PDA

View Full Version : Why there are so many whiny Mavs fans

picnroll
03-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Their just following their leader.
Cuban's blog (http://blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000453073569/)

Im a purist. The rules is the rules. I dont care if you call it on us. I expect our players to adapt and play by the rules. I also expect them to take advantage of rules violations that arent being called.

When I decided to do this blog, after reading the comments from Sam Mitchell in Marc Stein’s article saying that he agreed with Phil Jacksons comments that officials were nervous nellies in Dallas, I had our guys go through and do a quick run through of our last game and what we thought were calls that we could discuss and were there any issues we should address.

We are not going to send this into the league. Its just a sample. You can buy a copy of the game here, and do your own analysis and send it to me. If its good, I might even post it. If its great, maybe I will hire you to do these for me :). And as far as issues that our guys thought we might be worth addressing with the league, we are looking at carrying the ball on drives to the basket. We want to see if players may be getting an advantage by taking mutiple steps per dribble while the ball is still on their hand. If we can get enough examples, we will send it in. If we dont, it means it was in our imagination and we wont.

This is an example of an email we would send to the league. Its just a first pass, so it has some of the comments we make in review and its far from complete. Im sure we have missed a couple. But as i said, we are not turning it into the league. If someone out there thinks this could turn officials into nervous nellies when they come to dallas, well, thats an explanation i would be curious to see

1. Posted Mar 4, 2006, 7:01 PM ET by Mark Cuban
1st

8:28 Grey Call - Touch foul on Dirk as Duncan goes to the hoop.

6:30 Missed No Call – Dirk fouls Mohammed.

3:21 Grey Call - Ttouch foul on Dirk LBF over Finley back. There is much more contact at other parts of the game with no calls. Ask if they think this and the first foul should have been called

2:17 Bad Call - Travelling on Duncan, He did not travel.

1:04 Missed No Call – Parker Carry the ball.

2nd

10:08 Good Call – exactly 3 sec call on Keith Van Horn. Check to see if they call these as quickly rest of night

9:57 Missed call and then into a bad call. Horry sets an illegal pick on Griffin, but the foul is called on Griffin. Horry is still moving on the pick.

9”40 Missed No call. Horry fouls Stackhouse

9:09 Missed no call. Duncan 3 sec in the lane. In at 9:12 and still in at 9:09. Same as the call on Van Horn.

9:02 Questionable call. Foul on Dampier (Same official makes 3 similar calls vs. Dampier). Has a hand up, does not initiate the contact, ask if these should have been called a foul.

8:45 Missed no call. Horry hits Keith Van Horn to the hoop.

8:32 Missed no call – Mohammed 3 seconds. In at 8:35 and still in the lane at 8:29 when foul called on Dampier.

8:04 Missed no call - Jason Terry steps on the mid court line going for the ball. Is this a violation if ball doesnt cross half court line

7:26-7:17 – Missed no calls. Several re-routes by Bowen on Dirk.

6:40 Missed no call. Defensive 3 seconds on Bowen

6:31 Missed no call Body foul on Bowen vs. Daniels. Bowen is still moving when Daniels picks up the ball going to the hoop.

5:37 Good call contact by bowen vs. Terry to hoop. Jason thought this was a foul when it happened

5:21 Bad Call – Howard reach in foul on Mohammed. Doesnt appear official can see the play with out looking through Mohammed.

4:08 Missed no call. Parker offensive foul. Parker drives baseline and jumps back into Dirk to get the shot off. I believe this was a point of emphasis call on video before the season. Ask if it still applies.

3:25 Missed no call. Lot of contact by Bowen on jumper by Howard

2:58 Missed no call. Offensive foul committed by Daniels on Parker.

7.5 Missed no call. Van Horn tries a three pointer, gets hit by Horry AND is not allowed to come down. If this isn’t a foul, then we should start teaching this defensive method.

3rd Period

8:30 Missed no call - Duncan hits Howard on the way to hoop.

9”04 Missed no call – Duncan takes extra step and travels.

8:39 Questionable no call. - Again, lot of contact by Bowen on Dirk.

8:03 Missed no call. Howard hit going to hoop. Hit by both Ginobli and Mohammed.

7:41 Bad Call - Call is oK, but Corbin calls it a shooting foul.

5:44 Bad call - Offensive foul on Dirk. Dirk is set and Parker just runs into the screen. Once again Bavetta has to look right through Dirk to see the play.

4:20 Missed no call. Jason Terry to hoop is hit from behind by Parker and in front by Mohammed.

3:32 Bad Call - Not a foul by Duncan.

3:13 Bad call. - Parker post up in lane on Terry. Very little contact if any. Less that then no call at 4:20.

2:43 Bad call – No foul on Ginobli vs. Dirk. No contact on the shot.

2:28 Missed no call - On rebound Horry pushes Dampier in the back. If you will note there are three or four times in this game that Horry just pushes people from behind.

1:28 Missed no call. Travel by Mohammed.

47.3 Missed no call. Horry leans into Dirk while setting a screen for a three point shooter.

4th period

9:25 Missed no call. Finley hits Stackhouse on jumper.

8:13 Good call. Howard thought he gets hit on jump shot.

4:01 Bad Call - three second call on Dampier. Wasnt 3 seconds. If he called it on Griffin, it is right at the 3 sec mark. Once again if this is a violation, there were a ton missed tonight.

3:08 Missed no call – Mohammed 3 seconds.

1:14 Missed no call – Duncan 3 seconds. In a 1:17, and still in a 1:11 when the shot is taken.

1:09 Missed no call - Horry hooks and flings Stackhouse’s arm on a rebound. This is the start of the incident.

1:04 Missed no call - Both Horry/Stack- Horry pushes Stackhouse in the back running down the lane. Then Stackhouse goes at him.

26.9 Missed no call - Jason Terry gets hit on elbow during 3 point shot attempt

hussker
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Missed diagnosis:

OCD with Intermittent Explosive Disorder

dimsah
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Here's what I take from that blog entry.

The Spurs got over 200 calls in their favor.

Keith Van Horn was in the lane for 2.99999999 seconds. Other than that, we(Mavs) did no wrong, and may God have mercy on your souls.

Holmes_Fans
03-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Since you probably didn't read it, he mentions one time when he sent in a tape, the league found more violations for a mavs player than the other team. And in the list mark made of missed calls there are plently against the mavericks.

Brutalis
03-05-2006, 11:24 AM
i couldnt help but add a comment

"Wayne"

ShoogarBear
03-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm sure someone paid by Mark Cuban is going to be oh so unbiased reviewing a tape. :rolleyes

picnroll
03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Since you probably didn't read it, he mentions one time when he sent in a tape, the league found more violations for a mavs player than the other team. And in the list mark made of missed calls there are plently against the mavericks.

5 calls/no calls in the first quarter.
2 favoring Mavs, 3 favoring Spurs.

16 calls/no calls in the second quarter (Cuban listed one more, but that was a good 3sec call that he wants to use to bash subsequent bad 3sec no-calls).
2 favoring Mavs, 14 favoring Spurs.

13 calls/no calls in the third quarter.
2 favoring Mavs, 11 favoring Spurs.

8 calls/no calls in the fourth.
1 favoring Mavs, 7 favoring Spurs.

infinite styles
03-05-2006, 11:55 AM
When he sprinkles in the ones that favored the Mavs is he really sincere or just trying to show that he is "unbiased"? This email reminds me of when your in middle school and the english teacher wants you to write a essay on the pros and cons of something that you really believe. Cuban has no credibility and can hardly be taken seriously when he says "Im a purist. The rules is the rules. I dont care if you call it on us. I expect our players to adapt and play by the rules." If he wanted his players to adapt to the calls he wouldn't make his concerns about officials so public.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 11:59 AM
What was funny was when Cuban whined to the league about Yao's moving screens and they call some on him when it was Dirk and Nash that had set the standard for sveral years.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Missed something.

I have questioned quite a few things about the NBA. Publicly and privately.

To Commissioner Stern’s credit, he has always at least absorbed the commentary from me. Sometimes Im right, sometimes not. At times, my approach may even be counter productive. Im far from perfect when it comes to trying to elicit change. And when Im wrong. Im ok with that as well.

As a partner, I would rather offer up a topic for discussion and be told Im wrong, or even ignored, then not present my perspective. You never know the impact if you dont communicate. Its usually just a short and simple email from me for someone in the NBA to read and respond to, or not.

leemajors
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
i think it is either a mistake to continually get on the officials like this, or the greatest smokescreen ever. the mavs let their owner take most of the heat complaining about officiating and go about their business... or the team gets caught up in thinking about officiating and loses focus. from what i have seen, the best teams don't get caught up in that kinda stuff, and let the game play itself out (for the most part). i would like to see avery injected with a truth serum and be forced to answer what he thinks about all of that - he may just be satisfied with cubes occupying himself like that while he runs the team, who knows...

Victor Newman
03-05-2006, 12:17 PM
At least the Maverick fans can blame their owner for being whiners.
what's everyone's excuse in here?

Peter
03-05-2006, 12:44 PM
He's a fan who happens to be the owner. Great in some respects, but when his team loses....lookout!

There's nothing a billionaire with a modem can't bitch about.

maxpower
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
"Missed No Call" is like saying "Bad Ugly Haircut". It's just a "No Call"...

Peter
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I'll also add that the Mavs are in the Metroplex, the home of bitchy, whiney sports fans who believe their hometown teams are entitled to the championship, even in a rebuilding year.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 12:57 PM
I think it's great that Cuban has built his team around a culture of whining. Spurs are built by Pop and Silver Star Holt around a culture of toughness. When they complain and feel they got jobbed on a call they get back on D, focus and respond positively. Teams like the whiny Mavs on the other hand complain, loose focus and screw up when they feel they got jobbed.

TDMVPDPOY
03-05-2006, 12:59 PM
brokeback influence?

DMFFL341
03-05-2006, 01:00 PM
5:44 Bad call - Offensive foul on Dirk. Dirk is set and Parker just runs into the screen. Once again Bavetta has to look right through Dirk to see the play.

47.3 Missed no call. Horry leans into Dirk while setting a screen for a three point shooter.

These are the two calls that really got me going in that game. The first one was especially bullshit.

ShoogarBear
03-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Cuban's little legions fall in line.

Peter
03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
So either the refs called an incredibly skewed game or the Mavs got beat by a better team.

I can't wait until I see Cuban claim this summer that the Mavs won the 'real championship'.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Mark Cuban made the "Dairy Queen" comments a few years ago and said it was due to the fact that superstars get all the calls. Only trouble is he made the comments after a game against the Spurs that Tim Duncan fouled out of.

Bottom line: He's completely full of shit. He's not a purist. He's not even very knowledgable about basketball. He's an idiot fan with a lot of money and a big mouth. The only difference between him and Mavsfan1000 is that Cuban owns the team. If Mavsfan1000 owned the Mavericks at least I'd get tickets from time to time.

SpursWoman
03-05-2006, 01:13 PM
You know, I really wish they would call every single, itty bitty, ticky-tack foul. That way, a regular NBA basketball game would last about 8 hours...have no flow or continuity, and turn into nothing but a free throw shooting contest.

Holy shit, that sounds like fun.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 01:15 PM
That happened after Ray Allen faked his ankle injury in the playoffs. It wasn't compelling basketball.

adrienne
03-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Why are there so many whiny threads about so many whiny Mavs fans?

picnroll
03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
You know, I really wish they would call every single, itty bitty, ticky-tack foul. That way, a regular NBA basketball game would last about 8 hours...have no flow or continuity, and turn into nothing but a free throw shooting contest.

Kind of like that barn burner in the Spurs - Mavericks 2003 playoff game 1. Wonder if the Cubic man blogged that one.

Leetonidas
03-05-2006, 01:25 PM

True dat SW. :tu

picnroll
03-05-2006, 01:28 PM
This one is about your lead whiner.

Leetonidas
03-05-2006, 01:30 PM
This one is about your lead whiner.

Yep, I hate the fans that make excuses and blame the refs. I mean yeah, some Spurs fans do it, but most of us nut up and admit the other team played good and made us play bad and we lost. Some of the Mavs fans are saying the Mavs played like shit, the refs mailed it in, and the Spurs had nothing to do with it.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 02:20 PM
The whininess comes from the lack of respect mavs players get from the officials which might have been caused by the whininess in the first place. Stackhouse is an idiot and hope he doesn't say stupid shit like that again.

JHoLove
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't really mind the ticky-tacky foul calls as long as they call it consistently...

Some of the Mavs fans are saying the Mavs played like shit, the refs mailed it in, and the Spurs had nothing to do with it.

Obviously the Spurs had something to do with the loss.... while the refs were a factor that should not be an exuse... the mavs mailed it in during the second half.. and you cant do that against the Spurs.

DMFFL341
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM

this is where he loses all objectivity and credibility. Dirk WAS moving on the screen and there was no two ways about that.

Mark Cuban = dumbass homer.

Is that a joke? That was a perfectly good screen. It's not like he was pulling a Yao and moving on every screen 20 times a game.

Peter
03-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a feeling that AJ did not blame the refs for the loss.

timvp
03-05-2006, 03:14 PM
99% of Mav fans didn't start watching basketball until 2002. They are still learning the rules.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I guess we should figure the answer for why there are so many Spurs fans whining about the whiny Maverick fans :rolleyes

I understand this is a Spurs forum, but complaining about bitching and flat-out bitching are one and the same. It doesn't matter which side is for the home team or the winning team.

Prove 'em wrong, then leave it alone.

Lately, there's been almost as many threads started about or because of the Mav fans than because of the Spurs. That's just sad.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2006, 03:37 PM
I guess we should figure the answer for why there are so many Spurs fans whining about the whiny Maverick fans :rolleyes

I understand this is a Spurs forum, but complaining about bitching and flat-out bitching are one and the same. It doesn't matter which side is for the home team or the winning team.

Lately, there's been almost as many threads started about or because of the Mav fans than because of the Spurs. That's just sad.

Thanks for your moderation :rolleyes

This thread is just to make fun of Mark Cuban. Get over it.

Peter
03-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Then why are you bitching about the bitching about bitching? Sheesh.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Maybe the reason the mavs are whining is because they feel they are getting the short hand of the calls. If you were a mavs fan you would feel the same because it's true. Spurs fans obviously don't get to see many mavs games but it has happened. Call it whining but there is some proof in that theory as well.

ChumpDumper
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Mav fans would rather whine about calls made four days ago than actually watch a game.

Pathetic.

JHoLove
03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
99% of Mav fans didn't start watching basketball until 2002. They are still learning the rules.

Actual statistic, huh.

Samr
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Actual statistic, huh.

It's a cruel world.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your moderation :rolleyes

This thread is just to make fun of Mark Cuban. Get over it.

I'd noticed you had to moderate several of them. Many were locked. I wasn't critical of all the Cuban-hating. That's fine. Talk about Sarvar and I'll join in, but many of the posts have attacked the Mavs posters here, which is pathetic.

I don't care why. It's lame.

I think it's pretty sad that a dissenting opinion, even if somewhat outlandish or over the top, is met with a GTFO or STFU.

It is a message board afterall. If you wanted this to be a Spurs circlejerk, then just start ridding out all the non-Spurs fans.

I've been called a troll here, which is absurd. I've been told to "go fuck myself" for saying Manu tends to flop during games. I've been called a moron and I've tried my best to prove them wrong.

I like posting here and I like it for one reason: All the competative banter that borders on bias. But it's only fun if everyone, every fan of whatever team can post in said fashion. If Spurs fans are encouraged to say "Spurs rule, everyone else, every other team sucks" and then opposing fans aren't allowed to post there opinions to the contrary, then this site isn't near the site it could be.

So Mavsfan said that Dirk would own Bowen if guarded by him? So what. So Mavsfan said that the win wasn't as meaningful because of all the Mavs injuries? So what!

I remember plenty of Spurs fans here saying the Suns win over the Spurs last February was meaningless because Duncan and Ginobili didn't play.

How is it right then, because it's the Spurs and it be wrong now, because it's the Mavs? That's just dumb.

I'm not here to start fights, or troll or spam, but it's lame that posters are calling for others posters to get the fuck out, simply because they pull for opposing teams.

If he was a troll, fine, but a differing opinion does not a troll make.

And you're welcome for the editorial.

Moderate it to fit the majority opine if you like... :rolleyes

sanman53
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
I wish I made the kind of money Cuban makes just sitting around BS'ing all day on the internet!

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Maybe the reason the mavs are whining is because they feel they are getting the short hand of the calls. If you were a mavs fan you would feel the same because it's true. Spurs fans obviously don't get to see many mavs games but it has happened. Call it whining but there is some proof in that theory as well.
Didn't you say this already?

I can say, however, that you are absolutely correct. The Mavs, their fans, and their owner whine because they feel they are getting the short end of the calls. They aren't actually getting the short end of the calls, but they feel that they are.

Since you repeated yourself, so shall I:

I've watched more Mavs games than you have and I can confirm exactly what you are saying is true; the Mavs think they get the short end of the calls virtually every single night. If they were actually getting rooked by the referees on such a regular basis I'm certain there would be investigations and firings by the league. I'm also very sure that if the league actually had a stake in who wins games they would not be making sure the Spurs beat the Mavericks, nor would they have allowed the Spurs to beat Denver, Seattle or Phoenix last year, all of whom think they were done wrong by the referees.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Why would the league want to screw the Mavs? The only good reason I can think of is because Cuban is an asshole.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Didn't you say this already?

I can say, however, that you are absolutely correct. The Mavs, their fans, and their owner whine because they feel they are getting the short end of the calls. They aren't actually getting the short end of the calls, but they feel that they are.

Since you repeated yourself, so shall I:

I've watched more Mavs games than you have and I can confirm exactly what you are saying is true; the Mavs think they get the short end of the calls virtually every single night. If they were actually getting rooked by the referees on such a regular basis I'm certain there would be investigations and firings by the league. I'm also very sure that if the league actually had a stake in who wins games they would not be making sure the Spurs beat the Mavericks, nor would they have allowed the Spurs to beat Denver, Seattle or Phoenix last year, all of whom think they were done wrong by the referees.
I don't know why the refs seem to take the other team in big games. Especially Phoenix and San Antonio but it has hurt when you feel you are get the bad end of the refs. There would never be investigations and firings of the league no matter how bad the refs are. You know who the refs are for usually pretty early in the game and it makes you do this if it is constant poor reffing. :pctoss

picnroll
03-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Losing team's fans tend to whine about poor refing and the Mavs tend to lose big games against good teams more often than not becuse they're chokers. Maybe that's why Mav's fans have this paranoia about the refs. And Mavs players tend to whine alot too and of course Mav fans believe they're heroes and that chump of an owner. Maybe if the Mavs stopped sucking then Mavs fans wouldn't be so paranoid.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I have this theory that even if the mavs are good enough to win it someway the refs will prevent it from happening. Last year Amare got every call and Dirk got none. Stuff like that can really get into a teams head. Too bad the refs have to be a part of the final score. I know they can't be perfect but I feel they do have favorites. If you disagree look how they treated lakers teams.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I have this theory you're another paranoid Mavs fan.

FromWayDowntown
03-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I have this theory that even if the mavs are good enough to win it someway the refs will prevent it from happening.

In furtherance of the leaguewide conspiracy to promote the ever-so-large market Spurs with their ever-so-marketable roster and ever-so-apparent owner.

:rolleyes

G-Nob
03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Cuban, dfw media and mavs fans always wonder why they get "dissed" by the national media. This is a prime example. Alienating the refs won't get you any respect from anyone. Bad calls happen and I don't know of one call that was or wasn't made that decided a seven game series. If you want to review every game in the history of the nba, I'm sure you'll find a lot of mistakes. You're waisting money on this one, Mark.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I have this theory that even if the mavs are good enough to win it someway the refs will prevent it from happening. Last year Amare got every call and Dirk got none. Stuff like that can really get into a teams head. Too bad the refs have to be a part of the final score. I know they can't be perfect but I feel they do have favorites. If you disagree look how they treated lakers teams.

Dirk doesn't drive to the basket. Amare does. Dirk isn't agressive enough to consistantly drive to the basket against a good defense. Amare is.

Most times, the agressor is awarded.

If Drik wanted to, he could foul Marion out within a half.

But he doesn't care to. He'd much rather shoot his fickle jumper all game long unless the lane is parted like the Red Sea.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I've seen Dirk attack the rim and no call many times in the playoffs. It almost comes to the point where I expect a no call and Dirk would be better off shooting jumpers than attacking and getting no call.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
The NBA conspiracy to drive the team with the lowest ratings in Finals history back to the Finals continues.

Seriously. The league has a boner the size of Bayonne for the Mavericks to get to the WCF or the Finals. They have an owner that is a good interview, they have a flashy offense. They have a coach that everyone can imitate. Until they do it, they aren't good enough.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Yes Stern is determined to fix it to keep teams which will get higher ratings and bring in more TV revenue out of the finals at any cost. After all it's all about making the least money possible isn't it.

word
03-06-2006, 02:00 AM
I'll also add that the Mavs are in the Metroplex, the home of bitchy, whiney sports fans who believe their hometown teams are entitled to the championship, even in a rebuilding year.

Yup. I don't hate the city per se but the residents are just pompous asses. Dallas is okay but it ain't all that. I suppose the reason I don't like the Mavs is because Cuban reflects that 'pompassity' to a T. As does Jerome Jones and people like Barra Swizzer when he was there. And Michael Irvin and Deon and Hollywood Henderson and on and on and on.

They're just asses, man.

Duncanfan
03-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Mark Cuban's a complainer... which is the total opposite of his team's attitude (except for stackhouse). He needs to get a life.

I don't hate the Mavs.. in fact I'm impressed by there rise from mediocrity during the 2000's but Cuban's Obsessive Compulsiveness and bias along with the whining of the fans give this good team a bad image. People concentrate on Dirk's weaknesses when in fact he is the greatest shooting 7 footer of all time and he does is try to get better on defense. And what a way for Avery to start his career... coaching a team that has a REGULAR SEASON ONLY label on them despite the fact the he should be praised for his efforts considering it's his first training camp and first full year as the coach.

Oh well, blame it on Cuban his followers. heheheh :)

Louie Vega
03-06-2006, 03:06 AM
I think fans need to take it easy on Mark and Dirk. They are 2 of the most successful women in sports today.

SenorSpur
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
There's not one team in the league (or fans of said team) that feels their team gets the appropriate level of calls from the officials.

Many of us Spurs fans view the Mavs (and their fans) as constant whiners and complainers. With Cuban leading the charge, for the most part that has been true.

In the case of Mavs players, in years past they have historically drove to the basket with more of an intention ot "get a whistle" than to make a basket. When the whistle didn't come, they chose to cry to the officials as opposed to running back on defense. For years Shawn Bradley was the biggest culprit, with Dirk running a close second. On defensive fouls, it seemed every call was either challenged on contested.

With Cuban keeping his own personal grading system of the officials and sending in reports and tapes to the league to publicize officials errors, (or at least errors in his opinion), the "whiner" tag does have merit. Unfortunately for Cuban, it also has deluded situations where he is on point with legitimate complaints about officiating.

With all the rhetoric Cuban feeds the public, it only feeds the notion of the "officials are out to get us" mentality that has permeated throughout the Mavs organization, from coaches to players alike.

The good news is Cuban's efforts have led to some process improvements with officiating and upgrades to their NBA's grading system of officials.

As for the players, it seems that AJ has done a superb job in getting his team to focus more on the game rather than the officiating. Sure, there are still isolated instances but the Mavs players are not constantly complaining about calls as much in years past. Like any other astute coach, Avery works the officials in an attempt to gain an edge.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I remember a game where the Mavericks beat the Kings on an obvious goaltending call. Most of you remember it. I think it was this season. Mark Cuban, high fiving his players, never once said anything about it. His story about wanting what's good for basketball disintegrated at that point.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Mark Cuban is officially a douche.

Did any of his movies win last night?

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Clooney got Best Supporting Actor.

"Dirk Does Dallas" didn't win anything.

phyzik
03-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Gustavo Santaolalla

Adapted Screenplay
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana

Achievement in Directing
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Ang Lee

Looks like the real life Story of Mark Cuban and Dirk Nowitzki took home several awards.

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Re: Why there are so many whiny Mavs fans?? Their just following their leader.

Who are Spurs fans following??? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ducks
05-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Page 2 of 2

Now referees aren't allowed to have personalities, to the point of barring them from talking to the press. It's all corporate … except for Cuban, who has paid more than $1 million in fines and made matching donations to charity to show how much it bothered him.

There's more to Cuban than his enfant terrible act, breathing life into his franchise. Despite an ego struggle with coach Don Nelson, they kept it together for five seasons until Nellie walked away, when Cuban turned to Avery Johnson, whom Nelson had nominated as his successor.

Cuban's willingness to answer e-mails makes him the people's owner of all time. On the other hand, he's a little too down-to-earth, acting like a yahoo on talk radio.

His team, he claims, either wins or has it stolen by referees, supervised by the bumbling league office while the national press, which hates Cuban, the Mavericks and Dallas, makes up lies.

Cuban's May 23 blog, the day after his team eliminated the Spurs, was standard conspiracy theory, noting TNT's website had put up a montage of players from Detroit, Miami and Phoenix, with San Antonio's Tim Duncan where Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki should have been.

"I guess we didn't get the memo," wrote Cuban. "Unbelievable? Not to the Mavs family. We don't care what the national media thinks. We don't care what the NBA thinks. We believe!"

Actually, if it wasn't for Cuban, no one would have anything against the Mavericks, who are low-key guys and indisputably an elite team. Nor is Dallas some burg pining to be major league. The Cowboys once billed themselves as America's Team and had the national TV ratings to back it up.

With Cuban around, America's Team may now be Whoever's Playing the Mavericks.

As great as the Mavericks-Spurs series was, Cuban, not Nowitzki, may have been the MVP for going onto the floor in Game 1. (Ka-ching! This is the league, that'll be $200,000. Do you want to use the credit card on your account?)

Coaches think drawing a technical foul buys a call or two, but 200K buys more than that.

The Mavericks won Game 3 because of a 50-32 edge in free-throw attempts, with Duncan fouling out when Nowitzki came down on his foot. They won Game 4 when the officials put Nowitzki on the line at the end after a little bump by Bruce Bowen. In Game 7, the officials let Nowitzki get away with going over Duncan's shoulder and hacking him to prevent the winning layup.

There are always questionable calls both ways and the Mavericks proved themselves as worthy as the Spurs. Nevertheless, with Cuban's exuberance and Johnson's determination to toughen his team up, Big D now stands for Dizzy.

Dallas fans booed the Spurs' Michael Finley, the fourth-leading scorer in Mavericks history, who left only after being dumped for luxury tax relief.

If that wasn't bad enough on the yahoo scale, several media outlets encouraged fans to boo Nash, whose departure to Phoenix had been lamented locally while he was twice most valuable player for the Suns.

Even Cuban, who suggested Finley was a "crybaby," thought that was a bit much and, as Jerry Stackhouse noted, it might be good to "let sleeping dogs lie."

Bingo!

Nash scored 10 of his 27 points in the last 3:26 of Game 1 as the Suns came from nine down to steal it. With Raja Bell reportedly out until Game 5, they remain underdogs but as we in the national media like to say, it ain't over till it's over.

Faces and Figures

Something else that would take some pressure off referees: A no foul-out rule. It's hard to believe we're still talking about it because it's been discussed at all levels of the game for decades and I've never heard a good argument against it…. Meanwhile in the East: The Detroit and Miami media are busy insulting each other's teams, calling Shaquille O'Neal "old and fat" and the Pistons "smug." Indeed, the every-other-day schedule will be hard for O'Neal, especially with three-hour flights after Games 4, 5 and 6, and Pistons officials say privately their players haven't looked as hungry since four became All-Stars…. The East finals also feature, or are embarrassed by, Detroit's Flip Saunders hacking Shaq and Miami's Pat Riley hacking Ben Wallace, highlighting the need to take all intentional fouling out of the game. Any foul that isn't a play on the ball should be penalized by awarding two free throws and the ball….

Lottery scenario, first of many: 1. Toronto doesn't want to re-sign mouthy free agent Mike James and trades down for Portland's No. 4 pick plus Steve Blake or Jarrett Jack. Portland, which wants to dump Theo Ratliff's salary and isn't sure it can re-sign Joel Przybilla, takes LaMarcus Aldridge. 2. Chicago, happy to take Aldridge or Tyrus Thomas, takes Thomas. 3. Charlotte takes Adam Morrison. 4. Toronto takes seven-footer Andrea Bargnani, a crack three-point shooter, as GM Bryan Colangelo gets set to spread the floor as he did in Phoenix. 5. Atlanta needs a point guard but takes Brandon Roy, who's too good to pass up. 6. Minnesota needs someone who can help now with Kevin Garnett antsy, takes Randy Foye. 7. Boston takes Marcus Williams. 8. Houston does a sign-and-trade for James (let's say Luther Head and Clarence Weatherspoon's expiring contract) and drafts another crack shooter, J.J. Redick. 9. Golden State takes seven-footer Patrick O'Bryant, whose stock is rising. 10. Seattle, going young and athletic, takes Rudy Gay….

Even in the Knicks' theater of the absurd, it was a memorable week. Team officials called police, who threatened to arrest media people waiting for Coach Larry Brown in the practice facility parking lot. The media retreated across the road to a grassy strip next to a ditch as traffic whizzed by, including Brown, who waved from his SUV but didn't stop…. Knicks officials maintained their silence on reports they'll buy out Brown and corporate boss James Dolan put off his request for a meeting, letting Brown twist in the wind. However, with Dolan's rock band, JD and the Straight Shot, scheduled to play at a Manhattan club this week, the New York Daily News' Frank Isola wrote, "Can't you just see Brown holding a beer in one hand … rocking his head to the music?" … Just in case, 100 or so media people will be there, holding beers and rocking, too.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...ack=1&cset=true
Page 2 has the Spurs stuff.

RonMexico
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
I've seen Dirk attack the rim and no call many times in the playoffs. It almost comes to the point where I expect a no call and Dirk would be better off shooting jumpers than attacking and getting no call.

Wrong. Because if there is a no-call, then he'll get it back with 5 seconds left on a bump from Bruce Bowen

dbestpro
05-31-2006, 06:02 PM
I hate the really whimpy fans who act like its okay for the Spurs to get jobbed by the refs. I bet you don't say nothing when people cut in line, its a great day when somone lets the air out of your tires, and you simply love paying taxes.

Be a Spurs fan or get the hell out of the way!

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
I hate the really whimpy fans who act like its okay for the Spurs to get jobbed by the refs. I bet you don't say nothing when people cut in line, its a great day when somone lets the air out of your tires, and you simply love paying taxes.

LOL!!

GO SILVER STARS GO!!

mavsfan1000
05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
The irony of the name of this thread. :lol

LEONARD
05-31-2006, 06:18 PM
The irony of the name of this thread. :lol

I don't know if anybody "got it"... :lol

irony........we'll see how much you fuckers bitch if you lose this thing.
avery bitches every time you lose.

If the Suns win they're the better team...no bitching from me!!

strangeweather
05-31-2006, 06:19 PM

And I hate whiny-ass homers who completely fail to notice all the breaks their team gets, but think they were completely robbed on every single call that goes the other way, regardless of what team they root for.

I bet you flip a coin 50 times in a row and complain that you got jobbed every single time it lands on tails. People like you mooch off welfare for 5 years, then when they finally boot your ass off and you have to get a job, you start bitching about how taxes are robbing you blind.

SAGambler
05-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I know refs are going to miss calls or make wrong calls throughout the game. Those I can live with, because over the course of the game they usually pretty much even out for both teams.

The calls I hate are the ones the make or don't make in the final minute or so of a game that ends up deciding the game. When someone gets hacked trying to make a putback, it's a goddamn foul....I don't care if there is on a second and half left in the game.

toosmallshoes
06-01-2006, 02:05 AM
At least the Maverick fans can blame their owner for being whiners.
what's everyone's excuse in here?
Mavs fans are dicks. Why are they even still here on Spurstalk? We don't like them. They're rude and whiney. They're just still on the board to talk shit, and that is part of why we don't like them. I Think they have a great team, and Avery Johnson is a fantastic coach. But Cuban sucks and so do their fans. Go thump your chests somewhere else.

ponky
06-01-2006, 02:58 AM

Excuse them, their season is over and they have nothing better to do than play musical chairs rooting for the "other three," ponder whether Lindsey Hunter or Gana Diop would be a good match for the Spurs and oh yeah, obssess over Mark Cuban, Mavericks fans and AJ's wife, basically things which have little to do with basketball. Let's not forget how many officiating threads were started on a certain forum about two weeks ago; so many that the owner had to make a *special* thread to contain them all. Yeah, we're whiners, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Mavfans are obsessed with the Spurs and Spurfans. Why else would they be here?

ponky
06-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Mavfans are obsessed with the Spurs and Spurfans. Why else would they be here?

This must be somewhere around 5-5 or maybe even 6-6, let me check the other thread and see if you posted.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey, I just got home.

It's my board. It's where I go.

I was here first.

Etc.

ponky
06-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Hey, I just got home.

It's my board. It's where I go.

I was here first.

Etc.

Ok, neanderthal.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Ok, stalker.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-01-2006, 03:26 AM
as someone already said, every team and their fans think they get ripped off at some point. Its nothing new and there is no point calling out others for whining coz everyone has done it or will do it at some point.

Refs arent perfect and some games are really badly skewed to one team but fans whining wont change the outcome.

Mavs fans aren't any worse than any other teams fans (Nuggets, Spurs, whoever ) when it comes to whining :smokin

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm not sure. I don't remember so many fans whining about refs after their team won.

LEONARD
06-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Mavs fans are dicks. Why are they even still here on Spurstalk? We don't like them. They're rude and whiney. They're just still on the board to talk shit, and that is part of why we don't like them. I Think they have a great team, and Avery Johnson is a fantastic coach. But Cuban sucks and so do their fans. Go thump your chests somewhere else.

Your reply is the exact reason why most of the Mavs fans are still here... :lol

I'm not sure. I don't remember so many fans whining about refs after their team won.

Huh???

CharlieMac
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I know refs are going to miss calls or make wrong calls throughout the game. Those I can live with, because over the course of the game they usually pretty much even out for both teams.

The calls I hate are the ones the make or don't make in the final minute or so of a game that ends up deciding the game. When someone gets hacked trying to make a putback, it's a goddamn foul....I don't care if there is on a second and half left in the game.

The thing that really fucking gets to me is hearing the media or Mav's fans comment on Game 7 by saying, " You don't call a ticky-tack foul in the last few seconds of game 7 of a series and let a game be decided at the free throw line, you let it be decided in overtime." (regarding Dirk hold Tim down after Tim got the offensive rebound off of Manu's missed lay-up).

Yet they had no problem with letting Dirk go to the line to send that game into overtime after the call on Manu for the 3 point play.

DampierAmGod
06-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Too bad Dirk didn't even foul Duncan on that play.

Not to mention we had a 20+ lead in the game and the refs were the only reason SA was in a position to win the game there. So they didn't you ANOTHER call and give you the game, oh well. Instead they sent it to OT where the Spurs choked bigtime and Duncan got owned by Diop :lol

CharlieMac
06-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Page 2 of 2

Now referees aren't allowed to have personalities, to the point of barring them from talking to the press. It's all corporate … except for Cuban, who has paid more than $1 million in fines and made matching donations to charity to show how much it bothered him.

There's more to Cuban than his enfant terrible act, breathing life into his franchise. Despite an ego struggle with coach Don Nelson, they kept it together for five seasons until Nellie walked away, when Cuban turned to Avery Johnson, whom Nelson had nominated as his successor.

Cuban's willingness to answer e-mails makes him the people's owner of all time. On the other hand, he's a little too down-to-earth, acting like a yahoo on talk radio.

His team, he claims, either wins or has it stolen by referees, supervised by the bumbling league office while the national press, which hates Cuban, the Mavericks and Dallas, makes up lies.

Cuban's May 23 blog, the day after his team eliminated the Spurs, was standard conspiracy theory, noting TNT's website had put up a montage of players from Detroit, Miami and Phoenix, with San Antonio's Tim Duncan where Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki should have been.

"I guess we didn't get the memo," wrote Cuban. "Unbelievable? Not to the Mavs family. We don't care what the national media thinks. We don't care what the NBA thinks. We believe!"

Actually, if it wasn't for Cuban, no one would have anything against the Mavericks, who are low-key guys and indisputably an elite team. Nor is Dallas some burg pining to be major league. The Cowboys once billed themselves as America's Team and had the national TV ratings to back it up.

With Cuban around, America's Team may now be Whoever's Playing the Mavericks.

As great as the Mavericks-Spurs series was, Cuban, not Nowitzki, may have been the MVP for going onto the floor in Game 1. (Ka-ching! This is the league, that'll be $200,000. Do you want to use the credit card on your account?)

Coaches think drawing a technical foul buys a call or two, but 200K buys more than that.

The Mavericks won Game 3 because of a 50-32 edge in free-throw attempts, with Duncan fouling out when Nowitzki came down on his foot. They won Game 4 when the officials put Nowitzki on the line at the end after a little bump by Bruce Bowen. In Game 7, the officials let Nowitzki get away with going over Duncan's shoulder and hacking him to prevent the winning layup.

There are always questionable calls both ways and the Mavericks proved themselves as worthy as the Spurs. Nevertheless, with Cuban's exuberance and Johnson's determination to toughen his team up, Big D now stands for Dizzy.

Dallas fans booed the Spurs' Michael Finley, the fourth-leading scorer in Mavericks history, who left only after being dumped for luxury tax relief.

If that wasn't bad enough on the yahoo scale, several media outlets encouraged fans to boo Nash, whose departure to Phoenix had been lamented locally while he was twice most valuable player for the Suns.

Even Cuban, who suggested Finley was a "crybaby," thought that was a bit much and, as Jerry Stackhouse noted, it might be good to "let sleeping dogs lie."

Bingo!

Nash scored 10 of his 27 points in the last 3:26 of Game 1 as the Suns came from nine down to steal it. With Raja Bell reportedly out until Game 5, they remain underdogs but as we in the national media like to say, it ain't over till it's over.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...ack=1&cset=true
Page 2 has the Spurs stuff.

I guess it isn't only Spurs fans that have a problem with the Mavs? Shocking. He's really right on one thing, no one hates the mavs players, just Cuban's 15 year old attitude regarding basketball.

CharlieMac
06-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Too bad Dirk didn't even foul Duncan on that play.

Not to mention we had a 20+ lead in the game and the refs were the only reason SA was in a position to win the game there. So they didn't you ANOTHER call and give you the game, oh well. Instead they sent it to OT where the Spurs choked bigtime and Duncan got owned by Diop :lol

Yeah, the refs really know how to coax in a 3 point shot by Micheal Finley. The Mavs never blow leads, it's actually quite an anomaly when they do.

DampierAmGod
06-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the refs really know how to coax in a 3 point shot by Micheal Finley. The Mavs never blow leads, it's actually quite an anomaly when they do.

No one said they never blow leads. Wasn't the FT differential like 28-6 at one point? Yea, we overcame though and won so oh well but it's hilarious to see people whining about a no call on a non-foul at the end of the game when bullshit calls were the only reason their team wasn't blown out by 20+ points for the 2nd time in the series. Not to mention the team had an overtime period to win a game 7 on their home court but choked.

ChumpDumper
06-01-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't remember so many fans whining about refs after their team won.

pache100
06-01-2006, 09:17 AM
irony........we'll see how much you fuckers bitch if you lose this thing.
avery bitches every time you lose.

AJ bitches when they WIN, too.