PDA

View Full Version : Nash leaves Suns game with ankle injury

ducks
03-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Nash leaves Suns game with ankle injury
March 6, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Phoenix point guard Steve Nash, the reigning NBA MVP, left the Suns' game against New Orleans on Monday night with a sprained right ankle.

His return was questionable.

ADVERTISEMENT
Nash, who leads the NBA with 10.9 assists per game, went into the tunnel toward the Phoenix locker room with 2:54 left in the third quarter. He had not returned by the start of the fourth.

He had 12 points and seven assists before leaving.

Nash has played all 58 of the Suns' games this season. He missed seven games last season with injuries to his left thigh and left hamstring and back spasms.

Jimcs50
03-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Hope he misses 4 games.

:angel

mavsfan1000
03-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Nash being injury prone was a big reason he wasn't resigned. I'm surprised he didn't get injured before this.

milkyway21
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
so he won't be available vs Spurs?

was it serious?

mavsfan1000
03-06-2006, 10:54 PM
So he waits to beat Dallas before getting injured. Great.

ducks
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I said before he got hurt the last years of his contract he will get hurt

they need to play him less minutes and save him for the latter years in his contract

SilverPlayer
03-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Hope he gets better. This season won't be as much fun without the intense race to the playoffs, with Nash leading the way for the Suns. This season has been one of the best in recent memories precisely because the race is so wide open.

yeahone
03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
come nash get healthy so we can beat you all guys without any excuse

milkyway21
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM
i don't want excuses. I want Nash on that team when the Spurs play them.

Nash /Suns kicked-butt Dallas yesteday.

i don't want to see any *s :cuss again.

SirChaz
03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Nash being injury prone was a big reason he wasn't resigned. I'm surprised he didn't get injured before this.

:blah

So you didn't re-sign one of the best PG in the league because you were afraid he would sprain his ankle at some point?

BRILLIANT!!

mavsfan1000
03-07-2006, 12:48 AM
No that fatigue and his body breaking was it. This injury might give him some rest on his bad back.

Dre_7
03-07-2006, 12:50 AM
No that fatigue and his body breaking was it. This injury might give him some rest on his bad back.

Yeah, he really broke down last year. :lol

reader
03-07-2006, 12:52 AM

Since 2001, Nash has missed a grand total of 11 games, nice to see the Urban Legend lives.

Nowitzki, now there is someone who lives on the IR list, what with all the games he has missed in the past five years.

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2006, 01:04 AM
wtf gives, spurs will beat u on any given day. This fake injury is just playin mind games with us, the same way pop schooled the suns management in that last game against them last season, with gino n duncan not playin.

Obstructed_View
03-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Okay, I'm now convinced that you aren't actually a Mavericks fan. Nash was anything but injury prone. Besides, he sprained his ankle. If that's your definition of "injury prone" you should make sure to only re-sign players who don't have feet.

WalterBenitez
03-07-2006, 01:16 AM
So he waits to beat Dallas before getting injured. Great.

Such a good professional who plays for friends :lol

milkyway21
03-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Such a good professional who plays for friends :lolhe preferred Nash got injured before the game vs Dallas :lol

so Dallas stays on top of the Southwest Div. & WC overall

rayray2k8
03-07-2006, 02:21 AM
oh fuck that he better play..
hey i got an idea..
Can someone put this face http://www.nba.com/media/suns/nash_353_060303.jpg
on someone rolling their ankle?
that'd be great :lol

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 04:04 AM
If it makes you feel any better, if Nash sits out along with Amare and Thomas, I won't whine if you decide to pull a Sarvar and start cluckin'!

He's listed as day to day. Nash doesn't think it's too bad.

ChumpDumper
03-07-2006, 04:16 AM
He walked to the locker room. It can't be that bad.

ceds
03-07-2006, 05:39 AM
the ankle is still loose, nash will have more trouble walking tomorrow

TDMVPDPOY
03-07-2006, 08:47 AM
i dont really give a shit about the suns, if they are at full strength or missin any players, i take the win anyway we can. a win is a win.

Jimcs50
03-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Yeah, he has been a huge disappointment for Phoenix. The Mavs are better without the scrub.

:rolleyes

Joepa
03-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Yep. We're gonna win anyway because of SPAM

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 09:58 AM
The ankle rollover didn't look very bad. Just a little tweak. He'll definitely be sore today but a little ice and elevation will be all that's needed.

Frankly, I'm hoping Nash doesn't play versus the Spurs. Let him get a few games rest since the Suns basically have the 2nd seed locked with the Clips slipping away and the Suns building a 8.5 game lead.

Plus the Spurs will be forced to see the Suns w/o Nash, Amare, KT, Jones, and BG. Yet the Suns will get a look at the full roster of the Spurs.

abelle23
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
hope hes fine it wouldnt be as much fun beating suns w/o nash

kskonn
03-07-2006, 11:38 AM
The ankle rollover didn't look very bad. Just a little tweak. He'll definitely be sore today but a little ice and elevation will be all that's needed.

Frankly, I'm hoping Nash doesn't play versus the Spurs. Let him get a few games rest since the Suns basically have the 2nd seed locked with the Clips slipping away and the Suns building a 8.5 game lead.

Plus the Spurs will be forced to see the Suns w/o Nash, Amare, KT, Jones, and BG. Yet the Suns will get a look at the full roster of the Spurs.

That is what I would want if I was a suns fan... Nothing to prove not like they are going to grab the number one seed, rest up for the post season.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Frankly, I'm hoping Nash doesn't play versus the Spurs. Let him get a few games rest since the Suns basically have the 2nd seed locked with the Clips.
Aren't you afraid Holt might break out the chicken dance?

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Rumor has it the big purple, foam #1 finger and the chicken suit were both packed. :rolleyes

He's a jacka55. He's as phony as they come at the games. Watch him if you ever see a Suns home game. He's usually at half court across from the media tables.

He's quiet the whole game but when the team does something good he's all over it. Otherwise not a peep until then.

And lately he's been hit a little hard regarding the BC situation so if he attends and appears publicly expect him to mind his p's and q's.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Why exactly did Colangelo bolt?

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
No contract extension, limited power, underappreciated.

SenorSpur
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Why exactly did Colangelo bolt?

Because that chicken-fried owner, Robert Sarver, failed to grant him a new contract offer or even an extension. He claims it is his policy to never renegotiate in the middle of a current contract. Many feel he is quietly phasing out both Colangelos (father and son) so that he can gain full control over the team.

Historically, Brian Colangelo had been underpaid considering his accomplishments, the type of players and moves he'd made over that last couple of years (see the acquisitions from Joe Johnson trade).

In comparison to other GMs around the league, Colangelo was at or near the bottom of the wage scale.

Bottom line is Toronto made the guy feel wanted and offered him a financial package that was "out of this world". He would have been foolish to pass it up.

ChumpDumper
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Plus the Spurs will be forced to see the Suns w/o Nash, Amare, KT, Jones, and BG. Yet the Suns will get a look at the full roster of the Spurs.And they will play down to whatever level your team might be on, guaranteed.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 12:53 PM
You have one dumb owner.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Because that chicken-fried owner, Robert Sarver, failed to grant him a new contract offer or even an extension. He claims it is his policy to never renegotiate in the middle of a current contract. Many feel he is quietly phasing out both Colangelos (father and son) so that he can gain full control over the team.

Historically, Brian Colangelo had been underpaid considering his accomplishments, the type of players and moves he'd made over that last couple of years (see the acquisitions from Joe Johnson trade).

In comparison to other GMs around the league, Colangelo was at or near the bottom of the wage scale.

Bottom line is Toronto made the guy feel wanted and offered him a financial package that was "out of this world". He would have been foolish to pass it up.

It's all that, but more. He wasn't ever going to get the "presidential" power in Phoenix. He got the years, the money and the power in Toronto.

From his older contract to the contract negotiations, BC just felt underappreciated, so he took the money and ran.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 01:00 PM
You have one dumb owner.

Word! (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=775739&postcount=3)

leemajors
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
that's too bad, he did a great job restocking the roster this year. i thought they would be a lot worse than they were last year, and they are still leading their division.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Word! (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=775739&postcount=3)
Well if you ever run into Sarver give him my thanks as a Spurs' fan. Those deals like Joe Johnson from Boston and Boris Diaw from Atlanta were starting to get on my nerves.

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Not to mention now BC gets an even bigger piece of the ownership pie in Toronto.

Triple the salary, Jerry Colangelo mentioned now nobody can talk about nepotism there, more power, a great situation with money being freed up and Bosh being there #1 guy they get to sign some guys around him while having a high draft choice for a couple of years.

It was a great move for Bryan Colangelo.

I like how Sarver can say he doesn't negotiate contracts in midswing yet he has NO issue letting someone go in the middle of one.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I'll bet Sarver was ready to totally cave on giving up Joe Johnson uncompesated and it was Cloangelo that talked him into bluffing Diaw and the picks out of Atlanta. Bastard. :lol

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 01:33 PM
The thing is, is JJ is still playing pretty good. It's not as if the trade was this totally lopsided deal. JJ is going to be a very good player for years to come. But in Atlanta, he might not make an all-star game or get the attention he deserves.

Instead his name will always be mentioned in the trade.

It's pretty great to think that in addition to Diaw though, that the Hawks still owe Phoenix a couple of 1st round picks.

The only problem now is Diaw is getting better and better each month, he may play himself into a situation that Sarver might not feel comfortable throwing bucks at him ala JJ.

The Suns can and did p/u the option for next season but after that it's contract time. The Suns have to get him inked this summer before his salary requirements rise again. And this time hopefully the JJ situation taught them a lesson and they'll budge a few million to keep him.

Same with Barbosa. He's a great player too and can be a major player in Phoenix for the next 5-7 years if Phoenix retains his services. He fits perfectly in the system and it's like they realized that he isn't the PG he was projected to be but can fit the role he is doing now perfectly.

But during the all star break TNT broke a rumor saying James Jones may be the odd man out so that money can be freed up for Diaw/Barbosa. I'd hate to see him go since he has a great 3 pt shot and has really improved his defense and rebounding as the season progressed and will be a fine player. Especially with a cheap 4 year deal he's already under.

I hope it's House that gets cut loose and not those three guys.

picnroll
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
You're missing that you got a guy on a rookie contract, Diaw, in exchange for a guy about to hit the slary cap big. Plus the picks.

You have Diaw and Barbosa coming off rookie contracts the same year. By the time Diaw comes of I think, given his unique skills and progress, somebody will likely throw a max or near max contract his way. I don't think Sarver will carry all those contracts.

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 01:50 PM
You have Diaw and Barbosa coming off rookie contracts the same year. By the time Diaw comes of I think, given his unique skills and progress, somebody will likely throw a max or near max contract his way. I don't think Sarver will carry all those contracts.

Agreed. Diaw blew up too soon. He was doing pretty good all season but he's playing ridiculous right now.

The matchup with him at center is just too much for a team to handle. And most teams don't have the experience to play small to go against that matchup or they just refuse to go reverse their game plan.

Diaw/Amare/Marion will create some of the biggest offensive mismatches that can be assembled on court right now.

Amare begins 5on5 tomorrow and it sounds like he's a few weeks out and that'll be exciting to see these guys together.

At first I was hoping Amare would not attempt a return to the floor this season but this might be the Suns best shot at getting to the Finals with how well they are playing and the impending Mavs/Spurs 2nd round matchup.

So now I'm hoping Amare returns to the floor and the Suns make their run at the Finals.

SirChaz
03-07-2006, 01:57 PM

BS!

The word is Sarver would have extended the contract. BC wanted to replace the existing deal that ran through next year.

Sarver didn't "push BC out", he resigned to take a job that paid him more.

What cracks me up is 3 years ago he was an idiot that only had a job because of his dad. Now he is the Suns savior and sole architect of all the Suns good moves. I am sure the truth lies someplace in the middle.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Chaz, I know all that, but was a contract extension signed? No...

Thus...

Obviously something was offered, but nothing signed.

WIth no extension signed and the Toronto offer not likely to still be there after next season, Colangelo took full advantage.

I'm not saying he didn't have any fault. I've said both sides had blame, but Sarvar is the main one alienating people. First JJ, now BC, thus JC... Who next? If D'Antoni wins another Coach of the Year award, shouldn't he become a top-5 paid coach? Especially if he's going to take on a larger role in the GM position? Do you think that Sarvar is going to rip up the current low-ball contract of D'Antoni's to give him more money?

I don't.

Toronto is on the board, come 2007. Sarvar better start showing some appreciation, stop low-balling worthy players and personnel and start ponyin' up or else the only player he'll have left is his good buddy Amare.

SirChaz
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Chaz, I know all that, but was a contract extension signed? No...

Thus...

Obviously something was offered, but nothing signed.

WIth no extension signed and the Toronto offer not likely to still be there after next season, Colangelo took full advantage.

I'm not saying he didn't have any fault. I've said both sides had blame, but Sarvar is the main one alienating people. First JJ, now BC, thus JC... Who next? If D'Antoni wins another Coach of the Year award, shouldn't he become a top-5 paid coach? Especially if he's going to take on a larger role in the GM position? Do you think that Sarvar is going to rip up the current low-ball contract of D'Antoni's to give him more money?

I don't.

Toronto is on the board, come 2007. Sarvar better start showing some appreciation, stop low-balling worthy players and personnel and start ponyin' up or else the only player he'll have left is his good buddy Amare.

Whatever, you make it sound like Sarver was unwilling to give BC an extension. That is not true. Clearly they had some other differences and I think BC just wanted to move on after the transistion from his dad's ownership. I am happy for Brian but I don't think his departure is the downfall of the Suns.

I also don't understand how you can pin it all on Sarver for "alienating JJ".

From what I understand JJ's biggest problem was that he was playing behing 3 All-Stars last year. Maybe you should just blame Amare for running JJ off. You would surely have more facts on your side.

The Suns made a mistake not signing JJ the summer before last and Sarver and the Suns admitted as much. As it turns out, it worked out ok anyway.

It is not like Sarver has been unwilling to spend money. If they screw up and lose Diaw then I will be upset but untill then I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt because the moves that have been made since Sarver took over have been positive. I don't believe they were all because of Brian.

I am also interested in hearing how Jerry has been alienated.
Wasn't this sale so he could retire anyway? Has he said anything about not being part of the Suns?

leemajors
03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Amare begins 5on5 tomorrow and it sounds like he's a few weeks out and that'll be exciting to see these guys together.

didn't they just report he had fluid buildup in his other knee and would have to sit for a bit again?

SirChaz
03-07-2006, 03:13 PM
didn't they just report he had fluid buildup in his other knee and would have to sit for a bit again?

He took a couple of days off from basketball activity.
The trainer said it was not unusual as he is favoring his left and putting more strain on his right leg.

Apparently he is cleared to resume 5-on-5 tomorrow (wed).

mavsfan1000
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Nash will start to breakdown pretty soon. He showed signs of that in Dallas and it is a matter of time before he gets put on the injury list. A 5 year contract is too much to ask for someone like that.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
JJ said that Sarvar's reluctance to sign him to a very reasonable 50 million over 6 years was the foundation of his animosity towards the Suns. He didn't like that Sarvar was low-balling him according to the market, then deciding risk JJ's health by allowing a very talented player to continue with no contract.

Once the offseason came, Sarvar again low-balled JJ, offering 6 years, 60 million after older and some might say equal to lesser players in Allen, Redd and Hughes all signed MAX deals.

What happened in between may have added, but it was Sarvar's continuing low-ball offers that truly set JJ off.

As for Colagelo. Again, yes. There was an extension. But it was worthy of Colangelo, thus was more of a "look, I made an offer" type of deal, then a "I'm looking to keep you because you're one of the best there is" types.

Save for Nash and Amare, Sarvar has lowballed every single player, exec, personnel or coach there. That's why I lay blame on Sarvar. He's the final authority.

What's that rediculous cliche? To whom much is given, much is demanded?

Sarvar has been a big part of two costly run-offs and maybe a third when he lowballed D'Antoni this past offseason. I have no doubt that Colangelo has his eyes on D'Antoni come 2007.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Nash will start to breakdown pretty soon. He showed signs of that in Dallas and it is a matter of time before he gets put on the injury list. A 5 year contract is too much to ask for someone like that.

Explain how missing four games in Dallas was "showing signs"? Nash isn't breaking down, so much as suffering very commonplace NBA injuries.

If everyone that suffers a hamstring or sprained ankle is showing signs of breaking down, there might not be a player left to sign longterm...

picnroll
03-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Suns did great "losing" Johnoson. You can't keep them all and you can't balme Sarver if he doesn't want to carry Dolan or Cuban's payroll unless your Marcus Bryant. They replaced Johnson with probably a more gifted player in Diaw plus picks for the future. Great moves albeit I think the Suns didn't realize what they had in Diaw. From a SPurs fans perspective at least it looks like the Hawks have a lot of talent, are playing teams tough not, so those picks may not be quite as great as it looks.

But losing key front office personell or coaches that's another story. That's dumb.

JMarkJohns
03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't blame Sarvar for refusing JJ's 70 million. I blame him for his lowballing techniques that alienate those whom he's negotiating with. Again, I understand wanting to keep the payroll around 55 to 65 million. I have no problem with that. What I don't like is the constant "on my terms or get the hell out" type of tactics that will eventually hurt the Suns, if they haven't already.

I don't think any of these losses is huge. Colangelo sucks mainly because he was a Sun. He should have been extended, but perhaps his demands were too high. Who knows. Either way, it was Sarvar's responsibility to try and show appreciation for players and personnel by offering quality contracts that are as fair to the payee as they are to the payer.

Sarvar, save for Amare and Nash, really hasn't done that. Like mentioned already, Diaw, Barbosa and D'Antoni are next.

AZLouis
03-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Don't forget that one of the stories reported that D'Antoni was lowballed with the new extension he received last year.

Those "on my terms or get the hell out" tactics might've already hurt the team during the time leading up to the trade deadline. It seemed as if all of their focus was tuned to the possibility of BC leaving for Toronto rather than acquiring a much needed backup big man.

Hopefully though Brian Grant can return as reported he is as little as 1 week away. He could provide a good 5-15 minutes of play. And hopefully in tough situations he can play rather than the lesser experienced, almost as old Burke.

milkyway21
03-07-2006, 08:51 PM
hope hes fine it wouldnt be as much fun beating suns w/o nashif Nash won't play I'll call him "chicken"

:lol just kiddin'