PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Chris Sheridan Awards

Despot
03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
You must have insider to view.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2353264&name=sheridan_chris

Most Valuable Player: Tony Parker, Spurs. He's the best player on his team with Tim Duncan operating below 100 percent all season with a foot injury, and the prediction here is he'll lead San Antonio to the league's best record when all is said and done. Runners-up: Steve Nash, Suns; Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs.

Rookie of the Year: Chris Paul, Hornets. This race was over a long time ago, so now it's time for Paul to prove he can continue to keep New Orleans/Oklahoma City franchise among the top eight in the West. Runners-up: Ray Felton, Bobcats; Charlie Villanueva, Raptors.

Coach of the Year: Avery Johnson, Mavericks. We never liked him that much as a player, but he always got the job done. He's much more likeable as a coach, and he's still getting the job done. Watch to see whether he keeps his team surging after their disheartening loss Thursday night at San Antonio. Runners up: Flip Saunders, Pistons; Mike D'Antoni, Suns.

Most Improved: Boris Diaw, Suns. We're running out of superlatives to describe this guy, who landed in the perfect system to utilize his talents. So we'll make a bold prediction: He'll be as big of an impact player in the playoffs as anyone in the West. Runners-up: Mike James, Raptors; Kevin Martin, Kings.

Defensive Player of the Year: Bruce Bowen, Spurs. The job he did against Dirk Nowitzki on Thursday night was masterful, and he does it every night. Oh, he's also leading the league in 3-point accuracy, too, and he'll be named Sunday to the U.S. national team. Runners-up: Rasheed Wallace, Pistons; Kobe Bryant, Lakers.

Sixth Man Award: Speedy Claxton, Hornets. There is no clear-cut leader of the pack here, but one player who will qualify because of his lack of starts until February is Charlie Villanueva. Check out the numbers he has been putting up over the past five weeks. Runner-up: Mo Williams, Bucks.

Executive of the Year: Otis Smith, Magic. It's really too soon to tell, but for now we'll tab Smith for ridding the franchise of Steve Francis' contract and for picking up Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic on the cheap. If Trevor Ariza ever plays to his potential, he'll be a keeper for someone. Runners up: Jeff Bower, Hornets; Kiki Vandeweghe, Nuggets.

At first I thought it was rediculous to consider Tony an MVP candidate, but lately I have been thinking about it more, and, with TD's diminished performance, and our current record, while it is extremely unlikely for him to win, I think he may get more than a few votes. Who knows, if we take over best record in the league, and Tony ups his performance even more, the last 25 games or so are when MVP's are made, so there is still a chance. At any rate, it's nice for Tony to be creating buzz so late in the season.

And I see Bowen's name popping up more and more on these lists, this may be the year.

lilmads
03-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Go Tony and Bowen!:)
I highly doubt TP will be MVP but its awesome that he's even being considered that!:)
Bowen's being Bowen and finally getting the recognition for it hopefully this year

spursfaninla
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, bishop, you do.

:lol

George W Bush
03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't much like the French,
but I vote TP as MVP cuz he lives in Texas.

I'm George W Bush and I approve this message :tu

Sec24Row7
03-04-2006, 11:53 AM
The Pistons are going to make Tony shoot jumpers and he is going to suffer...

That is if we get to the finals...

And they do...

Other than that... he is going to have a great playoffs against the Mavs/Suns/Lakers etc

JMarkJohns
03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Me thinks his MVP choice is just to draw in readers. It's outlandish, unlikely and not a common opinion among many readers. It's shocking even to Spurs fans, to a large extent.

And GD it, Saunders does NOT deserve to be in the running for Coach of the Year. He's suffered ZERO setbacks and has basically guided a two-time Finals team to a 60+ in mark.

Again, how is that impressive?

I still say D'Antoni is finally living up to the hype and deserves the award this year, followed by Avery Johnson, Byron Scott and Mike Dunleavy.

Solid D
03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree that TP as MVP is not that likely. Take him out of the lineup entirely and the Spurs would struggle, just like the Suns would struggle without Nash. The top 2 stars last season for the Spurs are hurting, so they would struggle even more without Parker than normal. I'd say Billups, Nash or Nowitzki are at the top of the list.

On Coach of the Year, Flip Saunders would have his mettle tested if he loses one of his starting 5, particularly so with Billups or Rasheed.

D'Antoni and Avery Johnson would be top candidates but I still think Gregg Popovich is the best Head Coach right now because he is pacing his team, he's making great adjustments, he's coming off a championship season which brings new motivational challenges, and why not give coach of the year to the best coach once in a while?

Obstructed_View
03-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Me thinks his MVP choice is just to draw in readers. It's outlandish, unlikely and not a common opinion among many readers. It's shocking even to Spurs fans, to a large extent.

And GD it, Saunders does NOT deserve to be in the running for Coach of the Year. He's suffered ZERO setbacks and has basically guided a two-time Finals team to a 60+ in mark.

I still say D'Antoni is finally living up to the hype and deserves the award this year, followed by Avery Johnson, Byron Scott and Mike Dunleavy.
And of course your unbiased pick for MVP is Steve Nash. :rolleyes

timvp
03-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Even a 50% Tim Duncan is still better than TP or Manu. Manu wasn't the MVP of the Finals last year and Parker isn't any kind of MVP this year.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM

I know, everybody picked the Pistons to win 60+ games and easily dominate the EC...

Or maybe not...

picnroll
03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
In terms of unexpected success I think Scott has to get consideration for COY. Without Amare D'Antoni has surprised. And Pop is in the mix, to me, given the record and the subpar year of his two biggest studs. Flip with four all-stars. Damn a couple of more losses and he may be underachieving.

Despot
03-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I know, everybody picked the Pistons to win 60+ games and easily dominate the EC...

Or maybe not...

I wouldn't say everyone, but alot of people believed the Pistons had the talent and ability to win 60+, their motivation to do that in the regular season is what was questioned. And yes, even with all the talk about Miami before the season, most observers chose Detroit to win the east. Is Detroit unhappy being the favorite? I know they like being the underdog, but now that Detroit has returned to the land of the mortals, at least for awhile, fans are concocting disrespect. I really mean no offense, just that they have been the darlings of the NBA all season, and then Dallas steals some sunshine, and Detroit goes back to the disrespect angle.

Sportman
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Oh itīs very difficult to say if tony should be the MVP, i think that rip hamilton should be considered too, he is having an awesome season and i think his stats are better.

cs100
03-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Props to Bruce. This is not news to Spurs fans though. Maybe with the national TV coverage of the Mavs game, others will see how great a defensive player that Bruce is.

It would be difficult to make a case for Tony as MVP over players like Nash, but he has been the MVP for the SPurs this season. Without his play, we would not have the record we have. Timmy will always be our perennial MVP, but Tony has stepped up at the right time to help our team.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I love Parker, and I'm proud of the job he's done this year. That said, without Duncan on the floor, he is stoppable.