PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix looked scary today

RobinsontoDuncan
03-05-2006, 06:36 PM
I know that Dallas doesn't play quite the same brand of defense that the Spurs play, but Amare Stoudamire wasnt in the lineup today and that makes me worried. If the Spurs have to hit these Suns in the playoffs-- a suns team that seams better due to the depth they got from the Joe Johnson trade-- then we may have a really tough time beating them come march.

All I can say is, I hope the Spurs bring their A game against Phoenix this week, and I hope Amare doesnt make them better.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 06:40 PM
They showed up for one quarter. Phoenix needs to learn how to play for a whole game.

They are allowing an unholy amount of points lately. This year's team has had injury issues, so I can understand some aspects, but their defense needs to get back to where it was around Christmas time. I believe they were top-15 in defensive FG% and were top-10 in limiting offensive rebounding.

Now they are middle to late of the pack.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-05-2006, 06:41 PM
I think amare showed in last years playoffs how good he can be defensivly when he wants to be.

Frenchise player
03-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Phoenix will be the big X factor for the Playoffs. No one knows how good this team will be with everyone back. They are increadibly deep, that's the main thing different from last year. How Diaw's game will translate to the playoffs? Will Marion be stoped by Bowen like last year? I think that they have more talent than anyone in the league, but talent doesn't mean championship.
The Spurs will face some tough competition this year with Dallas, Phoenix and Detroit.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Phoenix will be the big X factor for the Playoffs. No one knows how good this team will be with everyone back. They are increadibly deep, that's the main thing different from last year. How Diaw's game will translate to the playoffs? Will Marion be stoped by Bowen like last year? I think that they have more talent than anyone in the league, but talent doesn't mean championship.
The Spurs will face some tough competition this year with Dallas, Phoenix and Detroit.
Great post there. I totally agree with this.

SirChaz
03-05-2006, 06:52 PM
This is a huge week for Phoenix.

Possible first round opponent, that has given us trouble, on a back to back and then SA on Thursday.

Gutty win over the Mavs. They were destroying the Suns inside but the Suns found a way to shut it down in the fourth. The Suns want to force a jump shooting game and they were able to do that down the stretch.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Don't mistake the Mavs' choke job as an increasing threat to us. Phoenix still plays about as much defense as a hooker on dollar night.

SirChaz
03-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Don't mistake the Mavs' choke job as an increasing threat to us. Phoenix still plays about as much defense as a hooker on dollar night.

They played enough to win the last game.

They came close the first game.

If you want to admit it or not they are an increasing threat. Even in thier depleated state.
The Spurs proved themselves last year but this season there are games left to be played.

In any event it should be an interesting matchup.

RobinsontoDuncan
03-05-2006, 07:02 PM
All I can say is Jesus Christ the championship hasnt been this wide open in more than a decade.

I count 5 elite teams that could really challenge this year, with the 5th team being Miami (whom i really want to beat the pistons and come out of the east, much better match for the spurs) three of them (Dallas, Detroit, and Phoneix) have a strong inside presence and can rebound well, with Dallas being the worst rebounding team (perhaps not statistically, but in a big game--hell yeah) and Detroit being the best. SA to me is the X factor in these playoffs, because frankly I dont think anyone knows what to expect from this team.

The Spurs have a hobbled superstar, is he just on cruise control, we all hope so, but that doesnt mean its true. We have a semi-hurting #2 guy in Manu that has been inconsistant all year, and then we have a point gaurd that shrinks in the playoffs. The team has been inconsitant this year and hasnt played as a team, if the Spurs can shrug of the crap ciricling them (they look old, they dont play with emotional intensity, the role players havent been clutch, there has been a lack of athleticism in the front court, there has been a lack of athleticism over all, no real punch off the bench) and they really come out firing, then this team can make waves, but I think they need t shake out of a season long funk (45-12 and that's a funk? thank god I'm a spurs fan) and put it together. I think the spurs are the team everyone ought to have a big question mark next to.

Bruno
03-05-2006, 07:03 PM
The good thing for Suns is that they won't meet Spurs, Mavs or Clippers until the WCF : they will have time to find chemistry if Amaré is back this season.

And they are deep this year :
Nash, Barbosa, Bell, House, Jones, Marion, Stoudamire, Kurt Thomas, Diaw, Tim Thomas are a very solid 10 men team.
They only lack of a true defnesive center (like Hunter) : Burke sucks.

I think Spurs will beat them if we meet them in the playoff.
This year is maybe too soon for them (lack of chemistry).
If they can sign a center via FA this summer, they will be scary next year.

JamStone
03-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I think the really "scary" part of today's game was how easily and quickly they are able to erase a double digit deficit. Several times when the Mavs got up by 9-11 points, the Suns basically had 6-10 pt runs to get right back in the game in what amounted to be seconds, not even minutes. Even a 15 point lead would not mean a team is burying the Suns. Now, of course teams with better transition defense and better team rebounding might be able stop those big runs better. But, it was still impressive, even against Dallas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Chaz,

The Suns don't play defense. I can't say it any plainer. They'll score about 110 PPG if they meet the Spurs this year in the playoffs, problem is the Spurs will score about 120 PPG.

grjr
03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Fuckin Hawks.

mavsfan1000
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
It looked like the suns played defense when it matters. Yes they get lazy sometimes but they are so quick to comeback on teams and are capable of slowing teams down like they did today in the 4th quarter.

SirChaz
03-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Chaz,

The Suns don't play defense. I can't say it any plainer. They'll score about 110 PPG if they meet the Spurs this year in the playoffs, problem is the Spurs will score about 120 PPG.

Frankly the Spurs offense doesn't scare me much either.

This is not they same team that allowed 120 to the Spurs last year. That is all I am trying to say. I think the Spurs average about 90-95 against them so far this year.
As for this year's playoffs, I guess we will find out. The Suns don't have enough size to play strait up interior defense. Their defensive philosophy is to take teams out of their comfort zone and make them try unfamiliar things. Like post up strange mismatches they are not used to having. They are very active and quick. Then they run off of every miss they can get.

Frankly I agree that without some additional help it will probably not be enough against the Spurs. They are very disciplined and well coached.

boutons_
03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Amare will play plenty of defense, when he wants to. It's up to him.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Sorry, but the Suns played better defense than Dallas today. The Mavs did a good job of getting back on defense, but that's not really good defense. They defended the pick and roll for a stretch in the first quarter, but if the Mavs don't have shots falling, they lose. Period.

Kori Ellis
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
One interesting thing in the upcoming Spurs-Suns game will be Marion.

Marion has taken his game to another level as of late (and I'm happy about that because I have him on a few fantasy teams). But he was pretty much neutralized by Bowen in last season's playoffs.

I look forward to this week's matchup primarily to see those two battle.

Trooper 2112
03-05-2006, 08:42 PM
All I can say is, I hope the Spurs bring their A game against Phoenix this week, and I hope Amare doesnt make them better.

So amare's returning by Thursday?

SirChaz
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
So amare's returning by Thursday?

No, I don't think so.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
There's reports that Amare may not be back until April, to which I would rather him just sit out for good, if this is the case.

Chemistry is more important come playoff time than talent and factoring in the risk involved, if Amare can't be back within a week or two, I'd just assume the Suns remain this team (until Thomas comes back) and Amare get healthy and stronger and in shape for next year.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 08:49 PM
There's reports that Amare may not be back until April, to which I would rather him just sit out for good, if this is the case.

Chemistry is more important come playoff time than talent and factoring in the risk involved, if Amare can't be back within a week or two, I'd just assume the Suns remain this team (until Thomas comes back) and Amare get healthy and stronger and in shape for next year.

I agree. It would certainly be bad for basketball if Amare came back too soon and reinjured himself. With Amare at 100 percent, the Suns may not be a better team than they were last year, so there's zero point in risking him if he isn't ready.

Solid D
03-05-2006, 09:21 PM
It's been said before but I'll just reiterate that the Suns have so much length that they give most teams match-up problems. The Spurs are no exception - the Suns will give them trouble also. No team has more wing players with condor-like sweep than Phoenix, including a long-armed guard in Leandro Barbosa who plays much bigger than 6'3".

Considering the 6'10" SF Tim Thomas has been added to the mix it appears the Suns are hoarding all the "long 3s".

picnroll
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Fuckin Hawks.
Atalnta gave away Sheed to the Pistons. Atlanta basically gave away Diaw. I agree. Fuckin Hawks.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't say gave away Diaw. They did get JJ, a player who was a standup, on-court presense. He won a lot of games for Phoenix. It was hard seeing him leave.

Now, Atlanta throwing in a lottory pick for 2007 makes them "Fuckin Hawks"!!!

picnroll
03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Hawks blinked. Suns weren't going to match Jackson's salary.

Gerryatrics
03-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Brent Barry = Suns Killer

BillsCarnage
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I remember when so many predicted doom and gloom for the Suns when Amare went down. That they were a .500 or lottery team w/o him.

Last years team would depend on scoring runs to get back in a game or blow an opponent out. This years still does that, but tightens up the D when needed. They've been giving up a ton of points, but will shut a team down at the end of a game if needed. The certainly shut the Mavs down the last 4min.

The Hornets give them fits and could end the streak, but the matchup w/Spurs should be a doozy.

Sii
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
All I can say is Jesus Christ the championship hasnt been this wide open in more than a decade.

its not. the Spurs and Det and are a collision course and baring injury there is no reason either team shouldnt win their conf. Dallas nor the Suns will beat the Spurs 4 times in seven games and Miami, indy, nor anyone in the East will do the same to Det

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 10:29 PM
its not. the Spurs and Det and are a collision course and baring injury there is no reason either team shouldnt win their conf. Dallas nor the Suns will beat the Spurs 4 times in seven games and Miami, indy, nor anyone in the East will do the same to Det

But that's the thing. The Spurs are hobbled now and likely aren't going to get healthy.

Are the Spurs and Pistons still the favorites? Sure. Overwelming? No.

Detroit is due for a setback.

Sii
03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
But that's the thing. The Spurs are hobbled now and likely aren't going to get healthy.

Are the Spurs and Pistons still the favorites? Sure. Overwelming? No.

Detroit is due for a setback.

Duncan says he is feeling good and the best he has all year. His foot certainly cant get any worse by playing on it from reports. Reports are Manu is starting to get healthy and its only a matter of time before he is back in top form. its wishful thinking to non spurs fans to expect them to be hobbling into the playoffs. There isnt a team in the west that SHOULD beat them 4 times in 7 games.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Doubt the Spurs' players are as complacent as some of their fans.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
... its wishful thinking to non spurs fans to expect them to be hobbling into the playoffs. There isnt a team in the west that SHOULD beat them 4 times in 7 games.

I don't know about the health aspect of your post, but this?

Why, because San Antonio has been so healthy throughour recent history? Duncan and Ginobili are injured often enough to at the very least say their health is a small question mark. Especially when they've been hobbled for large portions of the season.

As for the last part, the past is the past. This year is this year.

I think both the Suns and the Mavs can defeat the Spurs in a seven game series. Will they? unlikely, but they certain can.

They shouldn't be expected to lose, if that's what you're implying.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Completely untrue. Manu is healing up and Duncan won't get worse, but might get better. He completely clowned Kevin Garnett after a couple of days to rest. He'll have plenty of rest between playoff games. Besides, 80 percent of Duncan is better than 100 percent of most team's big men.

Injuries are the great equalizer, and talking about what might happen on that front is useless. The only team that can beat the Spurs is the Spurs.

Sii
03-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Doubt the Spurs' players are as complacent as some of their fans.

call it whatever you want but no team in the west should be able to beat the Spurs 4 times in just 7 games. certainly not Dallas or the Suns. the suns are a bit better this year but they still dont play much defense and havent closed the gap from the almost sweep last year by the Spurs

picnroll
03-05-2006, 10:52 PM
call it whatever you want but no team in the west should be able to beat the Spurs 4 times in just 7 games. certainly not Dallas or the Suns. the suns are a bit better this year but they still dont play much defense and havent closed the gap from the almost sweep last year by the Spurs

If Duncan starts playing closer to MVP form and Manu to all star form I'll say you're right. Neither Duncan or Manu are near that level yet.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
...The only team that can beat the Spurs is the Spurs.

As I said afterwards, I'm not up entirely on the Spurs health, but I know that the best way for Duncan to heal is to stop playing for a while. He's not, so it's reasonable to assume he'll be hobbled in a month.

As for the quote above... It's nice to see that if the Spurs do get beat, you're already practicing the excuses.

Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs lose and GET beat at the same time.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 11:19 PM
As I said afterwards, I'm not up entirely on the Spurs health, but I know that the best way for Duncan to heal is to stop playing for a while. He's not, so it's reasonable to assume he'll be hobbled in a month.

As for the quote above... It's nice to see that if the Spurs do get beat, you're already practicing the excuses.

Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs lose and GET beat at the same time.
Some of you guys need to try to understand that the plantar fasciitis won't get worse than it is, and yet the Spurs are still holding their own. If Duncan starts to rest right now and doesn't play until he's well, the playoffs will be over.

The Spurs have shown a tendency to just fold up the tents and call it a season in previous playoff years. I was this confident in the Spurs the year they got swept by the Lakers, too. The Spurs didn't show up. It's just a fact of life with this team sometimes.

The above two scenarios are the only hope that anyone else has unless you'd like to hope for an injury. Only Mavericks fans do that, however.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 11:21 PM

Not an excuse. Just a fact. If Duncan and Manu are at full strength and Amare and Thomas come back in good shape it will be a horse race. If Amare and Thomas come back strong and Duncan and Manu don't return to form I expect Suns to take the Spurs. If Duncan and Manu are solid and no Amare and Thomas I don't think Suns will have a chance.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Not an excuse. Just a fact. If Duncan and Manu are at full strength and Amare and Thomas come back in good shape it will be a horse race. If Amare and Thomas come back strong and Duncan and Manu don't return to form I expect Suns to take the Spurs. If Duncan and Manu are solid and no Amare and Thomas I don't think Suns will have a chance.
With a healthy Stoudamire, clicking on all cylinders, the Suns will have to play out of their minds to beat the Spurs 4 out of 7, even with Duncan playing the way he is. The Suns fans suddenly showing up after winning the game today doesn't suddenly make their team relevant.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Here's one for you (If Duncan starts playing closer to MVP form and Manu to all star form I'll say yes.) JMarkJohns

Duncan finds shot in difficult victory

Web Posted: 03/05/2006 03:22 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With fans sending in home remedies for plantar fasciitis and the Decline of Duncan rumors beginning to sweep across the NBA landscape the past two weeks, the Spurs coaches just smiled and shrugged.

Tim Duncan, in their eyes, looked better than he had in three months. He had begun to track down rebounds. Attack more aggressively in the post.

His sore right foot, which had slowed him for much of the season, didn't seem to be bothering him as much as his ailing shot.

On Saturday night, Duncan took a step toward fixing that, too. With 22 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks, he led the Spurs past Portland 101-81 at the AT&T Center.

"Maybe," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "it's a portent of things to come."

The Spurs can only hope. Duncan entered Saturday averaging 14.4 points on 38.4 percent shooting in his previous 11 games. His last 20-point game came on Jan. 28 against Minnesota.

But as Duncan's scoring average dropped, his step also quickened. By putting a stopwatch to game film, the Spurs noticed he was making his moves faster after catching the ball.

A pair of five-day breaks in February might have helped his foot. As did a change in shoes.

"I've been feeling a lot better, as healthy as I have all season," said Duncan, who made 10 of 16 shots. "Right now it's just about shots going down and continuing to work through it."

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Some of you guys need to try to understand that the plantar fasciitis won't get worse than it is, and yet the Spurs are still holding their own. If Duncan starts to rest right now and doesn't play until he's well, the playoffs will be over.

I never said worse. I said continue to be hobbled.

The Spurs have shown a tendency to just fold up the tents and call it a season in previous playoff years. I was this confident in the Spurs the year they got swept by the Lakers, too. The Spurs didn't show up. It's just a fact of life with this team sometimes.

All right, I see your side of the quote. Still doesn't mean that the Spurs can't be beat by a team that just outplayed them without the Spurs playing down.

The above two scenarios are the only hope that anyone else has unless you'd like to hope for an injury. Only Mavericks fans do that, however.

No. I wish both teams could be completely healthy with plenty of time for chemistry development. However, since that's unlikely, I'm not going to cry that Amare's out, just as I won't cry if Duncan is hobbled.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 11:38 PM

What if Manu and Duncan are slightly hobbled and the Suns don't have Amare and/or Thomas?

What then?

That's the scenerio I see likely playing out. Both teams coming in at a slight disadvantage.

I think the Spurs are clearly better, but not by such a huge margin, that a Phoenix win in seven means the Spurs just choked.

picnroll
03-05-2006, 11:41 PM
What if Manu and Duncan are slightly hobbled and the Suns don't have Amare and/or Thomas?

What then?

That's the scenerio I see likely playing out. Both teams coming in at a slight disadvantage.

I think the Spurs are clearly better, but not by such a huge margin, that a Phoenix win in seven means the Spurs just choked.
No Thomas or Amare I can't see the Suns winning. Spurs are tougher minded and Pop will outcoach D'Antoni at crunch time imo.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
That's the likely scenerio I'd agree with. I just take exception to the "Spurs can't lose unless they beat themselves" attitude. The Suns and Mavericks are very good and present very tough matchups. I think either could beat the Spurs without the Spurs just choking.

That's my main gripe.

But no problem if anyone clings to such a line of thought.

Obstructed_View
03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I never said worse. I said continue to be hobbled.
Actually you said "it's reasonable to assume he'll be hobbled in a month." Since I wouldn't exactly characterize him as hobbled right now, it sounded like you thought he would get worse. He won't. Unless something else happens, he'll play better with a couple of days between games. There probably won't be any back to backs.

All right, I see your side of the quote. Still doesn't mean that the Spurs can't be beat by a team that just outplayed them without the Spurs playing down.We're past the trade deadline. If everybody plays to their potential it just won't happen. It's nice that you believe in your team, though.

No. I wish both teams could be completely healthy with plenty of time for chemistry development. However, since that's unlikely, I'm not going to cry that Amare's out, just as I won't cry if Duncan is hobbled.As much as I wish the Suns were completely healthy, that's what's going to kill them. I think it's completely valid to acknowledge his absence. The Spurs don't need Duncan at 100 percent to win the title. He's probably stronger, if in more pain, than he was with his ankle problems last year. If the Suns beat the Spurs in seven games I will believe that they choked, even if I have the courtesy not to say so. I warn you that I will probably say so if it happens, if for no other reason than to show you why I was right.

JMarkJohns
03-05-2006, 11:58 PM
You play who ya got, you beat who ya play.

End of story. No excuses.

Whichever team wins, wins. In a seven-game series, a choke would have to be something of legand, ala the Kings a few years back.

Only time one game can beat ya is game 7 and if said team was so much better than the other, there shouldn't even be a game 7.

picnroll
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Choking is part of the game.Rather I feel my team lost because they were beat than choked. Spurs fans no about choking. Spurs choked to the Lakers a couple of times including in 2004.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
beno udrih>satan>suns>allice

Louie Vega
03-06-2006, 02:44 AM
I think amare showed in last years playoffs how good he can be defensivly when he wants to be.

Decide what team you are going for bro. Phoenix will fold when they have to go against us. The Spurs know what to do to take them out of their game. Let Amare score all the points he wants and shut everyone else down. We have enough haters and doubters out there. :fro

DMFFL341
03-06-2006, 09:30 AM
They looked the same today. No defense. We didn't play any either but we were missing what helps anchor our defense in Josh Howard and didn't have KVH or Harris and we missed some open shots and missed some rebounds and that's really why we lost.

Bruno
03-06-2006, 09:40 AM
They looked the same today. No defense. We didn't play any either but we were missing what helps anchor our defense in Josh Howard and didn't have KVH or Harris and we missed some open shots and missed some rebounds and that's really why we lost.

That's a reason why Phoenix deserves props for this win.
Without Kurt Thomas, Suns' defense isn't the same.

CharlieMac
03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Amare is the one person I hate in this league.

Those commercials lately really bother me. He hasn't even made a successful comeback, yet they're acting like he has. Man, push-ups bother me too.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 09:53 AM
It was a good win for Phoenix, but they only took us to 5 games with Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudamire last year. Likewise, they won't beat us with Kurt Thomas and Amare Stoudamire this year, even with the other help that they got in Diaw and Tim Thomas.

I like the Suns a lot, and if we go down, I will be pulling for them. But beating the Spurs 4 games out of 7 is a tough proposition.

JMarkJohns
03-06-2006, 10:06 AM
For all intents and purposes, Johnson could barely see out of one eye, so I wouldn't start pretending that the Suns were completely healthy.

Spurs whooped the Suns, but as said by a Spurs fan here, it was the closest five-game series every played. Every game was determined by one shot.

With a little more experience, maybe the Suns make a few more of those shots.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 10:35 AM
For all intents and purposes, Johnson could barely see out of one eye, so I wouldn't start pretending that the Suns were completely healthy.

Spurs whooped the Suns, but as said by a Spurs fan here, it was the closest five-game series every played. Every game was determined by one shot.

With a little more experience, maybe the Suns make a few more of those shots.
Joe Johnson, or as he's known in Phoenix, Bill Braskey... :lol

101A
03-06-2006, 10:45 AM
...They came close the first game.

Close means absolutely nothing.

There's no such thing as "almost" beat them - and it doesn't mean a team has any more chance the next time. It probably means the team will lose another "close" game again.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I must have missed when the NBA added a five and seven-point line. If a Spurs fan said it, they were probably trying to be nice. Not really something for you to run with.

Extra Stout
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Phoenix is a bigger threat to the Spurs than the Mavs are.

But their chances of beating the Spurs are outside at best.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2006, 11:00 AM
i remember in one of those playoff games, i think game 3 when they were up by 17pts in the third qaurter and they thought the game was in the bag, untill pop pulled out his bag goin with a small lineup with barry n beno in the backcourt with gino+horry n duncan, just destroyed them and caught up in the 4th quarter to steal the win.

BENO>nash

Jimcs50
03-06-2006, 11:02 AM

They are not an X factor, they are a legit condender and I think they will beat SA, if Amare comes back to the level he was at last year.

T Park
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Every game was determined by one shot.

wasn't game 3 a 15 point blowout?

Game 1 was a 7 point win by the Spurs.

Game 2 was a 3 point win, game 5 a 4 or 5 point win.

Uhh yeah ok.

CharlieMac
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
I must have missed when the NBA added a five and seven-point line. If a Spurs fan said it, they were probably trying to be nice. Not really something for you to run with.
No joke.

T Park
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I think they will beat SA, if Amare comes back to the level he was at last year.

If he does.

Once again, people lose shots.

Bell loses his, Jones loses his, Nash, Thomas, the list goes on.

But, I do agree.

If the Spurs and Suns meet up again in the WCF, itll go 6.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Beno Udrih Looms!

JamStone
03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
If he does.

Once again, people lose shots.

Bell loses his, Jones loses his, Nash, Thomas, the list goes on.

And who would want slam dunks over long 3-pointers??

SirChaz
03-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Close means absolutely nothing.

There's no such thing as "almost" beat them - and it doesn't mean a team has any more chance the next time. It probably means the team will lose another "close" game again.

Try a little context next time. :rolleyes

I never said almost so don't put words in my mouth.

Close means both teams scored in the 90's and the game wasn't decided until the last minute.
Not bad for a team that according to Aggie plays absolutely NO defense.

Both teams have won at home so far. Both in close games.
That is all I am saying.

DMFFL341
03-06-2006, 11:54 AM

You obviously admire Charles Barkley so I don't know if I should pick this fight, but I will anyways. The Suns do play absolutely NO DEFNSE! They average 108 points per game and they are 5 games behind the Mavs and Spurs, something is not working, maybe their defense? And who said the Mavs have less of a chance of challenging the Spurs in the playoffs? Is that a fucking joke? We have a defensive minded coach who forces it on us to play defense and we still have a damn good offense too. We are much more equipped to beat the Spurs in the playoffs than the Suns with or without Amare.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Again, it's funny that all the Suns fans show up thinking the team is relevant after they finally beat what they perceive to be a good team.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-06-2006, 12:10 PM
After watching that game I think it stands as a blue print as to why this is not the Mavs year. There were at least five or six points where the Mavs would go up by ten but then they'd relax, the Suns would get out there and run on them and get back in it. And breaking the Mavs down the stretch isn't the biggest thing since sliced bread (see final minutes of Mavs/Spurs on Thursday). Championship caliber teams know how to finish people off when they have them down like that.

As for the Suns...I just can't get scared of them. They've got enough shooting that they aren't as prone to the scoring droughts that every team gets, but I don't think they can win a series against a team that dedicates itself to making them play 48 minutes of half court ball. Amare is probably not going to be himself in time for the playoffs, and Thomas will have some rust to shake off too. Realistically I think they need both of those guys healthy and ready to go to have enough physicality to win in the post season, and it's looking like neither will be 100%.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Another thing to think about is chemistry - If Amare comes back, he's got to get used to a few new players while trying to figure out whether he trusts his knee.

What the Suns has done is impressive, and they will get to the WCF. I just don't see the threat.

SirChaz
03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
You obviously admire Charles Barkley so I don't know if I should pick this fight, but I will anyways. The Suns do play absolutely NO DEFNSE! They average 108 points per game and they are 5 games behind the Mavs and Spurs, something is not working, maybe their defense? And who said the Mavs have less of a chance of challenging the Spurs in the playoffs? Is that a fucking joke? We have a defensive minded coach who forces it on us to play defense and we still have a damn good offense too. We are much more equipped to beat the Spurs in the playoffs than the Suns with or without Amare.

I think Charles is funny and we share the same first name. Not sure admire is the right word.

What is really funny is how the Mavericks dismiss the Suns and then can't figure out how they lose to them.

At least the Spurs have scoreboard from the playoffs.
The Mavs are a good team but they (and their fans) have no place to talk shit about the Suns.

The Suns have had NO inside game all season, any one remotely resembling a center is injured, yet they are only five games back and they lead their division. I don't see any reason to be ashamed about that.

SirChaz
03-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Again, it's funny that all the Suns fans show up thinking the team is relevant after they finally beat what they perceive to be a good team.

It wasn't a Suns fan that started this thread.

Bruno
03-06-2006, 01:23 PM
AS a Spurs fan : Suns with Amaré > Mavs > Suns without Amaré.

Extra Stout
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
It wasn't a Suns fan that started this thread.
True enough. It was one of the village idiots.

Gin N Juice
03-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Atalnta gave away Sheed to the Pistons. Atlanta basically gave away Diaw. I agree. Fuckin Hawks.

They also traded Viktor Sanikidze to us, let's hope he turns into something as well.

101A
03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Try a little context next time. :rolleyes

I never said almost so don't put words in my mouth.

Close means both teams scored in the 90's and the game wasn't decided until the last minute.

How many possessions in a row did the Spurs score on in games 1 & 2 in the 4th quarter?

The games weren't close, but they were predictable. The score was close.

With Tony's improved ability to get into the lane and finish at will against GOOD defensive teams, the Spurs ability to finish against the Suns will be that much better.

SirChaz
03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
How many possessions in a row did the Spurs score on in games 1 & 2 in the 4th quarter?

The games weren't close, but they were predictable. The score was close.

With Tony's improved ability to get into the lane and finish at will against GOOD defensive teams, the Spurs ability to finish against the Suns will be that much better.

Parker is great but he doesn't have quite the quickness advantage against the Suns that he has against most teams.

The Suns did a good job denying his penetration into the lane the second game.

The Suns know they don't have anyone to matchup against Duncan. One of their keys against the Spurs is stopping Parker's penetration, going under screens, and making him shoot jumpers.

Like I said to Aggie earlier:
In any event it should be an interesting matchup on Thursday.

mavsfan1000
03-06-2006, 03:20 PM
So now the suns finally beat the mavs this year they are better than them? The mavs did blow that game but I am pretty sure the mavs>suns.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
So now the suns finally beat the mavs this year they are better than them? The mavs did blow that game but I am pretty sure the mavs>suns.
According to you the Mavs are better than the Spurs. The only reason the Mavs lost is because they were feeling down because Devin Harris was injured.

By the way, if you always blow big games, that makes you worse than the team that wins.

picnroll
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Amare's Other Knee Has Fluid Buildup
link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39450/20060306/amares_other_knee_has_fluid_buildup/)
6th March, 2006 - 1:11 pm
East Valley Tribune - After a very strenuous workout on Thursday in Phoenix. Stoudemire has a fluid buildup in his right knee, likely from favoring it in workouts while shying away from pressuring his surgically repaired left knee.

He hasn’t worked out basketball-wise for three straight days, although he did some strengthening work before Sunday’s game with Dallas.

“I’m sure I’ve asked a little too much of it,” Stoudemire said, rubbing the knee before the game. “It’s just a little buildup, but it’s a warning to make sure I’m ready before making the next step.” [READ]

Joepa
03-06-2006, 04:46 PM
That is no good for the Suns.

JMarkJohns
03-06-2006, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I was really tootin' the Suns horn when I said this in the second post of this very thread...

They showed up for one quarter. Phoenix needs to learn how to play for a whole game.

They are allowing an unholy amount of points lately. This year's team has had injury issues, so I can understand some aspects, but their defense needs to get back to where it was around Christmas time. I believe they were top-5 in defensive FG% and were top-10 in limiting offensive rebounding.

Now they are middle to late of the pack.

Good Lord, the fellas here can be ignorant of all the facts.

mavsfan1000
03-06-2006, 05:16 PM
According to you the Mavs are better than the Spurs. The only reason the Mavs lost is because they were feeling down because Devin Harris was injured.

By the way, if you always blow big games, that makes you worse than the team that wins.
Well who has the better record against the top 4 teams? The spurs or the mavs? So based on your theory the Pistons are the best team.

leemajors
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39450/20060306/amares_other_knee_has_fluid_buildup/)
East Valley Tribune - After a very strenuous workout on Thursday in Phoenix. Stoudemire has a fluid buildup in his right knee, likely from favoring it in workouts while shying away from pressuring his surgically repaired left knee.

He hasn’t worked out basketball-wise for three straight days, although he did some strengthening work before Sunday’s game with Dallas.

“I’m sure I’ve asked a little too much of it,” Stoudemire said, rubbing the knee before the game. “It’s just a little buildup, but it’s a warning to make sure I’m ready before making the next step.” [READ]

good thing he skipped from 1v1 to 5v5. suns really dropped the ball letting him go back to 5v5 that fast. caution is of the utmost importance when dealing with this sort of career threatening injury. i am not an amare fan by any means, but i don't like to see setbacks of this sort happen to anyone.

SirChaz
03-06-2006, 05:54 PM

The Suns blew the first game of the year to the Mavs.

So what.

Mavs still think last years Mavs team was better than last years Suns team. :drunk

Kori Ellis
03-06-2006, 06:00 PM

That sucks. I like Amare; hopefully they bring him along slowly and do everything right for his long-term health.

reader
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
That sucks. I like Amare; hopefully they bring him along slowly and do everything right for his long-term health.

The Suns currently have an 8 game lead over the Clippers in their division. The way the Suns have been able to win, despite their injury situation, I do not see them rushing Amare back.

James Jones, one of the bench players is now being put on the IR list with turf-toe. Good thing they got Tim Thomas, or their bench would be even shorter.

Saw this on another site, list of players who are out for the Suns.
Amare
Grant
K Thomas
Jones
Skita
Thompson

Sunz Fan
03-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Chaz,

For your information, the Suns are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Because of the Suns blistering pace, other teams score more points per game against the Suns. Defensive efficiency is a more reliable indicator. The Suns are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. As of today they rank 5th.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2006/d_de.htm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26league% 3dnba

By the way, congrats on your win over the Mavs. I guessed the Spurs showed them who's top dog.

JMarkJohns
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
For your information, the Suns are one of the best defensive teams in the league. Because of the Suns blistering pace, other teams score more points per game against the Suns. Defensive efficiency is a more reliable indicator. The Suns are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. As of today they rank 5th.

http://www.knickerblogger.net/stats/2006/d_de.htm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats?sort=defeff&league=nba&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fteamstats%3fsort%3ddefeff%26league% 3dnba

By the way, congrats on your win over the Mavs. I guessed the Spurs showed them who's top dog.

Yes, but around December, I believe the Suns were #1 in the same statistical rankings. #1 ot #5 isn't horrible, but it's enough. I assume this is overall for the season, which means it's not indictive of their defense the past month.

They haven't been very good (defensively) in a while.