, it was Kori), I googled it and came across the info I posted above. I cut the stuff out of my diet on October 21. I got pregnant in November. Could be coincidence. But I'm never touching the stuff again.

Could be coincidence indeed, but like I tell my patients ALL THE TIME...your chance of getting (STATED CONDITION/DISEASE, ETC...) is rare, but...

IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU IT IS 100%!!! You know what I mean?

I tell my patients everyday when they ask me WHAT ifs and probabilities that I can only tell them ONE thing for certain: That they will, indeed, be dead someday.

Summers
03-03-2006, 09:09 PM
DATED...check the NIH, there are some studies that show SOME anecdotes and relationships but much of the data is scatterred about. Come hard with some good, significant p. values and reliable Confidence intervals and we can break down the stats. MIT usually does a good job with those. For every statistical analysis you can find to support your effort, you can find another to blow it off. Trust me, I read stats all day! I HATE SPSS!!!!!

I know you posted this before I conceded that I don't know everything. :lol I'll be the first person to say there's no good hard statistical data on the bad stuff aspartame does. But does it not bother you that the study I cited above is the best they can do to "prove" it's safe?

ObiwanGinobili
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Could be coincidence indeed, but like I tell my patients ALL THE TIME...your chance of getting (STATED CONDITION/DISEASE, ETC...) is rare, but...

IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU IT IS 100%!!! You know what I mean?

I tell my patients everyday when they ask me WHAT ifs and probabilities that I can only tell them ONE thing for certain: That they will, indeed, be dead someday.

i hear there is alot of hepatitis in the tdcj.. is this true?

hussker
03-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I know you posted this before I conceded that I don't know everything. :lol I'll be the first person to say there's no good hard statistical data on the bad stuff aspartame does. But does it not bother you that the study I cited above is the best they can do to "prove" it's safe?

Yes, but I can find others to slam that one, so it's all lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I think there was a Far Side cartoon once that had the caption "Life on Earth Causes Cancer" SO...I do not get too wrapped up in all the stuff. People ask me about supplements EVERY day. I give them reference that supports both pro and con. That way THEY can make their own decision and not rely on me to be their lottery ticket when they get sick and put their lawyers on me.

hussker
03-03-2006, 09:15 PM
i hear there is alot of hepatitis in the tdcj.. is this true?

YEP! I have about 50-60% of my patients with Hep C at varying stages. I think I have about 100 on the 6 or 12 month treatment protocols right now.

Summers
03-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes, but I can find others to slam that one, so it's all lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I think there was a Far Side cartoon once that had the caption "Life on Earth Causes Cancer" SO...I do not get too wrapped up in all the stuff. People ask me about supplements EVERY day. I give them reference that supports both pro and con. That way THEY can make their own decision and not rely on me to be their lottery ticket when they get sick and put their lawyers on me.

Slam an MIT scientific experiment? :lol

But seriously, I'm with you on that, and that's really all I'm doing. I'm not trying to be an advocate against diet coke. I'm just saying, here's what I found, here's what happened to me, you have the info, do with it as you please. :)

hussker
03-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Slam an MIT scientific experiment? :lol

But seriously, I'm with you on that, and that's really all I'm doing. I'm not trying to be an advocate against diet coke. I'm just saying, here's what I found, here's what happened to me, you have the info, do with it as you please. :)

yep! I agree entirely with ya! And believe me, if you saw the entire design of some of these SO CALLED experiments, you would die!

A prime examople is the Seldane Allegra controversy in the mid to late 90s...

The bottom line is, the Drug CO knew that there were untoward side effects with Seldane, and those were well published. RARE, but published. JUST as Seldane was going Generic...VOILA! Allegra, which is basically Seldane without the metabolite that caused the problems, appeared.

The SAME drug co that produced and studied/marketed/patented Seldane, did the same with Allegra. Talk about $$$$ and underhandedness! There is always secondary gain somewhere for these commercial businesses!

1Parker1
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Wow, interesting stuff. I never even heard about the affects of diet soda on conception (not that I'm planning a family anytime soon).

Still, I'm curious, how many people on the forum drink diet soda instead of regular soda?

I know in the end both are bad for you, but in my case, sometimes I just crave caffene and need something to wake me up, and since I despise coffee, soda is the way to go :tu

spurs=bling
03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
damn this turned into Dr.Husskers Medical class

Horry For 3!
03-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't drink any kind of soda.

I only drink gatorade, water and milk, sometimes orange juice.

SpursWoman
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
I very rarely drink soda ... I got out of the habit a few years ago. Every once in a while I'll buy a bottle of Diet Big Red or Diet Dr. Pepper .... take a few drinks and then give it to my kids. :drunk

CheapBastard
03-04-2006, 07:25 AM
I only drink Hill Country Fare soda. I love their variety.

angel_luv
03-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't know if diet soda causes cancer but drinking it is not worth the risk. Nasty stuff!

ObiwanGinobili
03-04-2006, 10:09 AM
I drink maybe 2 sodas a week and they are regualr sodas 99% of the time.

If i need acaffiene I will usually have goffee of tea.
I love tea.
earl gray.