View Full Version : Aggy switches to Nickle, Baylor licks chops

mookie2001
03-03-2006, 08:03 PM
http://www.aggiesports.com/stories/030206/football_20060302050.php

Updated 6:22 AM on Thursday, March 2, 2006
Franchione says Ags are changing defense

By ROBERT CESSNA
Eagle Sports Writer

The Texas A&M football team, which will open spring drills Friday, will defensively switch to a 4-2-5 base alignment - four defensive linemen, two linebackers and five defensive backs.

Head coach Dennis Franchione, in preparation for his fourth season, has brought in three new defensive assistants - coordinator Gary Darnell, safeties coach Bill Clay and cornerbacks coach Van Malone - to facilitate the change.

http://www.aggiesports.com/images/0302/8186_300.jpg (http://www.aggiesports.com/images/0302/8186_400.jpg) click to zoom in
Eagle Photo/Dave McDermand
A&M has added assistant coaches Bill Clay, Gary Darnell and Van Malone to improve the defense, while Bob DeBesse will coach wide receivers. Darnell is the defensive coordinator.
"Really, for the most part, our defensive staff is kind of on the same page," said Franchione, who introduced his new defensive coaches along with wide receivers coach Bob DeBesse to the media Wednesday afternoon. "They were all hired with a particular direction in mind once Gary was hired."

Malone, who was hired earlier this week, was on Darnell's staff at Western Michigan.

Darnell said at this level you can't be coaching coaches you bring in.

"I expect Van Malone to walk in and tell me things about what we're doing, and he can," Darnell said. "I certainly expect Bill Clay to walk in and tell me what's going on, and he certainly can. And certainly [defensive line coach] Stan Eggen can. That's the kind of staff I think you're supposed to have at this level."

The Aggies taught out of the 4-3 in Franchione's first three seasons, but former defensive coordinator Carl Torbush said he didn't run a 4-3 defense, but a multiple defense.

Franchione said the biggest defensive change will be the coverage.

"We're seeing far more one-back sets and far more need to be in nickel situations [5 defensive backs] in today's college football than [there are] two-back sets [where we need] more people in the box," Franchione said.

Franchione said this is the basic defense he ran at Texas Christian (1998-2000).

"This is going to put more speed on the field," Franchione said.

how will Baylor counter?
this years Baylor-A&M game should be a classic

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
You realize we played the 4-2-5 pretty much all of the second half of last year, right?

mookie2001
03-03-2006, 08:06 PM
how stupid of Fraudchione and Darnell then

it makes them look like fools declaring something real aggy already knows

hussker
03-03-2006, 08:09 PM
how stupid of Fraudchione and Darnell then

it makes them look like fools declaring something real aggy already knows

The difference is, this year they actually plan to DEFEND...unlike 05

mookie2001
03-03-2006, 08:09 PM
for instance, had they had this speed on the field versus Texas State, Texas State Star QB would have thrown for less than 380 yds

Brutalis
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
they havent even started spring drills? sec schools started a week ago.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
lol
mookie you slay me

mookie2001
03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
offseason positioning, recruiting battles, baylor-A&M game isGon turn out to be large