PDA

View Full Version : Spurs show who's boss...

sanman53
03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
(Not sure if this had been posted, but I found this article not only about the Spurs, but also about other topics in the league. If it had been posted,
MY BAD!)

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0305nbainsidernotes0305.html

Spurs show Mavericks who's still boss in Texas
Billionaire Allen pleading poverty

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

Just in case you had forgotten world order, San Antonio beat Dallas last week. The Spurs did not catapult the Mavericks in the standings, but they made their point, didn't they?

After San Antonio beat Dallas 98-89, the Texas-size series swayed to 2-1 in the Spurs' favor.

Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili have never been quite right this season, but Bruce Bowen annoyed Dirk Nowitzki, Robert Horry made his usual big-game appearance and Michael Finley showed he still has some shooting touch left for the millions Dallas is paying him to play elsewhere. advertisement

That's four straight losing visits to San Antonio for the Mavericks. Dallas may have closed the Interstate 35 gap, but it is still large enough to slip a Larry O'Brien Trophy through it. To close it, Nowitzki can't disappear from an otherwise stellar season that has put him in the MVP conversation with buddy Steve Nash.

"Dirk wasn't himself in letting Bruce Bowen kind of get under his skin a little bit," Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "He's better than that. We're better than that."

• Paul Allen is Forbes' seventh-richest human in the world. That's a good starting point to inform you that the Trail Blazers owner filed bankruptcy on a Rose Garden loan last year, signed a lease that he says will cost him $100 million in losses for the next three years and has handed out ridiculous contracts like candy. Now, Allen's Vulcan Inc. (yes, he must be a Trekkie) representatives asked the Oregon governor and Portland mayor for a public handout, er, public-private partnership.

• Lorenzen Wright probably already guessed that he would be on his way out of Memphis once this season and his contract expired. But losing his starting job to Jake Tsakalidis had to make him more sure than a man with two watches.

• Asked about the sleeve he wears on his left leg, Shaquille O'Neal told Miami reporters: "I don't wear leotards or panties or thongs . . . All right, thongs."

• "Sheed must bleed," a sign at Quicken Loans Arena called when Detroit's Rasheed Wallace made his first Cleveland appearance since being fined for opening a bloody gash on Zydrunas Ilgauskas' head. Ilguaskas' teammates did not agree, perpetuating the team's soft label when some hugged Wallace after Monday's game.

• The Mike Montgomery haters are piling on in Oakland. For a second time this season, the disappointing Warriors opted to not foul in the final seconds with a three-point lead. Both times, they gave up a tying three-pointer and lost in overtime.

• Maybe this is why Milt Palacio starts for Utah. He sounds like Jerry Sloan every time he speaks lately with observations such as: "I would think you'd be ready to play when you have a chance to make the playoffs." Also: "It's mind-boggling. We're out there and we have one of the best jobs in the world, and to not lay it on the line night in and night out is tough."

• This Dwight Howard-Darko Milicic pairing in Orlando has legs. More important, Howard likes the feel of it. "He plays hard," Howard told the Orlando Sentinel. "He's going to look for me inside. Don't tell anybody, but Darko really wants to be a point guard." A 7-foot one.

• Rashard Lewis can void the final two years of his contract ($21 million worth) with Seattle after the 2006-07 season, but his rips of owner Howard Schultz's lack of spending and unclear plans make that doubtful. "The type of contract I'm looking for - I feel like this is my last really big deal - I don't know if they'll be willing to pay that," Lewis told the Seattle Times.

FromWayDowntown
03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
"Dirk wasn't himself in letting Bruce Bowen kind of get under his skin a little bit," Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "He's better than that. We're better than that."

Irony. Sheer irony.