PDA

View Full Version : Kerry would double the size of special forces

Hook Dem
09-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Where does he hope to get them? It's the Demos accusing the Repubicans of secretely planning a draft. I smell a rat!

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-30-2004, 09:19 PM
What's he going to do? Put a gun to the head of all those enlisted folks/guardsmen we "backdoor drafted"?

exstatic
09-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Hello? Have either of you served before? Troops are re-allocated all of the time, and move from one specialty to another. There's no need to actually increase the number of overall troops to increase special forces.

In the words of an almost forgotten poster: Get a game, goof. :makemyday

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-30-2004, 09:55 PM
ex,

From being in a military family, I understand special forces as something that those already in the military volunteer for. There's a substantial training program that those wishing to join the *elite* have to make it through. Probably 80% of those who try wash out (and my estimate may be low).

Yonivore
09-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Where does he hope to get them? It's the Demos accusing the Repubicans of secretely planning a draft. I smell a rat!
Rat? No. But, there may be a draft in the Demoncratic Party:

Columnist Robert Novak reports on one of the Kerry campaign's more underhanded tactics: trying to scare young voters and parents of teenagers by hinting that President Bush has a "secret plan" to reinstate the draft:

The Associated Press reported that the candidate at West Palm Beach, Fla., 'raised the possibility' of a reinstated draft. That is an old saw on the Internet even though there are no such plans at the Pentagon. The only advocates of renewed conscription are liberal Democrats, led by Rep. Charlie Rangel of New York, who believe it would discourage U.S. military intervention around the world.

What's more, Kerry himself--in a page that has disappeared from his Web site but can still be found at the Internet Archive (http://web.archive.org/web/20040210043828/www.johnkerry.com/issues/natservice/)--called for "a comprehensive service plan that includes requiring mandatory service for high school students and four years of college tuition in exchange for two years of national service."

exstatic
09-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Columnist Robert Novak reports on one of the Kerry campaign's more underhanded tactics: trying to scare young voters and parents of teenagers by hinting that President Bush has a "secret plan" to reinstate the draft: :sleep :sleep

And like the GOP has never used scare tactics? Dick Cheney comes to mind...

Hook Dem
09-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Hello? Have either of you served before? Troops are re-allocated all of the time, and move from one specialty to another. There's no need to actually increase the number of overall troops to increase special forces.

In the words of an almost forgotten poster: Get a game, goof. :makemyday
Yes, I have served from 1957 to 1963. All I hear is how thin we are streched and I'm wondering where they are going to come from. I think there would be a need to increase overall troops.

Yonivore
09-30-2004, 10:08 PM
:sleep :sleep

And like the GOP has never used scare tactics? Dick Cheney comes to mind...
Read the article. No, better yet, read Kerry's own words at the archived web page. Then tell me who has the plan for compulsory service?

Vice President Cheney wasn't using a scare tactic. Hell, after tonight, I think it's much clearer that a President Kerry would increase our risk by waffling on the war abroad.

It's a scare tactic ONLY if there is no supporting truth to the assertion. The Demoncrats pulled the word "draft" out of their asses...TO FRIGHTEN YOUNG VOTERS. Vice President Cheney based his statement on a belief that Kerry would fuck things up so bad that it would risk another terrorist attack.

exstatic
09-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Well, I served from 1984-1998, and I can tell you that the downsizing was DEFINETLY done under Bush I.

Yonivore
09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Well, I served from 1984-1998, and I can tell you that the downsizing was DEFINETLY done under Bush I.
As a result of cuts mandated by a Demoncratically controlled Congress...

Hook Dem
09-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Just curious Ex...14 years? Why didn't you stay for 20 if you stayed that long?

exstatic
09-30-2004, 10:15 PM
As a result of cuts mandated by a Demoncratically controlled Congress...
Newsflash: George H.W. Bush served a term as President without veto powers. He probably lost the stamp. No wonder his ass got voted out.

exstatic
09-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Just curious Ex...14 years? Why didn't you stay for 20 if you stayed that long?

I got comfortable in SA (all 14 years), and had a job skill that allowed me to double my money on the outside.

Hook Dem
09-30-2004, 10:20 PM
I got comfortable in SA (all 14 years), and had a job skill that allowed me to double my money on the outside.
Sounds like good judgement to me! :wink

Yonivore
09-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Newsflash: George H.W. Bush served a term as President without veto powers. He probably lost the stamp. No wonder his ass got voted out.
Newsflash: I believe that was a veto-proof legislature at the time.

exstatic
09-30-2004, 11:30 PM
WTF is "veto-proof" legislation? When Congress passes legislation, the President either signs it, lets it take effect without signature, or vetos it.

Yonivore
09-30-2004, 11:41 PM
WTF is "veto-proof" legislation? When Congress passes legislation, the President either signs it, lets it take effect without signature, or vetos it.
And, if the Congress has two-thirds of its members that will override a President's veto, that makes them veto-proof.

exstatic
09-30-2004, 11:57 PM
101st congress
Senate 55D-45R 55%
House 260D-175R 59.7%

102nd congress
Senate 56D-44R 56%
House 267D-167R 61.3%