PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Jim Jackson Signed, Medvedenko Released

MajicMan
03-06-2006, 03:54 AM
LA TIMES

Jim Jackson Signed, Medvedenko Released
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 6, 2006

With an eye to the immediate future, the Lakers said goodbye to part of their past, signing free-agent swingman Jim Jackson and waiving injured forward Slava Medvedenko.

Jackson, 35, will be asked to add a veteran presence and outside touch to a team that has shot inconsistently throughout the season but is fighting for a playoff spot.

On his 12th team in 14 seasons, Jackson played in 27 games this season before being released by the Phoenix Suns last week, averaging 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds in 15.6 minutes. He has not played since Jan. 4 but was practicing with the Suns until he was waived. His minutes were reduced this season when Phoenix added Eddie House and James Jones.

Jackson, the fourth overall pick in the 1992 draft, averaged 8.8 points and 3.9 rebounds last season for a Phoenix team that won a league-best 62 games and lost to San Antonio in the Western Conference finals.

Jackson, 6 feet 6 and 220 pounds, will be paid about $500,000, his contract contingent on passing a physical today in Los Angeles. It is not expected to be a problem.

Medvedenko, who will be 27 next month, played only two games this season and underwent season-ending surgery in January for a herniated disk in his back.

Signed as a free agent in August 2000, Medvedenko played on two Laker championship teams. He was re-signed to a two-year, $6-million deal before the 2004-05 season but played only 23 games after that because of injuries and ineffectiveness.

For his career, Medvedenko has averaged 5.4 points and 2.9 rebounds in 249 games.
LINK

MajicMan
03-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Like I said before, we have our history but the recent emergence of obnoxious Mavs fans from the woodwork really pisses me off. I would like nothing better than to meet Dallas in the first round. Well that and I don't think we match up with you guys too well. If we can move up to seventh place or if you guys take a dip, Dallas is dead meat. Kobe>Skirt Novitski. After we send Dallas fishing you guys can pummel us in the second round.

mavsfan1000
03-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Like I said before, we have our history but the recent emergence of obnoxious Mavs fans from the woodwork really pisses me off. I would like nothing better than to meet Dallas in the first round. Well that and I don't think we match up with you guys too well. If we can move up to seventh place or if you guys take a dip, Dallas is dead meat. Kobe>Skirt Novitski. After we send Dallas fishing you guys can pummel us in the second round.
Do you have any sense of reality? :rolleyes

MajicMan
03-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Do you have any sense of reality? :rolleyes

I dreamed Kobe outscored the entire Mavs team in three quarters. We all know that would never happen though
;)

TxJudsonRocketTx
03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I dreamed Kobe outscored the entire Mavs team in three quarters. We all know that would never happen though
;)

Yikes

Samr
03-06-2006, 08:09 AM
After we send Dallas fishing you guys can pummel us in the second round.

I like you.

Leetonidas
03-06-2006, 08:52 AM
;)

:owned :lol

Dario
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
This is probably the best ownage respond i ever heard. Pure :owned

Bruno
03-06-2006, 09:26 AM
too bad for the Medvedenko poster on this board.

Medvedenko
03-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah...too bad for me....but Slava is finally free...I'm sure he'll be back next year after he recovers from his injury and snickers fetish...

Welcome JJ

angel_luv
03-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh no! Poor Medvendenko. :(

Medvedenko
03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Angel...next is Rasho for you.....

angel_luv
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
You don't know!

MI21
03-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Slava always played well against the Spurs :lol

As for Dallas vs Lakers, I'd love to see that matchup. I think the Lakers would win a game or two at home, and who knows what they could do if they got there confidence got high. We all know what Kobe is about, and Lamar has elevated his game in the postseason before, it would be a fantastic series.

T Park
03-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, good move by the Lakers.

This actually gives them someone off the bench for some scoring when Kobe sits down.

People forget how good Jimmy Jackson was for Phoenix last year.

TDMVPDPOY
03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
yeh jackson was good durin the pt he got in the series against us, but we still pwned him and the sons

CharlieMac
03-06-2006, 11:04 AM
12 teams in 14 years? That's nuts.

JamStone
03-06-2006, 11:07 AM
good pick up for lakers

but he will have to guard manu in the first round.

Why would Jim Jackson have to worry about guarding Manu in the first round? I don't think Phil Jackson plans on starting Jimmy. Now, he may have to defend Manu for a few possessions, but most likely, Jim Jackson will be used in short minutes and be matched up against Brent Barry or Michael Finley. That doesn't seem too bad for the old vet.

Kobe will guard Manu in the first round if the two teams meet.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
good pick up for lakers

but he will have to guard manu in the first round.

I'm thinking Sacramento might push LA to the 9th spot.

During the first round Jim Jackson will be guarding Phil Jackson in some driveway pickup ball.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 11:26 AM
LA would have to move up to 5th to play the Mavericks. IF they were 7th it would be the Suns.

It would be fun for the Mavs to get taken out in the first round, which may happen if they have to play the Clippers in the 4-5 matchup.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking Sacramento might push LA to the 9th spot.

Agreed. Looks like Sacto is doing some catching up.

T Park
03-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Utah will push LA more than Sacramento.

boutons_
03-06-2006, 11:52 AM
'Mavs to get taken out in the first round, which may happen if they have to play the Clippers in the 4-5 matchup."

The Clips aren't that good. They started strong, but faded. I expect the Spurs to win fairly easily tomorrow night.

Clips are in a battle with Grizz for 5 or 6 seed, and Grizz clobbered the Clips last night @Staples.

The Clips main accomplishment this season will be to make the playoffs. They will be lucky to get out of the first round.

Too bad Elton is stuck on such a weak team.

missmyzte
03-06-2006, 01:31 PM
This is a good signing, I'm excited about this. And good riddance to Slava, having him and Cook around was redundant. Give him a Snickers bar and c-ya.

alamo50
03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Damn, I actually feel sorry for Jimmy.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't get why JJ was never a star. The dude has been consistently ok on every team he's played for.

I always expected more. The dude has game, but he just.... I dunno.

SequSpur
03-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Nice, other teams making moves while we are playing our slovenian kids.

adidas11
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
It was a good move by the Lakers, and I applaud them for making a semi-aggressive move. Jackson adds some needed bench scoring that we can use in the last 1.5 months of the season.