PDA

View Full Version : Is John Stewart Bad For You?

Nbadan
03-05-2006, 03:13 AM
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2005/05/24/image697574x.jpg
Graduated from Harvard, and still can't land a date or a job

By Michael Kalin | March 3, 2006 Boston Globe

THE SELECTION of Jon Stewart as the host for Sunday night's 2006 Oscars undoubtedly marks a career milestone for the aspiring king of late-night comedy. Unfortunately, however, the ascension of Stewart and ''The Daily Show" into the public eye is no laughing matter. Stewart's ever-increasing popularity among young viewers directly correlates with the declining influence of progressive thought in America. Coincidence? I think not. Let me explain.......

~snip~

The tragedy of this portrait is not that investment banking corrupts young souls (although one could argue otherwise), but rather that the students who abandon politics out of a naive self-consciousness often represent our country's most idealistic minds. Stewart's daily dose of political parody characterized by asinine alliteration leads to a ''holier than art thou" attitude toward our national leaders. People who possess the wit, intelligence, and self-awareness of viewers of ''The Daily Show" would never choose to enter the political fray full of ''buffoons and idiots." Content to remain perched atop their Olympian ivory towers, these bright leaders head straight for the private sector.

Observers since the days of de Tocqueville have often remarked about America's unique dissociation between politicians and citizens of ''outstanding character." Unfortunately, the rise of mass media and the domination of television news give Stewart's Menckenesque voice a much more powerful influence than critics in previous generations. As a result, a bright leader who may have become the Theodore Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson of today instead perceives politics as a supply of sophisticated entertainment, rather than a powerful source of social change.

Most important, this disturbing cultural phenomenon overwhelmingly affects potential leaders of the Democratic Party.

The type of folksy solemnity brandished by President Bush does not resonate with ''The Daily Show" demographic. According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, only 2 percent of the show's audience identify themselves as conservatives. At a time when the Democrats desperately need inspired leadership, the show's self-conscious aloofness pervades the liberal punditry.
Although Stewart's comedic shticks may thus earn him some laughs Sunday at the Oscars, his routine will certainly not match the impact of his greatest irony: Jon Stewart undermines any remaining earnestness that liberals in America might still possess.

The author, Michael Kalin, is a 2005 graduate of Harvard College.

Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/03/03/why_jon_stewart_isnt_funny)

Hey Mikey, it's satire, let's consider here for a sec. that the real joke are the corporate media news channels that can only hope to draw the ratings that Stewart draws among a growing demographic of politically aware young uns.

Peter
03-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Well, if Stewart's commentary shouldn't be taken seriously why do you care?

RandomGuy
03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Stewart asks some VERY pertinent questions.

I think the guy who wrote the article doesn't really understand the purpose of the show.

I would soooo vote for Stewart for president if he ran.

gtownspur
03-05-2006, 11:13 PM
^^it's all becoming more clear..

smeagol
03-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Jon Stewart rocks!

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2006, 11:49 AM
hahahahahhahahahahaha

fucking conservatives are sooo cluelessly gay

you'd think he'd be smarter than that, graduating from harvard and all.

Sec24Row7
03-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Where did you graduate from?

And he is the dumb one?

heh

UT obviously has huge academic standards and is the alma mater of some of the most brilliant political minds in the country.

I mean...

Vince Young Scored a 6 on a logic test where 10 is "literacy" and he had been there 4 years.

That's genius.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
my vince young love runs deep but even i'll admit he's probably not a bright guy

And i think its retarded to think that people who watch jon stewart automatically don't vote and don't get involved in any facet of politics...in fact, people who watch jon stewart consistently are probably able to sift through his funny ass comments and his 3 or 4 solid ideas or questions he brings up each show.

SpursWoman
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I would soooo vote for Stewart for president if he ran.

He'd win...then reality would sink in and he'd realize that even with the best intentions in the world, he'd become just as ineffective as the rest of them.

And then he could turn on some other comedian's show and watch all of his vain attempts at saving the world from evil conservatives being ripped to shreds.

:drunk

Darrin
03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I enjoy Jon Stewart. He's not who I rely on for hard news. I don't rely on the networks or the cable shows, either. The amount of information contained in each broadcast can be read from an AP article, and I find their framing of the debate to be obtuse and more constrained by timed segments and ratings than by a search for the truth.

When looking for hard news, I rely mostly on AP copy, I'll watch C-SPAN, the News Hour with Jim Lehrer. That's about as close as I can come to getting the raw materials of the press. Then I move on to the commentary - Keith Olbermann, Chris Mathews, Bill O'Reilly, Joe Scarborough, and Anderson Cooper. After that, Jon Stewart is a way to unwind. He's the dessert in a three-course meal.

Anyone who relies on him as the only news source is missing a lot. It's the same as if someone relied on Jay Leno's monolouge for the day's news. It's making a mockery of the press, of the politicians, and points out through satire, the funnier points of contradiction in the news story.

Like most humor, you either get it or you don't. This person isn't stupid, but he doesn't appear to get the Daily Show, a show with a longer run than Jon Stewart. It originally started with former Late Late Show host Craig Kilborn. To paint Stewart as a man pushing a social agenda and having a negative effect on the public, is simply demonizing Jon Stewart and not the creator of this show, or the network that signed on to run it.

Jamtas#2
03-08-2006, 02:41 AM
my vince young love runs deep but even i'll admit he's probably not a bright guy

And i think its retarded to think that people who watch jon stewart automatically don't vote and don't get involved in any facet of politics...in fact, people who watch jon stewart consistently are probably able to sift through his funny ass comments and his 3 or 4 solid ideas or questions he brings up each show.

I think that the not voting thing might actually be true. With no hard info, just a gut feeling I'd say that the majority of the 18-30 year old demographic would view themselves as more liberal than conservative. Hearning the national opinion of lack of support for Bush pretty much his whole tenure, I think that it could be said that the majority of liberals do not vote. I hear people talking all the time at work and in other situations about politics and the vast majority do have that "better than the politicians" air about them, and like to talk about politics with little to no info to back up what they are saying (i.e. quoting facts from forwarded emails that are mainly bogus) but then go on to say that they don't vote.
Again just a gut feeling (and with no info to back it up, kinda like the people I just made an example of- slight hypocracy I know), that if we had a majority of Americans voting rather than the low turnouts we have been having - the democratcs would win elections by large margins. Too many people just don't vote. Too much apathy in this country I suppose.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 04:13 AM
The guy is on COMEDY central.

You know, like...he's funny? News is secondary, being entertaining is his first goal. That said, the guy is brilliant. If he did enter politics I'd vote for him. He's the only Jew I would ever vote into office for anything.

mikejones99
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
The Comedy central news team with Stewart Chappelle and the boys from Southpark is good for everyone except maybe the fake news over at foxdumbasses.

sickdsm
04-08-2006, 09:29 AM
The problem i have with Stewart is that that style of comedy is harldy comedy. Political jokes are all the same. Five years from now, you can apply all of his stuff to then current situations and it applies. Its a gimmick, much like Gallagher's humor has come to be. The bigger problem is in Utopia, sure, people use the daily show to unwind and are already up on the news but in the real world its not like that. My GF and all of her friends are mainly college students, liberal-ish, and bright. Most of them don't have a freaking clue what goes in in the world or even locally if its not a joke on Family Guy or the Daily Show.

The reason why The daily show gets a smarter audience then O'Reily doesn't have anything to do with politics. College students like humor, college students are smarter than your average citizen. I guarantee you when those guys are 50 there not all watching drivel like that.

RandomGuy
04-08-2006, 09:37 PM
The problem i have with Stewart is that that style of comedy is harldy comedy. Political jokes are all the same.

Um, it's called SATIRE...

...and four years from now, we will hopefully have someone a little less clueless occupying the white house.

CharlieMac
04-08-2006, 10:24 PM
The Onion is great satire. Stewart just smirks after every single thing he says and expects the audience to laugh. And for some odd reason, they do.

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2006, 10:48 PM
The Onion is great satire. Stewart just smirks after every single thing he says and expects the audience to laugh. And for some odd reason, they do.

Well, in Jon Stewart's defense, the Onion is not in front of a camera 4 times a week. I hope Jon Stewart finds a way to morph his routine such that he is 80% serious, and 20% satire, a la Bill Maher.

sickdsm
04-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Um, it's called SATIRE...

...and four years from now, we will hopefully have someone a little less clueless occupying the white house.

Really? I thought satire could be something OTHER than political jokes.

:rolleyes