PDA

View Full Version : Horry docked 2 games

tw05baller
03-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Horry docked pair of games

Web Posted: 03/04/2006 12:47 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

It didn't take long for Robert Horry's cell phone to start filling with messages Friday morning. Big Shot Rob, apparently, had earned a new nickname.

advertisement

"Everyone was calling me Mike Tyson," Horry said.

Horry's nibble — or gumming, depending on who you ask — of Dallas guard Jerry Stackhouse on Thursday night also earned him something else: a suspension.

The NBA suspended Horry on Friday for two games for his actions during the altercation with Stackhouse and for making contact with official Dick Bavetta. Horry, who will miss tonight's game against Portland and Monday's against the Lakers in Los Angeles, also will lose $75,000 in salary.

Spurs officials were disappointed with the league's decision.

More coverage
Video: Horry involved in altercation with Mavs' Stackhouse
Shout out: Give your thoughts on Robert Horry
Saturday: Spurs vs. Trail Blazers
David Kendrick: Saturday's NBA Preview

"While we understand the importance of the situation," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "we don't agree with the severity of the suspension or the consistency in the execution of the punishment."

The incident occurred with 1:02 remaining in the Spurs' 98-89 victory over the Mavericks after Horry and Stackhouse became entangled near Dallas' basket. Stackhouse appeared to shove his forearm into the face of Horry, who clamped his mouth around Stackhouse's arm.

Unlike Tyson, who chomped off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear in a 1997 heavyweight fight, Horry said he never bit Stackhouse.

"When you haven't been playing, you have a lot of emotion and stuff," said Horry, who was appearing in his first game in nearly three weeks. "I almost reverted back to my old days when you're in the schoolyard fighting with somebody. They grab you around the neck, so you just get out the best way you can.

"He had his arm around my shoulder, and I was trying to get loose. It was like, 'Let me go, or I'm going to bite you.' So he let me go."

Horry later shook hands with Stackhouse and told him he never intended to bite him. He also apologized publicly after the game. Stackhouse said he didn't feel Horry clamp down with his teeth.

Horry also was punished for pushing away Bavetta, who was trying to separate the two players, and grabbing him by the arm. He later tried to wrap Bavetta in a hug and joke with him, but the damage apparently already was done.

Buford said Horry's actions may have been "misinterpreted."

Though Horry has a good relationship with most officials, his suspension comes two days after a USA Today story quoted the director of the referees' union as saying the league's punishment for players who abuse officials is lax.

"Our greatest fear is that we're a step away from a referee being physically assaulted," Lamell McMorris, executive director of the National Basketball Referees Association, told the paper. McMorris also said "an environment of hostility" exists in the league.

After Thursday's game, Stackhouse criticized Bavetta in a profanity-laced tirade.

"(Expletive) Bavetta," Stackhouse said. "I'm tired of his (expletive). It's like the game is about him."

Stackhouse was fined $30,000 for the comments — less than half of what Horry will lose — but was not suspended. The NBA also upgraded his personal foul against Horry to a flagrant 1 penalty.

Horry's suspension comes as he is trying to work his way back into the lineup after missing 15 games over the previous six weeks. He was initially diagnosed as having a lower abdominal strain on his left side, but when the pain moved right and down to his groin, the team's medical staff also noticed his hips weren't aligned.

It's the most time Horry has missed because of an injury since he sprained his left knee shortly after being traded to the Lakers midway through the 1996-97 season.

"I've been very, very frustrated," Horry said. "I feel like I'm stealing when I'm not playing."

Horry tried to make up for his lost time Thursday. He scored 12 points and grabbed four rebounds in 19 minutes to help rally the Spurs to their most important victory of the season.

More importantly, Horry said he didn't feel sore Friday morning. Now, he'll get three more days to rest, regardless.

Although Stackhouse directed most of his ire at Bavetta after the game, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban immediately told Dallas reporters he was going to ask the league to suspend Horry.

"Cuban complains about a lot of things," Horry said Friday afternoon before learning of the suspension. "I'm not going to bite a guy — unless it's the end of the world, and that's the only thing I got to eat."

Sec24Row7
03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
lol @ horry

1Parker1
03-04-2006, 08:36 PM
"Cuban complains about a lot of things," Horry said Friday afternoon before learning of the suspension. "I'm not going to bite a guy — unless it's the end of the world, and that's the only thing I got to eat."

:lol That's pretty funny...

slayermin
03-04-2006, 10:05 PM
It looked more like a hicky suck than a bite. :lol @ big shot

mavsfan1000
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Horry just lost it for a second. I can see where he decided to make it funny instead of an attack but that kind of stuff is not going to work. Good try Horry.