PDA

View Full Version : 'Little' Bowen performs heavy duty for Spurs

polandprzem
03-06-2006, 05:19 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/0305spurs3_bowen_eao.jpg

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

At some point Monday night, when he finds himself running all over the Staples Center floor trying to stem a never-ending stream of jump shots and dribble-drives from the NBA's leading scorer, Bruce Bowen will think back to his last two games.

And he'll remember there are tasks more grueling than hounding Kobe Bryant.

Specifically, he'll be thankful he isn't spending another night leaning on power forwards such as Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Portland's Zach Randolph, both of whom became frustrated victims of Bowen's defense at the AT&T Center this past week.

"Those guys are heavy," Bowen said after his late work on Randolph helped lift the Spurs to a 101-81 victory over the Trail Blazers on Saturday. "I don't like all that banging. I'm a little guy. I'll take chasing any day."

But despite his preferences, Bowen once again proved quite adept at "banging."

Two nights after harassing the 7-foot Nowitzki as the Spurs beat the Mavericks, Bowen was called upon to slow down Randolph, a 6-9, 253-pounder who had scored 19 points against the Spurs' big men by the middle of the third quarter.

After Randolph's 3-pointer put the Blazers up 58-55, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called a timeout and assigned the 6-7, 200-pound Bowen to front Randolph. Over the next 4:10, the Spurs reeled off a 10-0 run as Randolph missed two shots and committed two turnovers.

"He'd been hurting us the whole game," Popovich said. "(Bowen) really changed the complexion by helping us get those stops at the defensive end."

Bowen's approach against Randolph — constantly staying between his man and the ball to deny the entry pass — was similar to his strategy against Nowitzki, with one exception.

Nowitzki wanted the ball farther away from the basket, meaning Bowen often had to front him on the wing. Against Randolph, who finished with 24 points, he spent the bulk of his time in or near the lane.

But Bowen said every time he guards a bigger player — as he has done twice against Nowitzki this season and against Toronto's Chris Bosh on Feb.8 — his game plan is the same.

"The key is staying mentally into it," Bowen said. "You know you have to do a really good job of trying to front him, because you're outweighed by so much."

Spurs guard Michael Finley, who took a brief turn against Randolph when Bowen was on the bench in the fourth quarter, said he admires the way Bowen "gets guys out of their comfort zone."

"That's what Bruce does," Popovich said. "And he does it better than anybody out there."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030506.7C.BKNspurs.bowen.367469b.html
------------

Well Bowen shows up againg. His defens is realy amazing. You can put him on the best player (from 1 to 4) in any team and he will step up.
And he has done that. From the Iverson through Kobes, Carters, Allens to Nowitzkies, Boshes and Randolphes

If he will not get the DPOTY then I do not know what are they thinking

Chris
03-06-2006, 08:26 AM
It looks like that guy is grabbing Bruce's balls :lol

Dario
03-06-2006, 09:26 AM
He is

Bruno
03-06-2006, 09:28 AM
It looks like that guy is grabbing Bruce's balls :lol

Just look at Bruce's face :lol

MI21
03-06-2006, 10:35 AM
It really is becoming clearer and clearer that Bruce is the best defender in the NBA.

I would absolutely love for him to win DPOY, I would probably enjoy it more than when Tim won MVP.

DesiSpur_21
03-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Bruce is a stud.

I wish I can be that focussed and dedicated on my field of work as Bruce is.

Note: Actually I like Pop's philosophy of not campaigning for year-end awards. This year it'll be all the more sweeter if Bruce wins DPOY.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
He's been passed up the last couple of years in favor of Ben Wallace, but I haven't heard much about Ben potentially winning it again, so I think Bruce has a good chance.

Quasar
03-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Bruce Ballmighty :D That guy is indeed grabbing Bruce's balls!!?!!

kskonn
03-06-2006, 12:17 PM
that guy in the pictures looks like the janitor from scrubs...

FromWayDowntown
03-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Maybe Pop should have someone manufacture some numbers about Bruce's defense and then publicize those numbers. Perhaps at that point the know-littles in the media will actually do something other than look at blocked shots and rebounds to assess the quality of a defensive player.

caŽlo
03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
go win this one bruce! you deserve it this year!!!

DPOY baby! :)

Joepa
03-06-2006, 12:21 PM
LOL @ Bruce Ballmighty

lilmads
03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
^
:lol

Spurminator
03-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Not to be another to whine about a lack of National media attention, but why do I get the feeling that if Ron Artest had switched onto Zach Randolph in a fourth quarter that would have been better publicized?

I had no idea Bowen guarded Randolph until reading this column.

MoSpur
03-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Bruce WILL win the DPOTY. No doubt. You know why? After the Dallas game on TNT, Charles and the guys said it over and over how Bruce was the reason why the Spurs won that night. Not in those words, but that's what they were saying. Its funny, but when the National media talk about something like Bruce's defense over and over it influences others to vote their way.

Sec24Row7
03-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Bruce is a beast

MI21
03-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Strangely enough, Bruce's improved and more efficient offensive game including his higher than last season averages in 3P% and FG% may really help him to win his first DPOY.

I get the feeling with DPOY that if you aren't averaging a decent amount of points, you won't win it. I think people feel that if all you are doing is playing defense, then you should be really good at it and don't deserve over a better all around player who is slight less of a defender.

Stupid, but I think the theory has some truth to it.

ChumpDumper
03-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah, the media coverage, national exposure of his D on Dirk and the Olympic selection make me think this is finally Bruce's year for DPOY.

'Bout time.

SA Gunslinger
03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
The man is getting better with age. It's incredible to me that even though he's slightly more muscular, he's hasn't lost a step.

He should be DPOY for sure.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Depends on how he does against Marion and TMac this week. With the start by the Pistons Bruce is going to have to make people aware of what he's doing in order to win it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Bruce WILL win the DPOTY. No doubt. You know why? After the Dallas game on TNT, Charles and the guys said it over and over how Bruce was the reason why the Spurs won that night. Not in those words, but that's what they were saying. Its funny, but when the National media talk about something like Bruce's defense over and over it influences others to vote their way.

The way I remember it they both said something to the effect of "Dirk can't allow himself to be guarded by Bruce Bowen." The implication I get from that isn't that Bruce is such a great defender that he can effectively guard a player that he's giving up significant size to, it's that Dirk is a sissy that he made Bowen look good.

I think a strong showing tonight against Kobe might be just what the doctor ordered.

Melmart1
03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
I, too feel that this is Bruce's year to win DPOY. I don't see them giving it to Wallace again, nobody is going to give Artest an award for anything other than Idiot of the Year, and all other great defenders are not nearly as notorious as Bruce. He has been getting some ink lately, and let's face it- that is what sways these 'voters', just as much as some irrelevant stat. But he should get it for only one reason- he effing earned it with his tireless defensive play.

And yes, it looks like the guy in the pic is about to finger Bruce's balls. Not only that, the reporter's name is Mike Finger.

Obstructed_View
03-06-2006, 04:57 PM
And they say Bruce plays dirty. :oops

leemajors
03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah, the media coverage, national exposure of his D on Dirk and the Olympic selection make me think this is finally Bruce's year for DPOY.

'Bout time.

Chump you heard of that bar in Round Rock called 'Bout Time?

cs100
03-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Strangely enough, Bruce's improved and more efficient offensive game including his higher than last season averages in 3P% and FG% may really help him to win his first DPOY.

I get the feeling with DPOY that if you aren't averaging a decent amount of points, you won't win it. I think people feel that if all you are doing is playing defense, then you should be really good at it and don't deserve over a better all around player who is slight less of a defender.

Stupid, but I think the theory has some truth to it.

I respectfully disagree. Ben Wallace does not put up decent points yet he keeps winning the award. I think the fact that Bruce is a perimeter defender and has Tim Duncan on his team has been the excuse for less votes than Ben and/or Artest. However, this year, I don't think Artest is being considered. I also noticed that Ben has been rebounding less these last few games.This may be the year that Bruce gets the accolades, unless Marion steals it from under him.

Joepa
03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
I was just thinking - Right now Bruce is 2nd in the NBA in 3 point FG%. If he won that award and DPOY, I bet that would be the first time it's ever happened.

SenorSpur
03-06-2006, 07:31 PM

I believe Bruce's winning the award will be directly tied to how the Spurs finish out. If they win the west, the chances will be much more favorable.

IMO if he doesn't win the award this year, they should do away with it. He's been the best perimeter defender the past two seasons (all apologies to Ron Artest, who can't seem to stay on the court).