PDA

View Full Version : Bond Steroid Use Chronicled (I know theres a baseball forum but this trancends it)

MannyIsGod
03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/images/03/07/si_cover.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html?cnn=yes

I hope they ban him for life.

ObiwanGinobili
03-07-2006, 06:51 PM
anyone out there actually belive him before this book and article?

MannyIsGod
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Not many people thought he was clean, but to see it basically proven is amazing.

timvp
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I hope they ban him for life.

If you are going to start banning people for steroids, you better be prepared to ban hundreds of players. Bonds should be banned for life the day Mark McGwire meets the same fate.

timvp
03-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Not many people thought he was clean, but to see it basically proven is amazing.

How was it proven? He's never failed a drug test.

No doubt he was on steroids and I believe most of what is in that article, but nothing was "proven". In fact, most of what is in that article had already been published before.

MannyIsGod
I'd be down for that. I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore, but these guys are pathetic and the way they tainted the game is shitty as hell.

MannyIsGod
How was it proven? He's never failed a drug test.

No doubt he was on steroids and I believe most of what is in that article, but nothing was "proven". In fact, most of what is in that article had already been published before.Where have you seen it published before?

timvp
03-07-2006, 06:56 PM
I'd be down for that. I'm not much of a baseball fan anymore, but these guys are pathetic and the way they tainted the game is shitty as hell.

No doubt. Steroids ruined the game. I'd be all for stripping the stats and banning all steroid users, but you'd have to realize how large of a percentage of players that is.

timvp
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Where have you seen it published before?

Most of the main topics were reported on in the San Francisco Chronicle or in court transcripts that were released a couple months ago.

MannyIsGod
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Almost every star for hte past 10-20 years?

Sad man, Sad.

timvp
03-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Almost every star for hte past 10-20 years?

Sad man, Sad.

Yeah there aren't many baseball stars out there with absolutely no steroid talk surrounding them.

Peter
03-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Shit, Ruth put up his stats when his training consisted of how seeing how much he could eat, drink and fuck between games. Baseball's always been somewhat of a farce.

ShoogarBear
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I bet baseball wusses out on this because, like timvp said, it would mean going after McGwire too.

CharlieMac
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Rome had some great points today as that news broke. MLB was so happy when people were "Ooooooh"-ing and "Aaaaaaah"-ing a few years ago when McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds were "hittin' that ball real far" that they turned a blind eye to teh shit that was going on. Now it's come back to bite them in the ass.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
ESPN had some amazing coverage in their magazine a few months back - even going so far as to analyze their own lack of coverage before.

The reason most of this has been in the SF Chronicle before is because these are the two reporters for the Chronicle.

SequSpur
03-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Performance enhancing drugs weren't illegal, so wgaf.

They play every damn day, they need something.. shit.....

Manu plays more than 7 minutes and he needs gatorade....

jcrod
03-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow, just reading how much of a jerk he was. He was already a great, if not one of the greatest to play, he just got jealous and wanted all the attention. Sad.

jcrod
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Performance enhancing drugs weren't illegal, so wgaf.

They play every damn day, they need something.. shit.....

Manu plays more than 7 minutes and he needs gatorade....

:rolleyes

Its also not physically demanding like basketball and football.

midgetonadonkey
03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Not only should they ban McGwire, Sosa and Bonds from the game, they should wipe every statistic they ever got off of the books. Make it as if they never played a single inning ever.

Fuck Bonds, McGwire and Sosa for fucking up the greatest game in American history.

CharlieMac
03-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Not only should they ban McGwire, Sosa and Bonds from the game, they should wipe every statistic they ever got off of the books. Make it as if they never played a single inning ever.

Fuck Bonds, McGwire and Sosa for fucking up the greatest game in American history.

That's the easiest way to solve this little slippery slope argument of "what should have counted and what shouldn't have?" No asterisk, no nothing, just wipe it all away.

T Park
03-08-2006, 02:22 AM

I am in

100% agreement.

JoeChalupa
03-08-2006, 08:00 AM
When I played baseball I wouldn't exactly say it is not physically demanding but I was sure tired after a game.

I still love baseball but for the love of the game..not the players. Once they started paying out the major bucks the game started going down hill.

I won't even bother reading SI since most of it is old news.

Extra Stout
03-08-2006, 05:59 PM

You don't think The Powers That Be knew what was going on back in 1998 when "The Chase for 62" revitalized America's interest in the sport after the strike of 1994 had crippled it?

Selig et al can't do anything to those guys' records because their hands are dirty too.

What this means is that from now on, individual offensive records in baseball mean nothing, and a piece of the game's lore is lost forever. They sold their souls to the devil eight years ago. Now he's come back to collect what he's owed.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Interesting thread. I agree with most of ya'll, but I just think its kinda silly for people's C to E when this gets published in Sports Illustrated. Were there some people out there who really thought in the late 90's (to paraphrase max kellerman) that bonds, sosa, and mcguire's foreheads increased in surface area by 200% because of natural causes?

Gimmie a break. Steroid talk was around back then, and it shoulda been obvious. The league should get a shitload more blame because of this too. It's kidna funny if its true that 90% of the players use steroids now.

Das Texan
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
bottom line,

it wasnt illegal up until last year to do steroids.

will this cripple baseball? no.

I think most everyone already assumed that Bonds and many others were on stuff...

This era will be one that is heavily scrutinized and will recieve the ole * next to the era.

Big deal.

Baseball will survive.

CharlieMac
03-08-2006, 07:01 PM
bottom line,

it wasnt illegal up until last year to do steroids.

will this cripple baseball? no.

I think most everyone already assumed that Bonds and many others were on stuff...

This era will be one that is heavily scrutinized and will recieve the ole * next to the era.

Big deal.

Baseball will survive.

Maybe it wasn't illegal with MLB, but steroids have been illegal with federal law for a while now.

But yeah, I'm afraid baseball will survive. People pay money to see homeruns, and sadly, that's all that matters. Much like in the NBA, the general, unappreciative mainstream fan doesn't wanty to see great defense, they just wanna see Kobe or Amare dunk.

SequSpur
03-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe it wasn't illegal with MLB, but steroids have been illegal with federal law for a while now.

But yeah, I'm afraid baseball will survive. People pay money to see homeruns, and sadly, that's all that matters. Much like in the NBA, the general, unappreciative mainstream fan doesn't wanty to see great defense, they just wanna see Kobe or Amare dunk.

Some steroids are FDA approved.

ShoogarBear
03-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Not on that, but my understanding is that they were using new synthetic products that hadn't been made illegal yet.

Technically, if MLB tried to punish these guys, they might be able to sue since a) it wasn't illegal, and b) there was no baseball rule against it.

timvp
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Some steroids are FDA approved.

Human Growth Hormone Forum.

:smokin

Corky Sosa
03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I like de gane. I an hitteeng de ball very hard. I like de Mark Maawyher, he heeteeng de ball bery hard in de gane. bye bye

SequSpur
03-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Not on that, but my understanding is that they were using new synthetic products that hadn't been made illegal yet.

Technically, if MLB tried to punish these guys, they might be able to sue since a) it wasn't illegal, and b) there was no baseball rule against it.

Exactly.... I also wouldn't be surprised if people in the NBA didn't use it either.....

King
03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
You can't strip records, because they didn't do anything wrong under baseball's rules. Yeah, it's illegal, fine - but you can't do anything to baseball's history because of violation of a state/fed law. If you do, wipe the records of anyone who's ever driven drunk or had a gun charge - because those are just as illegal in baseball as steroids were. Which is not at all.

Besides, how do you know how much steroids entered into anything? Yeah, it made him stronger. It didn't control his bat control, plate discipline, natural strength, bat speed, etc. It was one of many factors that made him/them so damn good. A doesn't equal X. A+B+C+D+E+F = X.

What about all the guys who took amphetamines? Corked bats? Scuffed a ball? Extended the batters box? Do you wipe every number ever accumulated by any of them? You don't know what was legit and what wasn't. You put a policy in place where there should have been one before, and you move forward. It sucks that there wasn't a policy against steroids in place a long time ago to curb this, but there wasn't, and it is what it is.

T Park
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Don't strip the records of Mcgwire, Sosa, and Bonds.

Then baseball will continue to be the laughingstock of sports.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 10:55 PM
This is why if someone is going to use steroids they have to use steroids earlier in life, the ones that survive could come into the mlb and be great, and they are already big, so they can just stay at the level they are at.

King
03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't strip the records of Mcgwire, Sosa, and Bonds.

Then baseball will continue to be the laughingstock of sports.

Check out the NFL CBA meetings and tell me who's the laughing stock. Fans will still be fans, regardless. You can't strip the records, because then you set a very dangerous precedent. You accept that you should've had a much stricter policy, create one, and move forward. What's done is done.