PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Bowen, Bryant join forces

Kori Ellis
03-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Spurs notebook: Bowen, Bryant join forces

Web Posted: 03/07/2006 12:31 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030706.3D.BKNspurs.notebook.dc36b3f.html

LOS ANGELES — After spending much of the past five seasons chasing Kobe Bryant, Bruce Bowen is looking forward to the opportunity to line up alongside him.

Bowen and Bryant were among the 21 NBA players USA Basketball officially named Sunday to the national team. A training camp in July in Las Vegas will help determine the 12-man roster for this summer's World Championships.

"I think we've developed a respectful bond with one another over the years through our competition," Bowen said. "I think we have a lot of similarities as far as our competitiveness ... and that could add to some great conversation over the process."

Bowen is appreciative that Bryant has never joined the chorus of players criticizing him for playing dirty or too physical. After agreeing to join the national team, Bowen wondered what it would be like to have some of his critics as teammates.

Seattle's Ray Allen and New Jersey's Vince Carter, who voiced the loudest complaints about Bowen in past seasons, decided against joining the team.

"Some of the guys that were invited were guys that had bad words for me," Bowen said. "I sort of felt like a person who was out of place."

Bowen, who turns 35 in June, will be the oldest player in the camp, though USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski seem to value his experience. He, Bryant and Detroit point guard Chauncey Billups are the only players on the team who have won an NBA championship.

Bowen also has played alongside Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker, who also plan to represent their respective countries in the World Championships.

"I think his value to the team will not be just his playing," Krzyzewski said, "but how we develop the team and the insights he'll be able to give the other members of the team in how to become a team and how to play against some of these guys."

Surgery may await Van Exel: Nick Van Exel's left elbow felt better Monday, but Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has accepted he won't have the backup point guard's services on some nights.

Van Exel sat out Saturday's victory over Portland, the fifth game he's missed because of soreness in the elbow. He has had two cortisone injections this season, but the Spurs think he'll need surgery this summer to clean out the bone chips.

Popovich has been pleased with Beno Udrih's play when Van Exel hasn't been available.

"Whenever he's gotten opportunity to get on the court, he's taken advantage of it," Popovich said. "Now and in the playoffs, we'll probably have to go back and forth with them depending on how (Van Exel) feels."

Lakers sign Jackson: Veteran forward Jim Jackson was in a Lakers uniform after signing with the team earlier in the day.

Jackson, who joined his 12th team in 14 seasons, began the season with Phoenix but lost his minutes to Eddie House and James Jones. The Suns waived him last week.

"I've got a lot left," said Jackson, who the Lakers hope will provide some veteran leadership as they make their playoff push.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was leaning toward putting Jim Jackson on the inactive roster until assistant coach Brian Shaw convinced him otherwise at Monday morning's shootaround.

milkyway21
03-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Kobe reminds me a little bit of Jordan, who I never heard complaining against anybody defending him.

it's sportsmanship bro.

BTW, any feedback from Manu what he's going to say regarding Bowens possible inclusion of the U.S. team, & possibly his tormentor during the World or Olympics games?