PDA

View Full Version : Beno has improved his handle

Solid D
03-07-2006, 11:43 PM
haters don't be hatin'

:smokin

T Park
03-07-2006, 11:46 PM
He brought the ball up against full court press?!?!?

I musta missed that.

timvp
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Rasho could bring the ball up versus Sam Cassell :)

exstatic
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Lindsey Hunter isn't severing his fucking arms at the wrist. Amazing what a difference that makes...

Solid D
03-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I guess there's always 8-second Nick.

I'm referring to cross-overs, dribble penetration and full-speed 360s and finishing with the right hand (he's lefty).

Solid D
03-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Haters, everyone of ye.

T Park
03-07-2006, 11:56 PM
No, just realistic.

When Beno doesn't let Lindsey Hunter and Bobby jackson get in his head and bring the ball up, then he will be fine.

spurs=bling
03-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Haters, everyone of ye.

you know i'm not a hater. :spin

exstatic
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
If Nick's elbow heals, he'll be a factor. Otherwise, Beno has the court vision, passing, and shooting to keep him on the bench.

I thought Pop overreacted in the Finals. He eventually settled on Barry and Manu when Tony wasn't on the floor, but what they did was determine who was covered by Hunter, and the OTHER one would bring the ball up the floor. They could have done that with Beno.

T Park
03-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Beno has great talent.

Just not the head.

That simple.

Solid D
03-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm living in the now. Like I say, Beno's improved his handle. Did I say Beno has stayed the same as las' year? No...I just checked with myself and I confirmed I did not say that.

Don't be hatin' and a livin' in the past.

exstatic
03-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Dude is a SECOND YEAR PLAYER at the toughest position on the court.

timvp
03-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Beno's handle is improved, but he just got lit up by Sam I Am and cost the Spurs the game. At the end of the third and beginning of the fourth, Beno got burnt and put the Spurs in the hole they could never get out of.

2centsworth
03-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Beno's handle is improved, but he just got lit up by Sam I Am and cost the Spurs the game. At the end of the third and beginning of the fourth, Beno got burnt and put the Spurs in the hole they could never get out of.
Sam can light up anybody. Tony has been lit up a few times by Sam. There's a reason why the Clips are over .500 for the 1st time since '92, Sam Cassel.

exstatic
03-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Sam I Am has lit up more than a few players, some of them even starters. This was the trap game of the road trip.

timvp
03-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Sam can light up anybody. Tony has been lit up a few times by Sam. There's a reason why the Clips are over .500 for the 1st time since '92, Sam Cassel.

Yeah, no question. Cassell is someone who you have to guard a while to understand how he plays. That's why he was so effective early in his career and why he always destroys rookies. He has an odd game that is really tough to pick up on. I don't really blame Beno for getting lit up but honestly, that's why the Spurs lost the game. Parker had him under control until Beno tried to guard him.

boutons_
03-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Spurs frontcourt killed them tonight.
Killed on the boards, and scored shit.

2centsworth
03-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Cassell only had 15pts but did have 11 dimes.

I think I gotta side with buttons on this one and say the spurs front court wasn't very good tonight.

boutons_
03-08-2006, 01:10 AM
'.500 for the 1st time since '92, Sam Cassel."

only one reason. Elton's big improvement, Kaman, Cuttino. And Vlade was a good pickup.

exstatic
03-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, no question. Cassell is someone who you have to guard a while to understand how he plays. That's why he was so effective early in his career and why he always destroys rookies. He has an odd game that is really tough to pick up on. I don't really blame Beno for getting lit up but honestly, that's why the Spurs lost the game. Parker had him under control until Beno tried to guard him.

I hardly ever disagree with you, timvp. The Spurs lost this game because they left it in reach. It happened to come down to Sam getting hot, but it could have been any player. The Spurs were flat and uninspired. They could never get separation.

2centsworth
03-08-2006, 01:12 AM
'.500 for the 1st time since '92, Sam Cassel."

only one reason. Elton's big improvement, Kaman, Cuttino. And Vlade was a good pickup.Dude, every team Sam Plays for wins. Elton and Kaman were there last year, Sam just makes them way better. KG would probably agree with me. Cuttino is a semi-scrub and Vlade's only been there a few games. Plus, it's the freakin clippers who always have talent but suck anyways.

timvp
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
4:48 Beno Udrih enters the game
4:03 57-59 Chris Kaman makes layup (Cuttino Mobley assists)
3:25 57-61 Sam Cassell makes 11-foot two point shot
2:46 57-63 Sam Cassell makes 12-foot two point shot
2:02 59-65 Elton Brand makes 12-foot running jumper (Sam Cassell assists)
1:17 59-67 Sam Cassell makes driving layup (Elton Brand assists)
0:03 59-69 Elton Brand makes 13-foot jumper (Sam Cassell assists)
0:00 End of the 3rd Quarter

Beno enters the game. Spurs go from tied to ten down with Sam Cassell doing all the damage with Beno on him.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Gotta say,

gotta put some of this loss on pop.

Leaving Beno out on Cassell time after time was stupid.

Bowen, Ginobili, hell, Brent Barry would've worked.

Cassell got any shot he wanted.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:17 AM
BTW, the people that made fun of the Clippers for trading for Radmonovic look silly.

TOnight showed why you want a guy like him on your team.

His threes were backbreakers.

timvp
03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
If you want to go into the fourth quarter:

12:00 Start of the 4th Quarter
11:48 59-72 Vladimir Radmanovic makes 26-foot three point jumper (Sam Cassell assists)
10:53 61-74 Sam Cassell makes 14-foot two point shot
10:19 61-76 Sam Cassell makes 14-foot running jumper

Cassell has a hand in 17 consecutive points by the Clips and outscore the Spurs 17-2 since Beno entered. Game over.

2centsworth
03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Beno enters the game. Spurs go from tied to ten down with Sam Cassell doing all the damage with Beno on him.
Timvp that's 10pts in 4 1/2 mins or so, that's bad but we've all seen a whole lot worse. Certainly not enough to blame the entire game on him, dude did come with some "O" to make up for it a little bit.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2006, 01:19 AM
BTW, the people that made fun of the Clippers for trading for Radmonovic look silly.

I still think the Sonics got a better player in Wilcox. Radmanovic is trying to demand a lot more money than he's worth and has proven to be a malcontent when he doesn't get the minutes he wants.

timvp
03-08-2006, 01:20 AM

Spurs left him wide open. Look at what Wilcox is doing in Seattle.

T Park
We will have to agree to disagree.

Radmonovic is a stud shooter, who reminds me alot of Kiki Vandewge (spelling, dont care).

2centsworth
If you want to go into the fourth quarter:

Cassell has a hand in 17 consecutive points by the Clips and outscore the Spurs 17-2 since Beno entered. Game over.
Dude the assist were not dunks they were jumpers by Brand, Ross, and Mobley in everyone's face.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2006, 01:21 AM
We will have to agree to disagree.

Radmonovic is a stud shooter, who reminds me alot of Kiki Vandewge (spelling, dont care).

You'd pay him $60M?

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Spurs left him wide open. Look at what Wilcox is doing in Seattle

Thats why hes such a great fit.

His kick outs from Brand, Casell, and Magette, are gonna be deadly.

Thats why Im hoping the Spurs don't play em in the first round.

If they play the Mavericks in the first round, and Vlad can avoid stepping on ankles, the Clippers will make the Mavericks work their asses off.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:22 AM
You'd pay him $60M?

No.

But no one will pay him that, so he'll settle for lower.

That simple.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
No.

But no one will pay him that, so he'll settle for lower.

That simple.

He turned down over $50M this summer.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM
I know he did.

But no one is gonna pay him 60.

Unless Charlotte gets stupid.

Kori Ellis
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM
By the way, Wilcox will be the starter in Seattle as of tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:26 AM
He will prob do well,
hes the only low post threat they have, and will get more touches.

Doesn't matter,

Noel Felix will take the spot back in no time :spin :)

Kori Ellis
03-08-2006, 01:27 AM
He will prob do well,
hes the only low post threat they have, and will get more touches.

Doesn't matter,

Noel Felix will take the spot back in no time :spin :)

They are actually converting Noel to a long defensive minded 3. (sound familiar?) He probably will see just a few minutes at the power forward spot.

T Park
03-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Making Noel a long defensive minded 3, what a novel idea.

Bob Hill owns Pop.

SenorSpur
03-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Gotta say,

gotta put some of this loss on pop.

Leaving Beno out on Cassell time after time was stupid.

Bowen, Ginobili, hell, Brent Barry would've worked.

Cassell got any shot he wanted.

I was wondering why he didn't make a defensive switch earlier.

TDMVPDPOY
03-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Beno managed to got us back into the game early in the first quarter when no one were hittin there shots.

BENO>PARKER, let beno take 20 shots or avg the shots parker takes, he probaly hit 75% of them and his stats will go up
HELL beno>livingston

exstatic
03-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Bob Hill owns Pop.
:lol:rollin

picnroll
03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
They left Beno on an island with Cassell, didn't bring help. With TP, when somebody starts backing him in, they always bring help. Beno is solid, been saying that for awhile. Just a bad adjustment by the Spurs when they started gong to Alien.

GoSpurs21
03-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Rasho could bring the ball up versus Sam Cassell :)but NVE couldnt

GoSpurs21
03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Beno's handle is improved, but he just got lit up by Sam I Am and cost the Spurs the game. At the end of the third and beginning of the fourth, Beno got burnt and put the Spurs in the hole they could never get out of.you have got to be kidding the reason the Spurs lost is because all the biggs played like school girls that didnt want to get their panties dirty.

If NVE was playing casell tonight, sam I am would have scored 80. TiMVP is a hater and is blind to reality

Peter
03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
You got your wish and the Boy Wonder cost them the game.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM

What is it about his game that makes him so difficult to guard, compared to any other jump shooting point guard in the league?

leemajors
03-08-2006, 12:48 PM
What is it about his game that makes him so difficult to guard, compared to any other jump shooting point guard in the league?

he can post pgs up, and has a great fadeaway in the post. besides that he is just a really clutch shooter.

T Park
03-08-2006, 02:22 PM
If NVE was playing casell tonight, sam I am would have scored 80. TiMVP is a hater and is blind to reality

lol

Beno stinks, and yet, hes a "hater"

Take a coldshower GoSpurs, your totally losing it.

Slo spurs fan
03-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Beno stinks

No, fat people does.

kalikot_boy_kr
03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
:drunk beno! beno! beno!....... :drunk but......... its a mistake!...we losssssssssssssssss...................ehhhhhhhhhhh h :drunk

Oh, Gee!!
03-08-2006, 05:40 PM
:drunk beno! beno! beno!....... :drunk but......... its a mistake!...we losssssssssssssssss...................ehhhhhhhhhhh h :drunk

:lol

He's back.

Solid D
03-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Beno lost the game = bad take

kalikot_boy_kr
03-08-2006, 06:10 PM
:pctoss improved his handle? :rolleyes ? but why ohh why? damn i lose 500$ bucks!!!!!! :drunk :drunk

T Park
03-08-2006, 07:52 PM
No, fat people does.

Thats intelligent.

T Park
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Beno had a hand in it, with his poor defense on Cassell.

SequSpur
03-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Beno is a good shooter. Thats about it.

He's to little to be a shooting guard, so he needs to get waived.

boutons_
03-08-2006, 07:55 PM
And Saint Timothy's defense on Elton and in the paint was faultless?

angel_luv
03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I think over all Beno is having a very good year and have no doubt that he will continue to improve. :)

picnroll
03-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Beno had a hand in it, with his poor defense on Cassell.
Where was the help defense? Cassell backed Beno into the paint and took the turn around J. Somebody should have come to double him off the paint. It wasn't Beno's fault it was the Spurs' failure to play team D. Parker would have been burned as bad or worse, and has been in the past by Sam, without help D.

T Park
03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Parker would have been burned as bad or worse, and has been in the past by Sam, without help D.

Or worse??

Are you gonna tell me Beno is a better defender than Parker?

Mohammed, Horry, and Rasho's help D last night sucked dick I agree, but Beno letting himself get backed down like that didn't help.

And Saint Timothy's defense on Elton and in the paint was faultless?

Not without fault, but who is?

I know you can find fault in EVERYONE sunshine,

but Tim forced some fall aways and some outside jumpers that he made.

Brand is an all star, hes gonna have games like last night where you tip your cap, and move on to the next game.

That simple.

timvp
03-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Cassell was 2-for-7 thru the first 32 minutes of the game. Beno comes in and Cassell goes 5-for-6 and it goes from a tie game to the Spurs down 15. And yes, the double-teams came and Cassell hit the open players. Did you see when he hit Radmanovic wide open in the beginning of the fourth? The Spurs sent all types of help Beno's way.

I'm not trying to bash the guy, but to pretend that there was no noticeable drop in effectiveness with Beno on Cassell is silly.

T Park
03-08-2006, 08:28 PM
but to pretend that there was no noticeable drop in effectiveness with Beno on Cassell is silly

Oh Timvp, your just a hater (rest of the forum)

timvp
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Yeah a hater who is on record as saying he'd like for Beno to win the backup PG spot. But I'm not going to sugar coat it when Sam Cassell has a hand in each point of a 17-2 run starting the very minute Beno starts guarding him.

Obstructed_View
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
The trick is to keep playing him and give him a chance to develop, or not develop. He's shown signs of going either way. It'd be nice to find out for sure before having to just throw him in against playoff teams again. Van Exel is not a lock to give you lots of minutes at the backup point spot through the entire post season.

SequSpur
03-08-2006, 09:48 PM
This one is on Pop.

Dude has an excuse for everything. Listen to the Pop show.

The Spurs Corporate Knowledge is to lose the second game of a back to back and win all the single road games. The Spurs play 4 games in 5 days. He don't give a fuck about the regular season.

Get used to it.

T Park
03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah a hater who is on record as saying he'd like for Beno to win the backup PG spot

I agree.

Id love to see him win the spot back.

Like Mohammed won back the center position.

Udrih gives this team instant offense off the bench with his great shooting ability.

But his defense, and his poorn ball handling against the press is the reason hes numero tres on the depth chart.

timvp
03-09-2006, 12:30 AM
his poorn ball handling

TMI.

:vomit

kalikot_boy_kr
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
:rolleyes pareng beno..lol!

T Park
03-09-2006, 12:57 AM
lol

POOR

my bad.

Solid D
03-09-2006, 02:38 AM
timvp - I watched the entire game again and Beno did a good job defending Sam. I saw it correctly the first time.

In the first half, Beno defended Sam and in a 2 minute sequence poked the ball loose from Sam, diving on the floor and forcing a jump ball. The next trip down, he stripped Sam clean and started a fast break the other way. A few plays later, he D'd up on Sam and forced a huried pass out of bounds for another TO. Sam did not score on Beno in the first half. In fact, he scored on Gino who switched because TP got picked off. The one time Sam tried to post Beno up, Tim immediately doubled.

In the 3rd quarter when Sam got going, he isolated on TP and rose up for an short jumper to get his 2nd FG. When Beno came back in, Sam went to post up Beno on two straight trips. Beno played good positional D on Sam but the Spurs did not double and Sam was able to turn away from Beno and score. The Spurs doubled exactly one time the entire time Beno was defending Sam (with Tim) and so Sam hit Radmanovic for a 3 with Horry dropping down. Sam also scored on a baseline handoff and Beno actually was all over Sam but he was able to flip the ball up and convert on a flip-up blind, backwards attempt.

In the 4th quarter, Sam did knock down a mid-post turn and fade shot over Beno who was up on Sam and once again, there was no double team.

The Spurs scorers did nothing to retaliate nor rebound so the Clips made their run that made the difference.

The rest of the time, 1st and 2nd half, Beno defended Livingston and the only time Livingston did anything on Beno was 1 time when he went baseline late in the game and Bruce and Tim weren't able to provide help baseline help.

I'm sorry but Parker did nothing exceptional on defense versus Sam and Beno actually hustled and played well positionally, not to mention outdueling Sam in the 1st half (and prior to Sam dislocating his pinky). Sean Elliott and Dick Stockton both complemented Beno on his play and the fact that even 6'8" Sean Elliott himself got posted up and scored on by Sam I Am.

Go ahead and try to pin this loss on Beno, but watch the entire game again and see what I saw the first time, much less confirmed it the 2nd time I watched. Beno played well and he didn't get a lot of help from his mates. You gotta recognize that the Clippers just outexecuted the Spurs.

The original thread topic still stands. Beno has improved his ballhandling this year.

T Park
03-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Tell me how improved it is, next time he fumbles away a ball against a full court press.

Solid D
03-09-2006, 02:46 AM
I've moved on from last season and so has Beno.

T Park
03-09-2006, 02:59 AM
He has??

Bobby Jackson, and others would disagree.

Solid D
03-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Yes he has. Udrih has exactly 1 turnover in the 2 games he's played against Bobby Jackson and the Grizzlies. Tony Parker has had games of 5 TOs, 5 TOs, and 1 TO (11 Total) against Memphis and Mr. Jackson this year.

This isn't even about a comparison of TP and Beno because Parker has been a key for the Spurs this year, but I see an improvement and your argument hasn't really had any teeth in it as far as 2005-06 goes. Meanwhile Chris Paul and Speedy Claxton got stolen blind by Smush Parker in the last minute of the game to give their game away tonight.

timvp
03-09-2006, 03:52 AM
In the first half, Beno defended Sam and in a 2 minute sequence poked the ball loose from Sam, diving on the floor and forcing a jump ball. The next trip down, he stripped Sam clean and started a fast break the other way. A few plays later, he D'd up on Sam and forced a huried pass out of bounds for another TO. Sam did not score on Beno in the first half. In fact, he scored on Gino who switched because TP got picked off. The one time Sam tried to post Beno up, Tim immediately doubled.

Beno played well in the first half. No doubt about that.

In the 3rd quarter when Sam got going, he isolated on TP and rose up for an short jumper to get his 2nd FG. When Beno came back in, Sam went to post up Beno on two straight trips. Beno played good positional D on Sam but the Spurs did not double and Sam was able to turn away from Beno and score. The Spurs doubled exactly one time the entire time Beno was defending Sam (with Tim) and so Sam hit Radmanovic for a 3 with Horry dropping down. Sam also scored on a baseline handoff and Beno actually was all over Sam but he was able to flip the ball up and convert on a flip-up blind, backwards attempt.

In the 4th quarter, Sam did knock down a mid-post turn and fade shot over Beno who was up on Sam and once again, there was no double team.

I don't deny that Beno was playing hard and the Spurs weren't rotating well, but the fact remains that the Spurs got lit up for 17-2 run on his watch. Sam Cassell had a hand in all 17 points. Ball don't lie.

And it's not like Beno is the first Spurs point guard or the last Spurs point guard to be abused by Sam. I don't even fault him. If you haven't spent a lot of time guarding him, he's going to torture you.

The Spurs scorers did nothing to retaliate nor rebound so the Clips made their run that made the difference.

With Beno guarding the guy who single-handedly went on a 17-2 run.

You gotta recognize that the Clippers just outexecuted the Spurs.

No question.

The original thread topic still stands. Beno has improved his ballhandling this year.

Agreed.

timvp
03-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Yes he has. Udrih has exactly 1 turnover in the 2 games he's played against Bobby Jackson and the Grizzlies.

That's probably because Udrih wasn't even able to bring the ball up the court. The shooting guard had to.

timvp
03-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Spurs on pace for the most wins in franchise history and debating Spurs Basketball with Solid D.

Good Times.©

:smokin

Slo spurs fan
03-09-2006, 04:37 AM
With Beno guarding the guy who single-handedly went on a 17-2 run.

And why Spurs scored only 2 points during that time? Is this Benos´ fault again?

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2006, 06:20 AM
i blame rasho for this :D, in beno we trust

kalikot_boy_kr
03-09-2006, 08:17 AM
:drunk i blame beno for this. in rasho we trust :spin

picnroll
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
What I saw was what Solid saw. Fact is Parker, while he's a great player, gets picked off on screens and trails badly on a consistent basis. Udrih mans up, sets up on screens, fights through screens and drops down to double and defend better than Parker. I will now commit heresy. Udrih is a better defender than Parker.

In terms of bringing the ball up Beno's not the best, likely below average if it's just dribbling up. But he moves the ball well, and given one or two decent ballhandlers to go with him he's not having a problem. On the otherhand Nick tries to dribble it up,wastes time, gets trapped and makes life difficult.

In the half court Beno moves the ball while Nick screws around until the Spurs are scrambling for a decent shot as the shot clock's expiring. Just say no to Nick.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
i dont trust havin the ball in nve hands, cose u know once he dribbles up to the 3pt line his goin to release one :(:(, beno is a better ball handler then parker, only difference is beno likes to cruise up the court unlike parker who rushes down the court, thats why u dont see him havin trouble bringin the ball up.

picnroll
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Beno is not a better ballhandler than Parker.

leemajors
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Beno is not a better ballhandler than Parker.

i wouldn't argue with dude, he thinks beno is the second coming and that we should trade parker...

pache100
03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
BENO>PARKER

:lol

Solid D
03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
TDMVPDPOY - Please...let's not get carried away. Parker is a one-man press break and is a somewhat unique player in the NBA in that regard.

T Park and timvp, passing is still a fine basketball option to a press break or press attack. After all these years, it is still the fastest way to get from A to B, so there is no shame in that.

This thread was started at the end of the 1st half of the Clipper game following Beno's use of a nice cross-over dribble penetration splitting the sagging D, followed by another sweet dribble and 360 spin move down the lane and finish with his off hand.
He's gotten better at dribble penetration and a little stronger with the ball, than his rookie season (2004-05). That's all.

This is not an I Love Beno thread and for that matter, if I were a Spur I'd rather Beno have his hand on the ball than on my back in the Spurs huddles.

MI21
03-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Beno has gotten much better at penetrating into the keyway, and also at finishing said pentrations. Very impressed with him at times.

His dribbling against good defensive guards full court obviously needs work, but no one is perfect. I think he needs to stay lower and lose some of the junky dribbles moves. They work fine when the defense is running at you, or sagging off, but he isn't good enough with them when he has tight defense on him to justify using them so often.

Another thing though. I wish he would protect the ball better after he has gotten past the initial perimeter defender and rises for the shot. I've seen the ball get stripped off his knee or just out of his hands plenty of times this season.

Overall I have been pretty happy with him, and the Spurs have got themsevles a decent backup PG for a long time if they keep him.

PS - Overall, his ballhandling has most certainly improved. Solid, as usual, was spot on.

Solid D
03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
His dribbling against good defensive guards full court obviously needs work, but no one is perfect. I think he needs to stay lower and lose some of the junky dribbles moves. They work fine when the defense is running at you, or sagging off, but he isn't good enough with them when he has tight defense on him to justify using them so often.

Another thing though. I wish he would protect the ball better after he has gotten past the initial perimeter defender and rises for the shot. I've seen the ball get stripped off his knee or just out of his hands plenty of times this season.

That's a fair assessment, MI21 I agree.

TDMVPDPOY
03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I reckon pop should make bruce or gino gaurd him in practices instead of......

picnroll
03-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Beno has short arms for his size. Makes it hard for him to dribble keeping the ball away from long armed, aggressive, savy defenders.

timvp
03-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Udrih is a better defender than Parker.

Pretty bold statement. I don't even think it's a fair statement at this point because Beno has played so few minutes this season. Beno is a pretty good defender but can sometimes be beaten off the dribble in one-on-one situations and isn't always the fasting rotating defender. I think he's average although he has really tried hard this season. But as always, the backup QB is always the most popular person in town.

It's hard for me to win that argument when Beno plays like once ever third game ... and even then, it's again the other teams third stringer most of the time. Makes him look good because he can use all his energy to man up defensively and wow the crowd with slick new dribble moves. (Even if the guy he's guarding goes on a 17-2 run, it's not his fault of course.)

The day that Pop starts inserting Beno for defensive purposes is a day far, far away.

timvp
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Beno has short arms for his size. Makes it hard for him to dribble keeping the ball away from long armed, aggressive, savy defenders.

He's going to have to figure it out. You can't have a point guard who can't dribble the ball up versus a full court press.

Early in Steve Nash's career, he had the same problem. What he had to do was drop about 20 pounds and work constantly on agility and speed drills. It'd be nice if Beno dropped about 15-20 pounds and put in the same work.

kalikot_boy_kr
03-09-2006, 05:41 PM
:lol beno> dog......parker>cat :lol

picnroll
03-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I actually don't think Beno gets beat off the dribble too often. He sets up very well, plays Pop's baseline channeling defense consistently, has good anticipation and moves his feet pretty well. He's stronger than Parke so he doesn't have as much of a problem getting bumped aside when players drive to the basket and as I said Parker is trailing his man around picks. When Bowen, Rasho, TD, Manu, and Parker are on the floor Parker's the weak link defensively. Granted Beno hasn't played a lot of minutes but I haven't seen defensive liabilities as a reason for not playing him more.

timvp
03-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I actually don't think Beno gets beat off the dribble too often.

Well tonight Andre Barrett blew by Beno three or four times. If NVE is out for a significant amount of time, I guess we'll get to see Beno AKA Michael Cooper Jr. get a little more run. Hopefully he turns into the defensive monster that some are claiming :)

T Park
03-10-2006, 02:35 AM
^^^ Exactly.

Andre Barrett, who couldn't make it through a week with the Spurs.

Blew by him many times, and he also was open for quite a few jumpers as well.

Im sure thats not Beno's fault there either.

Obstructed_View
03-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Hopefully the Spurs have a lot of leads so he can get some work. If he is what some here say he is then let's find out and get something of value for him in the off season.

Kamnik
03-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Beno is a good shooter. Thats about it.

He's to little to be a shooting guard, so he needs to get waived.

get off the forum man and dont come back

you dont care about the spurs

i dont know if u really are that stupid or are you just writing idiotic things so u have something to do

you would waive your BEST backup point guard who is paid almost nothing by NBA standards and is really talented and a good shooter!!!

waive him

he will get a new contract in 5 minutes and he will be able to choose from several teams

MannyIsGod
03-10-2006, 04:50 AM
All I know is that Beno's shot off the dribble is money this year. Its disgusting how quick he can pull up and drain that shot. I think his ball handling has gotten better, but to be honest I see nothing above average in the least with regards to his defense.

Parker has good defensive skills, but he's having to expend a hell of a lot of energy on the offensive end. I think when the playoffs come, you will probably see Tony man up on D when it comes down to it.

timvp
03-29-2006, 01:13 AM
I gave Beno some time but I don't think he's the answer. Anytime a game gets into a playoff atmosphere, Beno shrivels up. Spurs needed him tonight and he was MIA.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of Brent Barry being the backup point guard. He's not worse than NVE or Beno defensively and will help on the boards.

Beno isn't playoff ready and NVE is crippled. Time to start playing Barry as the backup point.

SequSpur
03-29-2006, 01:16 AM
NVE is sufficient.

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Agreed 100%

Barry showed alot tonight.

Even if his shot aint going down, Barry provides length, and provides a veteran presence and has impressed me with his rebounding and defense.

Beno can go ahead and be traded along with nesterovic in the offseason.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Nick looked like he was going to pass out at the half. Another vote for Barry, though I could do without the matador D -- has anyone ever seen Radman dunk like that?

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:19 AM
If Van Exel didn't have a bum elbow Id agree Sequ, but that elbow, if its still a problem, just might have to make Barry the back up PG.

I hope to see Brent starting thursday night.

leemajors
03-29-2006, 01:19 AM
I gave Beno some time but I don't think he's the answer. Anytime a game gets into a playoff atmosphere, Beno shrivels up. Spurs needed him tonight and he was MIA.

I'm actually warming up to the idea of Brent Barry being the backup point guard. He's not worse than NVE or Beno defensively and will help on the boards.

Beno isn't playoff ready and NVE is crippled. Time to start playing Barry as the backup point.

barry also forces some favorable matchups for us offensively. i liked barry, manu, finley, horry and duncan playing together.

timvp
03-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Nick looked like he was going to pass out at the half. Another vote for Barry, though I could do without the matador D -- has anyone ever seen Radman dunk like that?

Comparing the defensive ability of Barry, Beno and NVE is like picking out the best three-point shooter out of Rasho, Nazr and Oberto. Tonight, of the three, NVE did the best job.

But that's not saying much.

SequSpur
03-29-2006, 01:27 AM
ginobili can run the point as well.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, but I thought NVE did pretty well on D tonight all things considered. Guess I just expect more from taller players.

Solid D
03-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Gino and Brent did the best tonight at the point. NVE stunk out loud because he was verrrry rusty.

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:28 AM
Van Exel's D was pretty good.

He stayed with Cassell and Livingston pretty well.

IMO, Barry should get the backup duties until Van Exel feels better, if X doesn't feel any better, than just shelv him, and go with Barry the rest of the way.

timvp
03-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Barry is averaging more rebounds in March than Rasho in similar minutes. Spurs need as much rebounding as they can get.

I love the way Barry has played since the almost trade. He's earned the backup point guard job and has proven he can handle the pressure of the playoffs.

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:29 AM
NVE stunk out loud because he was verrrry rusty.

Your Beno love clouds your watching of the truth.

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:31 AM
has proven he can handle the pressure of the playoffs.

I agree.

Barry has shown lately also, that he can knock down the 3 point shot when needed as well.

Also made some fantastic passes to guys in tough situations as well.

Barry is slowly becoming the player we hoped he would.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

timvp
Your Beno love clouds your watching of the truth.

NVE wasn't passing the ball very well. He was forcing some shots.

But I do think he played pretty good defense. Was I the only one who thought he looked skinnier?

Pop said that they would be working Van Exel out hard during his time off.

SequSpur
gino running the offense leaves finley/barry wide open all night.

gino is a threat to shoot, to drive and to dish.

he draws more attention than most superstars.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2006, 01:32 AM
C'mon Solid, Nick was just making Brent feel better about the last game by duplicating his pass to the ref.

Solid D
What does NVE's play have to do with Beno? I already acknowledged Beno's poor play tonight. Two awful passes and a few iso battles he lost to Cassell were acknowledged in the PBP and post game comments.

T Park
Forced shots??

Eh, I dont know.

He was wide open on those, and IMO, My situation with X, is the same as Barry and Fin and Bowen.

If your open, SHOOT.

Especially Finley, X, and Barry.

timvp
The ref was wide open . . .

ShoogarBear
03-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Nick looked like he was going to pass out at the half.
:lol Yeah, I noticed that, too. I was hoping he was having the dreaded "flu-like symptoms" or something.

Methinks NVE in retirement is going to be quite corpulent.

timvp
What does NVE's play have to do with Beno? I already acknowledged Beno's poor play tonight. Two awful passes and a few iso battles he lost to Cassell were acknowledged in the PBP and post game comments.

In Beno's defense, I think he got hurt on the first play of the game. If that's the case, I'll give him a pass on the horrid play.

T Park
gino running the offense leaves finley/barry wide open all night.

gino is a threat to shoot, to drive and to dish.

he draws more attention than most superstars

Barry I dont think forces passes to guys like Ginobili can at points.

There are times in a close game Ginobili will make some boneheaded passes to guys that aren't even CLOSE to being wide open.

Barry on the other hand, is pretty solid.

T Park
Methinks NVE in retirement is going to be quite corpulent.

Alright Dennis Miller.....

SequSpur
03-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Gino has 2 championships and a gold medal.

Kori Ellis
03-29-2006, 01:36 AM
I missed the first few minutes of the game and LJ told me "I think Beno just got hurt" at that time. So if he actually did, then props to him for trying to play through it.

T Park
03-29-2006, 01:36 AM
Good for him.....

SequSpur
03-29-2006, 01:38 AM
When the game counts, I want the ball going through Ginobili or Parker, I am sick of the bullshit Pop pulled against the Sonics.

polandprzem
03-29-2006, 01:50 AM
When the game counts, I want the ball going through Ginobili or Parker, I am sick of the bullshit Pop pulled against the Sonics.

Tell that to Pop. You know there are Popshows - just phone him. I want to know what he will answer you

Solid D
03-29-2006, 01:57 AM
I went back and looked at the DVR recording of the 1st few series' of tonight's game. With the score 2-0 Spurs, Beno drove around a screen, penetrated, jumped and kicked to Bowen in the corner. Beno came down on Maggette's foot, who had stepped in to collapse on the drive. Beno's left ankle twisted and rolled over.

timvp
03-29-2006, 02:00 AM
I went back and looked at the DVR recording of the 1st few series' of tonight's game. With the score 2-0 Spurs, Beno drove around a screen, penetrated, jumped and kicked to Bowen in the corner. Beno came down on Maggette's foot, who had stepped in to collapse on the drive. Beno's left ankle twisted and rolled over.

Yeah, that's the play I was talking about. I'll give him a pass on this game, then.

I still prefer Barry as the backup point, though.

Solid D
03-29-2006, 02:08 AM
The Spurs went to a 2-3 zone and gave Beno a break. The Spurs went on an 8-0 run during that time and Beno scored 4 of those points before NVE came in for him. Like I said, T Park, he did okay early.

ChumpDumper
03-29-2006, 02:17 AM
All our point guards are injured. Time for a ten-day for practice if nothing else.

MannyIsGod
03-29-2006, 02:29 AM
I've said in the past tha the offense with Finley and Barry works best with Manu because he distrubtes the ball incredibly well to them after his penetration. Tony does a good job finding Bruce in his corners but Manu does a better job with Finley for whatever reason.