PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Flop ESPN Page 2

jcrod
03-05-2006, 03:15 AM
The Art of Flop

By Patrick Hruby
Page 2

If the NBA wants to spruce up All-Star Weekend -- and judging by sagging ratings, a little sprucing is overdue -- two moves are in order.

Dump the dunk contest.

Add a flop-off.

Operatic, halfway-to-Valhalla howls. Exaggerated, banana-peel pratfalls. Contrived, yet compelling competition. With the Oscars upon us, it's time to give basketball's master thespians their due. Year after disappointing year, the dunk contest promises an "American Idol"-esque exhibition; make the switch, and a flop contest would deliver.

Honestly, what would you rather watch? Nate Robinson, needing 57 attempts to throw down a slam? Or a flop artiste such as Vlade Divac, taking a glancing blow from Robinson before pinwheeling into the second row a la Lindsey Kildow on the slopes of San Sicario?

I think you know the answer.

Of course, some purists are bound to object. Floppin' is cheatin', after all, a way for the sneaky to sucker the skilled. It's also phony, as bogus as joinbode.com. And it might be the surest sign yet that we are becoming a Soccer Nation, in thrall to cough-and-they'll-collapse strikers such as MLS' Carlos Ruiz, flapping and logrolling our way to basketball Gomorrah.

Mention flopping to Atlanta guard Ty Lue and he wrinkles his nose, disgusted, like Pauline Kael at a Pauly Shore film festival.

"I hate that, man," Lue says. "Hate it. I would never want to do that. If you're able to beat somebody to the spot on the floor, just go ahead and cut them off. Play good defense."

Lue has a point. But he's missing the bigger picture. As a fan, I enjoy good defense. I adore a good flop. While few would confuse Dennis Rodman with Sir Anthony Hopkins -- or even baller-cum-"Kazzam!"-star Shaquille O'Neal -- there's no denying that faking a fall to get a call makes for great theater, basketball's answer to … well, if not Shakespeare, then at least Moe, Larry and Curly.

Indeed, like the lowbrow Stooges and lower-brow "Dancing With the Stars," flopping has two saving graces: it's both wildly entertaining (man fall down -- funny!) and a whole lot harder than it looks.

"Flopping is an art," says former All-Star Dominique Wilkins. "You have to go home and practice it in the mirror. I don't fault guys for it. Especially against great big guys. It's a smart move. For an older veteran, it can be the only advantage you have."

Speaking of advantages, flopping has a big one over dunking: The NBA's fall guys already are accustomed to performing before discerning judges -- that is, game officials -- on a nightly basis.

For a flop-off, then, why not replace the refs with a three-man panel of retired experts -- say, Divac, Reggie Miller and Bill Laimbeer? Just picture the possibilities:

Phoenix Suns guard Raja Bell stands before the judges …

MILLER: (grinning) I like your style. Simple physics tells me that Earl Boykins would never be able to send you flying with a slight push from his forearm. Yet somehow, you convinced me. You're on to the next round.

DIVAC: (puffing a cigarette) Next time, more head snap. I want to see whiplash! (More puffing). Otherwise, way to take … (snickering) the charge.

LAIMBEER: (smirking) That was dreadful. No scream. No wince. And you got up way too quickly. Remember: You've just been shot (shaking head). I've seen better stuff from Shane Battier. And that's when he was in college.

"Some guys have it and some guys don't," Washington Wizards center Brendan Haywood says of flopping. "Some guys are believable, some guys aren't. I think it's just a gift."

More than a gift, flopping is a craft. As such, it can be scored accordingly. What to look for? Try the following:

Preparation
A good dive appears spontaneous, unscripted. Then again, so does most reality TV. Former Dallas Mavericks coach Don Nelson reportedly taught flopping in practice. Chris Whitney, an accomplished fall guy who played 12 seasons in the pros, says he learned his tricks from Doc Rivers.

In the manner of a Hollywood stuntman gearing up to jump a dynamite-laden passenger bus over a golden retriever and a hole in the Golden Gate bridge -- c'mon, what are the real-life odds? -- the master flopper leaves nothing to chance.

"Certain guys have made a science of it," says Indiana coach Rick Carlisle. "The same way that guys in the 1980s like Moses Malone made a science of offensive rebounding."

The cardinal rules? Limit your pratfalls to aggressive opponents. Never let on that you're faking. When possible, take an early charge. Don't bother flopping at the end of a close game.

Above all, study film. Really.

"You pick up on little things," says former player Tree Rollins. "For example, when Juwan Howard posts up, he always throws his left arm out. So a flopper knows that whenever that arm comes out, it's time to go down."

Degree of Difficulty
Going down isn't easy. Bell might be an accomplished flopper, but he's also a hard-nosed defender. According to unofficial statistics at 82games.com, the Suns guard is one of the top charge-takers in the NBA -- which means he absorbs plenty of real shoulders and elbows to go with the phantom ones.

While playing with the Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State guard Derek Fisher was a pesky charge-taker/reverse-tucker in the mold of Bell. Lue, a former Lakers teammate, recalls Fisher coming to practice with sore hips and a smarting tailbone.

Floppers suffer for their art. Outside of Chris Andersen, can anyone involved with the dunk contest say the same?

"If you're known as a flopper all the time, you're not going to get any calls," says Los Angeles Clippers guard Sam Cassell. "You have to stand in and take some hard shots, too. You earn it."

Creativity
A first-rate flop has many elements: positioning, body control, sliding along the floor just so. Still, it's the personal touches that stand out. Dallas guard Jason Terry admiringly calls Laker guard Kobe Bryant a "verbal flopper," able to coax a call out of a single well-timed scream. Michael Jordan once likened Miller's trademark habit of initiating hand and arm contact to "chicken fighting with a woman."

A few years back, I asked Denver guard DerMarr Johnson to demonstrate Miller's technique. Linking elbows with an imaginary defender, he pulled back with a yell, his arms spinning like windmills.

"You make the first attack," says Whitney. "And when your guy is trying to dislodge himself, you fall down. The ref sees it, and he thinks you're the one getting fouled."

Milwaukee center Ervin Johnson says Divac favored a similar move.

"He'll grab your shirt, flop back," Johnson says, shaking his head in frustration. "Grab your arm, fall back and hit the ground. He stands out like a sore thumb. He should get an Oscar for best actor. Beat out Jack Nicholson."

Emotional Impact
Nicholson starred in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Floppers such as Divac drive opposing players cuckoo.

"You try to get guys off balance," Cassell says. "You try to get into their minds. That's to your advantage."

Is it ever. Even the best dunk counts for only two points, same as a layup or jump shot. A well-timed flop, on the other hand, can be worth so much more. It's demoralizing. Distracting. On offense, it makes power players less aggressive; on defense, it makes shot blockers think twice.

During Game 1 of last year's NBA Finals, Detroit center Ben Wallace earned a technical foul after being called for a block on what he thought was a flop by San Antonio guard Manu Ginobili. The exasperated Pistons were outscored 18-4 over the next five minutes and went on to lose the game
It's the worst thing when you're working so hard, and the next thing you know a guy is on his back," Wilkins says. "But you never try to let it piss you off to a point where it affects your game. Guys like Shaq get so mad. That just plays into a flopper's hands."

With a scoring system based on the above categories in place, an All-Star flop contest would be easy to institute. The only roadblock? Getting players to participate. Never mind the potential for injury: The first rule of Flop Club is pure Chuck Palahniuk. Don't talk about Flop Club. Sports Illustrated once asked Divac about flopping. His response was incredulous: Flopping? I don't call it flopping. I call it letting the ref know there is contact.

Two years ago -- a decade after his retirement -- Laimbeer sounded a similar note. Informed that both Wilkins and Patrick Ewing described him as diving's Dark Prince, the former Bad Boy wrinkled his brow, lifted an eyebrow and assumed the puzzled, who-me? countenance of an Iranian nuclear scientist.

"I disagree," he said. "No comment. Why are you coming at me?"

Sigh. Fans of the long-defunct North American Soccer League once rewarded particularly flamboyant dives by holding up cards reading "9.9, 9.8, 9.9." Give floppers the same sort of recognition -- the same sort of respect -- and perhaps they would be less reticent. In the meantime, I'll be watching this weekend's Academy Awards, crossing my fingers for an NBA equivalent. Cinephiles can keep "Crash" and "Brokeback Mountain"; give me the theatrical flourish of Ginobili, shamelessly faking a broken back after crashing Wallace.

Hey, if spurious man-on-man contact is good enough to net Heath Ledger and Jake what's-his-name Oscar nominations, it's good enough for All-Star Weekend.

"[Flopping is] part of the game," Rollins says. "The officials sometimes know you're flopping. But it looks so good, they'll give you the call."

Manu , I wish I could quit you.

FIVE FOR FLOPPING
• Bill Laimbeer: The Godfather. A master at appearing hurt … then sprinting back down the floor (the picture of perfect health).
• Reggie Miller: With legs kicks and splayed arms, hoops alchemist spun offensive fouls into defensive whistles.
• Dennis Rodman: The flop as taunt: clever defender used positioning and flamboyance to get calls and get inside opponents' heads.
• Vlade Divac: Took plenty of hard shots from Shaq. Made all of 'em look a whole lost worse. No coincidence his wife is an actress.
• Manu Ginobili: Best of the new-school Fosburys boosted by energetic, unpredictable movements, floppy 'do.
• Also receiving votes (in a random, unscientific poll): Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Allen Iverson, Raja Bell, Jarron Collins, Chris Whitney, Shane Battier (in college), Tony Parker, Bryon Russell (recently
cut), Michael Curry.

jcrod
03-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Didn't realize people viewed Parker as a flopper. I don't see him flopping??

timvp
03-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Parker never flops.

timvp
03-05-2006, 03:32 AM
I wish he did. That's actually a weakness of his.

carina_gino20
03-05-2006, 03:33 AM
i'm actually surprised they got through over 50% of the article without mentioning Manu...and then it finally appears.

but the line "Manu, I wish I could quit you" was just......

so brokeback. :lmao

that was totally out of place.

Sense
03-05-2006, 03:51 AM
I think this flopping stuff is overshadowing what Manu has done for his team as they view it outside of San Antonio or nonspur fans.

Honestly, it's pissing me off.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Yeah flopping pisses me off. I hate people who do that and hate it even more that the refs allow it.

timvp
03-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah flopping pisses me off. I hate people who do that and hate it even more that the refs allow it.

Dirk flops like a fish.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 04:20 AM
Dirk flops like a fish.
Dirk doesn't flop. He gets hit and exaggerates it a little. Manu acts like he got hit by a truck. It is ridiculous.

timvp
03-05-2006, 04:21 AM
Dirk doesn't flop. He gets hit and exaggerates it a little. Manu acts like he got hit by a truck. It is ridiculous.

:lol

Dirk flops just as much as Manu. Dirk will flop even if he doesn't get touched.

What are you talking about?

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 04:29 AM
I would call it more like avoiding contact. :lol

cs100
03-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Former Dallas Mavericks coach Don Nelson reportedly taught flopping in practice.

Is that where _irk learned to flop? :lol

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2006, 04:38 AM
This will get me banned again, but parker actually flops when he runs in for the missed layup, and the refs never buy it due to parkers over exageration

WalterBenitez
03-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Wow... TP is having a good season, he's improving in every category (even floppin') :king

Slomo
03-05-2006, 06:38 AM
I've seen Ben Wallace flying through the air after contact with Tony. Ben should be on that list.

SouthernFried
03-05-2006, 08:12 AM
This is just a hit peice on Manu...and the Spurs.

He put 3 spurs in the "current" flopping list. And included Horry and Parker? Gimme a break.

And Manu was the only "current" player to get a top five flopping award...the top 3 were all retired! (not counting his honorable mention list, where he puts several others, including 2 other spurs.)

So..fuck Patrick Hubry and his lame attempt at humor/sarcasm to try and disguise his hate.

:flipoff

usckk
03-05-2006, 08:40 AM

Haha, you crack me up.

totalspurshomer
03-05-2006, 09:16 AM
I think this flopping stuff is overshadowing what Manu has done for his team as they view it outside of San Antonio or nonspur fans.

Honestly, it's pissing me off.
This is EXACTLY why I wish Manu wasn't such an obvious, over-acting flopper. He's much too good of a player and athlete for those ridiculous shows he puts on. Drawing a call is one thing, but Manu makes it nauseatingly obvious that he's faking. Sooner or later people, except those of us whose team he plays for, start to think "flopper" first when Manu's name is brought up, rather than what a great player he is.

What do you think of first when you hear Vlade? Flopping and cigs, right? Then maybe that he was a good player and great passer.

How about non-Jazz fans on Stockton? Perhaps the greatest PG of all time, but can't really embrace the guy because he was a needlessly disgustingly dirty and flopping player. Karl Malone anyone?

I love Manu, but if he doesn't stop the over the top drama, he deserves whatever lack of respect or he ends up getting from non-Spur fans. He's making his own legacy, good or bad.

hussker
03-05-2006, 09:37 AM

He put 3 spurs in the "current" flopping list. And included Horry and Parker? Gimme a break.

And Manu was the only "current" player to get a top five flopping award...the top 3 were all retired! (not counting his honorable mention list, where he puts several others, including 2 other spurs.)

So..fuck Patrick Hubry and his lame attempt at humor/sarcasm to try and disguise his hate.

:flipoff

I know,
With all this "flopping" going on, you would think that other teams could just have their way witht he Spurs as they lay on the vourt and observe...hmm

Nikos
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Parker never flops.

Exactly what I was thinking. WTF did they get the idea that Parker flops?

ALVAREZ6
03-05-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't give a fuck...they are all jealous.

Every championship team will get articles written about them criticizing a player for flopping, or the whole team for being boring. It's just jealousy.

Pissed off fans that have shitty teams who wish they could be Spurs fans.

Fuck them.

FromWayDowntown
03-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Dirk got Nellie ejected from a game against LA in 2003 when he drove to the basket and flailed and ended up in the stands about trying to draw a call on Shaq. Replays showed that Shaq never touched Dirk.

I don't see how any list of modern-day floppers can be complete if it excludes Herr Nowitzki.

PM5K
03-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Tony does that throw the arms in the air and go "hey" in his funny French accent whenever anyone strips the ball from him, clean or not and he gets calls from time to time.

PM5K
03-05-2006, 11:42 AM
How about non-Jazz fans on Stockton? Perhaps the greatest PG of all time, but can't really embrace the guy because he was a needlessly disgustingly dirty and flopping player.

I agree with Vlade but disagree with Stockton, when I think Vlade I think flopper pretty much before anything else, but when I think Stockton I think Hall Of Fame point guard before anything else, then little white shorts, then I puke and I can't think of anything else after that...

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 01:02 PM
The crying continues. The Spurs own everybody.

Joepa
03-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Ah, to be the envy of the league.

Leetonidas
03-05-2006, 01:52 PM

What the fuck do you think flopping is?

Samr
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Since when has flopping become a bad thing? It's an art form and if you can get away with it, more power to you. Manu flops and I love him for it. Horry flops and it's impossible to deny it makes the Spurs better when he's out there.

That's like saying, "He doesn't steal. He gets caught trying to steal." Well who's more of an idiot: the guy who stole, or the guy who got caught stealing?

LilMissSPURfect
03-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Haters.....(watch carefully without ure colors on and u will see how theres always someone in someteam doing it.....) calling out manu is not right....all them &Uckers do it!

totalspurshomer
03-05-2006, 03:50 PM
when I think Stockton I think...then little white shorts
:rollin That's right, how could I have forgotten the nutters?!

Here you go... :throwupsp

baseline bum
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Horry is one of the worst floppers in NBA history. I know no Timberwolves fan will forget that flop he did in OT to get Kevin Garnett his 6th foul in game 3 of the 2003 first round in Staples Center. It was probably the worst call I've ever seen in a playoff game. Garnett never even touched Rob.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Horry is one of the worst floppers in NBA history. I know no Timberwolves fan will forget that flop he did in OT to get Kevin Garnett his 6th foul in game 3 of the 2003 first round in Staples Center. It was probably the worst call I've ever seen in a playoff game. Garnett never even touched Rob.
I remember when Vlade flopped in the Finals against the Bulls. I think BJ Armstrong went near him and he fucking backpedalled all the way across the lane. I expected one of those Hanna Barbera sound effects as he was stumbling.

By the way, how about foul number six on Duncan in Denver last year, when Carmelo slipped? That was about as bad as there is.

Seriously, I have more problem with guys throwing their bodies into a moving player and calling it drawing a charge than with a defender beating a guy to a spot and falling to force a whistle.

spurschick
03-05-2006, 11:08 PM
blah, blah, blah...

http://www.spurschick.com/flopyou.jpg

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Time to unleash an oldie but goodie...

https://home.comcast.net/~scottjhepple/TeamSmall.jpg

IceColdBrewski
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Parker and Ginoblili both flop with the best of em'. Parker ends up on his back after a layup at least 3 times per game, but the refs hardly ever buy it. Ginobili is a little better at selling it.

krinkx
03-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I wish he did. That's actually a weakness of his.

:lmao i wish all the spurs can do that... with the ft % were having... we need a lot to measure up... :elephant

SouthernFried
03-06-2006, 08:09 AM
If you think Parker ending up on his back after a layup, is his attempt at "flopping"...your either a fool, or have never played basketball in your life.

Supergirl
03-06-2006, 08:59 AM
FLoppers have to be good FT shooters. That leaves Parker out.

CharlieMac
03-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Parker doesn't flop, he kind of tumbles when he's fouled going to the basket.