View Full Version : 2010 NBA Draft Insight

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 12:11 PM
:D

Basketball: Warren, Reagan meet once more

Web Posted: 03/04/2006 12:07 AM CST
Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer

Twelve months later, Warren star Ben Uzoh still can't forget the sting of losing to Reagan in last year's Region IV-5A championship.

"They ended our season," Uzoh said. "I still remember the look on our seniors' faces. I still remember that feeling."

Thanks to a pair of lopsided regional semifinals Friday at the UTSA Convocation Center, Uzoh and the Warriors have an opportunity for revenge, and Reagan has an improbable opportunity to reach the state tournament for the second consecutive season.

Reagan crushed Pharr-San Juan-Alamo North 63-39, after which the Warriors pounded Harlingen 66-53 to set up a rematch in the final at noon today.

"They've been playing really well of late," said Uzoh, who scored 29 points before fouling out. "Nobody expected them to be here. There's nobody I'd rather play."

Uzoh scored 23 points in Warren's 58-45 nondistrict victory over Reagan on Dec. 6.

Both teams set up the rematch for a state tournament berth with games that followed identical scenarios — the Rio Grande Valley visitors took early leads before their San Antonio foes took command.

Trailing 14-9 late in the first quarter, Warren (29-9) took a 15-point advantage entering the fourth after hitting its first eight shots of the second half.

The Rattlers (27-11) trailed 18-14 midway through the second quarter of their game before outscoring North 49-21 the rest of the way.

Hampered by foul trouble throughout, Reagan's Cory Griffin scored 14 of his 16 points in the first half. Brandon Thompson and Nick Metzger continued their recent solid play with 14 and 12 points, respectively.

Reagan, which won a tiebreaker to claim the third and final playoff berth in District 26-5A, has won nine straight.

"In some ways (I was worried), but guys have been stepping up in the playoffs," Griffin said. "I was confident they'd do it again."

North (30-6) was at its best when it slowed down the tempo and pounded the ball inside to 6-foot-5 center J.C. Herebia.

In the opening four minutes of the second quarter, the Raiders manufactured four easy layups for Herebia just by running their offense.

The fourth gave North an 18-14 lead with 4:18 minutes left in the half.

At that point, the Rattlers were ripe for an uppercut. But instead of receiving it, they delivered a 10-0 run to finish the half. Metzger started the surge, stealing a lazy inbounds pass and spinning in for a layup.

Despite the lopsided margin, the Rattlers had a brief scare midway through the third when Griffin picked up his third and fourth fouls in quick succession.

They hardly missed him. Metzger finished the period with eight points, then Thompson scored eight in the fourth as Reagan sped away.

"We had everything we wanted," North coach Jaime Gongora said. "Griffin was in foul trouble, (Phillip) Wilson was off, we had the lead. We just broke down

Horry For 3!
03-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Damn, I wanted to go to the Weimar vs San Antonio Cole game last night, it would have been a good one too. Cole won in OT by 3.

Horry For 3!
03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Reagan is good, I'd expect them to beat Warren again.

Solid D
03-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Hampered by foul trouble throughout, Reagan's Cory Griffin scored 14 of his 16 points in the first half. Brandon Thompson and Nick Metzger continued their recent solid play with 14 and 12 points, respectively.

Reagan, which won a tiebreaker to claim the third and final playoff berth in District 26-5A, has won nine straight.

"In some ways (I was worried), but guys have been stepping up in the playoffs," Griffin said. "I was confident they'd do it again."

Has Cory Griffin (former Spurs' Bruise Brother Paul Griffin's son) posted here before? I think at least one of his friends has.

Solid D
03-04-2006, 02:36 PM

Horry For 3!
03-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Warren beat Reagan by 2, 43-41

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/brackets/basketball/boys/index.html

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 03:17 PM
We just got home from the game.

WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOING TO AUSTIN NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:smokin

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 03:19 PM
Reagan is good, I'd expect them to beat Warren again.

Reagan is overrated.

The first all white basketball team that I have ever seen.

Horry For 3!
03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Reagan is overrated.

The first all white basketball team that I have ever seen.
If they have won that many times, I don't think their program is overrated :lol Plus the only lost by 2

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
If they have won that many times, I don't think their program is overrated :lol Plus the only lost by 2

Reagan + Refs lost by 2.

timvp
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Cory Griffin > Beno Uzoh

BrianBird
03-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Reagan overrated? For at least 3 of its 7 years in existance its teams have been in the top 10 if not top 5 in the state. They've been one of the top programs in all of Texas since entering district competition in 2000-01. Odd thing about their success is IMO the teams from 01-03 were much more talented than the Reagan teams of the past two, but obviously the latter has been more successful.

Sequ, i guess the spurs are overrated because they own a roster thats 45% white.
Don't resent the Reagan kids just because your kids go or will go to some ghetto school on the bad side of town.

All in all, Reagan has been (IIRC) the most dominant 5A basketball program in San Antonio since its inception into district play.

BTW, Cory isn't at the level his brother Ryan was at this stage. Just remember: If you fuck with the Griffin's, you're likely to find Paul's fist through your chest :makemyday

Just don't talk about Reagan football :drunk

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Reagan's basketball team is 99.5% white.

Sequ, i guess the spurs are overrated because they own a roster thats 45% white.
Don't resent the Reagan kids just because your kids go or will go to some ghetto school on the bad side of town.

I take offense to that. Where are you from Brian Bird? Reagan? WGAF.

I went to West Campus. Southside all the way. We love white boys from the "Good" side..... :lol

If Reagan was in the other bracket, they wouldn't have made it past New Braunfels. 4 games ago.

VLVH.

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Cory Griffin > Beno Uzoh

:lol

We're not talking about fishing.

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 11:13 PM
BTW, Cory isn't at the level his brother Ryan was at this stage. Just remember: If you fuck with the Griffin's, you're likely to find Paul's fist through your chest

What was the purpose of this comment?

Solid D
03-04-2006, 11:14 PM
I think BrianBird makes some good points. He actually mentioned some facts in his post.

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 11:14 PM
All in all, Reagan has been (IIRC) the most dominant 5A basketball program in San Antonio since its inception into district play.

Was.

SequSpur
03-04-2006, 11:17 PM
I think BrianBird makes some good points. He actually mentioned some facts in his post.

Yeah, that unless you go to Reagan you're in the fuckin ghetto?

And that Mr. Griffin is sometype of asskicker or something?

Reagan shoots 3s. They have no inside game, they don't rebound and they get alot of calls.